Babylon 5

How come no one ever told me about this show?
It's amazing. What are your favorite parts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JJjbDFSHh1Q
youtube.com/watch?v=iWUGjx-cd58
imdb.com/list/ls056207990/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bad acting, bad sets, bad cgi, cliched plot, annoying characters. and yet i still watched it.

The boxing episode was space rocky kino

>bad acting
Gkar motherfucker

>bad acting
I don't know what you are talking about. These actors have way more acting skill than most people they put in actual movies these days.

>bad sets
Honestly I don't see anything wrong with them

>Bad cgi
yea that one is true, but that's just because of it's age.

Him and Londo with his transylvanian (?) accent hamming it up were the only bright spots acting wise desu.

Did you buy the DVDs or did you torrent?
Want to rewatch,not sure how to go about it

The best part is how most of it was written beforehand. Everything good about it comes from this. Little events become significant much later, characters have arcs that span multiple seasons, main characters can disappear from the show, noone is safe.

The single best part is 'I'd look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like this'

I feel so bad for G'kar

forgot pic

>it's an Londo and Vir singing Centauri opera episode

Dvds. They aren't that expensive.

Will look into it, thanks for noticing me,senpai

Yea I was really disappointed when Sinclair left. I figured they had just replaced him. But his story later on was pleasantly surprising.

It's a great show but the last season is trash except for a small handful of episodes and most of the movies are pretty bad. One of the best Star Trek series ever aired, right up there with TNG and DS9

>Yea I was really disappointed when Sinclair left. I figured they had just replaced him.

The replacement wasn't supposed to happen so early, it only did because of his mental health.

>As Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski describes it,[2][3][4] during the filming of the first season of Babylon 5, O'Hare began having paranoid delusions. Halfway through filming, his hallucinations worsened. It became increasingly difficult for O'Hare to continue working, his behavior was becoming increasingly erratic, and he was often at odds with his colleagues. Straczynski offered to suspend the show for several months to accommodate treatment; however O'Hare feared that such a hiatus would put the series at risk, and he didn't want to jeopardize others' jobs. Straczynski agreed to keep O'Hare's condition secret to protect his career, and O'Hare agreed to complete the first season, but would be written out of the second season so that he could seek treatment. His departure from the cast was announced without explanation, except that it was mutual and amicable.[5][6]

>His treatments were only partially successful. He reappeared in a cameo appearance early in season two ("The Coming of Shadows") and returned in season three for a double episode ("War Without End") which closed his character's story arc. At that time, Straczynski promised to keep O'Hare's condition secret to his grave. O'Hare told him to instead "keep the secret to my grave", pointing out that fans deserved to eventually learn the real reason for his departure, and that his experience could raise awareness and understanding for people suffering from mental illness. He made no further appearances on Babylon 5.

oh man that's too bad, poor guy. I thought he was great as Sinclair. Sheridan is ok but I kept hoping Sinclair was coming back eventually.

few series I've seen have made the actions of the characters matter so much like this one.

RIP deadly cat woman

It's always nice to see a B5 thread

And now in high res.

>time is creeping in on the edges of that pic
;_;

the thumbnail of your pic makes it look like they're firing the bald bitch out of a giant cannon.

>they had cuck memes in the 90's too

Did they ever redo the terrible CGI of the first seasons? I saw a couple of clips of the show a while back and the CGI hasn't aged well at all.

please kill yourself kid

5/12 of these people are dead IRL. I don't even think original Trek has lost that many of the main cast.

>sheridan when bester boards the station

This show deserves all of Star Trek's praise

No, they haven't.

He's not wrong, you know. You can still love the show, while admitting it looks really, really dated. Hell, it looked bad at the time of release as well.

ESPers and anything to do with Ancients.

It was the first t.v. show to use cgi. I think we can give them a little leeway.

*dooooooom*
*shot of space station*

NO IT WASNT YOU FUCKING IDIOT GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT

The good guys don't always win, the good guy's morals are not always right, shit goes south quickly despite Herculean effort to do right - everything TNG would never do!

Yea the first ones were awesome.

