How can Nefcy avoid the self destruction of Alex Hirsch or the sloth and greed of Sugar and keep Star vs The Forces of...

How can Nefcy avoid the self destruction of Alex Hirsch or the sloth and greed of Sugar and keep Star vs The Forces of Evil from going down shit creek?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=mDvbONEzAGY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I admit SU has its problems, but how do sloth and greed add into the equation?

well sloth is because she's lazy and lets her staffers take over the ship, and she's greedy because she's just doing whatever instead of earning his keep as showrunner

-Write well-rounded main/secondary characters, female ones included
-Keep plot tight; don't let it meander and don't rush it
-Balance the dramatic with the comedic
-Have a villain/antagonistic force that can bring the feeling of a dire threat

I don't know, I guess this is just stuff I look for in an overarching story.

This...

She's already going down the path of Gluttony taking control and making the show more of her personal fanfic

By not over-working herself and by not giving full creative (Both artistically and from an author standpoint) to her crew members for a show that has an over arching plot.

It's that simple. Don't be a workaholic and know what fits your genre.

Giving your crew loose drawing restrictions works if you have a Looney Tunes show and it's actually fun to notice when the characters change in design. You know, something 100% episodic and comedic with a bit of slapstick on the side. It's an awful idea when you want to do something serious or with an ongoing plot like Gargoyles or B:TAS.

And being a workaholic only works if you can actually deal with it. If you get burnt out, then it's clearly not the working style for you and you should figure out how to economize before you get your role as a showrunner so you aren't writing 50-page scripts and cutting them down and re-writing dialogue because you don't like what your other writers wrote.

Both of these traits come from experience on working on other shows. Unfortunately, Sugar never had guidance since Pen Ward let her do whatever she wanted and Alex only ever had storyboard positions. He never got his feet wet as a director for someone else's show before being promoted to showrunner.

How so?

her personal fanfic of what?

1. Avoid the temptation of turning the show into your own personalized soapbox. Kids don't give a fuck about Blonald Blumpf or gay's rights or whatever is happening in real life, cartoons are for escapism.
2. Develop side characters but don't make them take over the show, especially those that are essentially walking gags. You don't want to end up with Wendy who people know fuckall about, nor do you want to end up with Soos or townies taking over every episode.
3. Have accountability for characters when they make mistakes. Star should really have to answer for having Ruberiot nearly cause a riot on Mewni. Nobody likes an infallible untouchable Mabel.
4. Have the villains actually do threatening shit. Why should we be afraid of Toffee, what is he actually planning? Don't tell me he's going to just show up, throw a frat party, kill off a useless side character or two for drama, and then get vanquished by the power of peace and love or some shit.
5. Lastly, don't be afraid to break some shippers hearts at the end. How would an arrangement between an Earth kid and a Mewni princess work? Is it practical?

I guess the sloth part is about how Sugar couldn't keep her employees in line and the fact that no one there knows how to draw any of the goddamn characters consistently. I don't know about any greed, but I haven't been following SU development recently.

Keep the quirky star-themed kid from either going full Steven or full Mabel

Mostly good points, but Soos didn't really take over every episode, and he was a major character from the start. In fact, he basically became irrelevant after his second focus episode

>Lastly, don't be afraid to break some shippers hearts at the end. How would an arrangement between an Earth kid and a Mewni princess work? Is it practical?

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE LEAVE STARCO OUT OF THIS!

Has Nefcy worked on other shows before?

>making the show more of her personal fanfic
Isn't every TV show already the creator's personal fanfic?

If you're going to have one of your character's actions lead to extreme negative consequences (Like the apocalypse, for a completely random example) then don't completely forget said character's part in it after it starts.

>oh ho ho, silly adorable may may girl caused the apocalypse!
>but it's ok because she's cute and her loving twin brother is a total pushover

Fanfic of her own show. Fusion went from, "A way to make us stronger as Opal fighting technique" to shipping bait which I'm sure Sugar purposely designed as so because she loved shipping as a teen. I can't think of many other shows that purposely integrate a mechanic that encourage OTP autistic screeching.

It's like when anime shows have characters with powers where they need to make-out with someone in order to activate it. It's purposely fetish-y because the creator would much rather see their characters in an orgy than in a story.

She also lifts scenes, shots, and emotional climaxes wholesale from things that inspired her as a kid. Which is usually something a fanfic writer would do. Homage only works if it's not the crux of a character's development arc. The Charlie Brown football joke is a good example of that. Stealing Spirited Away's character bonding moment is a bad way of doing it.

I have never watched GF, how bad did Sup Forums take the climax?

