>Avatar
>Little-to-no connection in between episodes, hamfisted """"character growth"""" as the result of artificial plotlines
>Main trio goes to town, solves town's problem, solves their own problems as a result, rinse & repeat

>Korra
>Tight, interweaving plots that last for multiple seasons
>Character drive instead of foe-of-the-week, and the antagonists reflect the protag as if in a mirror darkly

Explain to me why people like Avatar here. Is it rose-tinted glasses?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S9cVlJOADb0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Avatar
>Little-to-no connection in between episodes, hamfisted """"character growth"""" as the result of artificial plotlines
>Main trio goes to town, solves town's problem, solves their own problems as a result, rinse & repeat

This is true for the first season of Avatar, but kids' shows are supposed to be episodic. The second half of the second season, in Ba Sing Se, were stronger because they had multiple character perspectives and an overarching plot.

Wtf I love Korra now

Real Sup Forums never liked it, it was the Sup Forums crossboarders.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Avatar's writers were varying degrees of hacks.
If you're looking for an example of actual quality writing in a similar show, see pic related.

>Samurai Jack
>Little-to-no connection in between episodes, zero """"character growth""""
>Main protagonist goes to town, solves town's problem, rinse & repeat
>somehow LESS ambitious than Avatar

>SJ S5
>Plots that last for the entire season
>Character driven instead of foe-of-the-week, and the antagonists reflect the protag as if in a mirror darkly
>character development, changes to the setting, plot finally moves forward

>Sup Forums loves the first and hates the second

Continuity is meaningless in the absence of well-written individual episodes, which nuSJ lacks.

I'd argue the first three are better than 90% of the original series.

The rest have been hit and miss.

wtf i hate ATLA now, thanks OP

Is this supposed to be bait?

The Ba Sing Se arc is deeply overrated, and in any case covers only a tiny fraction of the show's total runtime. Not to mention that you had "multiple character perspectives" throughout the series.

Why do i still come to this shithole?

90% is far too high, considering that seasons 3 and 4 in particular are practically perfect (each having exactly one subpar episode).

Yes. Even serialized shows should still retain an episodic format, because that's utilizing the medium. If it plays like a movie, you did it wrong.

Out of curiosity, which episodes would you consider to be the subpar ones?

I actually looked over season 1 and it looks like it falls under the same pattern, so here you go:
Season 1: Jack, the Woolies, and the Chritchellites
Season 3: Jack and the Swamp Wizard
Season 4: Jack and the Baby

>Teen Titans
>Actual quality writing

I mean, I'm not really a fan of either show, but come on. TT's writing was sub-par at best. Anyone who isn't blinded by nostalgia can see that.

>nostalgia
I watched it for the very first time this year.

>and the antagonists reflect the protag as if in a mirror darkly
Yeah, that never really went as well as a lot of people give it credit for. Only good one was Zaheer, but that was snuffed out in the finale.

There is nothing wrong with being more episodic, which seems to be pretty much your only problem. Korra has less likeable and less developed characters, worse romance, worse humor and worse lore, because it introduces the most literal black and white morality imaginable. Tight interweaving plot lol, they were obviously just making up stuff as they went alone and were feeding of the previous series. There were a couple of dark mirror antagonists in avatar (Zhao to Zuko,Zuko to Aang, Harma to Katara), just as there were just a couple in Korra.

The problem with LoK is that the all of the best development happens for background characters while characters that could actually use it (Asami, for example) just kind of exist.

A show being character driven doesn't really help if it's driven by the schmucks.

Honestly, the only character I can actually say developed in any meaningful way was Mako. He started out the aloof cool guy but actually grew into a likable character by the end, and out of the entire Krew, he's probably the most overall competent. I'll never understand why everybody hates him; he's probably the most based supporting character of the series.

The episodic style also allowed for much more exploration and different locations, instead of sitting around in republic city. Korras plot got constantly side-tracked by soap-opera family drama between Tophs and Aangs descendents and crappy side stories about the new airbenders nobody cares about.

Mako ended up based by the end despite the deterioration. Giving him lightning was stupid enough but him forgetting he has it except for season finales is even worse.

Hell, had they done it differently I would have been completely fine with Mako being the key to beating Unalaq. Lightning involves separating the positive and negative energies and I figured that would factor somewhat into spirit shenanigans as well.

His final moment in the series finale was done well because they gave enough time on it for it to have an impact.

