Let's be honest: this season is underwhelming

Let's be honest: this season is underwhelming.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ppMe1I0xVo8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

But it started off really strong.

Yeah, I don't think anyone disagrees at this point.

Speak for yourself.

Nah, let's be honest, you're just an entitled piece of shit who thinks he's better storytelling than actual talented professionals.

How was the guardian supposed to defeat Aku exactly?

Literally only the OP god-forged sword can hurt him.

Also that's part of the point of the series.

You get your hopes up to have them get crushed by Aku just as Jack's was.

I've enjoyed the season so far

The last episode was better than the last few and the first 3 were great

Hopefully the ending is better than I expect it to be

I'll be honest that I have no complaints about The Guardian being presumely dead.

I mean, he guarded the time portal, Aku said explicitly that he eradicated all the time portals existing, so of course The Guardian would be defeated. Aku can kill anyone by a simple laser blast.

Same but I haven't enjoyed it.

How do you know I am not a professional storyteller? It's better to talk shit about people when you are anonymous.

I disagree

You know, I already miss Scaramouche.

He could have been some generic mook that was just there to get the message to Aku, but he stole the show every scene he was in.

I disagree.

Honestly I never was super attached to the Guardian anyway. It was a cool fight and a cool episode, but I dunno why its open end gets more attention than, say, the Aku Infection one (which is way better) or Jump Good.

I'm not convinced the prophecy isn't going to be fulfilled anyway, and that it was never about that specific portal. Could be Ashi chucks Jack back to the past, we get a fake-out downer ending, and the real ending is Old King Jack returning to the future, having wandered the globe for a way forward in time again.

>How was the guardian supposed to defeat Aku exactly?
>Literally only the OP god-forged sword can hurt him.

The only case I can think of where we see Aku actually get beaten by some other being is the gangster Jack episode, and that one is honestly awful and full of holes besides Jack looking absurdly good in a pinstripe suit.

Season 5 drove home the point that Aku eats armies for breakfast without flexing any real effort. I figure the Guardian just was no match, especially without the sword.

penis lmao

Jump Good is a horrible episode though, I mean seriously
>that ending

Love you too, babe.

Its about the same level of the original series, i dont know where the fuck the "best cartoon ever done" meme came from.
I will concede that chapter 1-3 were fucking amazing outliners.

Underwelming? It's been fucking shit. Everything thats happened thus far could of been fit into one episode. This season is nothing more than a bad fanfiction and the only episode that matters is the last one.

Samurai Jack was just a very, very well executed cartoon that knew what it wanted to do and did that exactly, with panache and good humor and only a few missteps. The characters were simple but likeable broad sketches. Aku is still one of the best cartoon baddies ever. And the voice work was always superb.

The part that I liked best about this season was shitposting in real time on Sup Forums while watching the new episodes. It's been something fun to look forward to all week

These threads are fucking pointless.

Whatever genuine criticism, or comments that isn't sucking Genndy off is "handwaved" as bait and seen as trolling. The way the story has been going I'm nearly completely uninterested in what happens. Ashi dies? Jack may go back to the past? or maybe a happily ever after. I simply do not care enough : neither to I care enough to explain over and over again why this season has been completely underwhelming to a bunch of people who think S5 has been "10/10 KINO".

I will say one thing though, it is undeniable that the way Ashi has been handled as really hurt the episodes. Her character isn't bad, but the writing has come off as completely amateurish and cliche. Sadly like I said previously, there's no reason to carry a conversation with those who think this season has been "perfect". I've seen better stories pulled off in less episodes.

We were all just riding the high from the godlike first 3 episodes

I disagree as well. I feel way more emotionally invested in this season than I was in the previous ones.

This, it's not even a matter of people being blind to it's flaws, they just don't want to see them. And I don't get it either, Sup Forums is usually really rough on cartoons, but SJ just got a pass on being style over substance and having poor execution for no reason.

2 > 1 > 3 > 8 > 9 > 7 > 4 > 6 > 5

Each season's best episode, ranked:

1. Jack and the Three Blind Archers
5. XCIII (Episode 2)
2. Jack and the Ultra-robots
4. Jack vs. Aku
3. The Birth of Evil Pt. 2

Yes, but there are reasons for it.

It's rushed. They should have had more episodes if they were going to tell this kind of story. It's also shifted from the original format. Instead of self contained stories in usually single episodes, it's continuous. This brings in much more dialogue and it feels off when compared to the original run, especially when you consider the short run we got. The music also isn't the same at all. Whoever they have composing it doesn't 'get it' as much as the original guy.

