Was The VVitch anti-Christian?

>doesn't matter how devout you are, devil still gonna getcha!

What an awful fucking message regardless of whether you believe in God.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/omcG5ybDmNg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If the father had not been so blind and full of hubris the Devil would never had gotten into their lives
They did the rest
Seems pretty Christian to me tbqh

the point was their faith blinded them of the real threat that was lurking in the woods. they literally chocked up the baby disappearance to an act of god and didn't bother relocating or launching a seach party immediately or taking any change of course other than praying.

yes you moron, it was pro-feminist/anti-family aka on the jew agenda train

In which religion is Anya a deity? I think this movie is pro-that religion.

I would't mind a family revenge-flick, /w smackin' witches to the left and right

>villain is a goat
lmao

what the FUCK was his problem?

Do you think you're funny? You post this shit in every Witch thread. Fuck you.

she was a slut as is clearly shown in the scene where she does like the taste of butter and covets nice dresses.

this film is a masterpiece I've seen it twice but will definitely go back to it one day

cant wait for nosferatu

He looks smug

Strumpets ain't shit

>>doesn't matter how devout you are, devil still gonna getcha!
>I didn't get the movie

They all have been sinners. Dad because of his pride, mother was tyrannical (she even admits it, calling herself Lot's wife), the older boy was lusting after his sister, the two little kids were just brats with no faith.
The main character was actually the strongest one, be she broke too after her own family betrayed her.

the father was a hypocrite full of pride who considered himself above the other settlers, the mother was self-centered and didnt have any love for her own children, brother was lustful, kids were disobedient towards their parents, Thomasin was the only one who stayed innocent to the end but gave into the devils temptation.

This

they were in this shit because their fathers pride moran

This.

BUTTERED

There is literally nothing wrong with lusting after your sister

>calling herself Lot's wife
Doesn't she say Job?

Well, sure, it definitely wasn't theologically sound. But it's a horror film. Horror follows a nightmare / fear logic. About the bad things people don't want to happen, in that case the fears of puritans. Just see it as operating in a fictionalized puritan nightmare-space.

The natives seemed to do fine.

I can't remember, but Job's wife makes more sense.

is this from the movie?
dont remember that scene

It's right at the start, when the family get's expelled and is leaving the village.

Well, yeah, they're pagans, already with the devil by that world's logic. But the movie basically was structured on the puritan fear of constantly being tempted and in danger of losing one's soul.

Generally, Christian theology says that if people are standing with God, putting in an effort, but ultimately / crucially are repenting, then that's all that matters and they have nothing to worry about. Simply being imperfect doesn't send you to hell because that's what the repentance is for, to get forgiveness of your sins.

Where this movie definitely wasn't coherent with Christian theology is that the family were clearly putting in earnest and devoted effort to follow their faith, and any mistakes were just little white lies. And even those the dad apologized for at the end (repentance) so he's not supposed to be at the mercy of the devil then. But again, it's a horror movie, it works like a nightmare, in which their worst fears come true anyways.

In that sense, don't read into the film as a statement on theology, just see it as an exercise in the horror genre, using a puritan framework as its setting / logic.

youtu.be/omcG5ybDmNg

Is this what watching movies with women is like?

why do her parents allow her to walk around like that anyways? I thought puritans where.. well puritanical?

But they weren't especially devout. The point is that it's easy to appear pious until shit hits the fan.

This post is too intelligent for Sup Forums, please delete it.

That body double's booty is 10/10.

>Well, yeah, they're pagans, already with the devil by that world's logic.
Why were pilgrims trading with the devil's minions?

there were more theological inconsistencies. Like the focus on original sin combined with no certainty of salvation.

Pretty sure puritans beliefs werent like that. Sounds all very catholic to me (and those guys believe in purgatory).

Am I the only one who thinks that Satan should have been seen only in shadow and flashes of movement?
For some reason I remembered him being shown only in that manner but then when I rewatched he was clear as day some moustached pirate esque dude.

He only wants us to live deliciously. Fuck that hobo Christ.

why wouldnt they? Its a good way of doing missionary work and the world is full of sinners anyways.

I don't think that matters. And one presumes the puritans presume they have domain of the world and its resources. And anyways, people need food and stuff, living out in unforgiving nature and all.

Yes, it's when the family leave.

>Pretty sure puritans beliefs werent like that.
I thought from the get-go it was obvious this group, or at least the father, were hyper fanatical about their beliefs as he was expelled from the puritans for being too fanatical.

Didn't mean to use 'presume' twice there. Mentally replace one of those with an equivalent word.

>chocked up

fucking idiot

Thank you for letting us in on your drafting process. Its coming along nicely. Be sure to have your final draft submitted by Friday.

CLICKITY
L
A
C
K
I
T
Y

Post screenshot. I don't remember that shit at all.

Are you for fucking real?

Not a screenshot but a shot of my television with Witch on. Basically same.

Oh shit man, I totally forgot about that too. Thanks.

giv ayylmao gf

He looks like he's wearing one of those rich coats from like Elizabethan England or something.

No probs. Although I swear it was full darkness (which works immensely better) first time I watched it. First time I watched it on Blu Ray and a 720p tv. Second time was current HD tv but with dvd.
Interestingly on youtube they're all in darkness too. No idea which was original but darkness and sound works so much better than seeing Satan.

>I can't enjoy films unless they have a positive message that reinforces my personal feelings about right and wrong
You know how I know you're American?

To evangelize them.

She was so cute i could barely concentrate on the movie.

she's in The Miniaturist playing another historical qt.

The fungus growing on the corn causes hallucinations when eaten.

The family wasn't being terrorized by the devil, they were tripping balls.