>avatar
>was good

>korra
>was shit

>artificial plotlines
the fuck does this mean?

I think they're referring to episodic moral-based character plots. Toph learned to be more outgoing, Sokka learned to not be a chauvinist, etc.

Except, these details actually help when they're nodded to as the series goes. Zuko's development for me gets better even during the second half of S3 because we finally get to see him trying new things and being more comfortable around people.

>The problem with LoK is that the all of the best development happens for background characters while characters that could actually use it (Asami, for example) just kind of exist.

Pretty much this. The side characters are the most likeable while the mains always seem stagnant.

Personally I dislike Korra because they constantly toe the line of making an interesting set up or idea, then cop out with some cheap one episode fix and return to normal. Biggest one for me was season 1 finale where Korra loses her bending. I thought this would be an interesting set up for season 2, a dejected Korra slowly remastering the other elements and connecting with her avatar state whilst dealing with the guilt of her own failures and the people she feels she let down. Instead Aang bampfs in, fixes her shit with some weak reason and returns her to normal. The worst part is it does this multiple times. Season 1 finale, season 3/start of 4 the main offenders.

Every other character goes through some personal struggle that makes them more rounded and relatable except Korra because she keeps getting Avatar shenanigans or other people to fix her shit for her.

>the fuck does this mean?

>Avatar
>Obvious within the episode's first minute which character will be made to understand the value of relying on others by the trials & tribulations they face in the next 21 minutes

>Korra
>Characters are shaped by the complex circumstances and well-rounded characters they encounter, all with their own stories and motivations.
>How they change is not obvious from the start, but at the conclusion seems like it was inevitable

>well-rounded character
>Korra

>Korra
>Complex circumstances
Now I know you're pulling my leg.

Is it time already for you Sup Forumsntrarians to come shit up a thread with your opinions?

>Korra retcons the lore from the previous series
>Korra repeatedly makes stupid decisions over and over again
>Dumb user questions why people dislike Korra

Oh, hey, Mako has Roger Smith/TNBA Bruce Wayne eyebrows. That's kind of neat.

That's every thread.

>Korra retcons the lore from the previous series
Didn't happen

>Korra repeatedly makes stupid decisions over and over again
And the other characters and characters in ATLA didn't?

And I'm sick of it

Korra is a steaming pile of garbage, and there is nothing you can say to change my mind on that. If other people's opinions bother you that much, you shouldn't be on here.

>Didn't happen

Yes it did.

>Didn't happen
>TLA
>Ocean and Moon were the first spirits to cross over
>bending was originally learned from animals
>Avatar has lived a thousand lifetimes
>Korra
>Vaatu was the first spirit to cross over
>bending was a magic gift from lion turtles
>Avatar's only been around ten thousand years, meaning there are far fewer of them
>spirits are portrayed completely differently

>And the other characters and characters in ATLA didn't?
Korra is literally the second worst person in Avatar's history, and did as much or more damage than the first.

>Korra is a steaming pile of garbage, and there is nothing you can say to change my mind on that.
Korra is a good-to-great show, and there is nothing you can say to change my mind on that.

> If other people's opinions bother you that much, you shouldn't be on here.
I'm not bothered by other opinions, I'm bothered by the autistic fags who feel the need to hijack and spam every avatar thread(even ones just about ATLA) with their opinions and how "TLOK was complete garbage that raped my childhood and you need to think it's garbage too there are no redeeming qualities you can't have a different opinion from me"

No it didn't.

>Korra let the spirits free, after all the shit they did to humans during Wans time

Why?

You're doing the same thing though.
>Is it time already for you Sup Forumsntrarians to come shit up a thread with your opinions?

They're both garbage for different reasons.

>TLA
>Ocean and Moon were the first spirits to cross over
It was never said that they were the first, just that they crossed over near the beginning.

>bending was originally learned from animals
It still is.

>Avatar has lived a thousand lifetimes
Or Roku exaggerated to make a point

>Korra
>Vaatu was the first spirit to cross over
He broke the divide between the worlds

>bending was a magic gift from lion turtles
No, the power of the elements were. The animals taught bending

>Avatar's only been around ten thousand years, meaning there are far fewer of them
So? I never thought Roku was being completely literal.

>spirits are portrayed completely differently
Nope, we just see more of them

>Korra is literally the second worst person in Avatar's history,
How?

>and did as much or more damage than the first.
She didn't.

Id argue only episode 6 and 8 really were meh.

