Has Ennis ever written anything that isn't entertaining or enjoyable?

Has Ennis ever written anything that isn't entertaining or enjoyable?
God-botherers with sand in their boipussy need not reply.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

no

not too sold on the Pro, otherwise most stuff is solid.

From what I've seen, 303 seems to be frequently regarded as mediocre to bad.

I'm not a fan of the second Just a Pilgrim volume. First one's great but the second one always left a bad taste in the back of my mouth.
I'm also not a huge fan of his Shadow story, felt far too long and didn't have nearly enough Shadow.
Battler Briton was one of the most paint by the numbers thing I've seen him write.
And the current War Stories ongoing, while enjoyable enough, feels terribly repetitive, though I'll concede a lot of it comes down to the art.

the first war stories had some of the best artist in the industry. The current has whatever Avatar could get out of a fetish website.

His All-Star Section 8 was so phoned in; it didn't make any sense.

I love the first half of 303, but once he gets to the States it loses a lot. Last scene is pretty cool though.
Oh yeah, fuck, I forgot. Stitched. The ONE story by Ennis set in Afghanistan that blows. Haven't seen the movie yet, though.

Oh, and Dicks: To the End of Time, Like.

>God-botherers with sand in their boipussy need not reply.
I am an atheist, but I often find him unappealing when he specifically tries to tackle religion/atheism: I'm thinking of that one Crossed arc, or Wormwood. On the other hand Preacher goes there and is regularly great when it does. Apart from that, I find Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe kind of dull.

It seems like a lot of Avatar artists got their start drawing vampire torture guro.

>Haven't seen the movie yet, though.

I bought it a while ago. It was okay, I guess, given that it was pretty a for fun ad/proof of concept thing whose running time is 1/3 end credits

I'd upload it somewhere were I not so computer illiterate.

He wrote a good Star Wars story. About a canon character and everything.

It was the Stormtrooper Leia shot in the face at the beginning of New Hope. It was about the Stormtrooper's day leading up to it.

It was interesting but you can really tell at the time he was really really upset about the Bush administration which is kinda weird considering that if you follow the logical conclusion of what would happen after the end of the story, Dick Cheney would be President and the same situation would be as is.

Does Crossed count? Because the only answer i have is Crossed

>Horsecock
>not enjoyable as fuck

Patient Zero is pretty boring if you're not interested in a "what if" scenario about 2008-era British politics.

Anyone else reading Red Team: Double Tap Centre Mass? The last issue (#9) is due out in a couple of weeks.

I've liked this series more than the first Red Team. I have a terrible suspicion Eddie is going to die in the finale though (maybe Trudy too if Ennis is feeling especially nasty).

I'm really digging it. The Trudy/Eddie thing irked me a fair bit at first, but Ennis has handled the fallout well enough, especially the bit with Trudy's ex.

Stoked

Love it. Better pacing and overall storytelling. I can't for the life of me get through the first series.

That War Stories about an Irish Regiment was pretty crap. Bizarrely so, since most of the rest are so fucking good and Ennis usually makes anything related to Ireland at least fun to read.

Some spidey cunts will tell you it's Dicks but they've got no fucking soul.

Dicks 3 is the best one user.

Should've wrote again for that new Constantine series

It had its moments.

Top Cow is that bad, yeah.

Crossed

Oh I know and Ennis himself admitted it wasn't good. That's why that scene was funny.

It's not God's fault your mother was a whore, Garth.

And yet his SB was more tolerable than other Top Cow books. It even had acceptable art and everything.

Sixpack and Dogwelder was top tier.

A bit better than A-SS8, but I wonder if this was because Dillon ded ;_;

No, because literally all of his "well written" protagonists that are good are literally copy-paste cynical anti-heroes with a perpetual 6 O'clock shadow, a bad attitude and a cigarette chomped between their mouths.Or they're world weary military types. His villains are over the top monsters who do over the top terrible things for shock value, or they're cookie cutter caricatures ripped straight from TV tropes.

His concept of humor is equally tasteless and borderline asinine in nature. If he could make a joke about skullfucking an infant, he'd do it.

Most of his dialogue recently is nothing more than strings of expletives which is substituted as narrative.

He's a hack.

