Nihilism and Post-Modernism in Hollywood

does he know what he's talking about, anons?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=e6I4zZNk76M&t=18s
youtube.com/watch?v=wLoG9zBvvLQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

youtube.com/watch?v=e6I4zZNk76M&t=18s

If you want to learn about post-modernism and the philosophy of Nietzsche then I suggest you watch Professor Jordan Peterson videos Youtube. Hes a pretty smart guy who knows what hes talking about.

>TLJ is nihilist

yeah a movie ending with a child gazing up in hope at the stars sure is nihilist

not even gonna bother to watch that tripe

Some chick with a choker told me she was a nihilist the other day. I think it's just a new trend coming up because atheism isn't cool anymore. Now people will point out everything nihilism related in popular medias to make a buck out of it.

actually most "atheist" are basically nihilistic people with a complete lack of interests for the mysteries of existence, they believe the real form and laws of the universe and existence are just according ours limited human perception and capacities, they shit at you saying nothing make sense instead of accepting maybe we are not supposed to understand the "sense" of the universe with ours limited capacities of material beings.

there is a whole arc about transcending into a life-giving immanent energy. How is it nihilist at all?

actually most "theist" are basically nihilistic people with a complete lack of interests for the mysteries of existence, they believe the real form and laws of the universe and existence are just according ours limited human perception and capacities, they shit at you saying nothing make sense instead of accepting maybe we are not supposed to understand the "sense" of the universe with ours limited capacities of material beings.

Makes sense where they're going with SW. It's the only fantasy movie that has really a sense of spirituality in it. Disney destroyed that. You got inanimate objects "calling" to you. You wake up with the Force, which is a female or a tree or whatever.

Fantastic post

>Hey guys! I know you have trouble thinking about abstract philosophical concepts, so watch these videos so some guy can predigest them for you and dribble them into your mouth like a baby bird!

he's a teacher you fucking retard

that's his job

no, the theists believe a skydaddy cares about them if you believe in him and tons of ancient sandnigger mythology.

both are retarded but atheists believe they are smart hiding behind science when they actually know shit about and believe humans are able to know or understand everything, when we are still inferior animals living on a planet, with a brain only able to understand our point of view on existence.

This ^

>DUDE WHO GIVES A FUCK WHAT A PHD AT A TOP UNIVERSITY THINKS
Kill yourself you fat fucking idiot.

Not really. He's not a professor of philosophy, and it's painfully obvious he doesn't really know what he's talking about when it come to that field.

the light and the dark will keep fighting no matter what. I thought before but I'm not tied to that interpretation.

>duh juice

How would you know? you're a sub-90 IQ retard who enjoyed the new Star Wars.

> mfw he hits his limits and says :
Now that's scary and evil and stuff.. I don't want to touch that.
top kek

>postmodernism
No one on the fucking internet knows what this means anymore, it's just a meaningless "le sjws!!" Boogeyman phrase.

>that's his job
And it's a students job to at least *attempt* to understand the source material and form their own opinions rather than parroting off their teachers viewpoints like a trained seal.
>>DUDE WHO GIVES A FUCK WHAT A PHD AT A TOP UNIVERSITY THINKS
Not what I said you skinny mouthbreather. No doubt he's a smart guy, but unless you're actually reading the source material he's quoting from, you're basically masturbating and pretending you're oh so clever.

Bout as useful as a knitted condom aren't you? Are you American by any chance?

His entire argument falls apart when he doesn't realize a deconstructive, nihilist interpretation of Star Wars has been done before and was well received by everyone.

>youtube
i'll pass

Literally has never said that. gtfo you newfag retard.

Fucking this

Same with fascism, nazi, etc, just meaningless buzzwords now people apply to shit they don't like

>he thinks there is any difference between atheist and agnostic in a practical sense

This "debate" was over years ago

>Rick and Morty popularizes nihilism
>Suddenly every movie and TV show decides to have it

>No one on the fucking internet knows what this means anymore, it's just a meaningless "le sjws!!" Boogeyman phrase.

That's the problem. Postmodernists don't know either since there's never been an agreed consensus on it. Willing to attempt to explain it in your own words for the class?

Shouldn't you be back on Sup Forums screeching yourself red in the face about that old anime character and how all moralistic characters should be wiped from existence?

Peterson’s book is really fucking good. Lectures are also great but tend to be repetitive. I recommend reading the book if you’re not a brainlet, it’s free.

Is this a fucking shortwave apu

I used to dream of time machines, now we're post everything. When will this garbage end and a new age of manliness and stoicism be ushered in? I'm tired of my generation already.

(2/2) I wouldnt mind the hate for ""postmodernism"" if it led to people trying to create more sincere art but if anything these stupid Peterson drones are sarcastic as fuck which is literally postmodern

Fuck off

You're fucking retarded if you thought the game was nihilist.

>I recommend reading the book if you’re not a brainlet, it’s free.
Which one? Maps of meaning or the one about cleaning your room? Where can I get it?

Ironically peterson misinterprets postmodernism. Also stop shilling this guy fucking everywhere

Postmodern art is created for the sake of making people ask questions (or asking questions with the art) instead of finding answers.