>You're doing the same thing though.
No I'm not.

>No it didn't.
You can acknowledge the retconning and still say you like Korra.

>How?

She let the spirits that literally terrorized the humans for no legitimate reason roam free again? Despite them stating they hated humans multiple time via Wans story. The humans that were only defending themselves from being turned into horrible abominations like the man who became half tree or who became half animal.

She has doomed humanity to suffer again.

>You can acknowledge the retconning and still say you like Korra.
It didn't retcon anything though. I've seen countless idiots on this board and other websites claim that there are retcons but none have brought up any actual retcons.

>She let the spirits that literally terrorized the humans for no legitimate reason roam free again?
Not all of them did and anyways they stopped and humans are much more capable now

>Despite them stating they hated humans multiple time via Wans story. The humans that were only defending themselves from being turned into horrible abominations like the man who became half tree or who became half animal.
Things changed in 10,000 years

>She has doomed humanity to suffer again.
Except as we see humans and spirits are getting along in Korra S4

>being the key to beating Unalaq.
The key to beating Unalaq was just beating him. He's a human and fleshy and Korra could have defeated him back in the prison scene but then the rest of the show wouldn't have played out as it did.

The reason I dislike Mako falls to how he isn't necessary to the story in the first place nor did he develop. He wasn't the aloof cool guy, we're told he's got it all together.

>Every other character goes through some personal struggle that makes them more rounded and relatable except Korra because she keeps getting Avatar shenanigans or other people to fix her shit for her.
They strung Korra's personal struggle out across all four seasons and rebooted it so that contributes to why it looks like she doesn't have a personal struggle as it seems to start back at the first stage each time.

The side characters don't have a personal struggle that takes up time and they get to be what Bryke passes for as fun or engaging so it can be easier to like them as the lesser of two evils.

Korra was a horrible character

I'd agree with that...

>No, the power of the elements were. The animals taught bending
So what the fuck were humans doing with the magic powers they got from the lion turtles before Wan did his thing?

The problem is that Aang is a fun and likable character, while Korra is a cringeworthy fuckup.

Throwing it around with no real form or technique.

Like how people who never learn martial arts or even some sort of basic fighting technique just throws punches and kicks around. Or how someone who doesn't know how to wield a sword will just haphazardly swing and jab and cut and stab. They lack any technique or form.

That's not true though, they might not have ad advanced techniques and forms but they have to have had a tradition for it since they used it for atleast hunting and survival in the wilds.

Wonder how many people ended up getting defaced thanks to Korra's shenanigans.

So people using magic to manipulate the elements isn't bending because they're not good at it? Okay then, new question: at what precise level of refinement do the actions of someone practicing not!bending become bending?

>That's not true though, they might not have ad advanced techniques and forms but they have to have had a tradition for it since they used it for atleast hunting and survival in the wilds
Tradition =/= techniques and forms.

The hunters and others did little more than toss fire around.

>So people using magic to manipulate the elements isn't bending because they're not good at it?
Not in Wan's era(besides him learning from the dragon). "Bending" doesn't exist at that point.

>Okay then, new question: at what precise level of refinement do the actions of someone practicing not!bending become bending
The moment they learn to properly wield the element from the sources mentioned in ATLA. That's when bending is invented.

Bending by the point of ATLA and TLOK is synonymous with any use of the elements, even before that person learns the techniques and forms and everything.

The hunters used it for hunting which requires technique to do properly.

Besides Bending is just the ability to manipulate the elements, Techniques and forms comes from traditions which is why there are different styles of bending (Northern, Southern and Swamp style waterbending for example).

Even in Wans time they had bending, The hunters used it, but also the Airbenders used bending to fly on their clouds.

You can say that Lion turtles gave the ability to bend, but that is a big difference to Atla.

Well, then you have shit taste, what else can I say.

You're not even gonna TRY to back up your shit opinion? Fail.

>It was never said that they were the first
It specifically did.

>It still is.
No it isn't. In Avatar it's hinted to have been gotten directly from animals and when the moon goes kaput waterbenders are helpless, that doesn't make sense when it's a gift.

>Or Roku exaggerated to make a point
Where is this ever hinted to be an exaggeration. Point to anything in TLA that hints at there being fewer Avatars.

>He broke the divide between the worlds
And crossed over.

>No, the power of the elements were.
Which humans used to bend. By watching animals, they learned to bend better.

