Don't mind me, just the single most despicable being in the entire MCU coming through

Don't mind me, just the single most despicable being in the entire MCU coming through.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MsWlktW0kj4
youtu.be/a9gtnNgcMFU
youtube.com/watch?v=1rmo3fKeveo
youtube.com/watch?v=qx8hrhBZJ98
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>tfw "when i planted that tumor in her brain"

My theater gasped

He's LITERALLY the most cancerous villain in the MCU

In his defense; he did do the right thing killing her.

He loved her so much, if he went back to Earth he would have stayed and forgotten about his plan/ He really had no option but to kill her for the plan to work.

go to bed Ego

I'm honestly surprised this can be considered the worst.

Was it autism?

Fuck off Ego

>believes Looking Glass' "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)" may be the best song ever written
>not England Dan & John Ford Coley's "I'd Really Love to See You Tonight"

You know, the plan to conquer the universe I can almost forgive. He is a Celestial, after all, and that's sorta what these godlike beings do. You expect it, after awhile.

But his taste in music? Unforgivable.

No he didn't. He wanted to commit galaxy-wide genocide. The right thing to do would have been to bail on that plan and stay with her.

Considering we're getting the Black Order, I think Thanos intends to top whatever Mr. Living Planet had done up to that point.

Plus, y'know... the finger snap and all.

>just the single most despicable being in the entire MCU
of course, you are talking about kid quill right?
HOLD HER FUCKING HAND HEARTLESS ASSHOLE or at least don't look disgusted

Your theater is full of idiots.
Its only common sense that she got the tumor from fucking a space alien.

What a great villain. Something I thought was missing from even my favorite MCU movies.

Who didn't see that comin'? The only part of it that was even mildly mildly mildly unpredictable was that he gave her the cancer intentionally. Like, that was just to show he was a dickhead and deserved to be dead, in the terms of movie-making, I get that. But yeah, who didn't think "dad is an alien, mom got cancer.. those are going to revealed to be related!"

Was his desire genocide? Or was genocide just a side-effect of his ambitions?

>not England Dan & John Ford Coley's "I'd Really Love to See You Tonight"

lol

see, for everyone not getting the joke, is that both are awful 70s soft rock/yacht rock songs that are seen as equally corny from the critics and populace at large.

Side effect.

He wanted to make everything him. Unfortunately, that does mean everything not him has to die, but upside, everything made in the process to replace it will be him!

I feel this way as well. His motivation made sense and wasn't extremely generic, and he has a personal connection to the heroes which makes their struggle against him more compelling.

GotG continues to exceed my expectations for the other Marvel movies.

I guess anything is refreshing after they failed to utilize Ultron.

Same

I didn't think Ego was a celestial. Is that just he movies, or did I read the wrong comics?

Not comic knowledgable but it's very likely that the movies are different. MCU has taken a lot of liberties in differing from the comics.

dude lived for millions years can put off his gay plan for 50-60 tops to bone his space wife?

nah.

>mfw he said that

So does that mean the last time he saw her was around the time he got her pregnant? Or did he visit her one time after Quill was born? Because if it's the former, then that means she had to suffer for a hell of a long time.

What are you talking about, user? He was always a celestial body.

JACK BURTON?

He wasn't, but they've kept adding and changing his origin that being a Celestial isn't too out of place

True, but didn't we see a (fairly) comic accurate dead celestial in the first Guardians movie?
Was Ego just calling himself a celestial to hype himself up? Maybe he was genuinely mistaken, not realizing there were beings greater then himself?

this guy gets it

>all-powerful cosmic being suddenly becomes aware that there is life other than him in the universe
>is overcome by the desire to seek it out and emulate it

Is this the closest we're going to see to a big screen adaptation of the Beyonder, you think? Granted, their arcs are reversals of each other- the Beyonder came from a universe where he was everything and decided he wanted to be a man, while Ego experienced life as a man, then decided he wanted to live in a universe where he was everything, but still, the characters struck me as very similar, especially in their desire to understand sentient life.

In all fairness, if he had stayed with her he would of literally died. He has to go back to his planet to recharge. Staying on earth for too long would be a death sentence.

Although I do question why he couldn't just take her to his planet. It seems other life can survive on it just fine. He could stay near his energy source and still have his lover by his side.

same here - I think most people saw it coming, but it still stung to hear him say that

girl two rows behind me was apparently so taken aback she dropped an entire bag of whoppers

Even in terms of his own goals, his plan didn't make sense.

If your assimilating the universe because everything else is gonna fall apart eventually, it doesn't make sense to speed up the process. A being like him shouldn't have a lack of patience. Is it just because he took on the form of a lower lifeform that has the flaws of lower lifeforms?

>Maybe he was genuinely mistaken, not realizing there were beings greater then himself?

