Rogue One

Just watched this again after TLJ.

Why is this such a beautiful star wars movie?
What went right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Qemb3iBlp1o
youtube.com/watch?v=En8hwp4WZVs
youtube.com/watch?v=Kj3opk1QFTM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Diversity done right: blind badass force using chinaman monk

Diversity done wrong: pic related

RO was so goddamn bad, I have no idea what you're smoking

Movie understood why the galaxy under imperial occupation setting is so good

it was shit but so was TLJ

Good visuals, no story

Nigga it's better than Return of the SandWorm

Good ammout of aesthetics and other things related to original trilogy probably. I liked it too despite it being big mess overall as a movie.

I liked how they hugged instead of kissed

It feels like a Star Wars movie, all the locations feel like Lucas in his prime could have made them.

Rogue One was mediocre but it had at least a few good ideas to it.

Unlike TLJ.

In a movie where everyone could die, you actually care for the protagonists

Otherwise if they're immortal Mary Sues there's no tension.

>doesn't pretend to be an episode of Lucas' saga
>is an alright war movie in Star Wars universe
>doesn't rape the mythology
>contributes even to the original story of ANH
>includes prequel and original characters
>was not created as masturbation material for RLM and his ilk
>Mads Mikkelsen
>good soundtrack

>>good soundtrack
liar

Great cast, great characters, great story, well acted, well shot, decent writing, ticked Disney's diversity boxes without even feeling forced, gentle nods to OT without overindulgence, felt like it explored fresh areas of the existing SW universe. Main villain was a little underdeveloped, but the Vader scene was dope as shit

It was the movie that TFA should have been, JJ Abrams is a plagiarising hack, while R1 was refreshingly original and really showed him up enormously

In my headcanon TFA and TLJ don't exist

TLJ actually shifted my opinion on RO very hard.

At first I hated it because the characters were totally flat and the ending was a foregone conclusion, but upon reflection it did more than any other Star Wars movie in the way of giving the conflict between the Empire and the rebels a sense of scale and they visited more planets in this film than the entire OT put together. Yes, the characters still sucked, but it also wasn't just about them.

In TLJ, the stakes have never felt lower.

Forgot
>last 5 minutes the best Star Wars since Empire

>great characters
>great story
what?

the dialogue is excellent, who can forget:

"Rebellions are built on hope!"

Why do people say this film is for people who don't care about characters. That blind chink is more interesting than the entire sequels

It's a naruto character

inb4 some Mouseketeer says "OMG IT'S STAR WARS! YOU HAVE TO HAVE SHITTY "I REBEL!!!! DIALOGUE"
Getting real tired of these movies phoning shit in

and don't forget
"I rebel"

Am I the only one who liked
"Don't choke on your aspirations" line?

I wonder if I would've minded Vader's voice in this movie if 100 people didn't shit on it before I saw the movie.

I can enjoy it just fine.
If it bothers you, just headcanon that it got a different synthesiser later on

It's still better than -
-"You were always scum"
-"Rebel scum!"

Even "I rebel" which was cut from movie isn't that bad.

>snarky robot
>blind monk man
>big gun chinaman
>nervous paki pilot
>ben mendelsohn

All memorable characters, while the main girl and her mexican buddy were pretty bland but not completely shallow

The story was a cut above typical SW standards. Obviously it wasn't perfect, but it was still a great blend of a kind of heist-romp-meets-war-film, which is an uncharacteristically adventurous tack for a script in a Disney megafranchise

I like R1.
I don't think it's perfect, but it allowed me to enjoy a good time.

Not a single thing went right
>boring plain characters, literally cannot remember a single name
>horrible retarded plot based off of 1 (one) single line from the first star wars
>stupid scenes like the chink killing the stormtroopers with a stick, why the fuck dont they shoot him from a distance?

seriously the single worst movie i have ever seen in cinema's, and ive seen ghostbusters 2016

the movie is the embodiment of merchandise wars, whoever greenlit and made this film should be ashamed of themselves

The im one with the force chant was shit tier

Pleb

t. Rian Johnson

Your movie sucks

When I walked out of the movie theater, I felt a lot better about the movie than I did from Episode VII-VIII. In fact I had really low expectations and ended up enjoying it a lot.
Definitely need to watch it again though.

