Why is capeshit (the worst genre of comics) the most popular genre?

Why is capeshit (the worst genre of comics) the most popular genre?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=me-wMZeKck4
youtube.com/watch?v=aQ2KzcSD1pE
youtu.be/5bQqESOO_J8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because the comics code of the 1950s, combined with some shitty business practices, killed most of the other genres or drove them so far underground they were no longer fiscally viable. Learn your history.

because you would rather assume everyone else has bad taste than consider you are the one who is wrong

i genuinely appreciate the explanation even though you were a dick about it

Because during the 1950s a strict censorship code ended-up wiping-out all the other genera

When eventually in the 1970s the censorship code was abandoned, comic publishers (especially DC) did indeed attempt to bring back the other generas like Western, Horror, and Military, only to be rejected by the general public, who at that point grew-up only with superheroes, and thought that anything else was gay and retarded (kinda like Sup Forums)
alto this failed attempt to bring back variety into US comics did at least give us the likes of Jonah Hex and Swamp Thing

>Escapism
>Modern American mythology
>World-building

and the most importantly

>Shipping wars
>Who would wins

Because you feel that you must hate all popular things in your desire to stand out from others and be special or significant in some way, your view of things makes everything appear as such.

This, everyone should watch the three part documentary discovery put out about the history of comics. It perfectly shows how the comic code authority permenantly fucked comics by halving the number of titles and genres available and also goes into how marvel and dc almost killed comics with the idea of buying multiple issues of a title to sell them later. It also covers some cool stuff like how robin was created due to captain marvel (Shazam) outselling both superman and batman for a year with the belief at dc being it was because of children liked the idea of a kid superhero.

For those interested it's called Superheroes: A never-ending battle.

I like capeshit.

Though there haven't been any good capeshit movies in recent years.

>hollywood will never make a current RHATO or Deathstroke adaptation

but capes are only popular in the US

It appeals to our desire for power fantasies. Vigilante justice, hot chicks, big bulging muscles, improbable technology, clear-cut moral issues and conflicts that can be resolved by punching.

Seriously, this is not top-level psychology.

learn to construct a cohesive sentence before you come at me fag

youtube.com/watch?v=me-wMZeKck4

says who?

nope.
I know first hand frogs love american comics.
and there's a very active westaboo fanbase in east-asia which is into capes.

though mostly because of the yaoi

because is fun?

Not popular enough to be the only comic genera to sell in those countries

why is young adult fiction the most popular type of literature

cause they read the most

Capeshitter insecurity arrived earlier than I was expecting.

that is not a genera, that is a demographic

Books are better for the other genres.

Saw that one, it's pretty good.

Any other good documentaries about comics?

Because the superhero genre and comics have become completely intwined in the public eye. It's like they were made for each other

>>Modern American mythology

Go to bed Morrison, you still don't know what mythology is.

they're cool and do cool shit also people.like the characters and worlds

its not like someone is out there only reading marvel and dc

It's pretty clearly some form of mythology. The only difference between comic mythology and ancient mythology is that people actually realised old myths served a societal purpose.

What exactly do you think mythology is?

Superhero comics have about as much in common with myths as Coronation Street does.

A culture's mythology is not simply its stories. A mythology is a worldview. Myths are not just fun stories, they are how people explained the world around them, how they interpreted their place in it, and how they attempted to come to terms with the imperfect nature of things. Things like the Iliad (which, remember, was a play based on pseudo-history, not a religious text) and the stories in the Gylfaginning are just fragments of these cultures' worldviews that we have used to construct a tenuous picture of how they understood the world, its creation, and the mechanisms by which it works. Things like the Odyssey and the Iliad, the stuff people generally bring up when trying to link comics and mythology, are not 'mythological' texts in that they describe religious practices, they are just stories that help us understand Greek mythology, because they help us understand how Greeks thought the world worked, and this is what mythology is.

Because of WWII, and the Great Depression

Because cape fans are the pnly ones who actually care about comics.

Why is FPS the most popular game genre? Why is romance the most popular novel genre? Why is un boxing the most popular YouTube genre?

So it's better much another case of censorship ruining everything

Comics code was self imposed, and Martin Goodman's greed had nothing to do with censorship.

>Western, Horror, and Military, only to be rejected by the general public, who at that point grew-up only with superheroes, and thought that anything else was gay and retarded

The genral public rejected cape comics too. Cape fans are the only ones who didn't reject comics altogether.
The newspaper strips declined in variety of content and popularity at the same time.
Television filled all the other genre niches and people stopped reading ANYTHING.
But sure, go ahead and blame the only people who actually continued to pay for comics- it is exactly what Marvel does.

