Is this show worth watching?

Is this show worth watching?

Definitely, but this is better.

I'm not sure I've ever heard anything so wrong before.

Yes, but watch it on your own. The fandom is cancer and only cares about who should have fucked who.

I'm not sure I've ever heard anything so wrong before.

This. It's decent enough to merit a watch, but it's not the second coming of Christ like its fanbase makes it out to be.

Ewww

What a mature opinion, amirite?

I think calling it decent is underselling it, just because people over-praise it doesn't mean you have to give it less credit than it's due to compensate for that.

Give it a watch, OP. It's a really good show that has great characters, engaging action, good pacing and is occasionally really funny. You'll be glad you watched it.

First Post Worst Post, fucking waste of dub dubs

Yes, it's really good. Not without flaws, but on the whole, I don't think you could ask much more from an action/adventure cartoon.

I mean I love Teen Titans, even with the anime artstyle and humors, but AtLA is better. If its any consolation TLoK is inferior to TT.

i dunno it might be my nostalgia, but even when i've been rewatching it every so often starting a couple of years ago, it still holds up so damn well and the storytelling is phenomenal with some really memorable and well-written characters

in my opinion it's one of the best, if not the best, animated western series ever made

No. It's overhyped SJW bullshit.

It won a peabody award for it's characterizations. It's pretty top-notch tbqh. It takes a while to get going, which sucks and makes it hard to get into, but once you hit the second season it's one of the best cartoon ever made, possibly the best.

Sorry man, that is not how it works at all:
TT > ATLA >>> TTG > LOK

you're thinking of the legend of korra

avatar the last airbender is a god tier show

AtLA > B:TAS > Justice League > TT > TTG > >TLoK = CatDog

Ultimately every cartoon is SJW bullshit, because real-world differences are not treated realistically enough, especially those between the sexes.

Your opinion is bad and you should feel like shit.

They're cut from the same cloth. Avatar is just ever so slightly more subtle about it.

They didn't use to be like this. Now that PC theocrats are in control of all the institutions though, it's another medium ruined

>They didn't use to be like this.
I said every cartoon, including those made long before the term even existed.

>HEY LOOK! I USED A BUZZWORD! A-AM I COOL NOW GUYS??

Now you're just revising history

No. If you've watched any anime ever, you've already seen it.

Don't insult TT by comparing it to ATLA.

No, I'm not. Do you not remember the "girl power" of the 80s and 90s?

Again, that was after Marxism gained control. I'm talking about before.

Get out of here boi.

>If you've watched any anime ever, you've already seen it.
>Don't insult TT by comparing it to ATLA.
I'm actually inclined to agree, but I'm curious as to your reasons, especially given that TT is often considered just as close if not closer to anime.

master ruseman detected

Marxism has never gained control in the West, otherwise most people wouldn't be worrying about if they can pay their bills practically 24/7 now. Don't fall for propaganda and use terms you don't know the actual meaning of.

TT used anime cliches like faceplanting and Chibis and sweatdrops gratuitously, but that's only superficial stuff. ATLA was a very by-the-numbers shonen series, whereas TT didn't stick to anime storytelling tropes at all by comparison.

Cartoons have never been realistic in that sense, not since there were cartoons complex enough to even have concepts like that. It just got steadily worse (more unrealistic) over the decades.

But how is that a reason for it being so much better that it is an insult to even compare them? Ripping off a style doesn't make a work inherently bad, you know.

The way I see it, Titans had soul and Avatar didn't. Titans was its own thing and told its own story, while the entire appeal of Avatar was "It's anime... but made in THE WEST so it's not!" It's not creative, it's not original, so it's an insult to say that something that generic is even close to the same tier.

It's like comparing, oh hell, Bayformers to The Prince of Egypt or something.

Of course, I am being a butt hyperbolic.

*bit hyperbolic, thank you autocorrect.

But again, there's nothing inherently wrong with taking a generic plot and writing it extremely well.
In fact, my problem with Avatar is that, unlike TT, it felt like most of the episode writers were hacks.

Nothing is truly original, and The Hero's Journey is definitely not exclusive to anime. Storytellying is all in the execution, which for the most part ATLA did a good job at.

>Storytellying is all in the execution, which for the most part ATLA did a good job at.
When Ehasz was writing it. Most of the other writers were quite terrible - and not just Bryke.

>there's nothing inherently wrong with taking a generic plot and writing it extremely well
I'd agree with you in another case, but the cast was insufferable, the humor unhumorous, and they couldn't even make up for these flaws with fan service. Toph and Azula were the only interesting characters, and the latter got utterly shafted.