>Pepe
Angry republicunt much?

Nope, just someone with an actual grasp of writing.

Fanfics aren't real writing, user.

>hurr, better call him names and attack his character because he can't actually refute what I'm saying

What's it like being a drooling retard?

Don't forget to include me in your next literary masterwork, republicunt!

Pretty succinct criticism, desu

It reminded me of the Gutters guy.

>still assumes I'm conservative

Sure thing buddy, >>>reddit.com/ is that way.

Come back when you're ready to act like an adult and not a mentally stunted toddler.

>posts Pepes and copypastas in Sup Forums
>accuses other of childish

>thinking that its copypasta
>having a problem with Pepe, one of the most iconic and easily recognizable characters on the internet

I bet you're one of those idiots who believes he's a hate symbol, too.

At least I'm not an Ennis fag.

>self-loathing republicunt

If it weren't for The Boys, his record would be spotless.

>if I keep calling him names, he'll go away

Sure thing kiddo.

>>if I keep calling him names, he'll go away

Isn't that what you're doing now?

Nah, don't go away. I love to see you cry.

No, I just want to see if any of you have anything to actually refute what I've said. Otherwise, keep giving me (you)s fag.

>actually refute what I've said
That you're not a radical Christian conservative who feels insecure at a comic laughing at your "values"?

>the boys
>Bad

weak as hell criticism DESU senpai. yes, ennis built his career on cynical anti-heroes and gritty military hyperbolic heroes, but the fact is that he distinguishes himself by his ability to portray these characters with depth and nuance. ref. his seminal runs on hellblazer and punisher especially - practically everyone who writes those characters takes cues from ennis' depiction, and for good reason. any hack can write a badass in a longcoat who doesn't afraid of anything, but ennis' great strength is that he infuses those characters with humanity and complexity by highlighting their flaws and weaknesses.

that's not even to mention his aptitude for creating original characters which run the gamut from grounded to hilarious, many of which intentionally subvert those very tropes you're complaining about. wee hughie, as an example, is an intentional break from the hard-boiled atmosphere in the boys, and it's for that reason that he's the central protagonist.

i could go on, but the short version is that you're a dull cunt with shit taste, and i invite you to go piss up a rope.

When The Boys is good it's REALLY good, when it's bad it's some of the worst shit Ennis has ever written.

>That you're not a radical Christian conservative who feels insecure at a comic laughing at your "values"?

If you keep failing to bring a tangible refutation, I'm simply going to start posting smug anime girls.

>but ennis' great strength is that he infuses those characters with humanity and complexity by highlighting their flaws and weaknesses.
>dog welder and bueno excellente
>nuanced

>I'm simply going to start posting smug anime girls
I was right in considering you a memester. Be my guest.

Indeed, glad you got the point.

>get BTFO
>I will post a smug anime girl, tat will teach him
Oh well.

>dog welder and bueno excelente
>creating original characters which run the gamut from grounded to hilarious

GONNA

Tell me then how does the ability to create a range of characters actually indicate good writing though?

We saw a large range of different characters with different motivations and styles in shows like Avatar and other serial adventures, it doesn't necessarily make its writing particularly strong with depth or "nuanced".

:^)

i'm not surprised at all that i have to explain this to someone who's posting smug anime girls, but strong interactions between a cast of distinct characters is fundamental aspect of good writing. it's called verisimillitude. it creates the illusion of a fully developed world and a natural progression of events that isn't designed to drive the narrative to a predetermined goal.

in contrast, a world where basically all the characters are interchangeable save for a few superficial attributes - like, for example, a show about cute girls doing cute things - can't be said to have a strong narrative, because it's quite clear that the school trip to the hot springs is just an excuse to show the characters in various states of undress.

Yeah. I liked War Stories. I love twentieth century military history and I actually like the grounded, less gratuitous tone he's taken with the work but that arc was boring. It was just a bunch of cunts arguing about each others fathers and Irish politics with a few scenes of combat against the Germans for good measure. Other than that it's great

>God-botherers with sand in their boipussy need not reply.
Nigga what? Ennis hates the religious institutions and has a soft spot for people with real faith, for example the mother of Tommy Monaghan in Hitman. He just likes to joke a lot.