Alt-Comics General

No hate all love General

Disregarding all the bullshit false flagging that usually occurs, here's a nice friendly Alt-comics general.

With that out of the way anyone read any interesting comics about traveling like pic related?

Other urls found in this thread:

koyamapress.com/blog/koyama-press-announces-fall-2017-and-japan-trip/
comixjoint.com/underground-a.html
studygroupcomics.com/main/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Doofusanon here. What's the difference between alt and indie?

They're commonly lumped but it's a simple misconception.

Indie is just short for independent or simply personally financed or made

Alt as in alternative is simply different from the norm which in comics is serialized cape or gag/newspaper strip

Ones a format and ones a genre.

I like Andy Burkholder's stuff and think some of DeForge's shit is cool
does that count

Never read, is this what you're talking about?

J moyns "forming" is a treat for the eyes. He used to update pretty regularly on his site, too. I havent checked in with it for awhile, hes doing some stuff with his brother.

Does it automatically make it an alt comic if it shares this kind of aesthetic?

No, this is going way more into abstract range, alt is just more drama, realist, .

Though take all this genre stuff with a grain of salt, most people making this kind of stuff don't usually care too much about the genre their works fit in. I'm totally fine with this thread going the abstract route if that's what everyone's feeling.

Koyama Press just announced their upcoming books for this fall and it's stacked.
koyamapress.com/blog/koyama-press-announces-fall-2017-and-japan-trip/

I'm mostly excited for GG's book. I absolutely love her comics and I'm glad she's doing something for Koyama.

I love alt manga but I don't like alt comics.

yeah
it's weird but comfy

I dig Ware's stuff a lot and diary comics from Leslie Stein and Noah Van Sciver
any recomendations like them?
Brandon Graham's Multiple Warheads was a good ride though, I wouldn't mind reading some stuff in that style

Oh, I'd missed this. Thanks, user.

I'm more into Drawn & Quarterly and Fantagraphics, I feel like Koyama uses too much non linear storytelling

Does this count as alt comics?

My mom said it was pretty good, but I've still not gotten around to giving it a look.

Interesting, I've never read anything from koyama. Any outliers from previous years you could suggest?

You're all out of luck with Ware, he's kind of his own beast all together.

As for more the diary style I have one main suggestion but it isn't happy. Stitches by David Small, I don't get emotional over a lot but that one took some strength out of me.
Another one is The Tickling by Renee French for the more minimal abstract style. Any Empire for a childhood diary route, I don't fully endorse the book as I wasn't a fan personally but I know it was well received.

Once again take my suggestions with a grain of salt, admittedly most of my reading falls under abstract and depressing.

Yeah, it gave me a lot of Alison Bechdel vibes but with a more happy tone

If you're on the fence you should give it the read.

Big fan of Red Elegy, or Yoshihiro Tatsumi's work?

I'm a huge Michael DeForge fan and Koyama published his solo anthology series Lose and a couple of collections. I also like Jane Mai, Jesse Jacobs, and Daryl Seitchik.

I need at least melancholy or a little optimism
I really liked Gauld's Mooncop

DeForge's Lose is the biggest Koyama series.
Then there are Dustin Harbin's Diary Comics, Patrick Kyle's GNs and Alex Schubert's Blobby Boys.

If you need at least the light at the end of the tunnel I suggest don't touching stitches, that book will hit you like giving a kid Watership Down after watching Winnie the Pooh.

Gotta check out this DeForge guy, looks like a cute version of prison pit.

got this one the other day, also been reading a bit of cynical man recently. need to buy some of the new mini kus and baltic comics magazine too since ive fallen behind on those

ok thanks for the advice, I'm the type of adult who genuinely enjoys watching the Tigger movie ever once in a while
so basically I like stories of adults who act act immature and wander a lot

The Limner journals are super interesting but fuck they are a bit of hard sell. Haven't quite read anything more out there, but the presentation and quality of books is awesome.

desu i think it can be a bit pretentious sometimes, especially #2 where theres all that talk in the beginning about starting a discourse and sharing ideas and then the first written piece is just some unfunny dickhead whinging about how he procrastinates too much. there is always a fair bit of really good stuff in each issue though and its turned me on to some very good artists that i wouldnt have known about.

He and Johnny Ryan aren't at all alike.