ITT indie fags act like they're kids books are better.

Keep being faggots, faggots. Capeshit sells because its good. The comics code shit doesn't matter anymore. You're like black people bitching about slavery ruining their lives today. Telling people to learn their history. Grow up.

We know it. Slice of life is nice in spurts. If you aren't a cape comic you're pretty much always slice of life. Action based comics sell because any writer worth their salt is still writing a fucking book. You don't need pictures to write a fucking story. You need pictures to display action and movement.

*tips Thor helmet*

I'll take "misuse of a meme" for 1000, Alex.

>being this new

>Look mom, I called someone "new"

Why don't you tell me why you think I'm wrong faggot?

>Action based comics sell because any writer worth their salt is still writing a fucking book.

The action in cape comics is abysmal though. 99% of these things is people talking, or people talking over a two page spread of one punch.

>Genre comics
>not bad

Didn't mean to tag

>We know it. Slice of life is nice in spurts. If you aren't a cape comic you're pretty much always slice of life.

There is an entire world of comics from around the globe that are neither slice or life or superheroes.

You are shockingly stupid.

I completely disagree with that assessment. That's extremely title-dependent and artist-dependent. For every example of "good" action I post you could post an example of "bad" action.

But in general that doesn't negate my point that genre stories are told in prose because writers like to use words. You may disagree with that point but it would come down to you posting examples of "good" writers in non-cape comics and me telling you it's unnecessary to have made it a comic.

"Good" writers choose comics because they love the form or think they'll change the genre by making a "real" story. But nobody wants to read that shit at a commercially viable level because there's no reason for a picture of two people at a table looking solemn if the writer can describe that in prose.

>You're so dumb
Great point.

Provide the plot of just ONE of those comics.

I'll then explain why it's slice of life.

Because they are the strongest in the jungle called the market

Dan Clowes is your Jack Kirby. That's like replacing Cary Grant with Hobo and trying to shoot North by Northwest.
Everything Indy comics do literature does better- and has been doing better for hundreds of years.
Bukowski is a far more entertaining Joe Matt, than Joe Matt could ever hope to be.
Chandler, Hammet, Thompson, Woolrich, Elroy and tons of other crime writers kick the living shit out of weak tea like Brubaker.
Fuck, Even if all you want to play your pissy little games and build your bullshit hiearchy, lit is the place to go.
Nobody is impressed that you read Chris Ware user, read Gravity's Rainbow or get through the cetecean chapters of Moby Dick and tell me if you are a loose fish or a fast fish, and then we'll have some fucking coffee. I won't be impressed, but I wont assume your the insecure human garbage you so clearly are right now.
If I'm not too busy reading Kirby comics.

Lilith.

>Provide the plot of just ONE of those comics.
>title of a comic... I assume

Still waiting...

>movie versions

This is what I've been trying to say.

>the most popular genre?

Pretty sure that "Turma da Mônica" in my country sells ten times more than capeshit on USA.

Hell, plenty of Disney and other genres outsell easily american comics in Europe.

>>Modern American mythology

This will never stop being the most patethic and stupid bulshit that capefags created. You are no more mythological than Ronald Mcdonalds.

Because the rest of genres can be portrayed more easily into other kind of media.

You finished typing that and didn't realize why you're on the wrong side of the argument?

Scathing.

Oh, I assumed you weren't a pleb, but whatever.

It's a comic about a woman who is genetically modified to be sent back in time. In the future, mankind has been wiped out by an aggressive symbiotic infection, which gestated in specific people throughout history. The titular character is sent back to ancient Greece to kill the first recorded host before they germinate, and with each kill they jump forward in time to another era, continuing their hunt for these hosts. They are accompanied by a bizarre feline automaton that helps orient them in different time periods.

Eventually there's a big tweest, of course, but that's not the basic plot.

>Look mom, I misused the meme again

Do you literally believe in Superman, that the things he did were real, or that TOAA created the universe?

If not, then your superheroes aren't mythology.

Superheroes stories are not things created to explain the natural world and determine our place in it.

>look mom, I'm an expert in Memeology! No, it's not a real job, why do you ask?

Have you considered that 'lit' hasn't done superheros, generally, not because they're better as comics, but because they're puerile and masturbatory?

>You don't know my favorite comic
>Pleb

How isn't this the description of a cape comic? It's literally an X-Men script under a different title.

He's not wrong though.

It's not really my favourite comic, it's just a random one. I assumed you read comics from all over and would know some popular ones, but, eh, whatever.

>How isn't this the description of a cape comic?

