Official NYE LOTR Lore thread

These are always so damned comfy.
Let's start with considering whether Saruman would have been more powerful than Sauron if he gained possession of the ring.

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/file/d/0B9lG2t3DwffkLXFRa2MtM1RreGM/view?usp=sharing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

That's not how you start a lotr thread tho

Lets not be pedantic. It's just about getting discussion going. By the 6th one this OP will be meaningless.

You really don't know anything about middle earth do you?

Hell yeah Saruman with a ring would have BTFO'd ringless Sauron. So would have Gandalf, Radegast or Galadriel.

>tfw LOTR was barely touched in comparison to how star wars was ruined

Not really sure about that desu.
Radagast not a chance, simply doesn't have the initial drive.
Galadriel, Gandalf or Saruman would be interesting as they would essentially absorb one of the most powerful Maiar's power unto themselves whereas Sauron is only really regaining his power by having the ring returned to him.

just wait for the amazon show

Surely they won't tamper with Middle Earth too much.

>Radagast not a chance, simply doesn't have the initial drive.

He'd be like Sam on steroids and turn whole of ME into a nature preserve. His direbunnies would gnaw Sauron's citadel to bits.

Yes but because the essence of Sauron is bound to the ring and he could not be destroyed while the ring exists, Sauron would always win the long game.

I imagine after a time even Saruman would become something akin to a very powerful ringwraith, subservient to the will of Sauron.

How badly do I need to purchase the extended trilogy? Never seen it. Own the theatricals on DVD and BR.

How about we all estimate the size of Ancalagon the Black?

His slave forever

very badly

Definitely get it. Up to you which format though.

>big enough to destroy three volcanoes by falling on them

I estimate big as fuck

>wears an ivory gown
>chad
hmmm

>Caring what others think of his fashion choices
>Chad

Just picked up the Silmarillion, heard it was kinda a slog to get through. Is that true or just a pleb meme?

Not really. It's written in a epoch style in parts that may be hard to get through if you can't read shit like Bible, Eddas or Kalevala, but parts of it are pretty normal.

>not caring what others think of his fashion choices
>Chad

wew lad

Good to hear

>Not realising Chad is who defines fashion choices by what he chooses to wear and what he chooses to ignore
Have fun following others to decide what to wear for the rest of your life.

Have you ever read the bible? If so then you have some idea of what the Silmarillion is like. It's the history of Middle Earth from the perspective of the Elves, basically, a detailing of their most legendary figures and the great deeds of their people. Some of the most incredible shit Tolkien ever came up with is from the Silmarillion. I never had much appreciation for the Elves until I read it, it puts everything you see in LotR into an entirely new light. I'd also recommend reading Children of Hurin, it's set in the First Age during the tragic war of the Noldor against Morgoth.

If you can appreciate the grand sweep of history told in the style of the epics of old, then you'll enjoy it immensely.

go to a club and see how chads are all dressed alike

Tbh it was downright stupid of the valar to not only send a maia of Aule to fight against Sauron, but to make him thr fucking leader. I mean, it's not surprise that Saruman was corrupted by the ring despite the fact that he was never anywhere close to it. The maiar of Aule have an affinity for smithing and appreciate good craftsmanship and, aside from the silmarils, the ring was arguably the most impressive object that was ever crafted. It makes sense that Saruman, once he learned of its existence, would want to possess it.

>He thinks everyone at a club is Chad

They hoped his insights into the craft of the ring would make him suited to devising its destruction and how best to resist it. They obviously overestimated his will. Or underestimated the power of the ring.

Could Feanor take Sauron?

It wasn't the power of the ring that corrupted him, though, as he was never in close to proximity. It was the very nature of its existence and the feat of craftsmanship it took to forge it that made him crave it. It really was a "GIBS ME DAT" sort of reaction.

Was the Heart of the Mountain part of Silmaril?

He was killed by Gothmog so no.

Alright Sup Forums, You must decide which Elven settlement of Middle-Earth you wish to spend the rest of your days in. First age included

>Rivendell
>Lorien
>Menegroth
>Nargothrond
>Gondolin

No Valinor allowed.

>Nargothrond

Because I wanna see elven caves.

>implying

No. The Arkenstone was a seperate object

Somewhere in Forlindon.

People who could best Sauron in single combat:
>ring
Gandalf the White
Gandalf the Grey (with Glamdring)
Fingolfin
Feanor
Turin Turambar

>no ring
Glorfindel
Fingon
Ecthelion
Hurin
Cirdan (more than likely)

>ywn die saving qt elf maidens during the invasion of Gondolin
Jdimsa

No way this is true, nigga would be almost entirely in space.

