Five minutes into this film I was bracing for the absolute worst...

Five minutes into this film I was bracing for the absolute worst. The opening to this film is easily the hardest to watch of all the awards season films. This is also the worst performance that Saorise Ronan has ever given.
By the end of the movie it literally never got better.
How the fuck is it getting so much praise?

Christians bad
Muslims good

Watching Ladybird fail her way through senior year was a trip. I don't know what you were expecting OP but I went in knowing full well Saorise's character was a walking pile of trash

It only got praise because it's a well produced and directed coming-of-age film.
I could not give a fuck about ANY of the characters and ended playing solitaire on my other monitor until the movie ended

I thought it was a pretty good slice of life movie.

I especially thought the relationship between Lady bird and her mother was done very realistically.

my problem with the movie was that the dialogue was unbearably fake sounding

Fuck off it was great

It obviously wasn't

Yes it was

please explain to me why then
All i saw was a cookie cutter coming of age story with a frustrating and unlikeable main character. Now those things dont neccesarily mean something is a bad movie, but everything about the core of Lady Bird is just so mediocre.
The dialogue is mumblecore to the extreme, clearly because Greta Gerwig is taking after Noah Baumbach, but without any of his charm or wit as a director.
The dialogue is unrealistic at best, outright annoying at worst, and its not the like the story around it is so groundbreaking or well written to make up for it.
The mother is literally the only actress who made an effort to not sound fake.

The people praising this haven't seen Phantom Thread, which is an obvious choice for winning an Oscar over Lady Bird. Watch DDL win best actor. Lady Bird has zero memorable parts, it was just a female version of Perks to being a Wallflower. I even watched it in theaters after the praise and the film is very shallow. The acting was great, but the mom is the only sympathetic character.

a real meeting of the minds

I didn't love Lady Bird, but I can't call it a bad movie.
The pacing was way too fast and it felt like some scenes were there just to be there, but it was well written and entertaining.

Not to be a dick, but basically you'll never watch it again? There's no urge, and no reason. Although I agree with you on points, in the end it is a weak movie. Not bad, not good, nowhere near great, it was just a movie. I've said before that it would have worked better as a miniseries.

Just a slightly better than average chick flick. Completely trivial

More indie garbage to through on the pile. Nobody will remember this movie in a year's time

I usually eat up indie stuff like this but this was a dud for me. A no name actress would have been better. Saoirse just devours every scene. She's abit hammy and overdoes it. Very little subtlety.

Congratulations! You win the award for biggest pleb faggot.

Literally all me

The best part was the soyboy boyfriend, I couldn't stop laughing. The rest was uninteresting with not a single likeable character.

I might watch Lady Bird again eventually just because I missed the first 4 or 5 minutes, but for no other reason.
Christine was somewhat relatable but immature and bit of a bitch. Jonah Hill's sister was really cute and I think her narrative was much more interesting.

It's an okay movie, I wouldn't describe it as weak just because it has a consistent endearing style, but it's not nearly as good as Rushmore or Edge of Seventeen.

it also seems like we're supposed to like Lady Bird, but i was rooting for her to fail the whole time.
She was such a bitch and she learned nothing