...Do you think anything with action in it is superheroes?

Lilith isn't a cape comic for the same reason Wake isn't a cape comic. It's not about superheroes. There is a distinction between fantasy/sci-fi and capes.

I don't even dislike cape comics as a concept, but I know that much.

>is that people actually realised old myths served a societal purpose

I said nothing about the quality of cape comics, user.
Indy comics are deeply inferior to their prose counterparts in every conceivable way. That's why you have to shit on capes, because people who read real books laugh at you. Cape fans laugh at you too.
I'm laughing at you.
We all are.

Explaining the natural world is only one facet of myths. Ancient culture used myths to do this. Modern culture uses myths for stories and entertainment. Stop being an artist about it.

Jesus, it's you pretentious faggots actually WANT to come off as pretentious faggots.

Who writes shit like this
>I assumed you read comics from all over and would know some popular ones, but, eh, whatever.

If it's so popular why can I not find the shit on google?

Also you basically just said,
>it's not a cape comic because she doesn't wear a cape.

If that was published by the big two you'd be calling it cape comic.

Different user,
You'll find that many fans on either side of the argument do not make this distinction.
I don't give a fuck, I'll read anything.

So basically, you're arguing that cape comics are a form of mythology, because they don't serve the same purpose as mythology, which defines mythology as a concept?

Words change meaning over time, senpai. Myths, legends, folklore are now all used to describe obviously fictional things. But we use them today to entertain ourselves rather than try to understand the mechanisms of the world.

Deal with it.

Entertainment is a tradtional use of myth user.

>If it's so popular why can I not find the shit on google?

Probably because you're lying, it's pretty easy to find via google. Or you can't read, I dunno?

>Also you basically just said,
>it's not a cape comic because she doesn't wear a cape.

No, you silly billy. It's not a cape comic because it doesn't adhere to the conventions of cape comics. The lead character is not a superhero or supervillain who goes out to fight/do crime in a flashy outfit. The lead character is not mostly defined by their powerset and outfit. The lead character is not part of a larger universe or continuity filled with other superheroes/villains. The lead character has a singular goal that the narrative revolves around, rather than being a reactive figure in a world full of varying, steadily escalating threats.

You may as well say Dune or The Dark Tower is about superheroes.

>But we use them today to entertain ourselves rather than try to understand the mechanisms of the world.

People used them to entertain even in antiquity.

But the fact remains, these things were created to explain the world around people. People made fantastic stories about these concepts, but that's what they sprung from.

The word hasn't changed, you're just using it wrong because you think it makes your chosen pastime sound deep and important.

It is. But it's not the nature of myth.

Superheroes were created to entertain, not explain. Superman wasn't Jerry Siegel's theory about who creates the tides or who holds up the world, who was eventually featured in other stories. Superman was just a story designed to entertain.

And there's nothing wrong with that at all.

Rise and Fall of the comics Empire, 13 part youtube documentary.

youtube.com/watch?v=aQ2KzcSD1pE

Describes marvel's post-Goodman business history and goes in depth about the Iron Age and the 96 crash, ending with Perlmutter buying Marvel after 10 years of doing business with them.

Also goes into editor practices from Shooter to Harass to Quesadilla, and in fact talks about Perlmutter after Marvel and Quesadilla's Valiant years.

It's pretty great

I'm googling Lilith and getting Marvel and DC characters faggot.

>The lead character is not a superhero or supervillain who goes out to fight/do crime in a flashy outfit. The lead character is not mostly defined by their powerset and outfit.

Literally saying, again, "cape comics have capes."

A person with abnormal powers is fighting an evil force. That's a cape comic, user.

>Superheroes were created to entertain, not explain. Superman wasn't Jerry Siegel's theory about who creates the tides or who holds up the world, who was eventually featured in other stories. Superman was just a story designed to entertain.

Jesus, this is incredible off base. Pitcher's going to pick you off. Google "superman ubermensch".

>But we use them today to entertain ourselves rather than try to understand the mechanisms of the world.

...Because we don't believe in those things anymore.

That's not the word changing, that's our perspective on the subject matter changing. The word 'mythology' still means the same thing, we just don't believe in the same worldview as the ancient Egyptians or the ancient Greeks.

That doesn't mean that any fiction we create today is automatically mythology. If nobody ever believed in it, it's not a myth.

Myth's are not created to explain things user. They are rarely descrete phenomena, but more often the product of compression. That is to say several stories being jammed together at once. Genisis, for example is full of this.
Certainly, they may be repurposed to explain thing, or they may originate as narratives. But they change in the telling.
But it is pretty clear to me that the story of Joseph and his trip to Egypt was meant to entertain not explain, for example.