The look and feel is also obviously different and I'm mixed on it. It doesn't look bad but it's very different. I prefer the original designs, personally, but this also brings in the more mature tone the show is going for, and I understand why, but when put beside the tones of the older seasons, it's just different. The whole season is just a large shift from the first four, and they try really hard to recapture stuff from before but I think it all just clashes with it too much to truly emulate it. It's still the best thing on as right now though, and I'm looking forward to whatever Genndy does for the network next.

It certainly doesn't help that most people trying to criticize the show are using their opinions on what's good and where the story should go as arguments instead of tackling the real weak points of the season.

>SJ just got a pass on being style over substance
This was always the case and nobody ever pretended otherwise

I just wanted to see the fight. I don't care if the Guardian lost.

It's *how* he lost, that I want to see.

>It certainly doesn't help that most people trying to criticize the show are using their opinions on what's good and where the story should go as arguments instead of tackling the real weak points of the season
Not really, things like pacing or shitty character development aren't "opinions", they are facts, just because you refuse to see them it doesn't mean it's true or it's good.
>This was always the case
Wrong? The original more often than not tried to do both, this new season disregards the original's writing in order to make place for a shoehorned romance that they clearly couldn't write in 10 episodes, they wanted to have a conclusion where Jack finds a romance interest but didn't take any effort into making it.

>Everything thats happened thus far could of been fit into one episode.

I've seen a lot of retarded criticism of SJ season five and this is by far the most retarded one I've seen yet.

let's be honest. kill yourself you autistic waifufag

Probably a battle of attrition. He CAN'T hurt Aku so eventually Aku would have won. The actual killing blow would probably be very anti-climactic at that. Aku waiting until the Guardian was too exhausted to move much and then just blasting him with eye beams. Or something like that. Logic dictates that the Guardian probably has limits of that nature. But actually seeing them would be demeaning to the character. That's why this battle is best implied and not actually scene. Some of the magic would be lost. What probably happened is logical and reasonable but also very underwhelming and depressing. Like a somewhat older child finding out magic isn't actually real. It makes sense, but you're still bummed.

Why are people so obsessed about this blue nigger anyways?

I disagree. I'll probably agree after the last episode though.

Have you seen the episode?

>can't come up with a better comeback
>resort to calling him waifu fag
Embarrassing

Yeah I did. So what?

why would i bother coming up with a better comeback to some autist who thinks professional storytellers can't fuck up?

The fuck.

Magic's not real?!

MY ENTIRE LIFE IS A LIE

Disagree

Smug Aku in episode 9 gives me life

Well, different strokes for different folks I guess. But a lot of people 1). Loved the fight and 2). Were pumped with the ending that implied an older, bearded Jack would finally be worthy of using the portal. Then we get a continuation of the series that features an older(looking) and bearded Jack. A lot of people were excited at the prospect of a rematch and having an ending that would bridge the original broadcast with the finale season produced over a decade later. If you didn't get involved in that hype, then yes, you probably don't care at all.

So you admit that thinking takes effort for you?

I mean I can like something and still find it underwhelming.

I love Aku and last episode was great, mainly because of him, but considering how little he has appeared then I would indeed call this season underwhelming

Let's be honest, that's probably just your TWORE anus speaking

>Probably a battle of attrition
Not even that. The only reason aku doesn't squish jack like he did the scotsman army is the sword. You see in the cemetery fight that without its protection jack is powerless despite all of his skill. Now consider that the guardian can't even try to evade aku because he has to protect the time portal.

I like the way you explained it, I pretty much agree with it. Also, nowadays the board would become filled out with the frame in which the guardian is actually killed just the same way it will happen next week when Aku dies

I personally feel like the reason Aku is so great is because he's a looming threat that has such little screen time.

We've seen what happens when characters that're meant to be on the side get put in the spotlight (Cleveland Show, Planet Sheen...)

Being a professional doesn't mean you're talented Much less talented at everything.
Being a great animator doesn't mean you're going to be a great writer..

>The music also isn't the same at all. Whoever they have composing it doesn't 'get it' as much as the original guy.

Second episode had some fucking great music at least.

Shut up about this already, jesus christ

EXTRA
SMUGG

This is a bad argument, there's plenty Aku centric episodes in SJ and he never got tiresome, I'm not saying turn SJ into "Aku's show" but the screentime he got this season is too fucking small.

Ashi, now THAT's a character I could use less of.

"Only ONE MAN has been prophesied to defeat me, and that MAN is the ONLY MAN who can use this time passage"

"And YOU, my man, AIN'T that man."

youtu.be/ppMe1I0xVo8

>"You can't use it yet, Samurai Jack. Not yet....Not yet."