What so SJW about Avatar? It was one of the more conservative shows to come out during it's run.

Don't forget his wife. Tim Hedrick had some solid episodes too.

Um, there were literally multiple episodes about sexism. In the first season. In a show where the female characters constantly got ridiculous powers compared to the male ones.

>Don't forget his wife.
Sorry man, I know this is a popular opinion but I don't share it. Looking back at her episodes, they are nowhere near the quality of his, and contain some really infuriating moments.
>Tim Hedrick had some solid episodes too.
Yes, this is correct. That's why I said "most".

Only Katara springs to mind about female empowerment. The others femake characters' genders aren't relevant outside of romance.

>female characters constantly got ridiculous powers compared to the male ones.
Only Azula, and for a reason.

yes
it peaks with season 2 but its still good

Perfection.

>CatDog
Is there a worse 90s nicktoon?

Aaron is still the best, but Zuko Alone and Southern Raiders are top tier in my opinion.

Rocket Power

The first full sexism episode was about Suki, not Katara. Suki was also ridiculously OP compared to say Sokka, she became fucking Spider-Woman in one episode. Same goes for Ty Lee with her literally impossible jumps, BTW.

And it wasn't just Azula, Katara and Toph also got massive powerups. Remember that Katara was actually beating Azula in Book 2, and as for Toph that's quite self-explanatory.

And how was June beating that guy in the bar?
And just where does Mai keep all those knives?

Why do people hate that show again?

No, skip to korra

The show is chock full with OP characters, male and female. What about Iroh, Bumi, Ozai and Aang? It's an action cartoon for fuck's sake.

>Aang
He's a demigod.

Iroh, Bumi, Ozai are all fully grown adults who've had decades of training and experience during wartime, whereas the other people named are sheltered teenage girls.

Zuko Alone yes, but TSR (along with TWAT) apparently had some serious backroom writing shenanigans (read: Zutara stuff) to the point that I'm not even sure how much of it was her idea.
Regardless, episodes like The Northern Air Temple, Return to Omashu, and The Avatar and the Firelord have really serious writing issues.

>Suki was also ridiculously OP compared to say Sokka
Sokka was established as an unskilled warrior. His only real strength until book 3 was his smarts and planning skills. It's unsurprising to have actual trained warriors (the Kyoshi) be stronger than him. What do you think the sword episode with Piandao was for?

>Same goes for Ty Lee with her literally impossible jumps, BTW.
This was explained through her circus background. Jet IIRC did similar things.

>And it wasn't just Azula, Katara and Toph also got massive powerups.
Aang for one thing. Sokka, and Zuko when he learned to Fire Bend without aggression.

>Remember that Katara was actually beating Azula in Book 2,
Zuko was there. Plus, Azula lost her edge since she was going insane.

>And how was June beating that guy in the bar?
Rule of thumb. In fiction, nameless characters are disposable by actual characters, regardless of gender.

>And just where does Mai keep all those knives?
Hammerspace.

I'm still not seeing a problem man, unless having powerful female characters is that big of an issue for you. Azula and Toph are prodigies. Katara's power up at the end of book one was pretty bullshit, I'll grant you that, but I can understand why they did it.

"Decent" is the most I'm willing to give it. It's not bad by any means (except for the Deus Ex Rock-ina at the end), but nothing about it is groundbreaking either.

Except Zuko and his arc, which were both phenomenal (again, except for some dumb shit they pulled at the end).

Those episodes are weaker for sure, but I wouldn't call them bad episodes. I can't think of any serious issues with Avatar and the Firelord though that aren't just nitpicks.

That one is the worst of all of those for one big reason: Iroh's speech at the end. It also has other problems, but that one speech manages to simultaneously damage audience interest (as the finale reunion was no longer the first time Iroh spoke to Zuko again), Iroh's own character, and even one of the major themes of the show.

In regards to cartoons, in leaps and bounds above it's peers in writing. It's not groundbreaking like you said, but It was a fresh visit. It even manages to outdo anime in some layers.

I can agree on the first part, but I still think the finale reunion still has plenty of emotional impact. I'm guessing the theme you're talking about is about finding your own destiny, but I don't think the fact that Zuko is Roku's great-grandson detracts from that. Iroh presents the choice, it's up to Zuko to act on it.

Which "peers" are those? There wasn't a whole lot of good stuff on at the time, so it's not exactly clearing the high hurdle. And what "anime" does it outdo?

Yes. It's a very quality show.

