Wonder Woman storytime

The Labors of Wonder Woman

youtube.com/watch?v=ivHRsrcsgy0

Not caught up to the thread? No worries! Each of these stories, with a few exceptions, is relatively self-contained. Though obviously the more you've read, the more you'll like it.
You can start with any writer you want.

Gods and Mortals (George Perez)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91303244/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91309099/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91350699/

Losses (Bill Messner-Loebs)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91378988/

The Contest (Bill Messner-Loebs)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91465631/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91474261/

Paradise Lost (Phil Jimenez)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91513614/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91567315/

JLA: A League of One and The Golden Perfect (Christopher Moeller, Joe Kelly)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91620693/

The Hiketeia (Greg Rucka)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91685232/

Eye of the Gorgon (Greg Rucka)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91729913/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91758835/

Marathon (Greg Rucka)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91845845/

The Circle (Gail Simone)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91874229/

Ends of the Earth (Gail Simone)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91897256/

Rise of the Olympian (Gail Simone)
The Legend of Wonder Woman (Renae De Liz)
The True Amazon (Jill Thompson)
Year One (Greg Rucka)
Extras:
The Contest (pre-Crisis)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91415540/

Manhunter: Unleashed
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91788430/

Artemis: Requiem

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/sh/rwqrasp45cfsxu9/AACi5mhCeheYFvp-L9juE0t5a?dl=0
imgur.com/a/uAnZw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

(I promise this does not involve pregnancy)

dropbox.com/sh/rwqrasp45cfsxu9/AACi5mhCeheYFvp-L9juE0t5a?dl=0

Some backstory: as many know, in 1968 Wonder Woman was completely revamped by Dennis O'Neil and Mike Sekowsky. She became a super spy, with no powers, who was trained in kung-fu. The Amazons were removed and Steve Trevor was killed off.

Now, don't let anyone tell you differently, because it's a great run, and was very well received at the time, despite a concept that seems bonkers in retrospect.

>(I promise this does not involve pregnancy)
Dropped.

How did they remove the Amazons?

However, feminist grand dragon Gloria Steinem visited the DC offices in 1972 to do a cover story on Wonder Woman for her magazine. Steinem had used Wonder Woman a lot in her earlier work as an example of an empowered woman.

But when she saw the new direction for Wonder Woman, she was totally appalled that they had removed her powers and demanded that they give them back.

The story goes that some executives who had basically no idea what was going on in the comics got upset about this and fired O'Neil, and hired long-time Wonder Woman writer Robert Kanigher back on to restore the status quo.

The Amazons decided they were sick of Earth and that they would ascend to the next dimension like Tolkein's elves. They told Diana she could come with them or stay, but if she stayed she would lose her powers.

>She has her back to me -- A perfect change to plug her before...
Oh, Clark won't let you

Wow! Did we get to see the next dimension in question? That sounds pretty out there.

A couple of interesting things came out of the new status quo restoration, to be fair, including the original Contest story that I posted before and the introduction of Nubia by Cary Bates.

But sales basically plummeted during this time, so DC was of course scrambling to come up with something. This story is the result of that, designed as a point where they would define Wonder Woman for the new era the same way they were doing with Batman and Superman at the time.

Of course, both this and Superman were total flops and back to the kid-focused direction shortly after.

Nah, it was just big shining light generic Heaven. The whole thing was very clearly pulled out of their ass and might as well have had all the Amazons getting on a bus and going on indefinite vacation.

We will be reading the Diana Prince era, sometimes called the I-Ching Era, or The NEW Wonder Woman, because it's legitimately some of her best stories.

The yellow dialogue box top left there is comics.jpg and I love it.

Today I found out the Ancient Greeks basically invented bras.

Oh, and I believe Gloria Steinem later recanted her criticism of the new direction. I'd have to look that up.

Fun fact: the overall plot of this arc was written by Mike Pasko, but various writers did the individual scripting duties.

Details?

Btw, something dumb I saw on Twitter

"Six different battle sounds"

INCLUDING SUCH HITS AS:
>severing of gorgon head
>impalement of Herculean soldier
>stabbing a minotaur in the spinal column as you ride him like horsey
>angry incoherent screaming
And more!

Quote from the front of the Golden Age omnibus that basically sums up my view of Wonder Woman:

>Strong, powerful, confident and brave, Wonder Woman was created to save the day not with violence, but with love and understanding

But that's enough butthurt for today

Another fun fact: the Comics Code expressly forbade any depiction of violence towards women until the 70's when it was slightly relaxed.

I'm actually not sure if it was OK with WOMEN committing violence against women, which might explain why Wonder Woman was always paired against any female villains in Justice League of America.

I needed to look up the whole Minoan bare-breasted thing for something and came across that the Greeks are (some of) the first peeps we know of who wore a breast-binding garment under clothes.

The Romans did too, explicitly for the purpose of making the breasts appear smaller and firmer (Romans thought big sloppy breasts were a sign of age and degeneration). But that's later.

I wonder if this is meant to be critical of the NEW Wonder Woman

In retrospect, O'Neil's "feminism" displayed in the run is really outdated even by 1968 standards, which he later admitted.

Intradasting.

Cavalier is one of those villains that got totally forgotten in the post-Watchmen era.