>can't come up with a better comeback
>resort to calling him dumb
Embarrassing

Aku's screen time was short because his new voice actor is so fucking awful that Genndy was proabbly too embarrassed to give him more time.

There are three possibilities.

1. Old King Jack doesn't happen and is retconned
2. They cram the last episode with some forced shit like Jack getting old super fast after killing Aku
3. The end is ambiguous and we never see Jack actually going back to the past or anything

None of these possibilities are particularly nice.

the liveposting for 2 and 3 were fucking hype

>tfw I'm the only one who noticed Jack only killed 5 of the daughters

>Final episode

>Aku is triumphantly holding Jack's sword over his foe

suddenly, a bloodied, massive figure in shredded rags leaps from the rubble and slaps the sword from Aku's hand

the figure lands and straightens up

"I ain't that easy to kill."

that would be fucking fanfic-tier

I disagree.
I just think some faggots are just bitchy that their cult favorite character didn't get an entire episode devoted to them

Or maybe you where just expecting too much?
I don't get this idea that shit wasn't developed enough and that they needed more time to set stuff up.
The original series told the same types of stories in only one episode each, while we get 10 whole episodes to tell them here. If anything, it's being drawn out too much.
Also, why the fuck are people complaining about the romance? I constantly see peoples say that they didn't have enough time to set it up, but they managed to do the exact same shit in one episode of the original series, and everyone fucking loves that episode, it's just that this time the girl isn't literally Aku himself.
I was just hoping for a conclusion to the series, and they decided to give me 9 extra episodes to build up to it, instead of just being Jack dealing with Aku. Why the fuck are people so mad about that? Is it just because it didn't go exactly like you wanted it to? The series has been so hyped over the years that no matter what they had done to finish it, you faggots would have complained.

His appearances are proportioned to how much he used to appear in the first four seasons. As you surely recall, Aku wasn't present in most episodes.
For examplem in season 2 he appeared in 5 episodes, in season 3 in 4 episodes and in season 4 another 4, unless you count his non speaking role in Tale of X-9. The season that had the most Aku was the first season, with 9 episodes.

>Or maybe you where just expecting too much?
The first 3 episodes were pure kino, people are disappointed because the rest wasn't as great.

He said man; no mention of eldritch abominations here. Of all mean only Jack could have beaten him.

>The relationship with Ashi is bad because it's rushed
>Give Ashi less screen time

What did Sup Forums mean by this?

And did we really need more time for depressed Aku to mope around?

>mean
I mean men.

I get that. I personally liked those the best too, but this whole shit about how Genndy is a hack, and the whole show is ruined, is fucking bullshit.

I think people just like to let their rose-colored lenses get in the way of a good season. Is it perfect? No, but it's pretty damn good and better than a lot of show revivals/continuations/reboots can say. Hell, there are a lot of amazing shows that never got that second chance at all. Of course it's not gonna live up to thirteen years of hype from people who literally grew up watching it. I'm just glad the episodes are solid and the story gets to end.

Basically this

Meanwhile in Season 5 we have:

E1: A brief appearance on the phone.
E2: An extended appearance in his citadel, battling depression and dealing with annoying business.
E5: An extended appearance in and around his citadel, fighting rebels.
E6: A brief phone call with Scaramouche.
E7: An extended flashback where he foiled Jack and goaded him into murder.
E9: An extended appearance in his citadel and at Jack's side, where he was in full form.
E10: The final confrontation.

That's 7 out of 10 episodes, 5 if you discount his phone-only appearances.

Except godly beings who he usually gets his shit kicked in by. Remember the Elementals from the water crystal god thing?

Aku sucks against other magical entities, and what the fuck isn't magical about the Guardian?
>Apparently thousands upon thousands of years old
>Practically invincible
>Peerless fighter
>Can eat fucking metal

If Jack couldn't beat Guardian Aku should have got his shit kicked in

so long as he's too beat up to directly fight Aku, using the last bit of his strength to take Jack's sword then conceding "defeat" at the hands of Jack in order to fulfill the prophecy I'm all for this

I mean you really cannot use that as an argument considering this season has an overarching plot and it's whole premise it's to put to rest the "kill Aku" mission Jack had. I get that the premise it's also having an old and tired Jack but that wasn't well done either. As it stands right now I would've prefered a more episodic season with a couple of Aku episodes than one long episode with little Aku on it.

I feel like we've seen and he has done so little that the final fight just feels underwhelming already. Like why the fuck should anyone care that Aku is the evil ruler of the world if he's depressed the whole time? It seems like he isn't doing anything anymore so why act like he's such a big deal?

>If Jack couldn't beat Guardian Aku should have got his shit kicked in
By what? At the end of the day the Guardian has nothing that can harm Aku. No holy weapons or magic of his own. He can be the best fighter ever but if he can't hurt Aku he'll lose every time.