He seemed to understand that there were beings more powerful than himself in existence. When Peter assumes Ego is all-powerful, Ego makes an important distinction.

>Peter: So you're a God?
>Ego: Well... Little 'g', son.

It seems more likely to me that Celestials in the MCU simply aren't as powerful as they are in the comics. There seems to be a cosmic hierarchy, and while the Celestials might be pretty far up there, they're still a couple of rungs down from the "big 'G'" types. In fact, the way Ego's power functioned in the movie seemed to imply that Celestials are destined to be "big fish in small pond" types- they can rule their own backyard with ease, but being limited by having to stay near their power source ensures they won't ever be all-powerful.

We saw fucking Eson in the first movie, so comics accurate Celestials are definitely a thing in the MCU.

It could be that Ego is one, or was one, or wants to be one, or thinks he is one, or is some kinda little c celestial body instead of a Big C Celestial proper. Who knows. Any option can work, so I'm cool with it.

He could've made her immortal, but she probably would oppose his plan. And in order to make her happy and have her stay he would have to give up his goal.

He really had no choice.
youtube.com/watch?v=MsWlktW0kj4

What happened to the other Celestials?

If he was lonely and needed help from another Celestial for his plan to work. Why not find a second Celestial he didn't fuck into existence?

I don't think he was assimilating the universe because it was destined to fall apart eventually, it was more because he took a liking to sentient life, but saw it as a sort of imperfect "rough draft" that he needed to refine. Pointing out that the universe as it is will eventually break down was just his way of justifying total universal genocide to Peter's human sensibilities.

Was the laughter stopping because of how hamfisted that was?

Is there a clip or a pic of Sylvester Stallone's team? They looked and felt like seasoned veterans in the Ravager game, so it was pretty great.

Also, I want to hold hands with Battle Commander Ayesha.

My mom actually called this literally years ago, I realized.

It seemed like there were hints dropped throughout the movie that Ego isn't what he says he is and his goal wasn't we he said it was. He's likely a lesser celestial on a mad grab for power and has deluded himself into thinking it's all something greater. But there's still a question of what greater body he flaked off from in the first place.

>god like being
>lol I don't understand humans
>what's wrong with committing galactic genocide?
Why are god like beings in fiction always retarded? Eons of living and your only goal is to murder everyone in the galaxy and replace all things with yourself?

Then you act surprised when your son kills you?

The majority of them aren't like that, they just never show up in stories.

>Is there a clip or a pic of Sylvester Stallone's team? They looked and felt like seasoned veterans in the Ravager game, so it was pretty great.
Yeah, it was cool, because I think all of those guys were part of the original Guardians of the Galaxy team that Yondu was a member of, so it was kind of nice.

Call me Snake

God, I'm glad I don't have to deal with American movie theaters anymore.

Maybe the other Celestials didn't want to loan him their power so he could proceed to make everything alive in the universe him?

I don't think "Celestial" is a specific species in the MCU. It's probably a class of beings above a certain cosmic power threshold to where they seem like gods even to civilisations like Asgard, which itself could be seen as godlike to a race like humanity.

they are/were. Stallone is Starhawk

>Why not find a second Celestial he didn't fuck into existence?
Maybe I'm off base here, but I think there don't seem to be Celestials around much anymore in the MCU. Gamora refers to Knowhere as the head of an "Ancient celestial being", as if they're not something that's around anymore. Ego's first memories are floating around in space as a brain or something in space, and what I take away from that is he was kind of a fragment of a Celestial that was killed before, with much of his memory lost. The collector shows a video of a celestial, and it seems like something Peter has never seen or heard of before, when he sees it. I kind of think there was some kind of war, and the Celestials were killed.

I knew that, but who was the woman?

Aleta.

I imagine that was the part most people gasped at.
It was the only thing that we didn't know about that situation but it REALLY changes both Ego's character and (evidently) Peter's image of Ego.

It's the exact moment they go from a "Peter is brainwashed" moment to a "Peter fucking guns down Kurt Russell" movie.

I get the sense that Ego is the youngest celestial and the last, if the scene of the 'giants' trying to control an infinity stone and failing and dying is any indicator.

I wager Ego was made to bare the infinity stones, and the other celestials died.

Millions of years of Loneliness will drive a man insane. I actually pity Ego.

Has anyone considered that Ego may have just been a particularly stupid Celestial? Like the other guys just used their Celestial powers to build giant bodies around their cores and go off doing god shit and he's the only dumb motherfucker who just gathers stuff around himself into a ball?

she's too cute

His human body would have died but he would have been just fine. He is the planet, it just takes planet energy to send out an avatar.

Starhawk as a superhuman was created after the fusion of two brothers. Stallone plays the dude and the woman is Aleta, the girl.