>Nope, we just see more of them
That are completely unlike anything we see in TLA, which were feral extensions of nature opposed to knockoff Ghibli.

>How?
>frees and empowers the embodiment of evil
>frees the spirits to decimate humanity once again
>which directly leads to the dissolution of the largest nation on Earth
>loses a fight she had every reason to win that kills off her past lives
>gets the only democratic city state on the planet leveled

>She didn't.
Who chose to free Vaatu, let the spirits out, lost to Kuvira like the jobber she is, didn't obliterate the Lotus immediately, and repeatedly neglected her duty to master the elements?

real Sup Forums also used racial slurs because they could.

>Not all of them did
Because most of them weren't around humans. Spirits don't give two shits about them, half of them are feral and just being around negative emotions causes them to go berserk.

>humans are much more capable now
There are literally 2 people in the show with the ability fight off a spirit, and one of them is dead.

>Things changed in 10,000 years
That's a blink of the eye for a spirit.

>Except as we see humans and spirits are getting along in Korra S4
Like how the spirits pushed humans out of huge parts of the city and were ripping people's souls out.

epesodic format with plot underlines that gets resolved at the end of the season is always better then ALL PLOT ALL THE TIME

>Like how the spirits pushed humans out of huge parts of the city and were ripping people's souls out.

See, they're getting along perfectly and forming a harmonious relationship between the humanity and spiritkind.

Korra gets a lot of shit here but to be honest I liked it
season 2 and 4 had their rough patches but overall I still enjoyed them
it's a shame they got fucked by nick with the budget, marketing and distribution

Mostly how I feel. I'm glad Voltron is there to fill the void.

>Real Sup Forums never liked it

You mean Sup Forumsmblr, which is not real Sup Forums but tumblr invasions that made tumblr the majority users here.
The same way the /r/donald redditors took over Sup Forums and claim to be the real Sup Forums.

Well, how was it? What did you like about it?

>the antagonists reflect the protag as if in a mirror darkly

Like some kind of ... dark avatar?

And last airbender was the hamfisted one.

It's also a shame they fucked themselves over so Nick lost faith in them.

>artificial plot lines
Nigga what the fuck

>no, the power of the elements were. The animals taught bending
>this twisted logic to try and justify shit writing
I get hard every time I hear this excuse. Surely you know in your heart that you fucked up.

>tight
>interweaving
>character drive

holy fuck lol

>teen titans isn't some of the best super hero content available

>The hunters used it for hunting which requires technique to do properly.
Not "bending" technique. Maybe the hunters had some sort of very rudimentary things down but it wasn't "bending". They seemed to mostly use the power of fire to throw at spirits, not hunt. They were using traps for that.

>Besides Bending is just the ability to manipulate the elements,
That's what it came to mean over 10,000 years, but it really refers to the martial art itself, which didn't exist in Wan's time.

>Techniques and forms comes from traditions which is why there are different styles of bending (Northern, Southern and Swamp style waterbending for example).
And my point is that whatever traditions the hunters had are not "bending" traditions that we see in the future.

>Even in Wans time they had bending, The hunters used it,
They didn't. THe hunters were amazed once Wan learned to bend fire, he was using it in an entirely foreign way to them.

Just compare the hunters throwing fire around to Wan combating the dark spirits in the primitive air village. Bending vs "tossing element around"/

>but also the Airbenders used bending to fly on their clouds.
Maybe some sort of basic technique they'd developed but it wasn't necessarily "bending" since we don't see any air bison around and the cloud thing is the only thing we see them do

>You can say that Lion turtles gave the ability to bend, but that is a big difference to Atla.
The Lion Turtles gave the power of the element. The animals taught bending.

so did retards pay attention to anything in both shows and only going off there head canon

The difference is that the plot actually works in ATLA. It doesn't in LoK.

>How?
Not him, but Korra caused S02, S03 and S04 of her own show. This is only topped by Wan condeming the planet in the beginning.

>It specifically did.
It did not. Roku only says:

"The Ocean and the Moon are ancient spirits. They crossed over the Spirit World to the mortal world very near the beginning. There is only one spirit I know of who is old enough to remember."

>No it isn't.
But it is. The animals teach bending, the Lion Turtles give the power to manipulate the elements.

>In Avatar it's hinted to have been gotten directly from animals
That's your headcanon. We're only told that people learned bending from them(as in, the specific martial art. Like the Dancing Dragon for example is something the Dragons taught humans.)