It's like the new season of twin peaks sans all the lore frost added in. It's Zach Hill's music. Cryptic for the sake of posing interesting ideas without care for giving answers.

Literally says it in almost every talk when the 'real' stuff comes up. Do you want me to source sauce and blow your dumbass the fuck out? After which, I'll explain why he says that and what it means about his surface level expositions of theology. Let me know when desu.

Maps of Meaning. Googling it should get you the PDF.

New one seems like a cashgrab. Not that I mind.

>mfw nihilists

>fat retard whining about muh americans
>DUDE READ THE SOURCE MATERIAL INSTEAD LMAO FUCK WHAT THE PHD SAYS
Holy fuck you're an idiot. And you think all he does is talk about books? fucking kill yourself you fat piece of dogshit. Not everyone is a sweaty NEET like you who has time to sit around and read hundreds of books.

Soon desu.
Bitch it might be

nuStarWars isn't anything. Read the art book of TFA. They had a plan, they had a script. JJ put a cannonball through it and patented the scraps as his vision. Its why the movies have plot points that are not brought back, or conclude without ever really coming up. The story averts your expectations, because theres a huge hole in it.

Ya dude, link me. Or "source sauce" or whatever the fuck you're trying to say. I can tell you're very intelligent and am eager to see what you come up with.

If a person is recording themself talking about politics or philosophy and posting it on Youtube they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about and should be ignored.
This holds true for most other topics as well.

> kotor 2
> well received by everyone
Sup Forums and nomutantsallowed aren't very reprensative of the Star Wars EU fandom

Nietzsche wasn't a nihilist you spastic

KotOR2 is one of the most highly regarded RPGs of all time, you fucking retard.

The very basic definition of philosophical postmodernism is that it's skeptical of meta narratives. Peterson's typical explanation of postmodernism is that it's just repackaged Marxism, which is hilariously wrong. Marxism is such an overwhelming narrative that the reactions against it are basically what created Marxism in the first place. Seriously, read anything by early postmodern philosophers, they all have a raging hate boner for Marxism; the two philosophies could not be further apart from each other, and the only way someone could argue they were the same thing is by deliberately misrepresenting them and adopting the typical internet stance that both words are catch-all terms for "something I don't like."

>This holds true for most other topics as well.
Cool. Thanks for admitting you know fuck all about what you're talking about. Opinion discarded. Not too bright eh?

I am Sup Forums and I agree with this. Really wish I had a sheckel for every time the mouthbreathers on my side used ‘postmodernism’ incorrectly.

>KOTOR 2
>Nihilist

APATHY IS DEATH YOU RETARD

>read anything by early postmodern philosophers, they all have a raging hate boner for Marxism;
>;
Brainlet detected.

fuck off nazi

Nah.

fuck off fascist pig

>yeah a movie ending with a child gazing up in hope at the stars sure is nihilist

But he explicitly states that the nu-movies make attempts at copying moments from the OT but don't really understand why the OT scenes were powerful in the first place.

Poorfags like you that get an "education" from Youtube are truly pathetic.

>it's painfully obvious he doesn't really know what he's talking about when it come to that field.

What are some examples?

Or what?

the movie is not strictly nihilist, but there are certainly some undertones. as someone already said, the film ends with the spark of the rebellion on the verge of being lit (the homeless boyes), but we can't ignore that the overall tone is very bleak. the whole luke storyline is a deconctruction on the religion of the jedi and the overall theme is that everyone is grey, not strictly light or dark

>expecting a jordan peterson video

>it's some crazy old hippie

Damn.

Yeah by Sup Forums and nowhere else

See:

>Nietzsche wasn't a nihilist you spastic

Yes he was you idiot

we don't gives a shit about the practical sense, atheist just repeat nothing make sense because they don't want to accept we are retarded primates with limited capacities and knowledge about the whole world and the worse of all: everything we could do have absolutely no consequences on the system of the existence, for them everything should be about a human point of view, everything has colors, everything has atoms, everything is in three states, when all of this is nothing but human perception of the thing, ignoring other informations behind it we aren't "compatible" with.

this is the real nihilism, it was never about existence and universe making no sense, it was about humans not made to be important on it and not made to get it anyway.

>APATHY IS DEATH
>muh nihilism

Typical self-important wannabe intellectual who praises a game he didn't understand.

Currently scanning his talks. Will provide youtube link w/ timestamped reference. Essentially, Peterson provides a very good summary/dump of what is. Anytime he crosses deeply into theology/metaphysics or what is to come he pulls back with a famed line "that's dark.. that's the jungle.. that's chaos.. that's evil". Essentially, he wants to pull people from trenches and I commend him for that but he cautions strongly against journeying into the wild/wilderness. He is a great primer and digest dumper but don't expect to become a journey man by digesting his talks. To do so, you need to digest a wealth of material w/ opposing and contradictory views related to Peterson and be able to construct your own 1 hour arguments for/against a particular view.

I'm parsing transcripts of his talks as we speak. I vividly recall him shying away and calling certain topics or paths of discussion "dark..i'm not going to touch that".

