tabletmag.com/jewish-arts-and-culture/105853/breaking-bad-karma
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Masterpiece.

>pol

JEWS!!!!!!

I should put it on the reread list
I read it in high school but I don't even remember how I felt about it

you okay, pal?

Artwork is below scribble tier, the writing meanders since the writer can't decide if he wants to write about his fathers experiences or his relationship with his father, and I remember being horribly disappointed with the resolution.

Not the greatest thing ever, but worth a read.

A miserable piece of shit like Vladek should have died in the Holocaust (ignoring the argument that it likely didn't happen).

In after Sup Forums

The whole analogy topples when you realize that mice are pests that need to be exterminated, and that cats are just fulfilling their god-given duties.

The directionless style of writing is the entire point. It's about the author trying to reconcile incomprehensible tragedy that destroyed his family and his own personal experiences with his father. It's not about the Holocaust as much as it is about the Holocaust's effect on an individual not even involved in it directly.

/thread

anti-semitic garbage

>it's SUPPOSED to be bad

I remember reading it in highschool with my class and I was the only one that could distinguish which mice were supposed to be women from those who were supposed to be men. Maybe the artstyle was too simplistic.

Other than that I think it's a cool read

Fuck you, Spiegelman. My cat is not a Nazi.

It's decent in an arthouse "fathers and sons" sense, but it's pretty overrated.

GOTEEM XD

That counter-analogy falls apart when you realize that mice are a vital part of any ecosystem they appear in and cats kill everything they can overpower for no good reason. And also that being around cats and welcoming them into your home will poison your mind and eventually kill you.

How did they bandage his ear like that?

youtube.com/watch?v=WjbsD-TYi3s

"From the beginning of the century through the First War until the rise of Hitler the freemasonry of the Jewish merchants consistently undermined the German economy and the nationhood of the fatherland."

Based NSDAP

Getting bubonic plague from rats is even worse.

Also outdoor and feral cats. No need to invite them in.

Cats > Mice

>saying that Jews can possibly be bad in any way
Look at this anti-semite

I can kinda get that, but to me it just made the entire plot slow and draggy with no real payoff or conclusion other than it ending. Then again I have a strong distaste for slice-of-life type stories, so I might not be the audience for this stuff.

I learn Polish have been always racists.
If they are smarter they would be the one who did the Holocaust.

>JEWS!!!!!!
Yes but I still think it's a good piece of work, I forget if there were mention of gas chambers though. Also properly functioning incinerators don't spew ash.

Kitler did nothing wrong.

>arthouse

Not even. Maus is designed for the widest audience it could hit. Simple art and a straight forward narrative

People always call Maus "arthouse" because of literally every other fucking thing Spiegelman did, which is unbelievably annoying because it makes normies think all you have to do to be "arthouse" is publish some basic fucking doodles.

It's fun, it's good.
The only thing is you never get to see kitler.

I got banned the last time I posted my views on it.

That made me laugh.
Also, do it user, do you fear the mod man that much

So that explains 80% of what Fantagraphics publishes

The Day of the Trap will arrive soon.

Splat the (((Rat)))!

Pest control now!

No one has posted the "I'm a furry" comic where they discover Maus?

STANDOH POWAH

He did a good job contrasting the struggles of his father's past with his current miserly, stingy attitude at old age in America.

It's a fucking shame that his mother's journals were burned.

Read the first book and liked it
Own both books just need to get around to reading it.

>People always call Maus "arthouse" because of literally every other fucking thing Spiegelman did
Things like the Garbage Pail Kids?

My first and only exposure to it was from a storytime of both parts on Sup Forums
Very nice story, I wish more parts of it could've been told but I guess there was no way he could've known what would happen

Made a small impression on me when I discovered the first volume in the local library as a kid. Made a bigger impression on me a few years later when I could understand it better, and found both parts of the story. Prisoner on the Hell Planet in particular may have fucked me up a bit.