> and when the moon goes kaput waterbenders are helpless, that doesn't make sense when it's a gift.
It does if we simply make the assumption that the Power of Water is spiritually/cosmically tied to the Moon and Ocean spirits.

>And crossed over.
"I lived ten thousand lifetimes before the first of your kind crawled out of the mud! It was I who broke through the divide that separated the plane of spirits from the material world!"

The implication there is that he created the spirit portals. But as we've seen Spirits can cross over into the spirit world without any sort of portal, so there's no issue here. Tui and La are simply like Hei Bei, Wan Shi Tong, Furry-foot, Bum-ju, and all the other spirits in both shows that can cross between the two worlds.

OR, Vaatu broke the divide near the beginning, and Tui & La were just one of the firsts to cross over after he did.

>Which humans used to bend. By watching animals, they learned to bend better.
"bending" in this context refers to the actual martial art, which the humans did not learn(besides Wan) for at least a while.

>That are completely unlike anything we see in TLA,
Nope. TLOK just introduced more Koh-esque spirits

> which were feral extensions of nature
What do you even mean here?

>Korra
>interweaving plots
9/10
you almost got me till this part

>frees and empowers the embodiment of evil
Unalaq did that.

>frees the spirits to decimate humanity once again
Except that the vast majority weren't like that and there's no "decimation of humanity" occuring in Korra's time.

>which directly leads to the dissolution of the largest nation on Earth
That was the Red Lotus, not spirits. DId you even watch the show?

>loses a fight she had every reason to win that kills off her past lives
She was doing pretty good in that fight until they got locked together in the ice arms battle where Vaatu partially left Unalaq and ripped Raava from her. It's not her fault that she was locked in that part and was helpless to break free.

>gets the only democratic city state on the planet leveled
That was Kuvira.

>Who chose to free Vaatu,
Unalaq did that.

>let the spirits out,
Which has done no harm

>lost to Kuvira like the jobber she is,
She won that second fight, the only reason she didn't deliver a knock-out blow is because Mako made the mech explode.

>didn't obliterate the Lotus immediately,
?

>and repeatedly neglected her duty to master the elements?
What?

>Because most of them weren't around humans.
No, because most of them are friendly.

> Spirits don't give two shits about them,
Untrue.

> half of them are feral
Source?

>and just being around negative emotions causes them to go berserk.
*When the Spirit of Darkness is influencing them, or a proxy of that spirit is

>There are literally 2 people in the show with the ability fight off a spirit, and one of them is dead.
You're ignoring that 10,000 years passed since Wan's time, and people have gone from throwing elements around randomly to having specific martial arts dedicated to each with combat and defensive and evasive moves in them.

People of Korra's time are far, far, far, far more capable of protecting themselves than the people of Wan's time.

>That's a blink of the eye for a spirit.
Source?

>Like how the spirits pushed humans out of huge parts of the city
Because they made their homes in the spirit vines Vaatu created, which as Korra showed were incapable of being properly removed even with the calming technique. And cutting or damaging the vines just makes the vines kidnap any living thing nearby.

Humans learned to live with it anyways and are on good terms with the spirits there now. The start of Book 4 Episode 1 specifically points out that in the 3 years since Book 3 humans and spirits have learned to get along.

>and were ripping people's souls out.
The vines were.

How is that wrong? She is the one that opened both portals and liberated Satan.

She could literally just NOT do it.

They bend the elements, you're just making an arbitrary distinction there.

Bending is just manipulating the element. More and different styles developed over time. Bending =/= martial arts however.

But you'd be wrong. The bender had control over the fire they were using, otherwise they would have a hard time using it for hunting. A more primitive style maybe, but it's still bending.

Wan was way better than them yes, and used a completely different style compared to what they were used to. And you can compare Wan before and after learning from dragons, he still had considerable skill with fire before any learning happened.

Basic techniques would still be bending even under your weird definition of it.

Lion turtles in LoK also granted a level of skill you didn't have to train for. Example Wan himself or the hunters. It's a huge divergence from Atla where bending is started like a lot of chinese martial arts, by looking at and drawing inspiration from nature.

>Unalaq did that
Unalaq opened the portals?

>Which has done no harm
Spirits are known for fucking shit up. In ATLA, the comics, and in LoK, we see spirits attacking people.

>this twisted logic to try and justify shit writing
There's no twisted logic or shit writing dude, it's exactly what we see in the show.