Hey man you do you, that was just the impression from a quick look. Not the crudeness but the simple style mixed with extreme and weird creatures mixed mild body horror and violence

he doesnt really do that stuff, especially in his more recent work.

The new issue of Crickets is stunning. I picked up the final issue of Ganges as well but I haven't read it yet. I think I'm actually a little sad that it's ending.

Koyama's fall 2017 publishing lineup looks awesome. I'm especially excited about the new Noel Freibert book.

Do you guys think Matt Brinkman's stuff will ever be reprinted?

Speaking of Deforge who's reading 'Leaving Richard's Valley', his webcomic?

was for a bit but i think im just going to wait for it to end and read in one go desu

That's what I'm doing too

Just wanted to say thanks for the story time, great read so far

I like 'em but the Nishioka Kyodai are my jam.

Ok. Unfortunately I´m posting pretty much the only chapter of this comic (Thé de Noix) that can be posted here.

And there it ends.

I'm pumped for GG's book as well. I heard that she was doing something for Koyama from the 2dcloud people last year. Glad to see it come to fruition.

!!!patrician spotted!!!
whats your favourite? love that short story about the asshole fisherman

Anybody have any good sources for scans of alt comics?

>Conor Willumsen

N O I C E

One of the few truly original voices in comics right now.

Unfortunately if a publisher doesn't provide online copies then it becomes extremely case by case with no central place for them.

Readcomiconline is just now adding a bit of surface level stuff, though it does have that really experimental collection by Gilbert Hernandez on there actually so there's that.

Damn I was hoping I just sucked at finding them. It's hard to keep up with alt comics as a poorfag

Best thing I can suggest is while you should always stay up to date on artist you care about because it's worth it. Find used book stores large enough to have a comic section, depending where you are it can really help out.

I've never spent more than 15 dollars on a comic with my collection as pic related. (There's a few holes given I let people borrow my comics a lot)

there really arent any except for popular fantagraphics stuff.

you can read all sorts of underground comix though, pretty much everything here is available as a scan comixjoint.com/underground-a.html

Isn't there anything on libgen?

Woah thanks!

What are some good sites/publishers to find alt-comics on, besides the usual Fanta/D&Q.

So basically indie is a catch all term for anything published independently, and alt is kind of like more experimental works that play around with the convictions of the medium and often don't have a straight forward narrative?

theres thousands mate. it completely depends on what you like it's not like theres an essentials list. just google the artists you like from fanta / D&Q and see who else they have published with and then look into what else they have published.

alt just means its not capes really. ZOT is indie but not alt. Island is alt but not indie.

Alt is alternative to the norm so slightly experimental but the problem is you're going to run into a lot of subjective squares and subjective rectacles because there's also experimental, and abstract.

I like the stuff over at Study Group Comics. Sometimes hit and miss but there's a decent variety to content. Plus when my order of Double + arrived late due to them moving they gave me some Moebious trading cards.
studygroupcomics.com/main/

love when they throw in little freebies, got some stuff from naivsuper.de a few months ago and i got a whole extra book from a different publisher by the guy who owns it

I've become interested in the more experimental type, very surreal works. The problem is that it's also very easy for those types of comics to be honestly not very good. I also like adventure, historical, and comedy stories.

I suggest reading the comic in the OP if you haven't.

bump

Dumping some Renee French art

That's it for the dump

So what are some underrated works you guys feel deserve more attention? For me it's Set to Sea. It's short but very well done. The one panel per page format and the limited dialogue really help you take in each drawing, and it's nice to see a story that doesn't delve into boring melodrama. If you can try to get the hardcover, it looks better.

Greta comic
Oh GG's doig summat for Koyama? I like that kind of "arms-length asthetic GG uses in (her?) comics
>Anonymous 05/16/17(Tue)11:05:00 No.92427641▶
>
>yeah
>it's weird but comfy
Leslie Stein rules but the best ongoing alternative floppy is , without a doubt Crickets by Sammy Parkham
>
Yes itdoes
Michae Deforge's Lose, Little Tommy Lost by Cole Closser, Jesse Jacob's comics...also just got Deforge's Sticks Angelica, great comic.
Also Blobby Boys
That's Chip from Lose...#3, I wanna say? Great story. If you can afford the exhorbitant prides
If you likr Set To Sea check out Chris Wright's Black Lung and to a lesser extent The Red Grampus by Walt Holcombe--very much the evil siblings to Set To Sea. Also Nowhere and Daddy'd home by debbis Drechsler deserve much more regognition, masterpieces each, hard-coing but well research the time you invest in them. Very brave comics.

