Which is better:

Which is better:

>a protagonist and antagonist that hate each other and have completely opposite goals
>a protagonist and antagonist who are or at least were friends that want more or less the same thing but in very different ways or are willing to go to different measures to achieve it

Both can be good or bad depending on the story. One isn't by definition better than the other.

I like the first better.

On the one hand, this. But in terms of end products vs. in theory concepts, I feel the former generally lends itself towards very basic hero/villain dynamics that simply serve as a vehicle for more interesting, episodic plots and thematic contrasts (see: the dichotomy between Jack and Aku), while the latter is generally better for complex, character driven stories (like OP's example)

Both have their merits, but I feel the "friends turned enemies" concept is usually better for invoking deeper immersion into the story, but that's just me.

Yup

second

Second, honestly. You can go more places with it.

Sometimes the best stories can come only from two people hating each other to the very core of their beings and going to crazy limits of what they can do not because it makes sense but just because they want to kill each other.

man Black Manta is just such an asshole

Would sinestro welcome Hal into the Yellow corp if he had no where else left to go?

Always.

What are friends for?

the 2nd is easier to screw up than the first. Trying to show characters with similar goals but different methods and ideology about getting there is amazing when done well, its kinda dumb when done poorly

Characters with different goals who hate each other is much simpler and can always work so long as you're not an idiot about it.

Here's the better question. For some reason, Hal gets kicked out of the GL Core. Sinestro approaches him and offers him a yellow ring to protect Earth. He doesn't have to follow his orders, he doesn't have to Join the Sinestro Corps , he doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want, he can just use the yellow ring on his own, however he wishes and Sinestro won't bother him.

Does the JL accept yellow Hal?

No. Because Sinestro DOESN'T just not want anything

My hypothetical scenario, my rules.

your scenario is dumb, so are you

Alright, Sinestro wants the power of fear to corrupt Hal. He even tells him. Hal claims he can use the ring without being corrupted. What does the JL do?

>Does the JL accept yellow Hal?
I think they'd be willing to accept him after an explanation but he'd probably dissociate from them on his own

This is the only answer that works

But here's my top friends to enemies pair

Classic Clark and Lex
Smallville Clark and Lex

Cyborg would try to hack the ring to take out the corruption factor

Or

They make a new ring for Hal, probably would be quite cheap and very much less powerful

Or

Zatanna/Dr Fate would regularly have to check his mind and purge it of Sinestro's shenanigans

good luck with ur fanfic btw

If a story leads to Fate appearing, it's a good story.

Sinestro has a gigantic hateboner for Hal so absolutely

Agreed, Fate is so undeserved and yet he's one of my favorite character.

Oh man what'd give for a Zatanna/Cpt Marvel/Dr Fate team-up book

>Fate/Zatanna team up
YESSSSS
>Shazam
No thanks.
Who'd be a nice teamup for them? Besides obvious ones like Constantine or Deadman, I'd say...Chimp. Yep. Chimp.

Why don't they just fuck each other already?

>black manta shows up at a random press event just to rub some salt into the wound in the form of a question

I wonder, did he truly mean it ? And more importantly, was he right ?

Not the best done, but definitely added more to the story and characters than a simple villain of the week could.

Black Manta is a Doom-tier vengeful asshole.

Man now i want an Amalgam Comics Black Doom Vs The Trench Tetrarchs (four mariners who gained powers from mysterious energy at the bottom of the Marianas Trench, Mr Flow, The Pellucid Woman, Human Hydrothermal and The Creature from Beneath the Waves)

this... like the movies werent so great. But, they sort of nailed down a very relatable friendship/enemy.