Why do "robot racists" always use the term toasters...

Why do "robot racists" always use the term toasters? Did all sci-fi writers get together and decide that was gonna be the slur we use?

Other urls found in this thread:

byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15591
youtube.com/watch?v=LRq_SAuQDec
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Brave_Little_Toaster
youtube.com/watch?v=AOswpxjIYrw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is skinjob copyrighted?

because toast tastes good and they would rather see them as a source of good tastes

because he's writing dialogue for a character who isn't clever

It always seems to come down to just one good slur after awhile. Nigger doesn't have the same punch as jiggaboo or spear chucker, both of which just sound retarded. You need something with nice sharp consonance sounds like "ki" "ger" "uck" "ick".

I've never seen this directed at characters other than Vision and his family, and it was John Byrne who started that.

I always liked "Top Ten's" term, Clickers.

Nu battlestar galactica started it

I've always used toasters to refer to shitty computers and i've seen it used for other stuff too. I think it's because

1) toasters are very simple machines that really only do one thing and therefore strips intellect away from the subject

2) toasters are almost entirely mechanical and so it applies to literally every robot. Vision doesn't use microwaves, refrigeration, or has a sort of television screen on him.

It's been a thing for a long time

>RIKER: You just want me to prove that Data is a mere machine. I can't do that because I don't believe it. I happen to know better. So I'm neither qualified nor willing. You're going to have to find someone else.

>PHILLIPA: Then I will rule summarily based upon my findings. Data is a toaster. Have him report to Commander Maddox immediately for experimental refit.

Skinjob only woks if they look convincingly human like the Replicants

Now do they even exist in Marvel when one of the heroes of WWII was a artificial human?

I hear black comedians use spearchucker fairly often. I like it. It works better the more stereotypes you put in front of it.
"Fuck you you big lipped, crack smoking, baby momma abandoning, property value destroying, bike stealing, Kool-Aid slurping spearchucker."

>a bunch of white kids talking about their favorite slurs to use for black people

oh, Sup Forums

It was around at least since the 80s.

Because they take your jobs.

Technically the word "robot" itself is rooted in slavery, so they might find it offensive, if they had feelings.

toaster has been a generic word for 'fancy electronic gizmo' for a while. Applying it to robots is not a stretch.

>It is a "Mechanical Americans" episode

>robota is literally the Czech word for slavery

discussions about sci-fi must be very different there

Cept he's an Avenger.

Damn its the racism that makes it all fall apart for me. It's like Vision was sucked into the X-men sub world.

>Go to a factory
>Many of the assembly line workers have been replaced with robots

I'm always a sucker for "can AI be human" stories. It's why I've got a shit ton of Asimov on my shelf.

>toasters are almost entirely mechanical
Really only the ejection mechanism is mechanical. Toasters are primarily thermoelectrical.

Pic related, it's a toaster. I think we should have a toaster thread just to make /m/ jelly that they can't do toaster threads anymore.

Not like they are in some blue collar factory town

>/m/ jelly that they can't do toaster threads anymore.
huh?

I think you've got it backwards. Toaster is a slur for robot because it's such a simple machine; It's reductionist and compares them to nothing more than a tool. It's like when you hear robots call humans "meatbags"

In reference to the Vision specifically, it references something specific John Byrne said in 2006:

>Should something that can be so easily copied and retrieved be treated as having the same intrinsic value as a human being? Should any of the human Avengers, for instance, ever risk their lives on behalf of the Vision? My vote would be no (as some of you have probably already guessed) -- but I would say that even if it were not possible to restore or "save" the Vision in any other way. He is a "toaster".

byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15591

Get used to it or leave

>Should something that can be so easily copied and retrieved be treated as having the same intrinsic value as a human being?
This just raises a huge philosophical can of worms. What if we had the ability to perfectly clone a person and copy their brain waves? Do their lives no longer hold value?

Also in regards to your original point: John Byrne used the term toaster because it had already become a part of the common vernacular in regards to robots by that time.

I think it's derogatory to call them robots. Robot is drawn from an old Church Slavonic word, robota, for “servitude,” “forced labor” or “drudgery.

I think it started with Battlestar Galactica, and now it's just ingrained in nerd culture. Like "frak".

Because computers have been at the point for a good while now that they're learning, so calling them a computer doesn't work.

>posting 'robot' on a blue board

That's our word you fucking meat sack

im actually a spic

What are some good spic slurs?
All I got are beaner and fruit-picker.

Red Dwarf is another example: hard to find co related pic.
I think Battlestar was late 70s, can't find earlier use ia google scholar.
Not co but apposite: youtube.com/watch?v=LRq_SAuQDec

Wetback

You'd think I'd have more after living with two for two years

Just start listing Tex-Mex foods. Pedro and Juan work too if those aren't actually their name.

>Do their lives no longer hold value?
Venture Brothers says no

>What if we had the ability to perfectly clone a person and copy their brain waves?

Spider-Man says hi. The argument Byrne uses is defective within the context of the universe he was writing.

>Why do "robot racists" always use the term toasters?
As others have pointed out: NuBSG popularized the term and most comicbook writers are anything BUT creative ( see also: "frak" and any black character who says something like "Ya FEEL me??" that's lifted from The Wire ).

My guess for why "toaster" rather than "blender" or "microwave" or other appliance is this:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Brave_Little_Toaster

it's a John Byrne joke! he famously called Vision a toaster because Byrne is dumb and doesn't get it

Vision is that guy actually. I don't have 4 hours to explain it and Roy Thomas's Golden Age boner

>any black character who says something like "Ya FEEL me??" that's lifted from The Wire
You realize this is something that black people said long before The Wire, right?

youtube.com/watch?v=AOswpxjIYrw

>Vision is that guy actually.
Pretty sure he meant the first Human Torch.

Vision is that guy.

>NuBSG

Doesn't using "toaster" for Cylon date back to the original BSG?

Clanker, scraphead, tinman, golem, Pinocchio, Robby (these two being used more as slurs used by androids against other androids they perceive as traitors to their kind)

John Byrne called Vision a vacuum cleaner, iirc. Toaster is just a term that has really caught on because it reduces robots to a really mundane "brainless" single function machine, which is great for a derogatory slur.

Because people call old tvs and shitty computers in the same derogatory way. A toaster is a really basic and kind of diminutive piece of technology compared to something with more varied functions like a microwave or a pressure cooker.

I remember Vision being constructed from Human Torch I's used up parts or something like that so it would make him more of a copy