Why did every studio that tried to compete with Disney in traditional animation fail even if they made on-paper...

Why did every studio that tried to compete with Disney in traditional animation fail even if they made on-paper superior movies?

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt4131800/?ref_=nv_sr_1
youtube.com/watch?v=ZwcVFMJvlN0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Disney had pretty princesses, pandering comic reliefs, and cactchy song. All of this=MONAY

Well, many of them were bad. The good ones, however, suffered terrible marketing either because the marketing team was bad or underfunded, or Disney-hype just swallowed them whole.

It especially didn't help when 3D CG animation got popular. At that point, if you weren't 3D or Disney, kids and parents didn't bother.

Actually, Disney was failing because of 3d Cg too.

I forget to add that Iron Giant had notoriously bad marketing where, at the most, all it had were a few commercials and small wendy's kids meal toys.

Hmm, so really they kind of shot themselves in the foot then.

One of the big things that always bugged me was how Don Bluth released All Dogs Go To Heaven on the same weekend as The Little Mermaid and got his ass whupped. ADGTH is an objectively good movie, but it's not even remotely similar to TLM to compete with it so I'm not sure why he didn't release it at a different time. Not sure how common that was during that time but that particular example always bugged me.

Yes that is true, but in the later 90s Disney still had some pull to its product, however fast it was fading.

In that perspective, if disney was failing, what hope to other studios who clinged to 2D?

>Why did every studio that tried to compete with Disney in traditional animation fail even if they made on-paper superior movies?
In the 1920's? Wrong, Disney was the best.
In the 1930's? Wrong, Disney was the best.
In the 1940's? Wrong, Disney was the best.
In the 1950's? Wrong, Disney was the best.
In the 1960's? Wrong, Disney was the best.
In the 1970's? Wrong, Disney was the best.

I'm sure people will be willing to debate following decades, but I've already made my point here. Disney dominated and spearheaded animation for the better part of a century. They were already a huge business, with a fuckton of innovations and variety in various short films, feature length films, tv series, live action films, etc. They lasted longer than everyone else and have a way higher level of consistency than anyone else. The question of "why is everyone failing to compete against Disney" is self explanatory: nobody is there to realistically compete against them. If you have a knowledge, and I mean real knowledge, on animation/media/business history, it is perfectly visible that Disney is incomprehensibly ahead of everything else.

Don bluth released the film the same day of the little mermaid cause he was on a hot streak. An American tale and land before time did very well and even defeated Disney films.

I don't disagree at all they had absolute dominance over the animation industry for half a century, but I guess I'm asking more "why couldn't anyone else even get a foot in the door?"

Dreamworks: Prince of Egypt was a massive success, but then Spirit, El Dorado, and Sinbad were all only mild successes or duds despite lavish animation (especially Eris in Sinbad)

Warner: Iron Giant and Space Jam, but then Cats Don't Dance, the other Looney Tunes movie, Osmosis Jones, and Quest for Camelot all failed (although the last one arguably deserved to really)

Fox (Bluth): Anastasia and then the travesty of Titan AE

The trend seems to be a hugely successful start, and then just duds. Like, they seem so promising at first and then just fail, even if their later movies aren't actually bad. The only real exception is Don Bluth when he was solo, and even then he had a string of successful movies only followed by bad ones (Rock-A-Doodle, Thumbelina, Troll in Central Park, Pebble and the Penguin)

saviour of 2d animation is coming this october!

let's cross fingers it will make at least half a billion

>TFW the Iron Giant animators banded together to make an animation studio
>TFW when their first movie was 8 Crazy Nights
>TFW they went bankrupt

Adam Sandler killed animation. Literally.

>but I guess I'm asking more "why couldn't anyone else even get a foot in the door?"

Like you said, Disney dominated the industry.

What do you think you need to buy when you cut your finger? Band-Aids, the brand-name bandage.

Even though there are probably thousands of other brands out there that do *literally* the exact same thing just as well (and potentially even cheaper), the industry standard is Band-Aid, and it's the name people remember and think of by default. They have the largest advertising campaigns, the household presence, and everything necessary to be the de-facto option for most people.

Same applies in the animation/film industry. An amazing film will pass by unnoticed if it doesn't have the weight to throw around when advertising and campaigning for people to see it. And Disney's competitors just never had that kind of weight to throw around to compete. Pixar was the first real competitor Disney ever had to deal with in the feature-film animation department, and they didn't come around until the 90's.

Is this something I should be aware of?

Warner Bros shorts were definitely vastly superior to Disney's. You sound like a little dipshit fanboy.

Am I the only one who thinks Anastasia was really, really bad?

There's no denying that there are plenty of good shorts throughout the 20s-50s. However, Disney undoubtedly lasted the longest because they were so ahead on variety and influence. Almost all of the early studios never even bothered to make full-length features, either.

>8 Crazy Nights

The pain.