Lion Turtles gave people the Power of [Fire/Air/Water/Earth] to use while in the Spirit Wilds. But they didn't know how to truly wield it, so they'd only use it for basic things. The people from Wan's turtle used Fire to ward off any spirits attacking them. The people from the Air Turtle used Air to travel faster from place-to-place. But none of them were bending.

The first time we see Bending in "Beginnings" is when Wan is shown learning the Dancing Dragon from the white dragon. The hunter leader even says:

"And the way Wan moves fire, it's like nothing I've ever seen.He uses it like it's an extension of his body."

>They bend the elements, you're just making an arbitrary distinction there.
The show makes the distinction too. The huntsman is amazed by the way Wan uses Fire after Wan learns from a dragon. Bending is made distinct from what the humans were doing before.

>Bending is just manipulating the element.
That's what it came to mean later on, it is a general term for a much broader thing. Like how Kleenex refers to any facial tissues now.

>More and different styles developed over time.
The styles ARE Bending. Over time the term has been genericized, but that's what it meant..

>Bending =/= martial arts however.
It literally is though. Just with elements.

>But you'd be wrong.
Nope.

>The bender had control over the fire they were using, otherwise they would have a hard time using it for hunting. A more primitive style maybe, but it's still bending.
They had a very basic control, something that even Katara had over water, or Aang had over fire. It's not really "bending" in the sense of the martial art. It's basic manipulation.

>Wan was way better than them yes, and used a completely different style compared to what they were used to.
Because he used bending, while they just randomly threw fire around.

>And you can compare Wan before and after learning from dragons, he still had considerable skill with fire before any learning happened.
Not really "skill", just a lot of power behind it. Wan isn't "skilled" until he learns from the dragon.

>Basic techniques would still be bending even under your weird definition of it.
Nope.

>Lion turtles in LoK also granted a level of skill you didn't have to train for. Example Wan himself or the hunters.
They didn't. They simply gave you the power to manipulate it. The skill came from learning from sources.

>It's a huge divergence from Atla where bending is started like a lot of chinese martial arts, by looking at and drawing inspiration from nature.
There's no divergence.

>When the Spirit of Darkness is influencing them, or a proxy of that spirit is
Actually, spirits in general are influenced by emotions. Korra influenced spirits as well when she was in the spiritual world. It is unclear how that works; if being the avatar, or being in the spiritual world, has anything to do with that.

That said, even music was able to influence spirits. They are very.. random.

>Unalaq opened the portals?
Unalaq worked to free and empower Vaatu, part of that was manipulating Korra into opening the portals.

>Spirits are known for fucking shit up.
*some spirits are

>In ATLA, the comics, and in LoK, we see spirits attacking people.

In ATLA, only Hei Bei does and it's because his forest was decimated by the Fire Nation. He was angry. But Aang calmed him.

In the comics, it's still just specific spirits(or in the case of Smoke and Shadow, impersonators) and even they were combated.

In TLOK, it's primarily when Unalaq was doing fuckery with Vaatu's power. The Vines attacked people who attacked them(and in the case of Kuvira's attacks, any living thing nearby them in defense)

>most of them are friendly.
humans had to live in FUCKING TURTLES because spirits didn't want humans in their space.

When Kuvira attacked, they also just fuck off until shit is clean again for them to steal human space.

Are you FUCKING STUPID? Did you even watch the show?
In ATLA they never said the animals gave people the bending abilities, literally every time the bending animals/moon are mentioned they refer to them as "teachers" of the bending art.
The talent to bend the elements is given by the lion turtles, that's why not everyone has bending abilities, or else any non-bender like Sokka could just observe the moon pushing and pulling the ocean and would be able to manipulate water.
Firebending for example, after receiving the firebending gift, Wan is seen learning to master the bending technique from a dragon. Zuko and Aang learn the Dragon Dance from dragons, a routine of bending forms.
Every bending kind is based on a real life form of martial arts:
Firebending: Northern Shaolin
Waterbending: Tai Chi
Earthbending: Hung Gar
Airbending: Ba Gua Zhang

youtube.com/watch?v=S9cVlJOADb0
This is what the animals taught.

>The animals teach bending
Katara was bending before having gotten a single lesson.

>That's your headcanon
That is what's stated in the show.

>as in, the specific martial art.
No, as in manipulating it period.

>It does if we simply make the assumption that the Power of Water is spiritually/cosmically tied to the Moon and Ocean spirits.
Which makes zero sense if they didn't draw from it in the first place.

