TBS Orders Toon Series From ‘Regular Show’ Creator

>TBS has given greenlights to Close Enough, an animated series from Regular Show creator J.G. Quintel. [It] will be part of Turner’s 2017 upfront today in Manhattan.
>The 13-episode Close Enough is the first collaboration between corporate siblings Cartoon Network Studios and Studio T. The series is described a surreal take on transitioning from twentysomething to thirtysomething. The show revolves around a married couple juggling such everyday challenges as parenthood, friendship, ham theft, stripper clowns and choosing the right day care.
>“We couldn’t be more excited to add one of animation’s most impressive and popular voices, J.G. Quintel, to our growing slate of animated series,” said Brett Weitz, executive vice president of original programming for TBS. “J.G. hit the center of the demo target with Regular Show, and we’re counting on him to bring this younger and more engaged audience to our network.”

What do you think, Sup Forums? I'm happy for J.G.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NGu3RnUFzgo&list=PLD30520A7091B5591&index=1
youtube.com/watch?v=6Yco11ZQ0UE
youtube.com/watch?v=waF-P-CRYPs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

While I'm happy for him I don't think I can watch another animated show about a wacky family with wacky adventures filled with 80's references.

>protagonists are a married couple
This is genius if it means he avoids the relationship bullshit that infected RS

I'm up for it. I'd like to see what he can do without being restricted by a PG rating

Cool, I'd watch an ep or two.

I think it'll be cool as long as he keeps it fresh. The only issue with RS was that episodes were starting to get repetitive.

I'd also like to see what we can get from him, I felt like CN limited him too many times considering how much the show changed in tone as it went through the years.

I'll give it a chance, but the way Regular Show played out means it's less "awesome guaranteed hit" and more "hope this isn't shit."

The characters have to be likeable first and foremost, because several of the RS ones were not by the end.

>The show revolves around a married couple juggling such everyday challenges as parenthood, friendship, ham theft, stripper clowns and choosing the right day care.

>stripper clowns

What the fuck? Well, I guess you have my attention.

>stripper clowns
say no more

Hopefully no love triangle shit this time.

it just feels like he's gonna make regular show again, except they're not college dropouts and more like sad balding adults trying to stay young

It's in the same art style as Regular Show.
This is going to be fucking great.

What's interest me most is that CN artist is doing an adult show on TBS. I wonder if this means we'll be other CN stars get TBS shows too.

I'm excited. How many other times has Cartoon Network Studios produced adult animated series? The only ones I can remember are Black Dynamite Season 2 and Samurai Jack Season 5.

Nice, neat, etc

interested

>Get a show on TBS

Can't wait how they shove in 5-6 commercial breaks in a 11 minute episode (or like 12 for a 30 minute show)

Will his characters say shit also to be edgy like their shitty version of American Dad?

As one of the few RS fans left, hearing this is pretty sweet, here's a gif not sure where it's from but it's a scene from the series.

I'm kinda interested, JG is pretty chill and this seems fun. Time to see if he was a one hit wonder. Storyboarder/writer Sean Szeles from RS is working on it too.

>we’re counting on him to bring this younger and more engaged audience to our network.
Hope this means it's like Regular Show, mature but not "dude gore lmao"

I-is this early RS tier animation or is it just this bit? Fuck I hope it has enough frames like early RS. BGs remind me of the ones in the final bunch of seasons RS got, a more polished painting vibe rather than sketchy and blotchy, wonder if it's the same people.

Is he voicing the guy? He has to right? It looks just like him and his 2 in the Am Pm style, makes me wonder if that's his real life wife, if he has one.

>inb4 we get him working at a gas station here

ha-HA

Ass bongos.

I don't know how I feel about it.
I guess it'll be like Regular show without the surreal moments, and the "dude" humor.

How much Samantha Bee shilling will there be? See as TBS can't go 5 minutes without airing one of her commercials?

As long as JG still voices someone in it, then could be good. Although I worry about them putting it on TBS.

Is there a video? I don't see these images in any articles and the cassette tape screencap doesn't seem like a press release image due to how it's taken, seems like there's a video somewhere I can't find.