Yeah. Comparing to the disney movie of that year, bluth did way better

Can't beat a gigacorp with unlimited marketing resources. Just have a look at the scores MCU films pull despite the fact they've been shit for years.

People like what they're told to like. D*sney tells them what they like. It's an endless, very profitable, cycle.

>People like what they're told to like. D*sney tells them what they like.

Oh please. What a joke of an opinion.

if you want 2d to return you better watch this movie.

>In the 1970's? Wrong, Disney was the best.
70s Disney was shitty garbage, there was just no competition.

"hey kid, look, this is popular! let's watch this!"

Boy as I kid I had a raging hard on for this milf

I don't understand? Who is this woman? What does she have to do with Iron Giant?

Who are you? What are you talking about? What's going on?

>if someone likes something popular, they don't actually like it, they just think they do

You don't actually think this; you just think you do.

I'm confused.

imdb.com/title/tt4131800/?ref_=nv_sr_1

ooooooooh, okay.

Reverse image search gives me "girl."

Yeah... this person isn't as famous as you think, user

>tfw i love 2D so much that i will actually watch this in hopes it does well and more 2D is made

SHE LOOKS LIKE THE MOM FROM IRON GIANT. YOU DENSE FUCKS.

remember when in the 80s there was like 10 movies about mice?

And only one of them was really good?

That's one thing.

Only Flaischer made 2 Feature length animated films, Gulliver and Mr Bug goes to Town.

Warner, MGM and Universal never made any during the golden age.

Columbia Pictures released several anime films in the US including Jack and the beanstalk, TARO the Dragon Boy, the little prince and the eight headed dragon, etc.

It wasn't until the 70s when Disney started to loose ground when others tried but many of them were duds.

They had to make up for what they had, the 70s was the experimental era, then the 80s was the Dark era, when Disney was dogshit up until Who Framed Roger Rabbit who revived interest in the classics and then the Little mermaid, then the Don Bluth films which reign at the time despite being HEAVILY butchered in Editting, and of course the mediocre toy commercial films like the Transformers movie, the Care Bears movies, and such, oh and thing like the Chipmunks movie, that Hannah Barbera Heidi movie nobody watched and Latin America hated cause it wasn't like the famous anime (when people say Heidi in animation in Spanish speaking countries, they are talking, Alp no Shoujo Heidi!) And some early anime movie releases by Streamline pictures with reverse Saban style localization, but just as embarrasing.

>that Hannah Barbera Heidi movie nobody watched and Latin America hated cause it wasn't like the famous anime
Fuckin weebs...

The Disney Renaissance happened and after All dogs go to Heaven got crushed in the box office and the next film Rock a Doodle was sabotaged and Dumb down to ridiculous levels cause "kids are stupid" he went full baby shit with Troll on central park and others, and then Anastasia which was insufferable, then Warner finally tried and released films that tried the same tropes and elements from Disney buy failed like Fern Gully, once upon a Forest, and the Swan Princess, space jam was a live action hybrid that make them cash but it was a shameless toy commercial, one in a lifetime, and by the time Cats don't Dance and the iron giant came along, it felt too late despite them being more Warner-ish.

Welp, Dude, ask people what comes to their mind when they heard the little mermaid, Cinderella, Mulan, Pinocchio, sword in the Stone, Beauty and the Beast?

One thing for sure, the other Heidi animated movie from 1995, sure didn't helped.

It's pop culture marks.

Inferior marketing and brand recognition

Or are you telling me that, per say, the Goodtimes home video versions of these shows had ANY impact!?

Here's my take on all the decades.

>in the 1920s
Alice Comedies were pretty shitty, Disney only got its shit together in the late 20s with Steamboat Willie and the Skeleton Dance
>1930s
since Looney Tunes was still mostly in the Bosko era, and since Disney came out with the first feature length animated film in sound and color, yeah, Disney was the best
>1940s, 1950s, and 1960s
it gets tougher here because Disney's feature films are great, but their shorts aren't as good as Looney Tunes. an argument can be made that Disney was the best
>1970s
lol no. The 70s saw the advent of Ralph Bakshi and French animated films like Fantastic Planet. Disney's films in the 70s paled by comparison.
>1980s
Disney didn't really get its shit together until The Little Mermaid at the very end of the decade. Don Bluth and the emergence of high quality anime films from Ghibli and others mostly blew Disney out of the water.
>1990s
Disney was the best
>2000s
Disney got BTFO by Pixar to the point that Disney had to buy Pixar to save themselves.
>2010s
Walt Disney animation Studios is making great movies again, but there are also lots of great movies from Europe and Japan. It's hard to say if Disney is "the best" or not.

I was actually really excited for a 2D Barney movie.

Because they made inferior movies in practice.