The black guy is Charlie-27, the Iceman looking guy was Martinex, both original Guardians. The Red Lamia is Kruggar, in the comics he's the sorcerer supreme of the original guardians timeline and the robot head is, voiced by Sup Forums's favourite girl Miley Cyrus, Mainframe an A. I.

>Quill just fucking shoots the fuck out of him after that
That scene made me really happy. No sense of "but he's still my dad" or anything left over after that.

>That scene made me really happy. No sense of "but he's still my dad" or anything left over after that.
One of the things the film got right is that the Guardians are realists. They have morals but they don't see themselves as virtuous. If they need to kill someone they will. That was why Gamora and Peter agreed, way at the start, that if Ego ended up being even that they will just kill him. This is not something you will see discussed by Earth heroes.

The difference is that the Cosmic world really doesn't have laws. You have local laws within each government territory, but what ends up happening is that bounties were the only real way to enforce your will. If you need someone captured alive or killed, you just put up a sum of money and wait. The target could be a criminal, or could be innocent. But it doesn't really matter. There is no UN, there is no galactic council. You just have organisations with their separate laws and codes. The average person just tries to make money and not die.

>evil

Those are literally my two favorite songs of all time.

WATCH YOUR BACKS.

His plan was shit, who wants to just live with themselves for eternity?
youtu.be/a9gtnNgcMFU

My personal interpretation was that he were a brain of a dead Celestial. Maybe even of the one whose head was Knowhere.

In his mind every other form of life was so much worse than him that it'd be better for everybody if he took over. Like if you found dog shit on your floor would you not clean it up?

Seemed way too small for that; judging by Groot's size Ego's only about half the size of a VW Bug.

>MFW

He spent millions of years alone, I'm guessing that they had all already died out by the time he met other life and decided to plan his expansion.

I love how his nonchalant mannerism made him that much more disturbing in the second half of the movie.

underrated

I was thinking she got a tumor from Ego accidentally, from some space radiation or so.

But no. The bastard said it just flatout.

This

Why do people these days think giving up on your dreams for some girl is worthwhile ?

Ego did nothing wrong

>Peter: So you're a God?
>Ego: Well... Little 'g', son.

>MFW a mom and her kid walked out on that line and didn't come back
>MFW they probably watched both Thor movies without a problem

Loki was right

I liked him exactly because of how despicable he is.

It's like those Catholic families that get up and walk out when they realize the monster is a demon possessing somebody.

I loved how nonchalant he was after the reveal

>Aw come on, just furgettabout it

The comicbook Beyonders and Celestials are both stupid and the Marvel universe would be better off without them

You notice his name is EGO, right?

Why did he tell him that, though? Did he expect Peter not to react badly to it?

So does it mean we finally got a decent MCU villain?

>Why did he tell him that, though? Did he expect Peter not to react badly to it?
He actually thinks he is the victim, being forced to sacrifice his greatest love for the greater good of the universe. He was trying to garner sympathy.

I feel like I'm the only one who hated him. 50 minutes of buildup to him basically saying "BTW I'm evil".

Instead of getting a fun space adventure like the first movie all the characters were on that boring-ass empty planet all movie, with only the trash panda actually getting to do things, which was usually just to grouch and mope with nobody to play off of.

>"I loved your mother but I had to plant a tumor in her brain. You understand, don't you? It saddened me a lot, feel bad for me please."
Ego is a psycho.

>Instead of getting a fun space adventure like the first movie all the characters were on that boring-ass empty planet all movie,
I actually had the opposite feeling. My exact thoughts were "now THIS is a REAL adventure!", when the 3rd act began and things start to go crazy.

He was probably so caught up in the idea that "finally I have somebody who can help" that he let his mouth run away from him.

Yeah, shame he was in a subpar movie

Always a good sign when you go "finally things are starting to feel like an actual movie" when 25 minutes remain.

The first GotG was great all the way up until the last part, it's OK to end of a weak note if the rest is good.

Instant reaction. Quill really, really loves his mom.

>personal connection to the heroes
Outside of Quill and Yondu I can't really see it, explain?

I guess he meant mostly that, other characters' personal connection to him was only "through" Quill, because they cared about him, but also because Ego threatened to replace them as the closest he had to family.

thanks user

When I started to look at the soundtracks of both movies from perspective of the songs basically describing relationship of Ego and Meredith (discounting Father and Son from Zune, which should be treated as a song picked up by Yondu), songs gets completely new perspective.

Any bets on what Yondu picked for that Zune to appear in the next movie?

Don't worry user, I got the joke even if this guy didn't.

Centuarian throat singing

>Centuarian throat singing
youtube.com/watch?v=1rmo3fKeveo
youtube.com/watch?v=qx8hrhBZJ98
Clever, but it was supposed to have Earth tracks, likely still in the theme of 70s and 80s.

So far, he has the biggest body count in any capefilm measuring in the millions.