Also the Wired video where the casts answers "the most searched questions from the web" was a lot better than the one for TLJ, which was only salvaged by Mark Hamill.

This. Even the muslim did a fucking good job.

Literally nothing, it's fucking garbage and you're a huge pleb

delusional
youtube.com/watch?v=Qemb3iBlp1o

Agreed, it's not terrible, but it's basically like all Marvel soundtracks, bland and forgettable

Michael Giacchino has done a lot better in the past, just like with John Williams in the new trilogy

youtube.com/watch?v=En8hwp4WZVs

I'm suspecting Disney is the culprit considering the entirety of the marvel universe suffers from the same issue

RO was very good. The most mature Star Wars movie

After watching Last Jedi, I had a much greater appreciation of this movie. If it had any characterisation whatsoever and wasn’t such a cynical diversity push I think it could be a damn good Star Wars.

it was just a spinoff so they didn't make a big deal out of it, there was less pressure (I guess)

alse the creators were probably more into SW than the team behind TLJ

I think RO is the best out of nuSW
but that's mostly because I find the lead actress attractive

What is it with all the bunnyfu threads lately?

Considering Michael Giacchino had SIX FUCKING WEEKS to make a soundtrack for a 2+ hour movie, it's pretty good.

No, that was great on every level
Thankfully they cut that part. Jyn's hope speech is cringe, but she remains the only decent Disney SW protagonist for minor saves like that

The sad part is that even though R1 was absolute shit, the final 30 minutes are still more Star Wars then anything from the new movies.

The whole movie is more Star Wars than most Star Wars movies.

It's making all these Star Wars space battles really fucking pointless and boring, how many fucking times can you watch the same fucking shit over and over?

It was kind of meh, but the climax was freaking awesome.

>Why is this such a beautiful star wars movie?
no fucking Skywalkers in it until the very end

What about Anakin

Is that Jyn mother? Hot

>We lost so many bothan spys
>ZERO SPYS SHOWN

man bothans are so fucking good they cant even be caught on film

The Bothans died getting the plans for the 2nd star destroyer

youtube.com/watch?v=Kj3opk1QFTM
literal cancer is better than tlj, that doesn't make this a good movie

TLJ is a solid 6/10 unlike TFA 3/10
I'd put TLJ over attack of the clones

best disney movie by far
also better than most prequels

Rouge One was cool because it was a team working together, and they got the job done. The metaphorical passing the torch at the end as each character dies off was pretty unique. I think if R! got a directors cut or some shit, take out some useless crap.. replace with... it would be even better.

>being this retarded
theyre both 0/10

SOGGY KNEES!

Only a sith deals in absolutes

It's not even a star wars movie, it's a generic movie with "star wars" slapped on afterwards. It's a bad movie on its own too, btw.

Even if it has a diverse cast, they are likable and more importantly, doesn't feel forced.

There was real tension since anyone could die.

Female protag that a better actor then Daisy.

Felt like a Star Wars movie. More so then TFA or TLJ.

It honestly tried to do something that wasn't the skywalker saga, and not just doing 1930s space opera, and instead did a war story and while not BSG Season 1, did a good job of making a sci-fi war tale.

Its not the greatest film ever, but it a good film.

how the fuck is it not a star wars movie? it makes more sense in that universe than last jedi, a mainline movie

Funny I think the same of TFA

>CGI Tarkin
>CGI Leia

It’s not. It has some impressive visuals, an excuse plot, and non-existent characters. It is only fondly remembered for jerking off over Star Wars imagery and not being as blatantly awful as the recent Star Wars movies

>>What went right?

nothing

That was gay as fuck. If i was going to die i wouldve at least creampied her asshole or pussy.

i see through the lies of disney

But you only had 30 seconds....
...Oh.

>Considering Michael Giacchino had SIX FUCKING WEEKS
It's not great. It took be out of some of the epic sequences which makes me dare say it isn't even good.