>5. Lastly, don't be afraid to break some shippers hearts at the end. How would an arrangement between an Earth kid and a Mewni princess work? Is it practical?
You do realize Star and Marco are pretty 1-1 on Nefcy and her husband. She also drew a comic where she takes a plane to visit home and goes back to [Marco] her husband at the end

I didn't watch it with Sup Forums because of thread autism. But from what I've seen, they took the finale as bad as I did.

They were quite disappointed for a number of reasons

How bad did you take it?

>this autistic rumor again
The only author avatar character that Nefcy made was StarFan13.

>Dipper makes a mistake/lapse in judgment with minor negative consequences
>gets publicly humiliated, badly injured, and/or nearly killed

>Mabel makes a mistake/lapse in judgement with extreme negative consequences
>Is utterly unscathed physically and emotionally

I'm going to look for an archive of any thread around that period

Another question, Lauren posted on /mlp/ and even had a tripcode. Sugar did some smut request for an user featuring EEnE, urban legend or is it true? If so, wheres the said pin-up?

Also, do you think Nefcy browses here?

I found it to be a hastily cobbled, poorly written, inconsistent mess with a plethora of plot holes, unresolved plot points, and too many out of characters to list.

>Base main characters on yourself and a loved one
>While the protagonist is a spineless or stupid loser in a constant state of suffering, the deuteragonist is quickly liked by every non-villain who matters and makes several important accomplishments

I guess Alex and Daron have something in common after all

This show has magic and sense magic doesn't have to be explained 80% of the time. The show is doomed due to the lack of creativity that will follow in the coming years.

and people apologize to her

What parts did you consider out of character?

Pretty bad. Several gaping plotholes, climax felt rushed to the point that the show should have had another season to handle the finale properly, and Mabel getting off Scott free for starting the apocalypse and trying to replace her brother.

Pussy pass for the ages.

No idea, and I highly doubt it. At most she might go on reddit or look at fans twitters.

>trying to replace her brother.

I'm genuinely surprised it was never brought up how fucked up of a thing it was for Mabel to do that

To be completely fair, on SU's part, Disney has treated Nefcy and Star vs. way better than CN has ever treated SU and Rebecca. Star is Disney's darling. It got the fabled four seasons. CN is constantly fucking SU by giving it a shitty schedule, and forcing the writers to write in bomb format only for plot stuff, which use up episodes quickly.

Hirsch and GF is just a tale of the creator being batshit. DISNEY WANTED HIM TO HAVE A THIRD SEASON. It would've helped the show so fucking much

I honestly think Star Vs. does a good job of having all of this.

why there're no such things as svtfoe generals on Sup Forums?

Either it was a major pussy pass, or the ending was more rushed than it seemed and they forgot to ever address Mabel's evil.

Can anyone upload images?

>She also lifts scenes, shots, and emotional climaxes wholesale from things that inspired her as a kid.
isn't that what literally every writer/artist does?

>Disney has treated Nefcy and Star vs. way better than CN has ever treated SU and Rebecca.

Can't really say that after the recent controversy over the gay kisses in Just Friends.

By ignoring metafans and fandoms like the plague you are

Nope, what's the deal with that anyway?

Not verbatim like Sugar does. Someone might get inspired by a transformation sequence from a werewolf movie and want to do their own, but Sugar will take completely take someone else's cool idea, copy the camera work and pacing, and put it in her own show. The only other time people do stuff like that is for parody like Simpsons, Billy & Mandy, South Park.

It's the difference between what makes stuff like Bill Death's scene really cool and Pearl vs. Holo Pearl fucking lame.

>Can't really say that after the recent controversy over the gay kisses in Just Friends.

They actually gave a fuck about that?

Also, for some reason nobody posted anything in any thread for like four hours straight

The mods delete any Svtfoe thread calling itself a general

checkmate Moxy
game over
i win
anime will be real now

Why?

Sugar isn't getting any worse treatment than any other show creator. Regular Show got fucked harder than SU by the end of its lifetime. The only major problem is scheduling and leaks, which is EVERY show that isn't TTG. Otherwise, she's gotten quite a lot of creative control compared to a lot others. If you want to see someone who was treated poorly, look at CH Greenblatt with Harvey Beaks.

SU does very well on streaming services, had one of the top most sold app games for awhile and is getting a sequel, had a 3-month summer marathon bomb dedicated to it, SU ends up having one of the most packed Comic Con panels of any of the CN shows, CN gives Sugar a lot of exposure and put her as the face for those Anti-Bullying PSAs. CN doesn't really shaft her at all.

What's a pussy pass?

A good one doesn't do it as disjointedly and bluntly. Moreso, its accidental, or natural for the story.

Think about it like this, if you can watch a show, and you don't find yourself initially (meaning on your first watch) thinking "this is from something else" during pivotal scenes in a story, then it's proper storytelling. Basically, its the fair use argument, but instead of saving your ass from copyright claims, it's in regards to telling a worthwhile story.

