The last Jedi drops on Friday $19.06M from Thursday $19.5M (-2.2%

OHNONONONO
Friday should've been a BIG increase in daily gross.
This is very disappointing for Star Wars.

With very bad legs and a very bad lifetime gross in China and the rest of Asia excl Japan (>$45M according to pre-sales) it might even fall short of Beauty and the Beast's lifetime gross of $1.25B.

Other urls found in this thread:

articles.latimes.com/1996-05-16/business/fi-4728_1_star-wars
fortune.com/2016/10/14/disney-dole-produce/
adage.com/article/news/superman-reboot-man-steel-snares-160m-promotions/241822/
slickdeals.net/f/10125396-buy-24-cans-dr-pepper-6-48-get-5-fandango-movie-certificate-ymmv-dr-pepper-wonder-woman-promo
nerdbastards.com/2016/02/04/dr-pepper-taps-into-the-power-of-the-justice-league/
deadline.com/2017/09/star-wars-receive-promotional-help-tie-ins-brands-general-mills-nissan-verizon-1202172967/
autonews.com/article/20161211/RETAIL03/312129996/stars-align-for-nissans-rogue-one-promotion
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>might "only" make $1.2 billion
>TFA grossed $2.2 billion
>ONE BILLION DOLLARS LESS

How long until Kathleen Kennedy gets fired?

It's fucking OVER

For comparison.
Even Rogue One had a thursday to friday increase of $1.5M.

TLJ made ony $800K more than Rogue One in its third friday.
On this pace it's not going to make more than $650M domestic.
Expect a very disappointing weekend and very bad legs on the weekdays as Christmas is over and it was already showing bad holds the day before Christmas.

When are we going to get the mousefags saying that the first sequel in a trilogy on track to do about 30 percent worse than the first is good?

Nah man, the company that fired Whedon for his sequel doing 7 percent worse than the biggest grossing Marvel movie to that time is totally comfortable with leaving over 500 million dollars on the table. They want to be neck in neck with a live action Beauty and the Beast.

Disney put out 2 sequels that made 90 million dollars more (Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2) and 200 million dollars more (Thor: Ragnarok) than their predecessors so Disney is going to be okay with a sequel making at least half a billion dollars less than the first one!

This is what mousefags actually believe.

HOW THE FUCK DO YOU MAKE LESS ON A FRIDAY NIGHT THAN THE DAY PROCEEDING

oh noo, a big company made over a billion dollars, they are doomer ):
this is a victory for us the kissless jobless virgins who'll never be as rich, beautiful or successfull as kathleen kennedy ):

it's breaking all kinds of records

so they made a lot of money from presales on day one and then dropped heavily and steadily, possibly as a result of word of mouth. Star wars might be finished. solo will bomb and next main episode will heavily under perform.

Best news of 2017

>it's breaking all kinds of records
I legit laughed. True, user. Too true.

its budget, advertising and all the toys they made that arent going to sell was probably a billion

ahahahaha oh my god, this can't be a troll, this must be either a delusional fan boy or a straight up shill

I can't believe tfa grossed that much. Makes sense because it was an event so to speak. But now it seems disney is diluting the franchise, by over exposing the public to it and by releasing turds like TLJ

CHINA SAVE US

The Last Jedi made $19 million. Jumanji made $17.75 million and might take the top spot this weekend. Who ready to get LITTY?

Other than TLJ sucking donkey balls, i think part of the problem is that TFA didn't really set up any interesting character or its own story very well.
Simply put, people aren't interested in these movies beyond the brand name

Dizzy also Spent 4 billion dollars buying the rights to star wars from George Lucas.

If this movie fails that was a HUGE investment lost.

Considering TFA's hype it should have been able to out-gross Avatar or at least Titanic.
The that it didn't speak a lot of its lasting quality

Disney isn't doomed. Use your brain. They will, however, find the source of this "net loss" and remove them. Doesnt matter how much money they already have because a million less is still a million less in their pockets. Freed fuels all their actions (it obviously isn't artistic vision).