I first saw the series when it originally came out, kid. It was great back then, but the effects haven't really stood time at all.

Anything with Sheridan.

It's a fun watch with some friends, one who is a big nerd about it, there is plenty to laugh at with shoddy FX and cheesy acting but overall it is damn good show. It doesn't smother you with cheese and preaching.

straighten them out please.

Drahk were badass too.
>me during a bout of anxiety
youtube.com/watch?v=JJjbDFSHh1Q

I don't give a fuck if looks old. youngfags who think everything has to be updated or remade are fucking human garbage.

Agreed. I don't see anything wrong with the cgi, sure it doesn't look real, but that's what your imagination is for.

>You will never nuke your problems away.

>Did they ever redo the terrible CGI of the first seasons?
1. It was early CG
2. No, because if WB shelled out the $$ to redo the CG, we'd finally get B5 on BR.

>later that day, user visits a prequel thread
>WHAT PS2 GAME IS THIS HAHAHAHAHA

I disagree about the last season
it starts off slow then picks up. Poor Londo

>make a great 10/10 show
>last season is 6/10
>crusade tv is 3/10
>those B5 extra episodes made 10 years later are boring meh 4/10

I just finished the series a few nights ago and was saddened to find out quite a few of the cast members have pasted on. It's not that old of a show.

I marathoned the entire series last year and the CGI didn't bother me in the slightest. I think it gets an eternal free pass just on the basis of how solid the design work behind it is, everything from the ships to the shadows are flat-out stellar design-wise.

They'll never, ever pay to do that. Even a half-assed job would cost millions of dollars and there's no way sales to a niche community like B5 fans would cover it. Think of how little B5 merchandise in general there is compared to Star Trek, etc.

It was just a joke.

The guy with the half moon hairdo always made me not want to watch this. Dude is uggo as fuck and I don't want to see him.

He's actually the joint best character in the entire series.

He's gross looking.

You should see his genitalia

the space jews usually are

those at the type of retarded like cunts I can't stand. Disgusting little pieces of shit that can't stand that stuff existed before they did.

Are you a 90's born queer or a hole?

>bad cgi

All the CGI work was done with Amigas and NewTek VideoToaster technology, some of the best ever created.

FUCK YOU, BLASPHEMER, FOR INSULTING AMIGAS

I am between watching this or DS9 and i cant decide, i dont have time for both sadly.

>that metaphor MEEESTA GARRRIBALDI says about Londo being stuck on a runaway horse and being too terrified to let go

Also:

>He PLAYED ME.......HE PLAAAAYED ME LIKE A PUPPET

And:

>What are ya gonna do Mollari, huh. Blow up the island?
>Actually.........now that you mention it.......

Fucking great character and acting.

Both are great shows
B5 is darker and uh realistic?
In DS9 you always know shit will solve itself somehow.

DS9 is good but overrated and unironically ripped off wholesale from an early B5 story bible Paramount retained.

B5 is fantastic barring the first half of the final season, and is hugely underrated.

*poisons your drink*

but you do have time to shit post on Sup Forums

>My only hope, is when it is my time, I may die with HALF as much dignity as they had at the end

Tick Tock

How much sperm did I donate to Claudia Christian's Playboy photos?

One thing for B5 fans if they havnt seen it is the 2014 or 13 Comic-Con B5 get together, and Tracy Scoggins is teary eyed and talks about Jeff Conaways drug issues and how he wasn't like how he was portrayed in interviews and was a really amazing guy. It's very very heartbreaking to watch.

The part about Claudia Christian's edible panties was also very enjoyable.

uhh what where what now?

>Marcus Cole literally hasn't aged and just has grey hair
>dat accent

Google Claudia Christian and Xhamster.

>mfw Garibaldi talking about how much of a tightarse GKar was
>that fucking ham

Yeah. Jerry Doyle was the coolest guy on the panel along with JMS. Everyone else were a bit douche-like or has been-ish who were a bit too into it. I love hearing stories from what was happening on set. I was a kid watching this so getting a window into the world of grown ups in that way is fascinating. I also like wrestling stories from the 90's from the guys who were there.

kek that was gold.