Scenes like the shining reference in SJ get a pass because they aren't meant to evoke the same feelings as the source material. They have different meanings altogether, and flow within the story, thus they belong in the story. Scenes like the Eva reference in SU don't get a pass because they don't differentiate, or subtle themselves, enough, meaning it sticks out like a sore thumb, and it doesn't belong in the story.

Relatedly, if you're going to devote half of the finale arc to finding and rescuing a character because they're so important, make sure they actually do something in the second half

No matter what happens,Sup Forums will hate the show eventually.I mean it.Whatever they do with it will have hate threads just like it happened with gravity falls,samurai jack,steven universe and any other fucking show thats popular.
Wether its making starco canon,debunking starco,making toffee lame,whatever they do,Sup Forums will hate it.
Youll just have to get used to it.

Also,get ready for star vs critical getting posted on your star threads. Season 3 wont be perfect and any mistake makes those turds come up.

That's a highly opinionated claim. Usually, people don't even get most of SU's references until it's pointed out to them, meaning they were subtle and within its intended theme.

And you rather have a spineless circlejerk? Like it or not, Sup Forums's format allows the most honest of opinions

Eh Fusions in SU are way more interesting than they are in DBZ. And what the hell do you mean Opal is shipping bait? She's literally appeared twice in the entire show, and she's always expressed the relationship between Pearl and amethyst

shitposting is honest opinions now?

Posting honest thoughts on a show's flaws is shitposting now? Get fucking real

I didn't say Opal was, I said she was the first that introduced fusion as the concept of being a stronger, cooler being, like going from Squirtle to Blastoise, to having Garnet throw Pearl against a wall and blushing or having Garnet and Peridot share an "intimate" moment where Garnet tells her it's okay if she's not ready.

For every decent moment of Malachite we might get, there's an awful Ruby asking Sapphire, "Was this your first time?" that comes across as fanfic writing.

What a crock of bullshit. People here are never satisfied no matter what any one does. There criticism and then there's wallowing in your own filth.

The Gravity Falls ending was decent, despite Sup Forums going on and on about what a travesty it was.

The new season of samurai Jack is a great show. It has its flaws but it's not the complete garbage Sup Forums thinks it is.

SU is flawed too but it's still a decent show.

I don't understand why when something doesn't hold up to this places utterly impossibly high standards, it's put on blast. Get over yourselves holy shit.

It does allow plenty of honest opinions,but also stupid shitposts.
Samurai jack season 5 has BIG problems that Sup Forums has talked about,but there are people who treat it like the worst thing ever made and how it destroyed the whole series.
Theres 2 types of people.Those who criticize and those who are just haters.

Don't play dumb, user

I get your point. Not many people would know every reference SU makes, since they're diversified, but i ask, after being unearthed, do you think the referenced material adds to the story in a original and natural way? a lot of the references are very on-the-nose to me once realized, and they don't seem natural in the story otherwise. Very Scary Movie-esque.

>haters

Haha holy shit,are you for real?

>Everything is DECENT! Even if it has FLAWS! God, Sup Forums just can't get their dick out of their ass.

Because there's no fucking discussion in, "Wow, that scene sure was cool!" for 9 months straight. But there is discussion in, "How would you fix SU?" threads, which I've seen plenty of that have had many, many legit criticisms in a calm, non-shitposting manner.

The ability of a female to avoid being held accountable for her actions simply due to being female.

One controversy doesn't change the fact that Disney has still treated Nefcy exceptionally well

I mean the kindergarten is a references to that one Japanese comic, but it still fits into the story of SU. There's also that one "Congratulations" scene at the end of The Test, but it's not out of place because the gens are congratulating Steven the way they would after he finished their test.

>do you think the referenced material adds to the story in a original and natural way?

I don't think those are what references are meant to do. They're just fun little easter eggs crew members like to put in their work.

Allegedly. There's no definitive proof they took offense to that episode aside from all airings of it mysteriously pulled off air.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=mDvbONEzAGY

Phineas and Ferb was treated way better.

The shows are all decent in there own way. When something's flawed, I don't harp on what I didn't like about it, because I'm not going to enjoy anytjying at that rate. I look at what it did well and if it didn't do well enough, then it wasn't for me, no big deal.

I don't know, maybe I'm not jaded and pessimistic enough to be on Sup Forums.

She used the term "starco" in an episode

You're full of shit, go to any thread talking about the flaws if this current Samurai Jack season and you'll see people offering well written posts and disappointment at most compared to the fucking autistic shitflinging by Samurai Jack fanatics who go rabid at you for not saying Genndy was god's gift to earth

Well those people would be in the minority. Most of the criticism is just
>muh Jashi
>wah no Guardian fight
Etc

Whether those people are genuine or not, they aren't a fraction as bad as the butthurt shippers who shit up the board with their pairing

I don't even remember gay kissing, just the fuccbois on stage doing kiss lips to mock boybands. Are they not even allowed to do that without pissing off someone?