Wow, an actually fucking good thread...

I like Aidan Koch's stuff

Also Sir Alfred #3 diserves a fuck-ton more attention, probably the best comic of 2016 along with along and Sickness by Gabby Schulz. Step up the plebian game and you will reap many dividends. And, again CRICKETS BY SAMMY HARKHAM!!! Not collecting it and you call your self a comics aficianado? Sort out you fucking priorities, best ongong floppy since the Golden Age of ongloing floppies. Ifyou're too late to the party all is not lost, you could always wait to buy the collection {latecomers}

I know, I have two copies of CRICKETS #4 and #6 and also two copies of Sir Alfreds so I could frame the print that came with one. Hensley is so gracious, he regular luchncheons with another of my favourite Walt Holcombe and was so gracious and thankful--he even asked Walt to pass his thanks on to me. Waly sentme a bunch of drawings and dedicated books of his, including he original xeric-winning print of Prince of purchase which he lavishly illustrated for me...Walt is a true fucking gentleman and Tim isn't far behing, I get the impreion they both get kind of embarrassed and have a hard time accepting complimnets...WaitI have all the signed walt stuff somehwere....
This is the rather nice letter/pic he drew me...

Explain what makes Sir Alfred so good. The previews I've seen of it don't look that impressive.

Also are you me? I agre with everything yo ay about Sir Alferd and Crickets....weirrd...

You need to read it. If you don't like that sort fo vernacular drawing andslightly fictionalised nut supremely truthful to the subject matter I'm not sure it'l be for you. What turns you off about the project?

You are the only person besides myself who I have ever seen use the phrase vernacuar drawing. Thank you.

Btw have Fanta got any "damaged" copies left? I was lucky enough to get a slightly damaged copy from Fanta then a mint copy from Spit_And_A-Half so now I have a reading copy and a frameable Psycho print, win-win

"Prince of Persia", sorry, too many valium

Journey To The End of The World.

lose #2

think #3 is the one with the weird dogs story

fair choice, have you read sadness of the heart & me bug tho? its all short stories and quite a few are as good as that / better. especially the fisherman one and this one

Yeah I've read everything from them that's scanlated and enjoyed them all. The group that did Me Bug said they'd be releasing more of their stuff(the collection of kafka adaptations and hell/jigoku were mentioned iirc) but it's been a year since and nothing. Everything they do hover around the same quality but personal preferences comes in when choosing a favorite due to the themes the stories explore. Journey is also very long and thus the experience is heightened for me but it's also just truly the type of story I absolutely adore so that's why it's my favorite. I wish I could own something from them...

im sure they'll get something released in english eventually, they have such a strong cult following at this point that it would be a missed opportunity not to

>they have such a strong cult following
Do they? I didn't know... and they have quite a distinctive style, both in writing and art that is...hm, let's say an acquired taste. Most manga that gets licensed is pretty mainstraem though, hell, it took them 10 years to finally reprint Blame and that's really popular and has a cult following.

I was disappointed that in AX the Nishioka Kyodai story is one from their Sadness of The Hear collection... the Imiri Sakabashira one was my favorite from that volume but you couldn't even look up what other things he'd done on baka updates much less pray for something else to get scanlated. I did like his AX short much better than The Box Man though.

yeah that new one they did god's child is popular as fuck online because of how gross and weird it is. similar kind of following to stuff like uzumaki.

I remember talk of it when it was scanlated by kotonoha(?) but only for a few months after it's release. It's also not really representative of their style. I like it a lot but it's... not like their rest.
>new one
>new
lel

fairly new isnt it? think it came out about 2011

Speaking of manga, I've recently began enjoying Naoki Urasawa and I wonder if there are any long series of thriller/mystery comics?

bump

Is Doom Patrol considered alt?
I'm really enjoying the current run.

Not remotely, shill. It's not wednesday yet go back in your YA hole.

S-sorry ;_;

No but it's pretty good.