> Peterson's typical explanation of postmodernism is that it's just repackaged Marxism, which is hilariously wrong.

Wrong, Peterson never said this.

I don't give a shit about those philosophical abstractions. What I give a shit is the prevalence of irony and cynicism in modern AAA flicks. It's like they can't play it straight anymore. It's jarring.

You don't reflect at the right level.

>opinion discarded
Do you not know what this means? shut up you dumb fucking faggot, nobody cares what you think. You really wasted tens of thousands of dollars on a meme degree that won't get you a job? you know all that shit is on youtube right? ha. kill yourself.

I am not going to watch it, simply because americans cannot understand nihilism.

Nice sources bro. You btfo me.

when you have to have a sign because the brainlets can't enjoy 10 seconds of silence

*buuuuurp*
"That requires humanity" was savage, Morty. Great arguments and very well spoken. Sub-a-lubba-dub-duuuub!

>Memerson

*sigh*

Just shut up you drumpfbaby.

Sup Forums is no place for Sup Forums's bigotry and hate. Fuck off nazi pig.

>too stupid to understand JP
Sucks to be you I guess.

Takes time to parse transcripts. If you don't recall the line "that's dark.. I'm not going to go there.. I'm not touching that" it shows how little you're digesting from your brainlet viewing of his talks. Likely, he stirs your mind and you get a hard on and you fail miserably at integrating any of it in your life. A nice theological feel good and then you're right back to the rat race. Keep up the dumb responses. Once I find the clear reference and BTFO you, i'll make sure to cap all of your posts...

He makes a good point
Everything about the new trilogy rings hollow because it's been stripped of any sense of righteousness or spiritual impact. They brought back the space ship and soldier designs, the characters, the lightsabers, the Rebel/Empire conflict, but it's all in service of nothing beyond itself. The conflict has been taken down to it's most base level, with two vague absolutes of good/evil, neither of which have a clear goal beyond surviving because, presumably, the writers don't understand much beyond the fact that two sides in a war fight each other. There's no human connection to the movie, and even Kylo Ren, the only character to have really been given any sort of conflict, is a good example of the nihilism this guy talks about by centering his argument with Rey on the concept that there's no such thing as a light/dark side of the force

>“Postmodern neo-Marxism” is Peterson’s nemesis, and the best way to explain what postmodern neo-Marxism is, is to explain what it is not—that is, it is entirely distinct from the concept of “cultural Marxism.”
"Cultural Marxism” is a conspiracy theory holding that an international cabal of Marxist academics, realizing that traditional Marxism is unlikely to triumph any time soon, is out to destroy Western civilization by undermining its cultural values. “Postmodern neo-Marxism,” on the other hand, is a conspiracy theory holding that an international cabal of Marxist academics, realizing that traditional Marxism is unlikely to triumph any time soon, is out to destroy Western civilization by undermining its cultural values with “cultural” taken out of the name so it doesn’t sound quite so similar to the literal Nazi conspiracy theory of “cultural Bolshevism.”

>posting Sup Forums pic
>misunderstanding Nietzsche

spot the 12 year old

>only sophisticated intellectuals like me get Peterson

>Sup Forums is no place for Sup Forums's bigotry and hate.

Or u could read the postmodernists and nietzsche and make up your own mind

youtube.com/watch?v=wLoG9zBvvLQ
He makes that exact argument in the first minute of the that video. Twice.

I wish Jordan Peterson never introduced the word "post-modernism" to retards

the film was complete trash but

I thought that it was more of a deconstruction of the jedi's doxa (I don't really know how to call it), in the movie, representing the deconstruction of the jedi's myth in popular culture
I don't really see the nihilism in it, I just see an excuse for a dumbed down mythology (and it wasn't smart in the first place)

Yeah dude, he "literally says it in almost every talk", but you still can't find it. Back to r*ddit, you fucking clown.

i've been thinking about the nihilist argument and i think i get it. the force is a metaphor for morality, and the 'balance' the OT & prequels talk about is right and wrong.

clearly TLJ argues, mostly through luke, that there is no right or wrong and control over the force shouldn't be pursued by neither the jedi nor the sith. i believe the scene with yoda is meant, weather intentional or not, to represent the burning of moral knowledge, therefore.

i may be spouting an obvious conclusion, but i've never really given much though about the movies philosophically.

Thats exactly what teachers are supposed to do, you inbred mouth breather lunatic.

Thanks for the plug, bucko!

No, anyone with an IQ above 90 can "get" him. That excludes you btw.

I was young once too.

Literally one of the first pieces of media that ever comes out whatever someone does an list of Star Wars EU recommendations. Have you been living under a rock for the past 20 years?

So he's just conflating postmodernism with cultural marxism? Not very interesting.

Lol, yeah the PoMo's totes hated Marxism, which is why Marxists flocked to it like flies to a big pile of shit.

Post-Modernism is meaningless trash, lots of big words designed to sound smart but actually nothing.

Much the way Marxism claims to have the solution to all problems but doesn't.

They aren't polar opposites of each other, they are two sides of the same shit covered coin and can be safely dismissed.