He boldly stood up for what he believes in, despite the adversity against him

He boldly stood up for what he believes in, despite the adversity against him.

Isn't this a virtue, taught frequently in comics and cartoons? He ought to be commended for what he did.

>boldly
>lazily tries to sneak in references that condone murder
>half asses it and everyone chimps out at him, rightfully so
Sure was bold. And his art is shit, too.

>Isn't this a virtue
Not really no
>taught frequently in comics and cartoons?
That much is correct

The concept of obstinate self-importance spouted in media is pretty prevalent. Then again the pussy whipped, tolerance and compromise, bow your head and accept your place other end of the spectrum isn't any better but that's not really saying much
>He ought to be commended
No

He's simply exercising his religious rights

As someone who 100% disagrees with the guy and thinks he's an idiot and is part jewish, I actually do respect the guy for not backing down. IMO it would have made it worse if he had no conviction in his beliefs because that would have shown that he was only doing it to purposely offend people in the first place.

He didn't "boldly" stand up for anything.
To boldly stand up for principles you believe in requires open honesty about those principles and a resolve to defend those positions against attack by putting yourself in the path of criticism. That's called standing by your word. That's called having integrity.

He did nothing of the kind.

He lied. He deceived. He exploited people's trusts. He scammed. He stole. He took money claiming he would take the responsibility to produce his employers' desired artwork.
He broke his word. He broke their trust. He attempted to destroy what he promised to protect.
Instead of contributing positively as he promised he deliberately undermined the comic's intended message of inclusion and tolerance and purposely alienated a portion of the readership, costing sales. Deliberately and with forethought.

That was the action of a coward who holds so little belief in what he "believes in" that he was unwilling to speak truth to power directly, only hurt, harm, and sabotage in the false righteousness of a traitor trying to justify his crimes after the fact.

>He boldly stood up for what he believes in, despite the adversity against him.
>Isn't this a virtue, taught frequently in comics and cartoons? He ought to be commended for what he did.

He's got no shortage of courage. But he's still a gigantic bigot, and his ideas are fundamentally and irreconcilably incompatible with any secular democracy.

Still, I don't need to agree at all with an artist's beliefs for me to enjoy their work.

BTW, that mayor in Jakarta that Syaf was protesting, actually was convicted for blasphemy on this issue.

>freedom of thought is incompatible with democracy

I believe all muzzies should be gassed, but user please.
Just as you might find his ideas abhorrent, he in turn might find yours abhorrent. All ideas are valid and you can't stop someone from thinking something just because you disagree with it.

Also democracy and freedom or decency are not related. If we voted 51% to 49% to chuck all faggots from the top of tall buildings it would be democratic.

That response is so incoherent and tangental, that I wonder how the fuck you came up with that. For one thing, you clearly missed the word "secular", for another, Sharia is it's own political system with it's own methods of selecting leadership, none of which involve allowing non muslims a vote. For a third, it's the very specific riots and protests Sayed supports that I'm referring to. Hell, it's literally in their interpretation of quaran citation he stuffed in the X-men.

I'm not sure I understand the issue in full but from what I managed to gather from a quick google search it seams that the guy tried to be sneaky, and that is the reason he got fired for. people have different interpretations of what the passage of Koran he referenced means but in my opinion the editor did the right thing. from their perspective it could be some kind of hidden hate speech, because if it was an innocent statement then he would not hide it. and if the guy first have hidden the message and then when he got caught tried to get away with it by saying "you could interpret it in several ways..." then he is just untrustworthy. I don't think he should be applauded for that.

>>Isn't this a virtue, taught frequently in comics and cartoons? He ought to be commended for what he did.

OP, that would be somewhat virtuous if he made his own comic and be open with his opinions, not by sneaking in (maybe) hate speech in a freaking X-men comic. a comic addressed to gays and generally people feeling different then most people. I would be pissed to find a hidden "kill this and that group" phrase in my comic about tolerance and the struggle to be yourself freely from oppression.

Seems pretty unscrupulous to pull a stunt like that on the dollar of the client who's hiring you to do a job. He can draw whatever he wants on his own time with his own projects without risking someone else's rep.

Actually he can't because he would eventually tie into Marvel, at least to the public view.

Well, now that he's been booted he can truly do whatever he wants and put it all out there without having to sneak it into a collaborative work owned by a company that's not his.

>get hired to do a job
>fuck that job up
>get fired
>WHAT A BRAVE MAN STANDING UP FOR HIS BELIEFS

Islam is the antithesis of the X-Men. I hope he dies of some awful southeast asian wasting disease

>people have different interpretations of what the passage of Koran he referenced means but in my opinion the editor did the right thing.

It's directly linked to a specific political protest in Indonesia, the home country of the artist. Their position is that the quote means that it is immoral and unislamic to vote any non muslims into office.

I'm not sure how it would play out. The reference he's putting in is literally just a pointer to a part of the Koran.

A rough comparison would be stuffing Leviticus - no lying with men citations in the book.

>Puts anti-Semitic shit in comic that heavily features a Jewish lead.
>Puts that Jewish lead right in front of a jewelry store so that just the word JEW is shown right beside her head.
>Lie about it on twitter and then try to claim you were just talking about peace and love.

Nah fuck that guy, he knew what he was doing he just didn't think modern Marvel would have the balls to fire a dark skinned dude.

How would you have better hidden anti-Semitic imagery or references in comics?

I wouldn't put a blatant Quran chapter number in plain view, that's for sure. That's the kind of shit you hide on background character's clothing.

Oh shit marvel actually did something right in the comics department

Just like Sup Forums ;_;

Doesn't matter, that's for Marvel to deal with. The dude is a contractor. Unless Marvel stipulates you can't be a cunt if your off-time, you can be

And Marvel clearly doesn't demand that given some of it's writers' posts on twitter.

No, he snuck stuff in as a dog whistle.

I dunno, I don't really expect a durka to repent when caught out, just thumb the detonator stud.

This.

>If we voted 51% to 49% to chuck all faggots from the top of tall buildings it would be democratic.
please

He said what only 1 billion other people are saying. "Gays are a menace worse than any other sinner" - Muslims

So did the Red Skull.

MIDF DETECTED

Sounds familiar.

i have no idea who this guy is, what's he done?

Hid not-so-subtle anti-Christian and anti-Semitic messages in a capeshit comic.

What's his name?

Never mind, my eyes and mind are affected by decades of self-abuse.

Never really understood the appeal. He's not a really good artist.

>Puts that Jewish lead right in front of a jewelry store so that just the word JEW is shown right beside her head
I don't give a shit about comics or controversy or any of that, but this sounds hilarious. Show me?