So you admit that he does show up much more in season 5 than people credit him for.

>IT WOULD BE A SHAAAME, SAMURAI, IF SOMEONE WERE TO TAKE YET ANOTHER THING FROM YOU THAT YOU LOVE. BUT DON'T WORRY, SAMURAI, YOU'LL HAVE PLENTY OF TIME TOGETHER IN THE PIT OF HATE!

The guy was guarding a magical time portal, and his weapons went blow to blow with Jack's magical sword. What makes you think he wouldn't have any owned any magical weapons?

Who knows... we might see a cameo of the Guardian next episode when all of Jack's allies rally up to help him beat Aku.

YOU BROKE MY FAVORITE GLASSES BITCH

I'm agreeing with you. There's been quite the right amount of Aku.

If he had any he would have used them on Jack, and Jack's sword clashes with mundane weapons all the time without them breaking.

Yeah. The longer a mundane weapon faces Jack's sword, the more likely it is to get broken, but he still has specific techniques if he wants to reliably break a weapon in one stroke (he tries and fails to use this on the Scotsman's rune blade).

You can
>Introduce a new character into the plot and develop her well, have her with the character and interact with him and develop their relationship, a feat hardly possible in 10 episodes
or
>have a new character that is non-intrusive to the plot yet have her developed enough so that she will be important yet not essential, this way you can focus on the story without having her ham fisted for development every single one of the 10 (ten) episodes

And Genndy did it all wrong, he didn't have time yet wanted to have her as a main protagonist despite of her being a new character, she just HAD to be integral to the plot, but he couldn't write her, develop her, develop her relationship with Jack, her relationship to Aku and the cult and of course have enough time so Jack and Aku had interesting developments of their own.

Hell, he killed the Scotsman in episode 6 and never mentioned him again until the finale.

did we really need a whole episode for old character cameos?
did we really need a whole episode for sex?

10 episodes and it still had filler
no more seasons
just 10 episodes
nothing more
with filler

>I feel like we've seen and he has done so little that the final fight just feels underwhelming already. Like why the fuck should anyone care that Aku is the evil ruler of the world if he's depressed the whole time? It seems like he isn't doing anything anymore so why act like he's such a big deal?
You see, with this I disagree strongly. This season he has committed some of the most heinous acts we've ever seen him do and much more intense than anything in the previous seasons. Massacring an entire army on his own, destroying all the time portals, goading Jack into getting his hands dirty with the blood of innocents, corrupting Ashi and stealing the sword once more.
Also, he's depressed because he couldn't fight Jack anymore. He can now, he's back to 100%.
And still, episode 5 was a pretty clear indication of why he's a big deal. His government keeps working without him. Criminals keep coming and being sent to destroy villages, the world has not healed yet from the carnage he has inflicted upon it and any attempt to fight him will end in a colossal failure.

>If he had any he would have used them on Jack
And how do we know he didn't? Outside of its effectiveness on Aku you have no indication Jack's sword is magic, it looks like just a regular blade. None of the Guardian's weapons show any more signs of magic than Jack's blade usually does (outside of that one time he prayed to power it up)

Who the fuck cares about the guardian, seriously?

You can have all the magic weapons you want; they are still nothing compared to Jack's sword, in-universe words, "the only thing in the entire universe that can destroy Aku".

The time portals were destroyed years, potentially decades ago. The Scotsman attacked Aku first and despite of Aku giving his hand semen to the cult he really didn't order them to kill Jack or anything, he really didn't do it nor expected it to happen.

If anything you just proved that Aku is not going to do shit unless you bother him at this point, leaving the rest of the world to shit itself while he mops about Jack, but he himself isn't doing anything.

>episode 5

>"the only thing in the entire universe that can destroy Aku"
>what are the gods that almost killed him before

People with autism.

5, right, sorry.

They're gods who don't seem to want to take a personal hand, and have ignored any appeals to intervene.

I want a coat like this.

True fans of the series wanted to see the guardian. Ashi is just some random slut that we don't care about. She was a waste of 9 episodes, taking up all the screen time only to be used as a shitty plot device. If you aren't pissed about the guardian getting effectively retconned, you're just a cancer waifufag - also the probable target audience that adult swim wanted and forced genndy to write for.

And what did he use to do in the original seasons aside from receiving people in his castle, sitting in his throne, sending people after Jack and once in a while confronting him himself? As X-9 put it, Aku is a lazy bastard. He had robotic armies built to take over the world for him when he could have done it no problem just because it was taking too long of his literally infinite lifetime. Aku's been doing in season 5 the same things he did from 1 to 4.