What was so evil about this guy?

What was so evil about this guy?
He just wanted to succeed in business

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HzpxTmlWOC4
youtube.com/watch?v=DvZ1YQCTWi8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because it was not enough for him to succeed. He had to make sure others fail so that nobody else but him can have success.

HE ABANDONED HIS BOY

well he killed 2 people

He talked too loud and wasn't different enough from Bill the Butcher.
>method

He did nothing wrong from a Jewish perspective.

Why did he kill the preacher when he came begging to him?

he had a miserable existence, but he was a productive man building a better future

for him, the world was purely material. that's not how most people want to live, but you can't ignore material wealth as a contributor to mankind's well being.

my opinion of daniel plainview is a mix of admiration and pity.

He was a capitalist pig

he gave alcohol to a minor for consumption.
that is against the law.

Maybe bill faked his own death and came back as this guy

he was pretty mean to his orphan son

youtube.com/watch?v=HzpxTmlWOC4

>Eli accosts him of lusting after women in the baptism scene
>not even one scene of him in the company of women

i remember bennie asking to borrow money
for some sex time with whores.

He drinked Eli's milkshake

youtube.com/watch?v=DvZ1YQCTWi8

i kek'd so hard soda shoot thru nose

Daniel is no hero, he's not morally perfect, but he's not just "evil." He's a much more sympathetic character than people make him out to be. For most of the film, he has genuinely good intentions, not just for himself but for everyone else he works with. Those big speeches he makes about the benefits of his oil business for the communities he mines are not bullshit, he means every word, and he follows through. He brings prosperity to everyone around him and he's proud of it.

He's kind of a cold fish, obsessed with work to the exclusion of social life, but this doesn't make him a bad person. Watch the way other people treat him. He gets upset, disappointed, and disillusioned with other people because he expects them to understand what he's doing for them. He expects them to work with him, for their mutual benefit, but he's always being tripped up and slowed down by other peoples' greed, stupidity, and dishonesty.

His fatal flaw is that he makes no real balance in his life, he has nobody to love except HW, nobody to calm him down and prove him wrong when his frustration turns into bitterness. When he "loses" HW, then forms a friendship with his "brother" only to be betrayed and let down again, his bitterness tips over the edge into outright anger and hatred, and it all goes downhill.

He especially hates Eli, because Eli is a hypocrite and people love him for it. Daniel provides real, tangible benefit to the community. Eli offers superstition and drama, he sets himself up as a local celebrity while offering people nothing real in return. He attaches himself to Daniel like a leech, acting entitled to a share of the oil well's profits. And in the final scene, he reveals himself to be just as driven by greed, money and self-interest as Daniel ever was. He just isn't straightforward about it, and he isn't good at it. He's a perfect representative of the type of person who has been fucking Daniel over for his entire life.

MUH PIPELINE

Because Eli was a liar and a worm.

Good and bad, evil and altruism, all subjective. However I will say this.

He sure did know how to party!

You're a good man with a good understanding of life.

>Those big speeches he makes about the benefits of his oil business for the communities he mines are not bullshit, he means every word, and he follows through. He brings prosperity to everyone around him and he's proud of it.

no he doesn't, that was all bullshit. the movie didn't show him building anything for the people he manipulated.

Very good post. Say what you like about Plainview, but Eli was by far the most horrible person in the film, and probably one of the worst in all of film. At least if he believed in what he was doing you'd respect him some bit.

This right here

You didn't pay attention. They don't hit you over the head with it, but the town is growing & developing over the course of the film, everyone gets a job. They're all much better off at the end than the beginning, everyone except Daniel. Even fucking Eli gets a new, bigger church out of the deal, where he then humiliates Daniel in front of everyone

It's also just common logic. Has there ever been a settlement in North America that didn't prosper by proxy from oil drilling?
It goes without saying that he helped a lot of people, he didn't care about giving money to his "brother" too, it was being played for a fool that set him off, he needs to be at the top.

Much like abrahamic gods, Daniel will provide, but he needs to be the sole providor.

Is this movie still on Netflix?

the church was built and the derricks were built, the movie doesn't show anything else being built. the town may be growing, but that's only because daniel needs men to work on the derricks. by the end of the movie, the oil in that area was completely drained, so there's no reason for the men working for him to stay there. he sucked the place dry and probably turned it into a ghost town.

i sucked your dad dry you faggot

i'm sorry user i'm not even the guy you were replying to, i just felt like posting that