If you live in Menegroth you could see qt Maiar queen

>space
Arda is (or rather was) flat.

Are you retarded or just pretending?

How does that change anything?

How do you reckon Fram killed Scatha the dragon?

Thingol was kind of an asshole, though. It's what got him killed and consequently caused the fall of Doriath.

Space didn't exist when Ancalagon was alive. Everything in the universe was Arda and everything outside the universe was behind the door of night.

>b-b-but Sauron was soooo strong in the moovie
Fuck you and fuck Peter Jackson. Sauron being powerful does not mean that he is physically strong. Shit, he was subdued by Huan. Physically, the Balrogs were more powerful that Sauron as they were actually used in direct combat whereas Sauron was more of a tactician in Morgoth's army.

Well it depends, which of those use outhouses and which have plumbing?

My gf watched the fellowship of the rings with me tonight. She seemed to enjoy it. She even pointed out how if the reigns were looser the horses could have ran faster in one of the chase scenes.

Moria > Gundabad

No.

Half the size of a xbox

What kind of Xbox?

The Original Xbox

>mfw my 13 year-old self still has nightmares trying to hold that damn controller playing Halo: CE with 4 TVs at a LAN party

Easily

Based on what?

>Fingolfin
>Fin-"I literally made your master my bitch because of how fucking MAD I was"-golfin

BASED

>muh silmarils

He killed multiple Balrogs by himself at once

Obligatory

9 to be exact, and was only finally mortally wounded by the Lord of the Balrogs, Gothmog.

Even then, his family had to forcibly carry him away and with his dying breath made them all swear an oath to never rest until the Silmarils were recovered, then promptly spontaneously combusted because he was just THAT FUCKING MAD.

Were any of those balrogs the equal of Sauron though? No.

based muh silmarils poster

>used to love LOTR/Middle Earth threads because they were so damn comfy
>now they just serve as a reminder that the TV series will be full of women, gays and minorities

I've lived too long, where are my grey havens?

>I've lived too long, where are my grey havens?

There are no grey havens for the unexceptional.

Actually yes. Balrogs and Sauron are the same tier entities. To start with they served only motherfucking Morgoth. Some aka Gothmog was even stronger then him.

i've just rewatch the whole thing (extended) i want to watch it again so bad ...

They are in deep in the jungle trying to catch a replacement for Aragorn as we speak.

it's a meme book that was taylor-made for reddit

>now they just serve as a reminder that the TV series will be full of women, gays and minorities
Don't go in those screeching threads, man. The actual threads are still comfy.

idirs elba is in london you know

gandalf the gray was created to rival sauron in power so naturally gandalf the white would beat him any time of the day during any kind of circumstance

Just how many niggers will they cram into it? I can't see any situation where they don't force a black man into the fellowship but have no doubt they'll be everywhere in Middle Earth.

it's not about the fellowship
probably a 'prequel'

>it's not about the fellowship
Is this confirmed?

stop being a triggered faggot

No.

>The television series will take place before the 2001 feature film "The Fellowship of the Ring," which kicked off the trilogy

cnn

I think she has autism.

Yeah like he said, the jungle.

>cnn
Fake news
But regardless, is there any further info when and where? Will it be Silmarillion or will they be going some fully original fanfic between Hobbit and Ring?

Rivendell, it's the smallest one but the comfiest.

>Gollum fell into the lava because Eru poked him

Well that I did not know.

>5 names for each river, forest, sub type of Elf and 3 names for each important elf
>Story's that are just as brilliant as LOTR if not more so
>5 names for each river, forest, sub type of Elf and 3 names for each important elf
It's a slog but the gems are second to none

>Was the Heart of the Mountain part of Silmaril?
If it was the Elves would've done everything in their power to get it to Valanor

>spending the rest of my days around elves
No thank you.

>then promptly spontaneously combusted because he was just THAT FUCKING MAD.
Feanor created objects not even the Valar could make and fought multiple Balogs at once.
Dude was crazy overpowered

Dwarves is where its at!
Restored Moria
Iron mountains
Blue mountains
The lonely mountain
The glittering caverns of helms deep

Choose wisely

>Restored Moria
>Not Moria in it's glory days before the Shadow

Can anybody make a webm of this? I made this a long time ago for fun, never got to upload it though.

drive.google.com/file/d/0B9lG2t3DwffkLXFRa2MtM1RreGM/view?usp=sharing