Speaking of Robert Altman, which of his movies should I watch?

Speaking of Robert Altman, which of his movies should I watch?

Nearly all of them are great

Mash
The long goodbye
Nashville
Short cuts
The player
Mccabe and mrs miller

>nearly all of them are great
>only pick the same 6 memed ones
Most of his output is garbage

My favorites are Popeye and the fashion model movie

shut up faggot

Three Women? Or whatever it's called?

You love Popeye too? Or are you a Quintet guy?

breddy gud

Gosford Park is perfect. Long Goodbye is very good. I couldn't finish literally anything else of his that I started, and I tried watching a bunch of them.

t. criterionfaggot

>Gosford Park is perfect. Long Goodbye
La Regle du Jeau and Boudou Saved from Drowning for dummies

McCabe and Mrs Miller
Nashville

Those are the ones I liked the most. The Long Goodbye is p good if you liked Chinatown.

Why do people get so butthurt about Criterion?

Because it's a terrible label

Why? I watched their release of Valerie a týden divů and it was pretty good. Even had Jireš' short films as bonus features.

seems like a lot of people don't like robert altman
aside from furthering a few film techniques, it doesn't really seem like he did much. he was just another director taking from the nouvelle vague
desu though, i've only seen mash, the long goodbye, and california split from him. they were all decent, but nothing amazing. then again, i really liked mash, which seems to be a lot of people's least favorite from him.

Altman is one of those cases of inspiring a lot of filmmakers with his long takes and natural dialogue

I know pta kind of worships him

Altman didn't further any techniques. That's one of the biggest lies ever told.

closet plebs, criterion is fine

You can tell when someone's sense of history begins and ends (i.e. they mention anything regarding Criterion and what they've catalogued or their primary pool is 60s-70s "arthouse")

So Criterion's selection understandably does not contain every film in history and this bothers you?

They also associate camera movement with being "cinematic" even though Bergson already detailed why film is a medium that communicates a false sense of movement

secret honor

Criterion doesn't bother me, it's those that adopt criterion as a badge of honor that bothers me. They wear this self-appointed badge as a cheap and ultimately false designation. You ask a criterionpleb what accelerated montage is they stumble befuddled. You ask them what juxtapositional representation is they trip and ask for you to repeat the question. Criterion and tspdt are accessible gateways to visual entertainment, not stimulated thought, not secreted meaning.

Okay, I get that. It's kind of like people whose talking points are regurgitated from RLM, except for less mainstream films.

>60s-70s "arthouse"
conflagration of hippie-dippie moralism and sensibilites. demonstrates no understanding of truth, just insular thinking.

>except for less mainstream films
criterion is very mainstream, a mainstream interpretation of art

Criterion desires emotional guidance

I worded that wrong. I mean RLM focuses on blockbusters.

>i really liked mash, which seems to be a lot of people's least favorite from him.
what

Oh fuck, my father's always asking where "Blazing Saddles is the sixth funniest movie of all time" comes from. Now I can tell him.

where did you get the opinion mash is his worst, it's clearly his best

I'm a different person chiming in, sorry.