>It's unsurprising to have actual trained warriors (the Kyoshi) be stronger than him.
Do you even sex differences? Thanks for reminding me, though, I forgot to mention how Suki was clearly portrayed as physically stronger (particularly in her debut episode), not just more skilled.
>Jet IIRC did similar things.
The dude needed a rope to get up to his own fucking treehouse. What are you talking about?
>Sokka, and Zuko when he learned to Fire Bend without aggression.
Not remotely on the same level. Not even close.
>Azula lost her edge since she was going insane.
We're talking about Book 2, not Book 3.

Your last two points don't work at all.

LOK being dogshit isn't bait.

Yes. In fact go watch it right now.
I acknowledge your good taste but respectively disagree.

name a better non-episodic cartoon from the West

I would say it is as good as over the garden wall.

>Not remotely on the same level. Not even close.

Zuko literally fought Azula on even footing after his power-up you fucking dunce. Stop posting.

Not the same person, but the reason why Iroh's speech is so bad is because of just what he's saying about Zuko and how Aang's side of the story outright contradicts it within the same episode.

Zuko was banished for speaking out of turn to protect new soldiers, and in Zuko Alone, the kind of person he is laid out by his mother: someone who keeps trying even when it's hard. So even when he was an antagonist, he still tried to do what he believed was right, and that's why we get scenes of him putting others above his own needs, like his crew in The Storm and the pregnant couple in Zuko Alone. The only thing making him a villain was the circumstance he was placed in.

Iroh's speech throws that conflict out by saying that it's his eugenics, since his lineage is that of evil Sozin and good Roku, which is stupid since Azula is a lost cause to Iroh despite her sharing that lineage. And Aang discredits it directly since he points out that they were both from the Fire Nation and saying anyone was capable of doing great good or great evil.

>Do you even sex differences? Thanks for reminding me, though, I forgot to mention how Suki was clearly portrayed as physically stronger (particularly in her debut episode), not just more skilled.
Physical strength, especially in fiction, pales in comparison to skill. Are you saying you can beat up a female mma fighter? The time when Sokka was trying to be a Kyoshi warrior had him outmatched with hand-to-hand skills.

>Not remotely on the same level. Not even close.
Sokka is strong for a non-bender anyways. He's definitely better than Suki and should be at Ty Lee's and Mai's level. Zuko showed off a bunch of techniques After the sun warriors and finally started stepping towards lightning. Honestly, Toph's metalbending was very situational (only the meteor bracelet) and Katara's healing wouldn't be considered a massive powerup in universe since healing is an expected task for female waterbenders. The only truly overpowered technique Katara had was bloodbending but due to her character and morals, she neglects on using it.

>We're talking about Book 2, not Book 3.
Right, my bad. Her dominating doesn't really mean she was a better bender than her at that point. If anything, we should brush it off as an inconsistency/bad writing.

Literally the first fucking reply:

>which is stupid since Azula is a lost cause to Iroh despite her sharing that lineage

He didn't give up on her.

Feel like people forget their fight in the Southern Raiders. Azula was still mostly herself and Zuko pretty much went toe to toe with her.

Oh yeah, that shit was dumb. I forgot about half the shit Iroh said, he was an asshole sometimes.

>Sokka
>at Ty Lee's level
>or better than Suki

No to both of those. He probably couldn't take Mai in a fight either.

I'm not forgetting shit. Thing is, in that case it was the opposite problem - Zuko being older but so much worse at firebending than Azula, despite their similar amounts of training, was the unrealistic asspull that time. But they did provide a pretty good reason for it with the different sources of firebending, and so him getting stronger after that point made sense.

>the opposite problem - Zuko being older but so much worse at firebending than Azula, despite their similar amounts of training, was the unrealistic asspull that time.

You don't know what unrealistic is, or what an asspull is, or what a problem is.

You don't know what an opinion is.

It had the most deus ex machina ending in the history of cartoon television, but the buildup to it wasn't too bad. It was pretty good at showing the effects on a war torn world without diving too deep into (((worldbuilding))).

what was wrong with the world building?

>In a show where the female characters constantly got ridiculous powers compared to the male ones.

What did he mean by this?

Azula was just more talented and more connected to her element when they were younger.
As Zuko got over his trauma and became more balanced, he was able to fuck with her blue flames.

it's pretty amazing. hands down one of the best western shows i've ever seen.

just avoid legend of korra for the love of all that is holy, or atleast watch half of korra afterwards if you really want to.

The more I think about it the more I'm convinced both Zuko and Azula were born prodigies but Zuko was just taught the "wrong" way to fire bend.