Wonder Woman storytime

The Legend of Wonder Woman (Kurt Busiek)

youtube.com/watch?v=ivHRsrcsgy0

Not caught up to the thread? No worries! Each of these stories, with a few exceptions, is relatively self-contained. Though obviously the more you've read, the more you'll like it.
You can start with any writer you want.

Gods and Mortals (George Perez)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91303244/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91309099/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91350699/

Losses (Bill Messner-Loebs)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91378988/

The Contest (Bill Messner-Loebs)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91465631/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91474261/

Paradise Lost (Phil Jimenez)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91513614/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91567315/

JLA: A League of One and The Golden Perfect (Christopher Moeller, Joe Kelly)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91620693/

The Hiketeia (Greg Rucka)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91685232/

Eye of the Gorgon (Greg Rucka)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91729913/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91758835/

Marathon (Greg Rucka)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91845845/

The Circle (Gail Simone)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91874229/

Ends of the Earth (Gail Simone)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91897256/

Rise of the Olympian (Gail Simone)
The Legend of Wonder Woman (Renae De Liz)
The True Amazon (Jill Thompson)
Year One (Greg Rucka)
The Twelve Labors (Martin Pasko)
Extras:
The Contest (pre-Crisis)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91415540/

Manhunter: Unleashed
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91788430/

Artemis: Requiem

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/sh/rwqrasp45cfsxu9/AACi5mhCeheYFvp-L9juE0t5a?dl=0
vancouversun.com/news/staff-blogs/trina-robbins-wonder-woman-comics
twitter.com/AnonBabble

dropbox.com/sh/rwqrasp45cfsxu9/AACi5mhCeheYFvp-L9juE0t5a?dl=0

So in Wonder Woman's Injustice 2 ending she slaughters her Amazon sisters for imprisoning her

Can you say "worst DC Earth"? #BrainiacWasRight

COOL FUCKING GAME, NETHERREALM

So the story with this comic.

In 1985, Crisis on Infinite Earths came out, and following that Superman and Flash got big relaunches.

Wonder Woman would get one too, and that eventually became Perez's run.

But Perez was taking a long time and wouldn't be finished until 1987.

Thing is, back then DC didn't fully own the rights to Wonder Woman, and if they didn't publish four issues a year of a book with her name in it, they would lose those rights.

So since they didn't want to jeopardize Perez's book by continuing the first volume, Busiek was picked to buy them some time with this four issue miniseries.

Now I've never read this, but my understanding is that it's essentially a sendoff of the pre-Crisis Wonder Woman in the same vain as Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow.

It's funny, because I was looking at the endings in alphabetical order, meaning Diana was last, and I actually really liked some of them:
Captain Cold redeems himself after taking care of the Regime and becomes a hero alongside Flash
Flash meets up with other speedsters like Jay and Jesse, and finds out a Crisis is coming
Green Arrow joins Justice Incarnate
Brainiac is actually Brainiac 5 come to take care of his ancestor so the people of the 31st Century wouldn't fear Coluans. Even the fucking founders make a cameo

But Wondie's ending? Jesus. Then again, this is Wonder McBeth we're talking about here, so I'm not sure what I expected.

I am Sorry Texan for posting a image.

Those are some pretty cool endings, actually.
>Brainiac spoiler
WHAT!!!

It's cool, just four issues. What am I looking at in that image?

Convergence. Telos destroying Injustice earth. The main book may suck but has his moments.

Atomia will be DLC in Injustice, right?

I'm not sure if this is Earth One or Two

Yeah, it's actually pretty clever since you use Brainiac to fight Brainiac in the Arcade mode, so that's a really nice way of explaining how that's possible in the first place.

I'm such a sucker for LOSH that that makes me almost wanna get the game when it comes to PC.

Not a great digital coloring job on this desu

Where were you when Superman/Wonder Woman was kill?

Laughing maniacally, alone, in the dark

The Mental Radio would be an interesting thing to bring back. It basically serves the purpose of cell phones, but I imagine Paradise Island gets pretty bad cell reception.

No current cell carriers offer interdimensional coverage, sadly.