Vladek is interesting because on one hand you can see how a lot of his stinginess helped him survive in the first place, but it becomes neurotic once he's transplanted to America.

it just works

Some Sup Forums Anons actually like Maus because you're not told to believe what Vladek said and that Vladek was portrayed as a cynical cunt who screwed over others unlike depictions in Night where everyone's innocent and stuff like babies getting piked being seen as unrealistic compared to Maus
Also the cereal scene

the cats are total douchebags here

Vladek was completely what Sup Forums thinks of Jews.

>implying the holocaust happened

Maus is in the house

I read it in sixth grade, and got it from a Catholic school library if you can believe that.
It holds up, it does a good job of portraying Vladek as a human (mouse), because unlike in some other holocaust accounts, he's not portrayed as some saintly old man, he was a fucker and a pretty shitty person at times, but he went through enormous loss and that makes him very relatable.

Ever checked out MetaMaus? It's an interesting look into Spiegelman's OCD.

Shouldn't they be rats?

but it should have

The cereal scene is absolutley hilarious in my opinion.
"THEN JUST SAVE THE DAMN SPECIAL K INCASE HITLER EVER COMES BACK!" Is one of the best out of context lines in any piece of literature ever.

>let the bodies hit the floor
>let the bodies hit the...
>FLOOOOOOOOOOR!!!

>oy vey the nazis glued pennies to the bottom of the pool. millions of jews drowned.

It's good but it rambles in some places

thank you, shmooley. 2 shekels have been deposited into your account.

>>pol

it's Sup Forums fucking Sup Forumsblr

All fulfill their role in kind. Hate nothing. Love nothing. Merely accept them as they are.

>google "maous"
>not DC or Marvel
>not even steven-universe or invader zim related

INTO THE TRASH

>Night
It was real in his mind user.

There's a podcast called Inkstuds that did an interview with Gilbert Hernandez from Love and Rockets

He says the biggest problem with the alt/art scene is people who think they can get by with no artistic ability just because their comic " means something"

Why was the dad such a fucking Jew and a rascist prick

My favorite romantic comedy

I forgot what was the Cereal scene?

It was good.

Mice =/= Rats, you dumbass.

Because Vladek was a real person and Art wanted to portray him as accurately as he could. Art has said that he recognized how his father played into a lot of negative stereotypes, but he felt it was important not to gloss over parts of Vladek's personality that might offend some people or fuel other people's racist beliefs. For what it's worth, members of the Jewish community (like Mala) shit on Vladek for his miserliness.

All of the racists I know became that way because of black people.

>For what it's worth, members of the Jewish community (like Mala) shit on Vladek for his miserliness.

Shitting on Holocaust survivors is pretty common these days:

tabletmag.com/jewish-arts-and-culture/105853/breaking-bad-karma

There's a difference between a black person and a nigger user. I say this because even blacks hate niggers on a conceptual level, arguably even moreso that white supremacists do.

Can't deny that the scene where his father is racist towards the black guy is what I love about this comic. All of the jews weren't these elves that were preyed upon by the germans, they were human too and just like the germans some of them were pretty shitty too. But they are human and we should love other humans. Fuck preachy hollywood that shit was real.

I'm very fond of it. Overrated for sure but I like it. Vladek is an interesting character because of how flawed he is and because of how these unpleasant traits also turned out to be key to his survival. I'm glad it didn't shy away from portraying a stingy jew even though it would offend people. It feels like one of the most real depictions of how things went down in Germany, and it wasn't even too preachy. I empathized a lot more with Vladek than Art.

A few years ago, during a History assignment, my group was supposed to make a school play based on a comic book, and they were originally going to use Captain America until I suggested Maus (because everyone was doing assignments based on superheroes). I wrote the script and I ended up playing Vladek.

Has anyone tried to turn it into an animated movie ?

The best part about your post is that the last image makes fun of what you're doing

>reads article
This person sounds like a complete asshole though. And this article's from a site where you're expected to pay to make comments.

Spiegelman has a very hard line no movies no TV no adaptations of any sort policy towards Maus.

It would have to be very stylized, as if it was animated with smudging and water-colors, rather than cgi, at least for the portions where Vladek is telling his story.

