Amazing Spider-Man - Renew Your Vows Storytime

Other urls found in this thread:

spinnyverse.com/comic/archive
spinnyverse.com/comic/02-11-2010
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I am legit happy that this book is actually doing well.

>I am legit happy that this book is actually doing well.
Same. Thank god.

Agreed, especially now that we know Slott isn't leaving ASM any time soon. I've been enjoying Kelly's Spider-Man/Deadpool as well, but he's leaving it soon and I don't know what's going to happen afterwards. At least we still have this. I'm looking forward to the Venom arc and finding out why Liz Allen, of all people, currently has the symbiote in her possession.

>. I've been enjoying Kelly's Spider-Man/Deadpool as well, but he's leaving it soon and I don't know what's going to happen afterwards
Noooooo.

I'm hesitant to add it to my pull list, but at some point you gotta say fuck it and tell Marvel what you want with your wallet. Ugh, I've avoided having any Big Two books pulled for years now.

But I really love family books.

Do it, user. This is the best Spider-related book in ages.

Doing the rest when i get home. If someone wants to take over fine.

Is this one of the cutest thing ever published in a comic?

Yes, it is

So in this universe MJ is Mr. Gambi, neat

> Conway
Possibly one of the oldest continuing writers in comic books. This is the guy who scripted The Death of Gwen Stacy, created Man-Thing and co-created Punisher. Somewhat checkered reputation away from Spider-Man, but completely at home in it. One of the few who went on to write for television but didn't consider going back to floppies beneath him.

> overshipping, no returns
how meta

> Spinneret
Gerry, no
no Gerry

Did no one tell him

What's the problem?

dude was 21 when he wrote the Death of Gwen Stacy. that blows my mind.

spinnyverse.com/comic/archive
spinnyverse.com/comic/02-11-2010
This has been a thing for 7 years running now, it's a fetish webcomic

>dude was 21 when he wrote the Death of Gwen Stacy
He was 16 when he was first published. Jim Shooter's first published Legion of Super-Heroes story was when he was 13.

This industry used to be dominated by fans and it turned to shit when it ignored them.

>This industry used to be dominated by fans and it turned to shit when it ignored them.

You can instantly tell the difference between Conway and Slott when reading them. Not just in writing tone/style, but Conway has a general love for Peter, while Slott clearly and actively hates Peter.

>while Slott clearly and actively hates Peter
Punishing a character doesn't mean you dislike them and Peter is for better or worse the universe's punching bag to most writers.

>Punishing a character doesn't mean you dislike them

No, but writing the title character out of his own book, having overshadowed by OCs (SpOck and Silk) at every conceivable moment and talking about how "anti-Marvel" the character is in interviews sure does show that Slott hates the character.

Lets also not forget that he wrote an entire event about systematically murdering Peter universe-by-universe (during which Silk figured out how to finish of the villain and SpOck inspired Uncle Ben).

I wish anna-may was smaller. Need me some genuine loli.

And when he isn't doing any of those things, Slott writes Peter as an incompetent manchild who is completely dependent on Anna Maria.

>writing the title character out of his own book
this is how I know you're a casual who only picked up comic books a few years ago

You genuinely expected that to stick and not be a story arc.
> interviews
Because writers don't lie for their book's publicity, Slott in particular.

> he wrote an entire event about systematically murdering Peter universe-by-universe
Knowing that those universes would themselves be destroyed soon afterward.

The difference between a villain and an antagonist: the antagonist is Sandman robbing a bank who wants to pummel Spider-Man for trying to stop him. The villain is consumed by a motive and will kill the hero for getting in his way. By having these (expendable) Peters killed off, Slott shows the villain means business. At one point Magog ran around killing off as many alt-universe Supermen as he could but it didn't signify the writer hating Superman.

Slott does enjoy manipulating his readers. And I'll tell you this right off the bat: good Spider-Man writers generally do because it works. You push this character to his limits and then he prevails. Where I think Slott suffers as a writer is that he understands the idea, but muffs the third act with a less than satisfying conclusion and aftermath, so most people just remember the second.

>Slott writes Peter as an incompetent manchild who is completely dependent on Anna Maria

At what point in Peter's history did he have enough ambition to start a tech firm or even complete his own doctorate? The idea of him just falling into it negates the difference between him and Otto, so yeah you're going to have a dynamic where A-M leads him around in hopes he'll get his shit together. Spoilers: he won't. This isn't an indictment of Peter's intelligence, it's a reminder that he isn't SpOck. If he were another Tony Stark he would have been here by himself already, right?

>this is how I know you're a casual who only picked up comic books a few years ago

Says the Slottfag. Was Superior your first book?