Here's a neat little article with the artist of this series, Trina Robbins:
vancouversun.com/news/staff-blogs/trina-robbins-wonder-woman-comics

>Trina prefers the title "herstorian"
lol

But also Robbins was the co-founder of Wimmen's Comix which is a really important underground comix magazine.

Robert Crumb's eventual wife wrote for Wimmen's Comix, and this apparently caused a lot of tumult with Robbins.

Anyway, the story of Wimmen's Comix is pretty interesting, if you wanna check it out some time.

Whoah, what the hell??, at least say it's Injustice 2 spoilers in a non-Injustice 2 storytime thread. It's like 2pm, there's no way I can play the game right now

Atomia reminds me a lot of Circe. I doubt Perez took influence from this but it's a bit uncanny.

Also a bit like Rita Repulsa

lolwut, I tagged the spoilers, I don't know what else you want

Whoa, Trina "Vampirella" Robbins?

Yep!

Don't you love little bratty characters?

Steve of Murder

These backgrounds are blinding me

Its earth one. Blonde mom, dead girl stature.

Forgot about the blonde thing.

Circe already had a red hair earth one version

I knew the one from the original Superman Revenge Squad story but yep there was a Wonder Woman related one as well

Her brattiness, cured by the power of story!

>here Wonder Woman take a hit of this shit

Don't forget, kids. Trina is still around and productive!

I wonder what her thoughts on that revamped Vampirella were.

You know, this story seems less like THE Legend of Wonder Woman and more like A Legend of Wonder Woman

>just picks up a piece of the floor and chucks it
What a strategic fighter.

I remember perzez turned the braclets into shiney silver instead of black.

Remained that way with every reboot and retelling.

Honestly this is like if they just took what would have originally been a single issue Golden Age story and just stretched it out needlessly into four issues.

The bigger silver bracelets indeed were an inspired choice.

Susie represents every little girl who picked up a comic book and became fascinated with stories.

Or something like that.

Wait these ladies weren't yellow in the last issue. Racism?

Lemme guess, Steve has cancer

"The Steve Ditko Hills"

This was actually one of Busiek's very first gigs after a back-up in Green Lantern and a very short stint in Power Man and Iron Fist, so yeah, it's pretty amateurish, but for good reason.

Coincidentally he was just yesterday talking about his break into the industry on Twitter

>particals

Radiation poisoning seems a bit heavy for a story like this, but then again that's basically what Kryptonite is

This is exactly how atoms work, yes, exactly

Sick of this bitch's shit

Diana: "lol thats scrub talk"

>kanga cavalry
IT'S TIME

>that Brainiac spoiler
First thing that's made me want to play Injustice.

That little girl is SUPER gay.

One of his first works would have been a Final Fantasy comic with Mike Mignola on covers that was cancelled. I wonder how different things would be if that had come out.

So this is gonna be where Diana splits an atom with her big stupid sword, right?

Pfft, even the Amazons haven't mastered Shehai Shen She Ru.

Holy shit, I want that. That would have had to have been before the first game even came out in Japan

Wait but it was Earth-Two Wonder Woman who died in Crisis, but this is clearly Earth-One

>ywn ride a kanga

Also not sure why Perez didn't have kangas in his Wonder Woman when they were so cool in that arc of New Teen Titans where Starfire played in the Amazon games.

This girl, lmao

>That would have had to have been before the first game even came out in Japan
Nah. It was going to be FFIV based I think.

Nah, it was Earth-One. Earth-Two Wondy went missing and then made a cameo in Infinite Crisis.

It was definitely Earth-Two, because there's the famous picture of Earth-Two Superman holding her body.

She was a ghost in IC, she gave up her spot on Olympus to talk to Wonder Woman.

So looking it up, this IS meant to be Earth-Two/Golden Age Wonder Woman, but Busiek and Robbins were told to use the modern day costume for some reason.

Even though this clearly is full of Earth-One stuff.

Busiek said errors are justified because "it's a legend and doesn't fit anywhere into continuity"

Which sounds to me like a more complicated way of saying "whoops"