So I just discovered Vaporwave (yeah, yeah, I'm late to the party...

So I just discovered Vaporwave (yeah, yeah, I'm late to the party, so sue me) and I was wondering if anyone had good recommendations on any show/movie that would be great to look at if muted and I just play vaporwave music in the background

Other urls found in this thread:

mubi.com/lists/c0aa4158-5a5f-4ea9-a8cb-bdb6d0f77cf5
youtube.com/watch?v=_Yp3_zOaz9w
vmashup.com/cuSZQyrC
youtube.com/watch?v=pNMTyG_qGzY
m.soundcloud.com/user-225797210
youtube.com/channel/UCsX48n8YissDwcpNwRAGGGw
youtu.be/jUGTdyFejVY
youtu.be/_i1Td2id91k
youtube.com/watch?v=wS-eWDX57Kg
youtube.com/user/NewRetroWave
youtube.com/watch?v=x--rvICd6Ac
youtube.com/channel/UCTQuSKpt5ZLQvC_DoBxuZQQ/videos
youtu.be/1v9Ysgql9so
youtube.com/watch?v=Z_D2orPvmPA
youtube.com/watch?v=bXtjLv1rhUY
youtube.com/watch?v=_hI0qMtdfng
youtube.com/watch?v=pTnjvk_ngbM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Drive is an obvious choice.

mubi.com/lists/c0aa4158-5a5f-4ea9-a8cb-bdb6d0f77cf5

youtube.com/watch?v=_Yp3_zOaz9w

That list is missing a lot of movies that had good mall scenes

Akira

So is vaporwave supposed to be like the abstract impressionist version of the neo-80's music trend? Or is it more like people expanding on boards of canada? Or is it just supposed to give a creepy vibe, like when you are in a silent hill game walking alone in an abandoned late 20th century american suburban location?

youre over thinking it. Its just pretentious nostaligia for 80s/early 90s aesthetics from kids who were born in 1997

Mannequin

>almost 2018
>I just discovered Vaporwave

fucking normie

Buy an obscure VHS Horror movie -- on actual VHS, you asshole -- then play it at a slower speed.

There you go.

fucking christ i remember this fucking intro from when i was like two years old. kino.

And compare that to our "contemporary" office building interiors. Fuck man, fuck anyone who criticizes me when I say the 80's were better in almost every way

Vaporwave was a meme created by Oneotrixpointnever a few years ago which inspired autists like Vektroid to unironically make music in the style of the meme, to which teenagers started unironically enjoying it

>created by Oneotrixpointnever
your a dorable

>IT’S THE CURRENT YEAR

Totsuzen no kissu ya

Blade Runner 2049

>almost 2018
>still saying "WAA CURRENT YEAR :))"

it was

Would the first TRON movie count as vaporwave?

vmashup.com/cuSZQyrC
try some some shit like this

Atomic Blonde

>aesthetic bathroom

>tfw perpetually late to the party

u silly m8

E N T E R T H E V O I D

>IT’S THE CURRENT YEAR

HyperNormalisation
youtube.com/watch?v=pNMTyG_qGzY

To Live and Die in LA

bumping for interest

The cool thing about fads like this is that, because of the internet, they never go away.

Most of Friedkin's filmography works with vaporwave on some level. Sorceror most notably.

m.soundcloud.com/user-225797210

Your welcome OP

Also this might help

youtube.com/channel/UCsX48n8YissDwcpNwRAGGGw

Surf Nazis Must Die (1987)
Top Gun (1986)
Robot Jox (1989)
The Ice Pirates (1984)
Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers (1988)

Why do you think only teenagers like it?
Is it your pseudo-intellectual way of tagging everybody who like something you dont like?
I'm 31 and I like it. My brother likes it too (25years old)

I've done this thread too many times to do it properly, so I'm just going to give you one film.

Trailer
youtu.be/jUGTdyFejVY

Full Movie
youtu.be/_i1Td2id91k

Split Second

It's basically just taking 80's/90's elevator/mall music and distorting/mixing it. The visual aesthetic that accompanies it basically borrows late 80's/early 90's aesthetics (like windows logos, clothes advertisements, mall decor etc) and does the same.

Twin Peaks is great to mute and play vaporwave over most of the time. Especially the intro on loop.

Scarface

youtube.com/watch?v=wS-eWDX57Kg

I raise you Sweating Bullets

Yep, you can pretty much just run the Miami Vice TV series in the background.
So many glass bricks, checkerboard tiles and pastels.

Awesome.

youtube.com/user/NewRetroWave

This is THE HUB for all things vaporwave/retrowave/horrorwave/terrorwave in YouTube.

Anti-capitalist themes and meta-ironic pop art memery.