I'm begging right now that that one girl isn't just this show's Eileen.

a few early episodes of harvey birdman (though not the pilot nor later in the series)

If he doesn't do this to her tits at some point then what's the fucking point

me too

>tbs

It'll be cancelled after 1 season. They managed to kill American Dad.

Get ready for a series with only 2 good episodes and all the rest being shit

I wonder how many RS crew members gonna be involved. We know Szeles is in it at least.

Yeah, definitely gonna watch.

JG just gets me.

Only thing that worries me is that the animation could be crappy, or the jokes get old quick. But I'm hope that it will be funny, it felt like there was wasted potential with the lack of "edgy" (for kids) humor.

No one even knows that TBS airs premieres of shows.

>TBS

It'll be pointlessly edgy.

twitter.com/TBSNetwork/status/864857202384711680
Animation starts around 2:50. And, yeah; the MC is definitely a self-insert for JG. I'm stoked.

What are you talking about? American Dad is in its third season on TBS and has been renewed for a fourth.

this.

hell, I forgot american dad existed when tbs picked it up.

You're one to talk with your pic of a shitty show.

The other cartoons look cheap and crappy.
Also whoever said that the silver lining to Trump winning is that comedy would have great material was a fucking liar because that promo's idea of funny is "Donald Trump is a poopypants!"

But the guy who made My Name is Earl and Raising Hope has a new show so I'm stoked. Hopefully they'll make the My Name is Earl movie if this new show does well.

Color me interested.

At least with Colbert I can see why people find him funny, Samantha Bee just sucks, and this is coming from someone who doesn't really like Trump

>Sean Szeles from RS is working on it too
So, THIS is where most of the RS Crew flocked over to. I only knew Benton Connor had been working as supervising director on Apple & Onion, but I wasn't sure about everybody else.

Mark Maxey (storyboard artist on Rick and Morty) and Chris Allison (Toonhole Chris and Uncle Grandpa) also revealed that they're working on Close Enough.

I'm interested but cautious.

What I liked about Regular Show was that they couldn't just throw any "adult" humor in it. That they tried in the beginning felt kinda obnoxious to me. I liked it more when it focused on the characters, even though it failed in that department as well by not giving each enough time in the spotlight. But a lot of that could also be attributed to executive meddling.

>tfw the married couple is Muscleman and Starla

Will it do the same story every week, like RS?

Even worse, will it be the same story as RS?

>married couple

MMMMMMM, i don't know man, romance isn't Quintel's prowess, if I do say so myself. I'm cautiously optimistic for the higher rating though.

Basically a spiritual continuation to mordecai life?

the first image could pass as a rick and morty screenshot

>The series is described a surreal take on transitioning from twentysomething to thirtysomething
He's picking up where he left after Regular Show

Basically, except Mordecai lost his metaphorical animal look and is human, and the same for "Stef" the batgirl.

I wonder if we'll get a Rigby. Or a High Five Ghost tier character that has an oddity and is quiet. Benson was just an angry boss and I'm sure we'll have that, unless we get a chill and laid back boss this time

>romance isn't Quintel's prowess
Honestly when he focuses on established couples like Muscle Man and Starla or Rigby and Eileen and not on betacai's wacky love triangle adventures its actually pretty good.

I might've liked Rigleen if Eileen wasn't insufferable to me and made it feel like Rigby became her boyfriend specifically rather than them just being together. A boarder said she saw him as a project and it feels like she took him and fucked him up (by making him decent and warm hearted) because she wins

I want this to be the first lewd, JG papping her breasts saying "boobies" or "titties" a few times with her in that sexy sports bra(?), and for a non blue board version, no bra.

Let's give Quintel's new series a helpful Sup Forums boost bros, plus I've been deprived of human lewds from RS

think that there'll be references to RS?

Second.

Jesus no hasnt this one trick pony done enough?

>The series is described a surreal take on transitioning from twentysomething to thirtysomething. The show revolves around a married couple --

Welp, I'm out. As a twentysomething transitioning to a thirtysomething, I can no longer relate.

Just give me more Regular Show.

