Hawkman Respect

can we get a hawkman thread going Sup Forums he is one of my favs.

How was Death of Hawkman?

It wasn't terrible, it was entertaining and pretty damn dark. I liked the writing in it.

>tfw no Hawkman Rebirth

>Hawkman
PFFFTTTHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I know user. it sucks
It would be awesome if Priest wrote Hawkman but that is just a fantasy.

Read Hawkworld.

Yeah but DC doesn't respect him. He's been killed like seven times in the past couple years.

I mean isn't that kind of the point?

Short Hawkman storytime.

Why, you ask?

Johny Byrne used this story (by Gardner Fox and Joe Kubert) as the basis for a story in his crummy Wonder Woman run.

That story is where the post-Crisis Invisible Jet (aka the Lansinarian Morphing Disc) comes from.

Byrne's Wonder Woman had very little to do with Wonder Woman. His version of this arc starred Cave Carson and Diana was just kind of there.

But Fox and Kubert are geniuses so it's always worth reading them.

I know, right?

>read about a whole planet of Hawkmen
Yeah, how about no.

>That story is where the post-Crisis Invisible Jet (aka the Lansinarian Morphing Disc) comes from.
Oh!

>bragging about not wanting to read a great run

>great
>Hawkman
Pick one and only one.

I've always liked the morphing disc because it addresses the problems a lot of people have with the Invisible Jet, such as the question of its utility in a world where Wonder Woman can now fly. Yet for some reason people still seem to hate it.

But in the interest of not making poor Hawkman's thread into a Wonder Woman thread, I digress.

Pls commit suicide

>kill yourself over a fictional character
Jesus, I knew Hawkfags (all two of them kek) were delusional, but THIS much?

I mean, even if you hate the character and even if it were true that Hawkman is somehow an intrinsically bad character, is it really out of the question to you that a good writer could make a good story featuring such a character?

>12 posters
(You)

>good writer
OK, who wrote this Hawkworld then?

Fucking John Ostrander

Don't talk to him

I love how bonkers their plan is.

Oh, you mean that sellout who "liked" the goddamned Suicide Squad movie? No thanks.

Hawkman's problem was multiple interesting takes that ultimately devolved into a continuity clusterfuck that contradicted each other due to bad writing None of the takes such as Golden Age/Silver Age/Post-Crisis were really all that bad by themselves. It's only coupled with bad writers that you get the current mess. The Nu52 one is closer to the Silver Age version yet by virtue of being written by Daniel and Liefeld, it's terrible.

There's so much a history buff can do with the Hawks. They're like an excuse for Kubert to draw lots of awesome ancient weaponry.

>Taxonomy is the science of biological classification
Thanks Mr Schwartz

Actually currently reading Hawkworld and i'm really loving it. I only just kinda liked Hawkman before but this series has really gotten me into him.

I was thinking of going into the 00's series after this since i heard it was good too.

They should be able to do it, they could probably combine the golden age origin with the Hawkworld cop stylings to make a neat new version of him.

They already reversed it around for Liefeld's run.

Can't argue with that at all.

It's not like I'd call myself a "fan" of Hawkman, but I like him from his Silver Age appearances, Justice League of America, his small appearances in JLI, Hawkworld, JSA and that Johns run.

I happen to like a lot of things he's been in and enjoyed his character in those things, even though it's pretty inconsistent.

Ancient aliens who crash landed in Egypt and are stuck in a cycle of reincarnation seem like the perfect blend of backstories but for some reason DC and the writers seem to have an aversion to science fantasy/weird fiction.

I loved the coloring on this comic
It isn't a reprint, is it? Still I love comics with flat colors and the palette here was serene and fancy yet still looks like a vintage comic, amazing.

Which is confounding since post-CCA DC was basically founded on that, as was Marvel.

And most people running comics today grew up on that stuff!

Not really. I mean sure he can reicarnate but it gets really old and it makes it impossible for him to have any major character development since he just dies.

Grimjack is a good example of making it work

That one's an original, and coincidentally got reprinted in a 100-page Spectacular later on.

That was also actually the second story of the issue, so since this is a Hawkthread why not post the first one?

Well actually Hawkman supposedly remembers everything between reincarnations, per the Johns revamp.

Not that this lead to any development whatsoever.

>The Hawks have a prepared lunch of egg salad sandwich
I love this

>petrified lightning
Seems legit

God may know why the comic looks like that, the colors are not misaligned like other comics of the era will be
Maybe is the off white paper

I remember when Harlan Ellison used to get all pissed and insisted something was only science fiction if it were 100% scientifically possible.

Also I say this in every Hawkman thread but my life goal right now is writing for DC and I want to write Hawkman. Which is why I'm kind of glad there isn't a Hawkman REBIRTH because I'd love to be the person who writes it.