Disney spends over 600 million dollars for every Star Wars flick and they paid 4 billion for the franchise. This is a disaster

I think we can all finally agree now
WE DID IT REDDIT

That’s because people are PISSING themselves watching LITTY Jumanji

>shill tears
lmao

I think what you're all forgetting is that with a franchise like Star Wars, each sequel is pitched to Disney under the pretense that it will gross MORE than it's predacessor. If it fails to do so, the big wigs absolutely get pissed. Sure it bad 1 billion dollars, but TFA made 2 billion. A 50% decrease of profits isn't just unfortunate, but down right shameful for a Disney franchise.

This will pave the path to the discussion of how valuable Star Wars is to the brand and whether or not to continue to make it a main stay of Disney branding or to put it on the back burner indefinitely until the next dry spell the company has.

Avatar and Titanic grossed so much because of James Cameron black magic.

Watch for piece of shit Alita the battle angel to beat any previous record.

but yeah, point taken. Many people must have seen it because of anticipation, then word of mouth impacted box office results, last jedi is even worse.

I predict solo will bomb bad and star wars 9 will have the lowest opening of the three thanks to franchise oversaturation, word of mouth, and poor reception of The Force Rehash and The Last Rehash

No I was totally meaning that unironically
I'm glad it's doing this bad, it should speak volumes

>oh noo, a big company made over a billion dollars, they are doomer ):

You have absolutely no idea of the finances and economics behind these movies and franchises do you? Over 30% loss in movie revenues spells to over 50% loss in merchandise sales, all that money that could have been spent for Disney products goes to other places now. That is the disaster for Disney in this., they did not make this movie to lose their ground in this field , it was always slated to increase both revenue from the movie and revenue from merchandise sales, now neither will happen.

>Simply put, people aren't interested in these movies beyond the brand name

People only want to watch Luke. If Luke didn't cap off the end of TFA it would've been shitted on. For some reason they killed Luke and now it's "Star Wars without the guy you watch Star Wars for entirely"

Die Hard without John
The Man with No Name without Blondie
Harry Potter without Harry Potter
James Bond without James Bond

Luke is Star Wars.

Marxist feminists would rather subvert expectations and deconstruct a narrative than make money. Weird but these types of people aren't good at making money, they're good at coming into an already successful business and making it die.

Kathleen?
It that you, you pie faced, beady eyed C.H.U.D?

>Fox won't give The Shape of Water a wide release yet because it would eat into Star War's revenue

Why were all those Star Wars video games and books that didn't have Luke in them so popular?

Why did Rogue One make so much money?

>diluting the franchise, by over exposing the public to it

I could definitely see this, there are so many star wars commercials (that have nothing to do with star wars) now I'm sure most people are sick of it by now.

>Why were all those Star Wars video games and books that didn't have Luke in them so popular?

They werent

>Why did Rogue One make so much money?

People thought they'd see Luke

Ill give you everything accept beautiful.

I am really kawaii, my dude

>Over 30% loss in movie revenues spells to over 50% loss in merchandise sales

citation needed

Can't wait now for Episode VIIII: Return of Jar-Jar Binks to laugh at box office

Will there be more starwars movies after this fiasco? I would say they lost their touch, but frankly they never had it. After their talent died of old age, they just bought succesful IP after IP and burned it to the ground.

>VIIII
You're the target audience.

imagine the quips though... imagine the quips...

What's wrong?
The correct name is Episode IIIIIIIII?