Wonder how many of these guys are still alive? I know the doctor,Gkar and Garibaldi are dead, also londo.

Ship design, shot composition, light, color... Look past the technical limitations for the time, and it's better than anything being made right now.
Even lets us see what's actually happening without fake shakycam and cutting every half second.

Jerry Doyle has always been a giant bro. He gets told.off for swearing a bit too much and just blows it off and says hes just relaxing and going with it. Also hearing about the early days of sci fi from Bill Mumy was interesting too.

MISTER GARIBALDI!

>What are your favorite parts?
This
youtube.com/watch?v=iWUGjx-cd58

>and the CGI didn't bother me in the slightest.

This. Personally I still thinking looks fucking great and has ages well. Specifically in Severed Dreams and THAT shot when that BASED AS FUCK Vree Saucer opens up

>YOU KNEW THIS WAS COMING THE WHOLE TIME DIDNT YOU

Many keks were had

>If this is they way it has to be Chief, don't make a scene.
>Who me? Make a scene? What are you nuts! *flips table*
>mfw

>bad acting

It starts bad but gets better. Most of the actors hadn't played main characters in a TV show before, they'd done stage work, adverts, played the killer in Murder She Wrote. Shit like that. They didn't have the budget for big names so they gambled and it mostly paid off.

>bad sets, bad cgi

It was the 90's and they had fuck all money. These are the least important aspects of a TV show anyway and if you can't get past them then you are top tier pleb.

>cliched plot

This is just a straight up lie. B5 season one is pretty standard and cliche but it's laying the groundwork and easing you in. You sit there and think "Oh, ok this is pretty standard space adventure of the week like Star Trek. Cool." but then season two rolls around and starts to subvert everything. By the end of season four it's like nothing else before or since. We don't talk about season five.

>annoying characters

Thats your opinion which we've established isn't worth much.

JMS has said in interviews that some of the stuff Garibaldi said was based on things Jerry Doyle said in between takes. Some are even direct quotes.

Fairly certain that needing electric bleachers rather than electric chairs is a direct quote.

my favourite TV show, user. great thread.
would unironically love to see a good remake

imdb.com/list/ls056207990/

sad story. i didn't know that
sinclair/valen was one of the best character, and o'hare played him perfectly.

how are the centauri 'space jews'?
they are more like the former prussian empire

>“My first season of Babylon 5 working with Michael O’Hare, he’s a whack-job a complete lunatic. He flies out from New York, he gets the gig, we’re doing our rehearsels he says to me one day “Uh can you give me a ride out the the set?” yeah sure! “Wanna stop and have breakfeast?” yeah good! He gets in the car and he’s playing with the buttons in my car trying to turn the radio off and I’m like what are you doing? And he goes “I don’t want any sound” and I go well why dont you just ask me to turn it off? And he goes “I dont want to talk today!” And I say well why do you want to go to breakfeast and he goes “you talk, I’ll listen!” so obviously we hurry through breakfeast, we go out to the set and I realise I’m dealing with a complete nut-job here."

no contest, user.
B5 is one of the best shows ever made
DS9 isn't even the best ST show.

>The CGI is awful!

That's where you're wrong, kiddo - in retrospect, it's a great amusement, and actually becomes a reason to watch.

it was a damn good show. writing was good, cgi for the time was awesome, the actors weren't messing around and portrayed their characters with flair. up there with Firefly in terms of good sci-fi sceries.

>After we finished that first Friday night we go to this bar in Santa Clarita and I’m off in one corner talking to this actress Pat Tallman..just chatting her up having drinks we just got done shooting. He comes over and sits between us and I go oh ok…he was number 1 on the call sheet, he was the lead. He was the guy that got all the media interviews..because he was the lead on the show, and the face and voice on Babylon 5. So he’s chatting her up and I’m like “Oh..ok..I’ll just talk to the bartender here…” and order 3 more drinks. He turns around, looks at the 3 drinks and says “What is that?” and I say “umm…I’m buying a round..”, and he says “Dont try to control me!!” and I went “oh..o…k…” this guy is a complete lunatic!