>You genuinely expected that to stick and not be a story arc.
Where did I say that?

>Because writers don't lie for their book's publicity, Slott in particular.
So you don't actually know anything about Slott, do you?

>Knowing that those universes would themselves be destroyed soon afterward.
And? How is that even remotely relevant?

>At what point in Peter's history did he have enough ambition to start a tech firm or even complete his own doctorate?
He didn't complete his doctorate, Otto did. You know, because Otto is the special snowflake that is better than Peter in every way.

Read a comic, dipshit.

>and Peter is for better or worse the universe's punching bag to most writers.

But that's not a good thing. That's how you end up getting flanderization.

>>At what point in Peter's history did he have enough ambition to start a tech firm or even complete his own doctorate?
>He didn't complete his doctorate, Otto did. You know, because Otto is the special snowflake that is better than Peter in every way.

No, Otto believed he was better than Peter in every way which was the premise of the book (and it didn't always work out for him). You were just autistic enough to confuse what a character says with what the writer believes and you're having a tantrum.

I will say that Slott didn't plan the storyline enough to end it within 12 issues and so the buildup and foreshadowing happened too suddenly. This is exactly what I expected the story arc to be, btw:
setup: SpOck finishes degree, gets girl, starts tech firm, cracks down on Manhattan and gets JJJ's admiration.
followthrough: actual villains realize the gloves are off and retaliate beyond even Otto's expectations, pushing him to his limits and testing his actual heroism.
conclusion: Otto recognizes his limits and gives in returning Peter to his body.
The fuckup was that he enjoyed writing the setup too much to condense it and the last two acts ended up being like 3 issues where they needed to be at least 6. And to be honest it was fun watching SpOck do things Peter never, ever would and weird everyone out doing it.

Being mad that a story involved a hero being put down temporarily is your problem, not anyone else's.

Front

Cool

>You were just autistic enough to confuse what a character says with what the writer believes and you're having a tantrum.

What I described is what literally happens in the story. What the hell are you even talking about?

Also, a direct quote from Dan Slott at Florida Supercon in 2015:

>Ann is beautiful. When you think of Peter Parker, I wanted to have this big change in the life of what makes Otto different from Peter. And when you read all the Otto Octavius stories of his background, of his growing up, of who he was — and even as Dock Ock — all the women he falls in love with, he sees them for who they are inside.
>Look at Stunner. Look at all these, like, nerdy girls he was dating as Otto. I think that’s something Otto does something better than Peter. He sees people who are truly beautiful and loves them for that.
>And you look at everyone Peter has fallen in love with, and every single one of them is superficially beautiful on the outside. And the reason for that is they’re all created by John Romita Sr., who drew everyone woman beautiful.
>What guy wouldn’t fall for Gwen Stacy or Mary Jane? Or even if he falls in love with like a Deb Whitman, yeah, she’s the girl with glasses, but she’s the girl with glasses who can suddenly take off her glasses and whip out the hair.
>Everyone Peter falls in love with is so classically beautiful, and to me that is anti-Marvel.
>To me, the Marvel Universe is not about perfect people. To me the Marvel Universe — the thing that makes it so much better than any other superhero universe — is the Marvel Universe is the book about people with feet of clay.
>When I read DC Comics, my favorite DC characters that I love the most are the most fucked-up ones.

Now please fuck off with your Slott shilling. Go read a comic written before 2008, casual scum.

>And to be honest it was fun watching SpOck do things Peter never, ever would and weird everyone out doing it.
Was it fun watching the entire supporting cast running around acting like complete fucking morons? Remember that time "Peter" maimed and brutalized several villains and the Avengers shrugged it off as "eh, he's upset that Silver Sable died. Its nothing to worry about." How about the time they did the brain scan and could only determine he wasn't a Skrull? How about the fact that MJ didn't pick up on the fact that Peter's entire personality, speech pattern and manerisms were 100% different? What about the time he punched Black Cat in the face and immediately turned her into a villain after decades of being on the straight and narrow?

Such based writing, user, right?

Don't forget about the time Otto jerked off to Peter's memories of Aunt May, while in Peter's body.

>Being attracted to good looking women is eeeeevil!

Oh, he's one of those right?

I thought he jerked to the memories of Peter fucking MJ

Otto has basically become Slott's own self insert at this point. Dan clearly wants to fuck a midget.

Nope, it was Aunt May.

Apparently its OK if the hot chick is Dan's own OC, though.

No, the other guy is right, it was MJ.
Peter on the other hand, remembered a memory of Otto making out with Aunt May.

Its Ok when Otto does it, but not when Peter does, apparently.

Peter has aged phenomenally.

How much well?
I've only gotten back into reading comics recently so I've missed the tracker threads