>VIIII
cracked me up

LOOK AT THE TOP OF HIS HEAD

REMINDER

In the United States, Knights of the Old Republic's computer version sold 470,000 copies and earned $14.7 million by August 2006, after its release in November 2003. It was the country's 32nd best-selling computer game between January 2000 and August 2006. The game's Xbox release received a "Silver" sales award from the Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers Association (ELSPA),indicating sales of at least 100,000 copies in the United Kingdom. By July 2006, the Xbox release had sold 1.3 million copies Next Generation ranked it as the 38th highest-selling game launched for the PlayStation 2, Xbox or GameCube between January 2000 and July 2006 in that country. Combined sales of Knights of the Old Republic console releases reached 2 million units in the United States by July 2006.
1.738 million unit sales of The Force Unleashed across all platforms made it the third best-selling game globally in the third quarter of 2008; as of July 2009, it had sold six million copies. The Force Unleashed was both the fastest-selling Star Wars game and LucasArts' fastest-selling game.

Lego Star Wars was the thirteenth best-selling game of 2005.[15] Figures released by The NPD Group show the PlayStation 2 version as the tenth best-selling single-platform title of 2005.[16] The game's worldwide sales total exceeded 3.3 million copies in March 2006[15] and 6.7 million in May 2009.[17] In the United States, the game's Game Boy Advance version alone sold 580,000 copies and earned $17 million by August 2006. During the period between January 2000 and August 2006, it was the 49th highest-selling game launched for the Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS or PlayStation Portable in that country.[18]

By July 2006, the PlayStation 2 version had sold 1 million copies and earned $34 million in the United States alone. Next Generation ranked it as the 54th highest-selling game launched for the PlayStation 2, Xbox or GameCube between January 2000 and July 2006 in that country.[21]

in your head

rent

free

Everyone here badmouthing this last jedi is an deep into plebbitry

Is it, dare I say breaking new ground?

Most of the books/games that have absolutely nothing to do with any of the iconic things in Star Wars aren’t broadly popular. They may be good tho. No vader, no Luke, x wings and you generally have a game/book that sells poorer because of it.

Rogue one had fucking Darth Vader in one of his most hyped scenes ever.

By being really fucking bad

companies likely mostly pay LucasFilm to have Star Wars advertised on their products or else advertise it for free.

May 16, 1996
No, Yoda will not be shown taking swigs from a can of Pepsi in "The Empire Strikes Back."

But the Hype--er, Force--will definitely be with PepsiCo Inc., which Wednesday said it has signed on for a $2-billion promotional tie-in with special editions of the "Star Wars" movies.

The multiyear alliance is billed as the biggest in entertainment history and dwarfs even the several hundred million dollars that Coca-Cola Co. will reportedly spend trumpeting its connection with the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta.

PepsiCo Chief Executive Roger A. Enrico said the $2 billion would cover licensing arrangements, royalties and exclusive rights to represent the films in its beverages, snacks and restaurants. It will also pay for promotions on and in packages of Pepsi beverages and Frito-Lay snack products, restaurant decor in the KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell chains and merchandise giveaways. The company typically spends $1.25 billion a year on advertising.

fortune.com/2016/10/14/disney-dole-produce/
October 14, 2016
Seeking to lure American children to the healthy delights of fruit and vegetables, Walt Disney Co.’s consumer products unit and Dole Food Company are launching co-branded fresh produce featuring Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, and Marvel characters.

Under the marketing tie-up announced on Friday, the companies will supply Disney-branded Dole bananas, pineapples, berries, and vegetables to U.S. grocery and retail stores. Financial details of the deal were not disclosed.

Next year, the companies will also launch health and nutrition education programs with themes based on Disney, Star Wars, and Marvel characters and films. The programs will include themed recipes featuring Dole products, in-store activities, and consumer promotions.

It’s subverting the records.

>Luke is starwars
For tonnes of fans Lukes nothing more than a part of the story, there's eras and stories explored without a single skywalker mentioned. Im hoping the last jedi burnt a lot of fat off the fan base because quite frankly I've seen 3 types of people hating last jedi and its weird because they're quite different; the absolute worst of the Sup Forums Niggers who think lukes story is a kike hitjob, tumblrinas and normies who are like but muh luke should be powafil .

>companies likely mostly pay LucasFilm to have Star Wars advertised on their products or else advertise it for free.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA
OH NO NO NO NO
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA

cant be doing too poorly.
you dipshits are still talking about it weeks later.