>The implication there is that he
Broke the divide and let spirits in in the first place, and came over himself.

>all the other spirits in both shows that can cross between the two worlds.
After Vaatu broke the divide.

>Vaatu broke the divide but didn't bother going immediately
Bullshit.

>"bending" in this context refers to the actual martial art
No, it's manipulating the element. Korra was doing it without being exposed to three quarters of the arts in an igloo.

>TLOK just introduced more Koh-esque spirits
Koh is a morally apathetic centipede hybrid. He's a dark motherfucker who doesn't particularly care for humans one way or another, compared to the Ghibli knockoffs in Korra.

>What do you even mean here?
TLA spirits resembled real animals or parts of nature, and almost all were animal like. That is completely at odds with Korra's depiction.

>Actually, spirits in general are influenced by emotions. Korra influenced spirits as well when she was in the spiritual world. It is unclear how that works; if being the avatar, or being in the spiritual world, has anything to do with that.
It was mainly because she was the Avatar from what Iroh was implying. For regular humans it'd likely be something in a similar light but less severe. Iroh says your emotions become your reality, so people who are scared see demons.

>humans had to live in FUCKING TURTLES because spirits didn't want humans in their space.
*because some spirits didn't.

>When Kuvira attacked, they also just fuck off until shit is clean again
*they left because they didn't want to get involved in human affairs or risk annihilation by Kuvira's bastardization of the vines.

>for them to steal human space.
You mean their territory. The Spirit wilds in Republic City are their territory now, it's where they live. Humans are fine with that now.

>Katara was bending before having gotten a single lesson.

>part of that was manipulating Korra into opening the portals
If we're talking about the FIRST portal i do agree there wasn't much of Korra's fault.

But the second portal she was just retarded. She could literally just stay in her igloo until Harmonic convergence was over with, but she decided to go to the spiritual world for no particular reason. They could just go there after.

>*some spirits are
so why live with them, knowing that "some" of them can fuck an entire village?

>He was angry
Not an excuse to attack random people. Also, you're forgetting the facestealer. The only spirit that was justified in attacking humans was the fish spirit, and he avoided harming people that didn't do anything to him.

>In the comics, it's still just specific spirits
There were plenty of non-specific spirits attacking people, mostly the ones controlled by mother of faces, and her dog that literally attacked for NO reason. Also, in the case of smoke and shadows, we know the kemurikage was real, and that she was a douchebag that kidnapped children.

>In TLOK, it's primarily when Unalaq was doing fuckery
Yeah, let's forget the Wan episodes. Let's forget the spider spirit, the mist spirit, and the vines kidnapping people in the last season because someone was poking it on the other side of the planet (you don't kidnap people in self-defense).

>Unalaq did that.
Korra was the one who opened the portals, failed to stop Unalaq from merging then failed to kill him in the state.

>Except that the vast majority weren't like that
Almost all of them were like that. Wan spent years living with them and decided it was better to stem the tide. Vaatu wanted them mixed into the material world to cause chaos and Raava admits spirits don't belong in the mortal realm.

>That was the Red Lotus, not spirits.
Who got out because the spirits gifted Zaheer air bending and Korra failed to stop them in time.

>She was doing pretty good in that fight
She was being overpowered by a man with zero past lives that had just become an Avatar five minutes ago and was limited to her native element, she should have stomped the shit out of him.

>until they got locked together in the ice arms battle where Vaatu partially left Unalaq
That is never hinted at. Far as we know it's a spirit technique Korra never bothered to pick up, and if Unalaq could do it so could she.

>It's not her fault that she was locked in that part and was helpless to break free.
She was the one who hadn't stomped him already, engaged in the struggle, and lost that struggle with her native element and past lives. It is entirely her fault.

>That was Kuvira.
Whom Korra had a literal perfect opportunity to crush beforehand.

>Which has done no harm
>dissolved the largest nation on earth
>leveled the capital city of the planet
>unleashed monsters onto the land
Did you watch Korra, by any chance?

>She won that second fight
No she didn't, it was a draw.

>the only reason she didn't deliver a knock-out blow
That is never once hinted at. She and Kuvira were going even.

>?
>wakes up
>bad guys
>immediately paralyzes the lot of them with bloodbending
What's her excuse?

>What?
She didn't master a single element, unleashed the embodiment of evil and consulted her past lives all of twice. She was an abject failure.