Good GotG comics? My uncle told me to avoid Bendis as far as guardians go, is he right?

Good GotG comics? My uncle told me to avoid Bendis as far as guardians go, is he right?

Just see the films again they're better than the comic

Annihilation if you don't want to read really old stuff

>My uncle told me to avoid Bendis as far as guardians go
You are to avoid Bendos in ANYTHING THAT INVOLVES HIM. ANYTHING.

The original series (yondu gotg) is pretty hard to read if you're new to comics. DO NOT start with guardians of the galaxy vol 1 and 2 by D&A, the story actually starts at annihilation

Annihilation & Conquest are a great story. And the writing style in the actual DnA Guardians run is really fun,.

Co-sign. Fucking Bendis is storyarch cancer.

Please don't read Bendis. Even if you want x-men x guardians x fanfour fan fiction

Following is the reading order I did way back when:

Infinity Guantlet (optional)
Annihilation
Annihilation: Conquest
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.1
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2.
War of Kings
Realm of Kings
Thanos Imperative

and yes, avoid Bendis comics.

all i remember was some comic about lesbians finding adam warlock.

gtg comics are very unmemorable.

Your uncle is a very wise man.

The only Bendis-related you should read is his early Ultimate Spider-Man and Early Alias.

It was around Avengers Disassembled where he was given free reign to do whatever he wanted.

>Annihilation
>Annihilation Conquest
>DnA Guardians
>Thanos Imperative

There's a lot of other cool Cosmic stuff going on before, slightly after, and around those issues, but you can go back to that if you just want to read the core Guardians stuff.

Never read Bendis, or anything post- Marvel NOW except maybe Skottie Young's Rocket.

His Daredevil run was great, and so was Torso, in spite of all the "bendisims". I dislike his recent work as much as the next guy, but let's give him credit where it's due.

>Korvac Saga
>Jim Starlin Captain Marvel
>Jim Starlin Warlock
>Jim Valentino Guardians
>Infinity Gauntlet/War/Crusade
>Warlock & the Infinity Watch
>Rocket Raccoon: Guardian of the Keystone Quadrant
>Death of Captain Marvel
>Annihilation Conquest
>Annihilation
>Abnett & Lanning Guardians
>Thanos Imperative

That's your Cosmic Marvel crash course right there.

>You are to avoid Bendis in ANYTHING THAT INVOLVES HIM. ANYTHING.

This is not true. Avoid anything Bendis post Secret Invasion (2009).

His Daredevil and Ultimate Spider-Man are superb. New Avengers was enjoyable at the time. Alias is good.

Everything past that has been really bad. I don't know if he's over worked, out of ideas, focusing his efforts elsewhere or just lazy now but his writing has been awful for almost a decade.

It's a good crash course for most GOTG related characters anyway. Quasar might be another good one to add though.

If you're adding in other books, I'd highly recommend Nova from that time

this has been passed around a lot.

>My uncle told me to avoid Bendis as far as guardians go
Well, my daddy taught me a few things: like how to not rip the skin by using someone else's mouth, instead of your own hand.

oh shit, I'm sorry

Seeing as you mention Quasar, there's that TPB that collects the origin stories of all the core Annihilation characters. Annihilation Classic it's called.

If OP's just looking for a primer on modern Guardians, that book's a great place to start.

Alias
Daredevil
USM
New Avengers
The Pulse
Dark Reign/The Seige

And that's just his mainstream Marvel titles.

I'll add Jim Valentino Guardians of the Galaxy and Guardians 3000 for original GotG, check it out.

Guardians of Infinity is another fairly good recent book. Combines past, present and future Guardians teams.

>read GotG
>it was mostly about space lesbians, nova, and adam warlock

I-is this what guardians of the galaxy is about?