>rewatch iron giant
>tons of blatant anti gun messages that completely went over my head as a kid and seemed pretty out of place and unwarranted plot wise and detracted from the movie
>read iron giant book
>COMPLETELY unrelated to the movie
>worst book ever written, no idea how anybody picked it up and thought it was anything more than used toilet paper

movie was okay but how it became so many peoples favorite thing, especially before the movie came out, i'll never know

Superman..

giant of murder

oh shit. somebody needs to cut the clip of hogwash telling the giant that he can be anything, and when the giant says superman, we just get all the clips from man of steel where buildings are falling down and people are dying

>FernGully
20th Century Fox

>once upon a Forest
Hanna-Barbera

>Swan Princess
Dunno, but IIR it definitely wasn't a Warner Bros. product either.

Spot on with the rest of your post though.

>Welp, Dude, ask people what comes to their mind when they heard the little mermaid, Cinderella, Mulan, Pinocchio, sword in the Stone, Beauty and the Beast?
Yes, but those (Disney) adaptations have definitely more of a wider impact compared to some animu adaptation that was just popular in nipland and some parts of Europe and the aforementioned Latin Americas. Yet even then in the case of the former(s) most people have at least some semblance of awareness for the original versions of those tales (whether or not through initial exposure via the Disney adaptations). That said, it's not the point I'm trying to convey. I'm just annoyed that there are people out there willing to disregard one version of a popular tale just because they're more obsessed with the other version they have nostalgia for. Not saying that it can't be the case with a few "devoted" Disneyfags (going back to that whole impact thing) either but still.

>imdb.com/title/tt4131800/?ref_=nv_sr_1
and why couldnt you just tell me that you gooddanm furry instead of string me along and making me go to some shitty site. I fucking hope this movie fails and the industry collapses with lauren faust getting assraped by nigs on the remains.

Iron Giant is a great example of this, didnt do well on release because of poor advertising, it only got saved by the great vhs/dvd sales

And it's just one of the lucky ones

Oh yeah
I understand
Me too want to fuck the Hogarth mom
Good autist now find me a sexy
Mrs.Hawkins

>and then the travesty of Titan AE
What's this mean?

>Ms. Hawkins
>not a decent Cpt. Amelia cosplay

>had
Mine never went away

too young

>Shit taste

Imagine being so autistic that you can't even refer to MLP by name.

That is, MLP, the show whose fandom has been dead for almost 5 years.

And it's not going to do jack shit for the "bringing back" 2D animation.

Test audiences were shown Don Bluth's Thumbelina both with the Warner Bros. logo it actually has at the start and a version with the Disney logo spliced in instead.

The exact same movie got a better reaction with the Disney logo on it.

..placebo effect?

That's a technical foul

Disney had a real nasty practise of re-releasing films whenever another film premiered.
Like, when Swan Princess was released they re-released Beauty and the Beast the same day. When Anatasia was released they re-released Lion King the same day.

They went out of their way to suffocate any competition and monopolise 2D animation

>Flash Animation
>Pony show
>saviour of 2d animation
No

Fucking Borg of the industry, unstoppable, destroys everything in their way and absorbs whath left
(like when they "merged" with Pixar).

I really miss the style of late 80's/ early 90's animation. It all just seems more detailed and you can feel the care and hard work that went into it. Everything today seems so manufactured and uninspiring.

I don't feel like there was anti-gun messages. Rather, the message was "You are who you want to be, and if you don't want to be a Giant Weapon of Mass Destruction, then don't be''

Because normies know northing of animation. To them Disney=the only people who make animated movies. It's the only safe thing to them. If you tell them there's an animated movie that was good they'd say "oh! A Disney movie?", and if you say no, they look at you like you are crazy. To them, anything that isn't Disney is some cheap generic knock off.

It was a decent movie but had terrible marketing (parents couldn't decide if it was for kids or adults) and also it was severely rushed.

The first few minutes of Earth getting destroyed was one of my favorite scenes in cinema history tho

that movie was insultingly well animated

The Prince of Egypt, The Road to El Dorado, How to Train Your Dragon, and Shrek 2 are better than most Disney movies.

Anastasia isn't that good, but it still has better music and direction.

Anastasia would've been better than most Disney princess movies if Don hadn't ruined it with the talking bat.

source?

hey, fuck you.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZwcVFMJvlN0

Sad thing was that their animation was really good. It was their storytelling that fell so far down.

Don Bluth, Universal, Amblin, they could easily match Disney at 2D animation. But none of them could ever write a worthwhile story that was even remotely interesting much less a threat to Renaissance era Disney greats.

I think Bird said the idea of the movie was "What if a gun had a soul?"

Swan Princess was an independent deal made by another former Disney employee I think. Did two straight to video sequels and nothing else for decades basically until they started making shitty CGI STV sequels to the Swan Princess.

Then again, Hotel Transylvania was decent... Even though it had Sandler in it.

I mean don't get me wrong user you're cute and I would totes malotes fuck that boipucci but stop attention whoring yourself

yup.