There were like 2 or 3 gay couples kissing in the crowd. I mean it's whatever. Gay couples are more normalized these days but still not fully accepted and I hate when creators use their children's cartoons as a vessel to show their personal and political beliefs

Fair enough, i guess it really is subjective. I personally like my literature to not be concerned with constant referencing, to make its own story and be celebrated on its own merit.

When i watch hitchcock or something, i don't feel like they're throwing references in there (yes i know he did reference and pay homage to things), it feels like a complete story that stands on its own. Maybe you feel the same with SU, i don't know, but what i do know is that, to me, it feels cheap, like the writers couldn't just let their trivia go unnoticed, they just had to put their meme in so that their buddies could snicker at their "extensive" knowledge.

By getting you a new hobby.

Late reply and it doesn't matter, but this is probably the one and only time gay kissing should be normalized, given that it's happening at a boy band concert in Southern California in the year 2015. It would be more out of place to NOT have fags tongueboxing. I'm against homosexual behavior as well, but not at the expense of lying about what the reality of the situation is.

this

Stop saying "character" and say it fully FEMALE CHARACTER. Male characters mostly end up suffering and paying for their bullshit to the extreme where they are castigated for doing NOTHING wrong.

I really hate men and twat writers because they obviously do NOT like punishing females. This shit always annoyed me even back during old shows like Bonkers by Disney.

Bonkers being a male character suffered a lot of comedic slapstick for a laugh. In fact, Bonkers had two partners during the duration of the series.

Lucky - A male partner. Because he was male he also suffered misfortune due to the agony of being Bonker's partner.

Miranda - She's a woman. Not only was she not cartoony like Lucky was in her reactions but because she had a pussy she suffered nothing. She always avoided consequences and all sorts of slapstick. She was untouchable.

This problem continues to persist even today because of annoying pussy beggar male writers who are total white knight faggots supreme. That and a slew of twat writers. But I mostly blame MEN because even outside of male writers look at how many male faggot losers look at a female character like Azula from Avatar or CJ from Regular Show and despite their murderous tendencies they go "Best girl!" and they're not even joking.

Men....they are to blame. Female characters avoid consequences because MEN don't want to see them punished for their misdeeds. No wonder than Female Pedophile, the woman who voiced Betty from Adventure Time, got away with her bullshit.

The fact that I didn't notice the fags kissing shows how unimportant it is. Gays exist, especially in commiefornia at a boy band concert. Seems stupid desu.

I guess it's mostly because seeing women getting hurt, isn't overall funny. Most of the times we will feel sorry for them while seeing a guy getting hit for being an idiot will make us chuckle.
This is why we have so many women snipers/archers in movies and cartoons. They stay away from the direct combat and thanks to this there's lower chance for them to get physically hurt. The best you can do to them is either destroying a platform that they're standing or an enemy sneaking up behind and smacking them with a blunt weapon. But a hand-to-hand fight with cuts and bruises? rare.

Someone post beaten up Korra face

Redpill victim complex reaching critical mass.

It's "funny" but the reason HUMANS don't find it funny is because men's cocks get very sad at seeing a fertile vagina go to waste. That's the crux of the argument. Men do not rise above their biology when it comes to pussy.

When a man sees another male get hurt in comedy they instinctly say:

"Yes die in one of your antics so I can claim your woman!"

It's all about sexual biology and when it comes to pussy? Men are happy retards who don't want to rise above it. This is why females like Kitty Katswell from Tuff Puppy are rare.

Fug, I forgot I'm on a blue board and now I can't delete the comment.

>People here
>Sup Forums thinks
>this place's
Sup Forums is not one person, nor is it a hivemind. Some people don't like the things you like, and sometimes they are very vocal about their displeasure. Stop getting assblasted that some people disagree with your opinions.

No it doesn't.

Everyone has an opinion.

Yeah yours is just wrong

In your opinion.

What exactly is inaccurate about what I posted? Of all the creators on CN right now, Sugar is getting pushed by CN the most with TTG being the one that is played the most.

Every other show can die in a fire it seems as far as they're concerned. She's probably having one of the better experiences in working at CN compared to something like Mighty Magiswords who is mistreated so badly they don't even give the show a budget for animation.

Sloth in that she does too little to keep her boarders in line, and that results in monstrosities like Lauren Zuke. Not sure what he's on about with greed though.

>Greed
Wasting the budget on celebrities and people like Nicki Minaj for a one-time role that guarantees the character will never have a speaking role again.