>red letter media pokes fun at rogue 1 breaking new ground
>99% of all last jedi reviews praise it for being a bold new direction for the series despite being a highlight reel of the fifth movie
How did they know?

Rogue One didn’t have a Skywalker until its last 5 seconds, and still was a decent SW movie and by far better than the other two NuWars flicks. Maybe people wouldn’t bitch too much if TLJ was, you know, a good Star Wars movie.

That's fucking embarrassing.

>dropping from thursday to friday
Jesus fucking christ how does that even happen?

stop it, rogue one was garbage.

Exactly. Disney's plan for a Star Wars movie every year is not sustainable. The franchise went 22 years with only 3 movies and was able to build up an unprecedented following. It was never built to sustain that kind of market saturation. Every time there was a new Star Wars it was an event and Disney has killed that aspect of the franchise.

lmao

that damage control tho

Star Wars OT and PT were the story of the fall and redemption of Vader and the story of his son. It makes no sense if you de-link it from the skywalker family. Who cares about the settings

It could have worked if TLJ wasn't a smoldering pile of shit, which simply fails at being a movie.

they were spin offs and certainly not as culturally relevant as the original trilogy. What the hell are you smoking. What sort of dumb point are you trying to make.

That's just it-- Disney and Kathleen Kennedy are not competent enough to make it work.

I'm hard as a rock thinking of all the investments that were wiped out.

The Crashed Jedi

what people are really forgetting is TFA was the first star wars in years, of course people are going to go in droves to see it, you dont know something is bad until you watch it right? i watched tfa in the cinema and it was fucking awful, i did not see rogue one in cinema nor TLJ, i wont ever give them a pennffiy of my money.
the point im trying to make is the success of future releases is often determined by how good the films were before it.

It's true. Compare it to the promotional items for Man of Steel and Wonder Woman. People actually got a decrease in the cost of their tickets for Batman v Superman if they bought some items. I doubt WB was paying companies to do that, but I guess it's possible. It probably helped increase ticket sales, though.

adage.com/article/news/superman-reboot-man-steel-snares-160m-promotions/241822/

www.movieweb.com/batman-v-superman-dr-pepper-cans/

slickdeals.net/f/10125396-buy-24-cans-dr-pepper-6-48-get-5-fandango-movie-certificate-ymmv-dr-pepper-wonder-woman-promo

nerdbastards.com/2016/02/04/dr-pepper-taps-into-the-power-of-the-justice-league/

deadline.com/2017/09/star-wars-receive-promotional-help-tie-ins-brands-general-mills-nissan-verizon-1202172967/

autonews.com/article/20161211/RETAIL03/312129996/stars-align-for-nissans-rogue-one-promotion

They will go through with Episode IX because it's too late to turn that ship around, but their expectations are going to be extremely tempered. There will be a lower marketing budget and less toys, and it will have to make more money than The Last Jedi, even if that is a very low bar to reach. If it fails to do that, or even worse, makes less money than TLJ, the franchise is going to go on ice for a decade or more.

Disney has just recently broken even on their Lucasfilm investment after 5 years. They no longer have as strong a sense of obligation to get a return on their investment. We'll be lucky to even get Star Wars video games if Episode IX bombs, but if they're all going to be made by EA I don't think I really care.

It's literally losing viewers to Jumanji. I shit you not.

Fucking kek.

something something well running dry

>he's still going
Dude companies pay for the tie-in marketing. It's bad enough that you have to defend this disaster but at least try not to embarrass yourself while doing it

TLJ had a good first week-end from the pre-sales. I thought TFA was a fun movie so I bought my tickets in advance to see it Day one (so I could avoid spoilers & be sure to have a seat). So I'd say a lot of people enjoyed TFA enough to see the second episode of the new trilogy.
The reason TLJ has been dropping ever since is because of the terrible word of mouth.

