What is it about adult cartoons that makes them so bad?

What is it about adult cartoons that makes them so bad?

trying to be something they're not

Most "adult" cartoons come from a very juvenile understanding of what is means to be adult.

"trying too hard: the cartoon"

"Adult" cartoons are specifically made for children who think it's cool to watch them.

They feel the need to make sure you understand that "this is adults only!" and doing it without any subtlety which leads to them going a bit too far sometimes
Basically, it's okay to drop 'shit' once per episode when necessary but if your characters say 'shit' every 10 seconds then you're fucking something up

These. They're not for adults, they're for young teenagers who think being edgy and gory and showing boobs and swearing a lot are "adult".

Basically they're for Sup Forums.

They have no idea what adults want

A complete lack of understanding of the demographic(s), no self-awareness, and try trying far, far too hard.

People can't see past edgy I guess. Yet they love to pretend Ricky and Morty is "edgy." Mr. Pickles in a pretty funny show, but people can't see past the edgy exterior

I don't see Mr. Pickles bringing anything new to the table. The initial concept is obviouisly inspired by Where The Dead Go To Die (even the kid shares the same name), most of the jokes are either 'LOL THIS IS SO FUCKED UP' which obviously becomes stale after a while or 'LOL THEYRE SO STUPID FOR DOING X LOOK WE CAN DO SATIRE LIKE SOUTH PARK TOO" which became stale ages ago. Why would anyone want to watch the same shit criticizing the same very narrow variety of things that have been criticized a million times before (religion, vegans, corporations, etc.) other than stroking their own ego?

From a normie viewpoint, Mr.Pickles is pretty edgy dude. You just don't think so because youre desensitized to stuff like that.

Believing that violence/swearing/sex/drugs automatically makes something funny and/or interesting.

They're cartoons for older children.

Because for every Moral Orel we get, there's gonna be 8 Mr Pickles

I've not seen many people say Rick and Morty is edgy. But I have seen a lot of people say it's "Reddit" because they think the creators' intentions are for the audience to agree and sympathise with Rick's nihilism. Which I think is missing the point pretty hard.

Can't speak for that user but I've been on Sup Forums for over ten years and started out on Sup Forums, desensitization doesn't make you blind to how shitty edgy shock humor is. If anything it makes you LESS likely to enjoy it than normalfags (just look at how popular Family Guy still is, yet how loathed it is on Sup Forums). Once you're no longer shocked by anything you just find yourself asking why it's actually funny.

You don't understand what im saying.

A lot of the humor doesnt even come from the shock value of the edge though. The peodphile episode was hilarious and a child never even got raped. People just can't seem to get past the layer of what they percieve as "it's trying to be too edgy." Idk, the edgy doesnt seem forced to me, it just fits in place with the concept of the show
INB4: edgelord
Gore for the sake of gore is just stupid, but it makes sense in the context of having a demonesque dog

edginess

they try too hard

>But I have seen a lot of people say it's "Reddit" because they think the creators' intentions are for the audience to agree and sympathise with Rick's nihilism.
I'm pretty sure people just call it Reddit because it's popular.

gore is for children

Because they aren't written for real adults. They're written for teenagers who want to consider themselves adults.

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I actually enjoyed the later episodes even if the first few were coldsteel-tier. Once you get over all the edge, it's kind of endearing.

It seems like most of the people in charge think adults want cheap gags about sex drugs and violence and aren't interested in mature storytelling, so we wind up with cartoons that appeal to teenagers because they rely heavily on cheap 'adult' gags at the expense of plot.

familyguy.txt