The trilogy is

Ep 3
Rogue one
Ep 4

That's it

well said, it the three best films in the series.

Unronically my favorite character and I'm a hardcore christian white male.

Diversity can be good if done right.

I would probably bust in about five strokes if i was rawdogging felicity jones

Yep based user. Fucking shame that 99% of the cases its horrid.

>Even if it has a diverse cast, they are likable and more importantly, doesn't feel forced.

This. You had the white daughter of a scientist. The Hispanic captain guy was just a rebel. The space Shaolin monk played by Donnie Yen would obviously have been Asian, and since the big heavy weapons guy was his friend, it made sense for them to share ethnic background. The only questionable choice was the Paki pilot guy, but the dude who plays him is a decent actor when he's not whining about diversity.

I can agree to this.

May I commit heresy? I think the R1 score is significantly better than either of Williams’ other scores for the sequel trilogy.

Better than any of the new movies for sure. And I like the cast too, I don't care if you can't remember their names they were memorable and much better than the new cast.

>What went right?
Absolutely nothing.

i think this is my biggest issue with the movie. aren't these presumably highly paid professional writers? they chose to include these characters, instead of just writing around them. like i get it, i remember them too and they're great, but i feel like they should have more faith and commit more to their own characters and save us this uncanny valley nonsense.

It would have worked a lot better if they had gone with holographic Tarken or such. Thus the uncanny is due to the projection...

Rogue One is an extraordinary final act tacked on to a bad movie. That last 40-50 minutes is as good as some of the better moments from the original trilogy, but it's hard to justify sitting through the first hour+ on movie length.

That being said, I must be the only person on Earth who wasn't bothered by CGI Tarkin (CGI Leia is legit bad).

If they don't bring Jin back through some ass-pull for a later series starring her, I think this movie will be remembered rather fondly - especially if the other films in the franchise continue the abysmal dive that began with TLJ

Tarkin was fine

Then again so was the movie for me

The Empire is actually the Empire, not wannabees

Right? It hits the heart so much more

Disney probably insisted on having them to test how audiences react to their facial animation tech. They use our responses to improve on it and in a few years it'll be perfected.

At first I was kinda disappointed in how the flaw in the Death Star came about
I always assumed that the theme was "big complex ambitious plans never work out exactly how you think," but Rogue One changed that to "If you make everyone hate you, they will undermine you behind your back."
Both explanations work, but I prefer the former

BR2049 almost had it correct. Only when she spoke did it look a little off.

It's easier since it's a replicant

what is better, the HD rip thats like 1.6 gigs or the 1080 thats like 6 gigs

I actually didn't even notice the CGI with Tarkin. They really pulled it off well.

I have the one that is 5.64 gigs

The problem with both is the audio will never be as great as cinema

>x is bad
>tv thinks x is bad
>y turns out to be worse than x
>tv thinks x is actually a secret masterpiece
This surprises you?

>What went right?
Nothing. I can understand why people can like it, but this movie was awful.
>The characters were poorly developed and some of their most basic traits had to be made by the actors themselves
>The plot is a mess by trying to be a real world war film in the Star Wars universe.
>Thanks to trying to be a real world war film, the Rebellion act more like terrorists than a group of good people wanting to restore the Republic and mirror it. The Empire acts like fucking dunces as well, but at least they aren't the First Order.
>Tarkin and Vader have pointless conversations with Krennic which contradict each other, expressing a lack of communication that supports how the Empire is a bunch of dunces.
>The soundtrack is god damn awful, even the soulless pieces of TFA and TLJ are better.
>The Vader scene is awesome by looks alone, but it hinders Vader's character in the OT, as Vader in the OT often uses the Force against standard opponents to express his power and authority, only pulling his lightsaber out against another duelist.
>Krennic is seemingly the most competent villain in the film, but all he does is become a buttmonkey for the higher ups.
>The movie is boring. The first hour drags terribly, and by the Vader scene I was dead inside and wanted the movie to fucking end.
Even with these issues it's still proves to be the best Disney Star Wars film. God fucking dammit.