I'm kind of not in the mood (tired) to rehash my idea for Sup Forums right now though. I just want to say the whole goal is to give him a creative make over and bring him up to the A-List. Write a Hawkman book that's so good everyone WILL respect the Hawks.

As far as I'm aware, this scan is straight from the original issue. You're right that it does look a bit advanced for the era (1962) and aligns more with the way printing tech was up to in 1974 when it was reprinted. So it's possible someone took the reprint and put it in a .cbr with the original cover scan.

Hope you share it on here someday, I'd love to hear it.

>So it's possible someone took the reprint and put it in a .cbr with the original cover scan.
I can buy that, it happens a lot with some older comics
I remember my scans of the original JLA were taken from the Archives Edition but with the original covers.

As a fellow Texan I must thank you user, I truly enjoy seeing my fav hero in his prime.

I'm right there with you, i'd love to have a crack at writing a book for the hawks.

Would you go for a Carter Hall style story or Katar Hol one?

It's definitely not from the Archives because those have digital recoloring, AFAIK and wouldn't have the print dots on them.

I compared it to an issue of Our Army at War from the same month that I KNOW is an original scan, and though the quality of the scan is worse the quality of the printing seems pretty close, so I really can't say either way on this one.

The one thing I can say is pages from this time were typically a bit bigger than this with more white space.

>I compared it to an issue of Our Army at War from the same month that I KNOW is an original scan, and though the quality of the scan is worse the quality of the printing seems pretty close, so I really can't say either way on this one.
This issue was probably saved by a collector from the very first day, that is why the paper hasn't yellowed.

I'd say the real issue is that they tied a few of their non-cape characters to the reincarnation cycle, which really limits them if a writer wants to use those characters due to the cyclical nature of the Hawk reincarnation. The repetition of events leading to their deaths is also somewhat restricting.

I will take any Hawkman reboot or backstory as long Hawkman and Hawkgirl are a married couple, I just like that because a married super couple is cute.

I'm currently reading Tony Isabella's Hawkman run, and thoroughly enjoying it. It's a shame that it was relegated to non-canon altogether. Honestly, it's a shame that Silver Age Hawkman as a whole is effectively wiped. Johns may have streamlined the whole Hawksnarl thing, but it still sucks that Katar now officially didn't exist until Hawkworld.

And, considering my boy Adam Strange is getting a Silver Age omnibus, is it wrong to hope for a Hawkman: The Silver Age? I know it wouldn't be until next year, but damn if I don't want one. And a Tony Isabella complete collection with Shadow War and vol. 2.

hey I am pretty decent artist let me know if you need help user.

Or you know just have two different versions of them coexisting like Flash (Jay/Barry) or Green Lantern (Alan/Hal).

I think the reason why they've shied away from that is due to the similarity in costumes between Golden and Silver Age.

How did you folks feel about his role in the Injustice comic? Is he normally that angry? Does he normally manhandle his wife like that?

absouletly not. I mean yeah the thanagarians fight when they first meet but its like "hey lets see how strong you are" kinda attitude.

The fact that he beat his wife is a joke injustice ruined hawkman completely.

You know, it could be from a reprint from the 90s. I used to own a few reprints of Silver Age Detective Comics issues from bargain packs that look very similar to these scans. Perhaps they're from early test runs for the Archives?

Like Wonder Woman, Hawkman is a character that a lot of people make these assumptions about or project a certain characterization upon that doesn't align with their history.

Many don't realize that Hawkman is actually an extremely intelligent guy. And though he may have a set of values that differ from the average superhero he's not some seething hothead. He was chosen to lead the JSA over many other very qualified characters.

Taylor is the absolute worst about this stuff and I have to question whether he's actually read much DC at all.

Again, it's not like I'm a huge Hawkman fan, but I read DC voraciously and I can feel immediately when a character is not acting like how I know them.

I LOVE Johns version of Hawkman because you can just tell the guy has read everything with him in it. He feels like the same character we saw in the original Justice Society and Justice League stories but modernized and fleshed out a bit.

For what it's worth, Tom Taylor didn't write Injustice Year 5 which is where Hawkman showed up. And he decided that the Wonder Woman of this universe was always just a massive bitch because there really is no justification for how she acts in the game otherwise.

>a few of their non-cape characters

Just two, Nighthawk and Silent Knight.

I'll storytime the Silent Knight and Superman team up.

Storytiming the Nightwing and Hawkman team up issue as well

Huh, Hawkman's married to Hawkgirl Pre-Crisis? That's weird. I always thought the "marriage" thing was a Post-Crisis addition to the Golden Age.
By the way, Texas user, do you know where I can find reprints of these stories? Thanks for storytiming, my interest is piqued now.

You'd have to get the Hawkman Archives. Which are surprisingly cheap and easy to find for Archive Editions.