Good on him for trying to keep some form of his artistic integrity.

Makes sense.
An adaptation would add nothing and I don't think he'd want someone to try and make a profit out of something so personal to him.

Why is there so much hate in the media towards cats?

It's quite good. I think I'm a fan of the subject, especially personal accounts which can show just what life was like at the time. It rambles but in that sense, it shows off what the people were going through (both back then and relating to his father) at the time.

>Why is there so much hate in the media towards cats?
Because there is no great fear of mice and rats for most people, so there isn't much great love for cats. It's easier to put mice in the role of heroes for stories because they're small and cute, and you naturally end up with cats as the antagonists as a result.

The whole hate for cats is mostly from dogfags who never knew how to deal with a cat and resent them for not being like dogs, and thus feel like they have to treat cats like unfeeling spawns of Satan. That, and cultural prejudices like "black cat brings you bad luck".
And cats are easier to turn into villains because they hunt other animals and because they tend to be less overly affectionate and more independent than dogs, which also kind of makes people perceive some intelligence. And that goes with the brawn = good, brains = evil cliche.
And besides, mice are cute and people usually don't fear them.

That's make sense you don't want to gloss over what type of person he really was but from what I got he didn't seem to learn anything from the whole thing except shit happens I guess

>rats and mice carry disease
>cats hunt rats

I don't get it

Ah I see, now that makes sense. Do you ever notice that catfags never really have much of a problem with dogs yet dogfags absolutely despise cats? Food for thought personally I like both except small dogs fuck those little bastards.

I have to prefer dogs because of allergies

Small dogs are genetic mistakes

Most mice and rats do not, in fact carry disease any more readily than any other animal. Black rats are the primary carriers of fleas that carry the plague (which also kills the rats), but have mostly been pushed to warm coastal regions by Brown rats, which do not carry the fleas which carry the plague. The biggest problem rats and mice cause is mostly due to their eating habits, and their marking of food with urine so they can find it again later.

That's a point that gets overlooked by people who skim the book and then shit on the metaphor. Spiegelman even casts doubt on his own metaphor in that scene where one of the prisoners claims to be German and when he's talking with his psychiatrist.

To get to OP's question, it's a good book especially in the larger history of comics in the West, not for the subject matter but for helping expand the acceptance of comics into the larger public.

That's because catfags pretty much need to know at least a little bit about handling pets outside of feeding them and cleaning their shit if they don't want their cat to leave them or die, and that requires some patience. Dogs are pretty easy to train and it doesn't take much to make them like you, but cats are picky and complicated. It's pretty similar to raising a human child, you kind of learn as you go along.
The only catfag that I know that dislikes dogs is myself, and even then I like large sleepy dogs that don't jump on me and beg for affection.

When was the last time somebody you know suffered from the bubonic plague?

More accurately, when was the last time you, or someone you know, even saw a mouse or a rat in your house? When was the last time you brought a cat into your house in order to kill off a rat problem? It's not something that people will regularly associate with the animals. Sure, cats hunt mice and people understand that intellectually, but their biggest association with mice are cute white lab rats and their biggest association with cats are the assholes who scratch you and hide behind sofas.

It's easy to make those people sympathize with the mice.

It's not just the matter of the story being personal to him, but he also really believes in the potential of comics. He made Maus in the form of a comic because he wanted it to be read as a comic.

>How does Sup Forums feel about Maus?
I feel like I'm going to kill the person responsible for making Maus required reading in my high school

>when was the last time you, or someone you know, even saw a mouse or a rat in your house?

My house has been crawling with those little fuckers for nearly a year. Must be nice not living in a shithole.

>It's easy to make those people sympathize with the mice.

I don't know about that. Most people I know wouldn't hesitate to kill a mouse if they saw one in their home. I think it's just an easy analogy to go with for cartoons and the like.

Well I have a cat so no I don't see any rats, even when I didn't have a cat I saw no rats. That more sounds like your problem user.

Why? There are worse picks for require reading, I find the book amusing even.