And of course Simone is responsible for bringing him back

If you remember yesterday I said Wonder Woman could be a playa who doesn't tie herself to one man permanently, what inspired that was how many love interests she has in the O'Neil era.

It's like Bond girls but with men. She banged a different dude like every issue. Usually they died later.

>cutting up a sword with a fucking lasso
Should have brought a katana.

>your image contains an embedded file
FBI's got their eyes on me.

Are you the one Ransoming the NHS computers?

Not me, but I totally scammed millions of dollars out of various medical offices by putting ransomware on their x-ray machines.

Not really

By the way, these hypno-tits costumes the Amazons are wearing are the costumes depicted in the very first Wonder Woman comics.

Why is there not a Wonder Woman Magical Girl Anime?

Cary Bates was also scripting The Flash at this time, IIRC.

And Len Wein was on Justice League of America, which is why he wrote the last issue I imagine.

There almost was in the 90's! I'll post the images after the story

Cavalier is a gadgeteer and it's weird.

Or just check this
imgur.com/a/uAnZw

They really had to make a 9/11 reference? Wow...

No, Artemis guided your aim, silly

That sulky eskimo is everything.

>while at the Casbah

SHARIA DON'T LIKE IIIIT!

Rockin da Casbah

Mirroring Hercules' wrestling the Cretan Bull

Also the Magic Sphere is not a sphere. It's unchanged from how it appeared in All-Star Comics #8 back in 1940, except obviously they've added the USSR and the 'Nam

>Wonder Woman just forces men into bed

Obviously it's a sphere in time, not a three-dimensional sphere.

I don't see how any of that makes sense, Diana, but I'll take your word for it.

Thanks Morrison

>reversed the polarity
Seems legit

This is a 100 Page special but of course most of it is reprint.

>there's not enough room inside the plane so she puts them on the fucking wings

\
Cav..baby, she can block bullets with her bracers.

I kind of want him to make a comeback, because he's so damn far out of Diana's league. And because panache.

>After the battle, they totally banged

Elliot S! Maggin was actually writing Batman, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Superman, and Shazam at this time so IDK why he was chosen

Imagine your body betraying you and being literally mind controlled into standing on the (INVISIBLE) wings of a plane going 2,000 mph

>good british food

Women's empowerment: opening doors for men

I had fish and chips in London (I know, boring) but it was pretty good.

But most people say London is basically just a big farce depicting what Americans imagine Britain must be like.

>CONGRATULATIONS! You are the ONE MILLIONTH visitor! Click here to claim your prize!
>not_a_trap.exe

I just realized Diana doesn't wear a bra under her costume

Everyone, including women, always say Wonder Woman has giant unrealistic tits, but honestly I've never seen it that way.

Maybe I'm just so used to generic comic book bodies that hers doesn't particularly stand out.

lol at Wondy getting pouty in panel 2

"Nope! I suck, and that's all there is to it! Don't like it? Too bad."

I've only been to London a few times in my life myself; I'm up north. I know a good few Londoners though; it's a real place. Even with a lot of tourist traps you don't have to look far to see real people living real lives.

>not your average submissive woman!
Fucking lewd

The size change along with the transformation is pretty neat. And yeah, Diana does have a waspish figure and is pretty stacked (more noticeable out of the WW costume here maybe).

Also immersion RUINED. How can I really believe in this magical society of Amazons now?

Fun fact: both the United States and Russia have had uncontrollable robot defense systems in place since the 1950's.

However in 2005, the Russian government dismantled their robots for parts to fill the increasing demand for PCs to play Dota 2.

Holy shit I didn't notice she grew, my brain just perceived it as perspective change.

This is ripping off Inception

Pretty major too. She gets like a foot and more taller and almost doubles in breadth.

>the bullets kept coming, but so did Wonder Woman!
What did he mean by this?

She looks significally more stacked when she is being drawn with thinner arms and legs. Mahnke did a pretty good job of drawing her with Amazonian proportions

kek @ that plane defense system. That's like something Marston would come up with.

This is rad.

Not a fan of Mahnke's Diana, but I do appreciate that it doesn't go too over the top with the musculature.

You know, saying "WW" takes longer than just fucking saying Wonder Woman

WE DR STRANGELOVE NOW

Oh my FUCKING GOD

>Flashpoint

Is the lasso just endless? This is some feat for powerlevel shitposting.

It is indeed infinitely long. Basically Goku's staff (though correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't read Dragon Ball since high school)

>Amazon Attack
Two shitty future crossover references in one book!

Goku's staff is just the Monkey King's staff anyway, I getchoo.

>Consider yourself PRIVILEGED, reader!

>literally holding a lasso that forces you to tell the truth
>"The bitch is lying!"

Fucking SJW horsehockey, DC is ruined forever

When I first got into DC with the New 52, the two characters I was super into were Wonder Woman and Aquaman, and I wanted to dig into the pasts of both of them.

Ultimately I got hooked on Wonder Woman and never got around to reading most of Aquaman, except some 70's stories with Aqualad.

But in the alternate timeline where I read Aquaman instead, Texas user is storytiming Aquaman

Also no size-changing here, maybe just because it's a different artist

Ang Lee's Hulk was based on this scene