LITTY MOUSEKILLER PISSKINO!

china will add like 50 million to the total worldwide, not on opening but through its whole run

I already posted in this thread that Lucas received payment of enough money for promotional tie-ins to cover the production costs of the prequel movies and the Clone Wars tv shows. It would be unsurprising if companies have been paying LucasFilm/Disney to promote Star Wars movies.

May 16, 1996
No, Yoda will not be shown taking swigs from a can of Pepsi in "The Empire Strikes Back."

But the Hype--er, Force--will definitely be with PepsiCo Inc., which Wednesday said it has signed on for a $2-billion promotional tie-in with special editions of the "Star Wars" movies.

A Catostrophic failure is more fun to discuss and analyze than a blinding success

Am actual Marxist feminist; you're right, they totally fucked up by killing Luke.

He was *the* fictional hero to countless kids over the last forty years, and Disney derailed the story arc the hopeful and optimistic end of ROTJ was clearly pointing him towards. Disney has taken a shit on all that and also reset the clock in a rather boring fashion instead of letting the story progress - we're back to tiny rebellion against an evil empire and the Jedi being nearly extinct. We've seen all that before; how many films before the plot is allowed to progress?

If the director of the next one has half a brain, they'll make Kylo Ren's speech to Rey about abandoning both the Empire and the Rebel Alliance to build something new sincere and back it up with actions. Now THAT would be interesting.

It'll be lucky to get even that. 45 million is more likely.

>discuss.
more like grasp at straws.
>it only made a zillion they were expecting 1.5zillion ahahaha take that!

What he said. China didn't even give 150 million to The Force Awakens or 75 million to Rogue One. Now that word is out that an ugly Vietnamese lady race mixes with an ugly black guy and Luke acts like a weirdo and dies like a bitch, this won't even do 50 in China. South Korea and Japan won't give a shit, either. East Asia is not going to bail them out. Collectively this might not even gross 100 million off of China, Hong Kong, Japan and South Korea. Rogue One didn't even make 125 million off of those 4 regions, and this is tracking markedly worse than that.

>more like grasp at straws.
More like bombing compared to the previous movie

HOW THE FUCK DID THIS HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

All of you soyboys are a bunch of pathetic neckbearded basement dwellers. Get a job or something instead of cramming your unfulfilled cine-fetishes down our throats 24/7

Even in your strawman scenario they still lost 0.5 zillion dollars.

Does anyone what motivates to make a post like this?
Is it shilling?
Shitposting?
Genuine ignorance of how business works?

I NEED TO KNOW

If you had a job you would realize today is Saturday

they didn't lose anything and you fucking know it.
projected profits aren't profits.

kek, rekt

will Disney really give Johnson a trilogy after this?

Literal shills and this is not a meme. A company that spends 2 millions a month advertising a movie on fucking bananas can spend a few thousands paying a "internet visibility" marketing company or "online brand awareness" or whatever it's called

You clearly have no idea how modern business works in a shareholder, investor market. The board is obligated to perform Perform because they can’t just break even for their investors they have to excel and make them maximum profit otherwise their stock goes down. They have the single biggest money making movie franchise in the world and it’s barely scratching past 50% of their expectations and projections. I don’t know where you come from but 50% is a fucking failure. It doesn’t matter if they still make some money off because they could have made shit tons more profit. Someone’s gonna grt fucked for fucking them out of that potential which should have been and easy shoe in.

This is an amusing shit show to watch unfold.

Feminism is more important that profits so yes.

it lose confidence on the investoes which mean the franchise will get less money to market it self or make more movies or toys.

But it's already out in Japan and doing very solid business.

That's not how finance works. Your company's worth isn't measured by how much it makes today, it's measured by how much investors think it will make tomorrow. And if you don't deliver on their expectations, the value of your company goes down because their future expectations change accordingly.

ANALLY DEVASTATED

>t-t-t-the figure d-d-doesn't count.
>d-d-don't you know anything about investments?
pathetic kill yourselfs.