That's Sythwave. Similar bet completely different.
Terminator
youtube.com/watch?v=x--rvICd6Ac

this is the youtube hub for vapor
youtube.com/channel/UCTQuSKpt5ZLQvC_DoBxuZQQ/videos

Still waiting on a movie with a vaporwave aesthetic that is presented completely seriously. Something that takes place in a world that looks like Doesn't need to be a sci-fi either. In fact I would rather it not be. Let it be a drama or even a romance. It's just such a comfy setting.

what the fuck is vaporware

youtu.be/1v9Ysgql9so

The nightman cometh

>Anti-capitalist themes
The fuck are you smoking?

youtube.com/watch?v=Z_D2orPvmPA
youtube.com/watch?v=bXtjLv1rhUY

it's fake music created by people who pirated fruityloops. the teenagers who were aware of it were so far up their asses that they thought it sounded good for a couple of years. they snapped out of it and now only slow literal retards are just getting to it

It’s just a variation of synthwave that uses premade audio to be as nostalgic and relaxing as possible. That shit really just makes you space out and just chill for a moment.

This

Also the original Blade Runner

It's a thing. You wouldn't get it.

I seriously want a big mac after watching this
youtube.com/watch?v=_hI0qMtdfng

It's actually more cyberpunk than most people pick up on. It had an early theme of being a reflection on the pre-millenial era, whether in the present or years into the future, as explored through the remnants of popular culture. I think a lot of that was lost in translation, but some people carried on this ethos.

Nothing. I'm sober. You're just retarded and you don't get it. Have some glitchwave

Does anybody else old enough objectively remember mcdonalds tasting better pre-2000? I swear the fries and burgers had a stronger taste to them

Quantum of Solace. It goes with EVERYTHING. Best fucking James Bond movie of all time.

>Get called out on your bullshit and asked to cough up proof
>NAW BRO I WAS JUST PRETENDING TO BE RETARDED

You were probably born in 1998.

He's kinda right. It's not really anti-capitalist. It's actually grossly capitalist and consumerist.

I love how everyone wants to declare vaporwave dead, and that they are so above it, it was only cool for fifteen minutes. Yet vaporwave is still going strong and still evolving and finding new fans every day.
You know you've hit something good when everyone can't contain themselves with declaring it dead, just like painting. They keep declaring that painting has died every decade and yet painting is the medium which persists.

youtube.com/watch?v=pTnjvk_ngbM

>>>/heem/

No, I was born in 1982, faggot

They're not making any money off of it, none of the samples are licensed.

That looks spectacular.

Pics with name brands and chopping pop hits without paying for a license to use the music. Any more shit you want to spew? Have some fashwave.

pokemon remix? confirmed manchild

They changed the fry oil.

>Pics with name brands and chopping pop hits without paying for a license to use the music.

If that shit was illegal then it would have been taken down from websites where I can legally buy music but lo and behold I see that stuff still on sites like bandcamp

mmmhmm

I was born in 1984 and my nostalgia for Vaporwave comes from it being one of the dominant art forms when I was a kid. A lot of hotels, restaurants, and malls had the aesthetic. Even some hospitals.

>still missing the point
Have some robertwave glitch art

I guess it could go either way (pro or anti advertising), but when you underscore the artificiality of an image that's being sold to you (which is the fucking foundation of all the branches of the vaporwave aesthetic), it seems pretty likely that you're being critical of it; you're saying, "this is not what real life is like." And if you're critical of advertising/obsession with achieving an ideal lifestyle, you are inherently also criticizing capitalism. I mean, just the names of the artists: Saint Pepsi, Luxury Elite, Macintosh Plus... it seems pretty clear what's going on there.

>I WON'T EXPLAIN SHIT AND PRETEND IT'S TOO PRETENTIOUS FOR YOU TO GLOSS OVER THE FACT I JUST PAINTED MYSELF INTO A CORNER WITH MY OWN STUPIDITY

>I STILL DONT GET IT SO I'M GOING TO YELL
Here, have some metashitpostwave

Just watch episodes of Miami Vice with the sound on and listen to music composed with Fairlight CMIs

>So I just discovered Vaporwave
>2 days away from 2018
You have to be like 14

>Getting ass-blasted because someone asked you to explain yourself

You can't go around saying DUR HUR DIS BE ANTI CAPITALIST and then get salty as fuck when asked why, you dumb nigger

I love the cyberpunk/Japan/existentialism crossovers

You have to go back

That doesn't mean the people making this are representing anti-capitalism, smart one.

>it seems pretty clear what's going on there
As clear as a Crystal Pepsi™ against a neon skyline.

t. drughead

Fucking hell you remind me of the retards in the mcbooger balls south park episode: it's just retro images and music done in a surreal and calming fashion, not some fucking communist manifesto

>it seems pretty likely that you're being critical of it
I can't agree with that. My observations have been most people who are into vaporwave see it as a celebration of the good sides of capitalism. It's an idealistic mindset.

However, there is also a bit of sadness mixed into it since we now know many of the promises of 80s and 90s culture didn't pan out. "Diet Pepsei: One Calorie" implies you could drink all you want guilt free. It implies stylishish, youth and energy. Now we know diet sodas come with many of their own caveats. But this is a digression.

For me, vaporwave is not overly critical of its subject matter. To go further, I don't think it is saying much of anything. The whole aesthetic has a sort of comforting emptiness. Like a cosmic lobby.

I did explain it. The themes of vapor are anti-capitalist and anti-advertisement, often nihilistic and always ironic. Repetative use of products, stealing music, a time when business was booming being idolized. It offers explanations, not solutions. I don't know how to help you.