You have no idea as to the motives of pre-literate people. None. Zero. Not a one.
T. Archaeologist.

But the guy user was replying to does?

>It's a "Indiecucks try to insult capefans to distract from the fact their favorite comics are pretentious liberal bullshit" episode

Oh boy my favorite! Please enlighten me how Saga is better than Batman. Women suffer the most in war after all!

Yes, we all know the first rendition of Superman was partially modeled off Nietzsche's ubermensch, though that's an odd thing to bring up, as that original concept has almost nothing to do with the modern character. He was a villain, for one.

This also has nothing to do with mythology.

Fun Facts:

DC coined the first wave of genre diversity on the same days Crumb and his gang started. That was the first wave and it sort of crumbled, few things survived.

The second wave was Epic imprint, a marvel attempt at ringing the franco belgian -ish format to the american market. Accompanying them where the first new indie companies, First Comics (which made American Flagg, one of the most underrated comics of the 80s) and Fantagraphics (which did jack shit until the 90s Eros imprint). This wave had 10/10 art desu

The third wave was divided a sort of imitation of 70s underground comics from alternative indie zines, and the big artists from marvel and DC making their own comic studios. This one led to many new big names.

The rise of webocmics, Image and Fantagraphics now seems to be pointing out that we are in a fourth wave of genre diversity. but that remains to be seen,

Yes I do.

t. a more experienced archeologist.

youtu.be/5bQqESOO_J8

It's a false ideal presented in media. It's a myth you faggot fuck. Enough of your "no, errrrr, doesn't compute with my definition."

You don't understand what mythology is if you dispute that.

Sandman and Watchmen are taught in university english classes.

>It's a false ideal presented in media.

Wow, so literally all fiction ever is mythology.

Interesting.

>t.Binford.

Besides the fact that that isn't what I said, we've taken ancient forms of entertainment and decided to call them myths based on what we thought their intention and awareness was. What would keep generations of the future from doing the same?

did you reply to the wrong post?

>But it is pretty clear to me that the story of Joseph and his trip to Egypt was meant to entertain not explain, for example.

There is a crucial difference here between this and a superhero story, however.

The story of Joseph in Egypt serves as a segment in the Biblical narrative of how history arrived at modernity (in the time of writing). It's something that people believed happened, that was meant to tell you how A got to B in reality.

It attempts to describe a historical reality, whereas, say, X-Men makes no such attempt.

X-men is a way of commenting and describing the societal issues of gay and minority rights.

In 1000 years, if fags become normalized, they'll see that as a mythological concept.

>What would keep generations of the future from doing the same?

We shouldn't, but that doesn't mean you can just call anything a myth.

We refer to the Iliad as mythology, despite it not at all being a religious text, because it provides insight into what was believed to be reality by the ancient Greeks. The Iliad tells us about the gods that the Greeks believed maintained and ordered the cosmos. It tells us about the people they believe existed, how they explain their deeds, and what they believed happened.

The Iliad is a myth in the sense that it is a story about what was believed to be real. Superhero stories are not like this. They are pure fiction, and everyone reading them knows they are fiction. They are not stories about the gods we actually believe exist and uphold the universe, or about historical figures that we attribute supernatural powers to and believe existed.

>Capefags still pretending that capeshit sells and is somehow keeping the industry alive
>Cape autists ignore the fact that DC and Marvel killed the competition with the CCA, not the free market
>Ignore the fact that capeshit doesn't sell despite having a monopoly on the industry in the US
>Ignore the fact that both Marvel and DC's comic publishing has been hemorrhaging money for decades and were both bought out and are kept on life support by their parent companies to whore out their IPs.

No one reads capeshit except for autistic turbonerds

Refer to my post just above this garbage reply.

If fags are normal in 1000 years, or racial tensions completely foreign to them, then the x-men will seem mythological.

Why are indieshitters (the worst posters on Sup Forums) incapable of not being cunts?

And yet even less people read "indies". Especially "indies" that are capeshit of a different name. Like the faggot above telling me a superpowered slut fighting an evil force isn't a cape comic. because capes are defined by their capes.

>X-men is a way of commenting and describing the societal issues of gay and minority rights.

Which has nothing to do with whether something is mythology or not.

>In 1000 years, if fags become normalized, they'll see that as a mythological concept.

No, they won't, you have no fucking idea what you're talking about. Political commentary and mythology are not always distinct - most Hebrew prophets in the waning years of Israel & Judah were essentially political commentators who claimed to get their opinions from god - but they are not the same thing either.