There's got to be, and it'd be sweet. Wonder how though, the boring "raccoon and bluejay in the background" scenario like in american dad and that other cartoon, or something unique and direct like "OOOOOOHHH!" or an item exclusive to RS in the background? (the power, eggscellent hat, the park showing up during a in-the-car scene out the window)

reminder this could be in the same city as RS, since humans and animals shared the world as equals

Might be like Milo Murphey's Law that's in the neighborhood/town over from Phineas and Ferb. I could see it. Since it's airing on TBS and not CN, I'm unsure if they could make a direct reference like the park showing up, but that'd be fucking awesome. Never mention it, just make it a quick thing.

As long as Minty Lewis stays far away from this project I'll be fine

I am totally going to watch this, I liked RS too much after all

Oh, no fucking way we're getting a Tarantula tv show.
That's way better news than "regular show for adults".
youtube.com/watch?v=NGu3RnUFzgo&list=PLD30520A7091B5591&index=1

Anyone know if the actual series had already started full production, or if it's just now starting production after having a pilot made?

Wow. I'm actually interested in Apple & Onion now.

Yay. More shitty comedy cartoons.

>Posts a screenshot of a pic.

Dumb phoneposter.

this

Was he a time traveler?

>samantha bee still has a show

Every other cartoon has a similar artstyle as Rick and Morty, except the Bravest Warrior thing

Mike Tyson mystery

I guess JG didn't get "animated sitcom" out of his system after he trashed Regular Show and made it different than what it started as.

It's hard to say what this is going to be, everything seems like a sitcom mixed with "the office", using stuff like daycare issues, but also JG being in an office room with a stripper clown.

But then there's that giant spider which either means we're still getting a few RS tier stuff or something else

I'm glad he bounced back so fast, and that he isn't back to CN, but then again, TBS isn't that great either.

So its just Regular Show:Non Animal Edition?

No he just worked in the business.

Yea, and I don't see this series having licensed songs either, or too many 80s references in general. Plus it seems the supernatural oddity stuff isn't even happening much.

It's basically seeming like an animated sitcom without using it being animated as a leverage. But I like JG, and since he's the main again I'm giving it another go. I have a feeling when a series trailer or a press clip comes out, it'll make or break it

Final Space confirmed for full series.

youtube.com/watch?v=6Yco11ZQ0UE

>we put bravest warriors and rick and morty into a blender

Sre you serious? It looks exactly like Regular Show

What are the chances of Close Enough actually having a theme song?

Its gonna have Regular Shows OP but in a different pitch.

It's his style, as it was before Regular Show too with his animation tests and college shorts.

Just be thankful it isn't cal arts bean face and the squiggle crap that the other shows in the trailer have.

Also JG's style is like Flapjack, which he didn't create but boarded on for awhile. Early RS had strong impressions of flapjack tier humans.

I think the spider thing is part of one. The only reason RS had a short one was because CN asked for it to be 10 or less seconds, back when they wanted that for a little while.

>inb4 we don't get based mothersbaugh for the bg work

Wrong. That's Warner Bros. Animation.

>CN asked for it to be 10 or less seconds, back when they wanted that for a little while
Well, that explains this: youtube.com/watch?v=waF-P-CRYPs

I was going to use that as an example but figured no one would remember it anyway

I really enjoyed this show. Wish it was given more time to find a direction

JG's definitely an ass man.

Nice.

don't do this to me quintel please

unf

Is that suppose to be the married couple? The guy looks like the son, maybe they are siblings and the show will have incest or Mother SS Son. Oh god

It looks like this is JG inserting harder than when he was Mordecai, which makes me wonder, does he have a wife? If he does, will she voice her? Wouldn't it be weird if someone else did? How close does this base off of JG's life anyway?

Please don't let Minty be the wife

Will they call him James? JG? or a new character name?

What's his endgame?

We don't know much but he does have a wife.

>"Ever wanted to see what the life of a citizen who didn't work at the park was like? Well we're bringing you at least 13 episodes to answer just that question. James is just a regular dude who lives in an apartment next to Benson, he has a wife and a young child, has a boring office job, and deals with regular life problems like finding the right daycare. If you're tired of seeing a tall lanky bluejay and a short raccoon filling up your screen, and are more interested in what that human guy was doing on the sidewalk back there, thanks for insulting us and get ready for Close Enough, a series that worldbuilds Regular Show where Regular Show didn't."

is this real

WHAT