What happened to the Star Destroyers?

What happened to the Star Destroyers?

They grew obsolete in the 20 years since ROTJ and got replaced by First Order ships. Seriously, this is the one time Disney could've gotten away with using the old models and they preferred to go for nonsense nostalgia bait instead of believable nostalgia bait.

Blown up? Decommissioned? Repurposed?

You mean during the hyperdrive ramming sequence? Hit by faster than light debris I guess.

I'm glad they didn't. It was bad enough they lazily copy/pasted the FO tie fighter. The Silencer should have been the standard fighter for the FO navy.

I mean in general, Star Destroyers are supposed to be that ship that when it showed up you KNEW somebody's anus was gonna get pushed in.

but the FO has BIGGERER ships

I think lazy "reimagining" is more insulting than just a copy-paste. If you aren't going to bother designing something original, just don't do anything.

The ones that made up the Empire's old fleet are probably in various stages of mothballing or decommissioning. The FO replaced theirs with new donut steel-tier star destroyers that they built with all the economic base and shipbuilding infrastructure that exists in the undeveloped barely-explored frontier of the galaxy.

It's only 30 years. It didn't have to be radically different. Next gen tech often looks the same as the old, just smaller or sleeker.

I always thought one of the coolest things about the EU was the Republic crewing old Imperial Star Destroyers.

I mean, why wouldn't they?

how would a star destroyer fare against 20 or so old republic ships?

why does it seem star wars tech doesn't really advance... even over thousands of years?

Yeah...and that hasn't changed. That's literally how TLJ opens.

In old EU many of them were captured and used by New Republic in battles with remnants and other shit. But In shitty new canon where war ended about year after Endor almost all of the remaining star destroyers were destroyed during battle of Jakku, which basically was intentional mass suicide of imperial fleet.

And are probably equivalent to our cars so there shouldnt really be that much change either

so they use the same dumb Tie-Fighter/X-Wings 30 years later which probably take a few days to build but scrapped their capital ships that took years to build?

They were still using WW1 Battleships/cruisers in WW2.

>galaxy wide government with a military to match
>somehow all kaput in a single battle
Really, TFA is a way worse offender than TLJ when it comes to continuity.

>I mean, why wouldn't they?
Because they're inherently evil and getting rid of them all will ensure a war never happens again.
t. Mon Mothma

I LIEK THE OLD SHIPS BUT THERE TO SMALL I WANNA PLAY WITH THE BIGGER SHIP OF ALL TIME

NEED TO GO FASTER VROOM VROOM MOMMY BUY ME BIG SHIPS

actually the main plot in the movie was that their big ships are slow (which doesn't make sense)

Who cares. The First Order has star destroyers that are TWICE AS BIG! SOMEHOW!!!

This is my problem. If they wanted to have an excuse for nostalgia bait, it made more sense to replace the small things rather than the big things. It made sense for the fighters to change, not so much for the destroyers to change.