Why is fight choreography so terrible in western animation?

Why is fight choreography so terrible in western animation?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-KOH2Ocy778&t=132s
youtube.com/watch?v=1svl3qglJE4
youtube.com/watch?v=7nQLiq3PkG8
youtube.com/watch?v=qyM7LsOXQDk
youtube.com/watch?v=duEOJV78TXA
youtube.com/watch?v=ecZo2tSP83w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Post the gif, you know which one

Try wakfu and the new-voltron series.

youtube.com/watch?v=-KOH2Ocy778&t=132s

Also have a (you)

Cause you're a weeb.

Stop posting obvious B8

It has no weight, the fan made gif showing the difference really illustrates it.

youtube.com/watch?v=1svl3qglJE4
If being a weeb means not being okay with shitty animation from a studio that most assuredly has the means to do better, sign me up.

Didn't you make this thread last week and with SU as your only example, you uneducated yellow guy?

Genndy Tartakovsky stuff is usually pretty good.

youtube.com/watch?v=7nQLiq3PkG8

>Complains about western animation as a whole
>Posts SU
I'm seeing this more often than I should

Man why did Titan itself have to be weird, ugly CG? It looks so silly next to the show's beautiful 2D animation.

I think it's the same guy

>he thinks the best fight scenes are shitty overly complicated show off anime fights

>not They Live style completely grounded street level fights with real high stakes
>not jackie chan style slapstick action that endears you to an underdog fighter
>not star wars style setpiece/scene specific fights that fit the story instead of the story being put on pause to wait for a fight scene
>not rocky style everything on the line fights where the protag gets beat the fuck down
>not saving private ryan style fights that are more like what serious fighting actually is, aka fucking wartime murder
>or at least die hard style fighting where the characters visibly get hurt and roughed up and arent uber duber suber men
>cant even handle a good chase scene or two that leads up to a short but good final fight

get some broader taste you fucking plebes

The choreography in Superman and Batman: Doomsday was pretty fucking dank. They clearly either did their homework or hired good help for several of the action sequences.

a man can only hear the word 'toyetic' so many times before he is driven to do terrible things

Laziness and greedy jews.hotel ssme reason why 2D mechas went the esy of the dodo in nipland.

Okay, where are those in western animation?

>storyboarders for a comedy cartoon written by "my feelings" anime fangirls has no sense of action choreography without tracing anime
Go figure.

Stop cherry-picking. Even LoK had some pretty top tier choreography, even if it was missing the flavor of authentic martial arts that peppered the original.

Nowhere.
Which is why I'm telling you to get some broader fucking taste than animation, which is incestuous as fuck, and understand the broader techniques of filmmaking.

>If you have a complaint about animation, that means you don't appreciate any other media.
Great post, dipshit.

Watch the '03 Clone Wars series. Or Volumes 1, 2, and 4 of RWBY.

>>>/drunk phoneposting/

There was literally Jackie Chan and Star wars cartoons that were very well recieved, you dipshits.

Fuck, it's really obvious ain't it?

>Implying the fighting in Jackie Chan Adventures compares even slightly to an actual Jackie Chan fight.
Genndy's Star Wars was pretty good though.

Jackie Chan Adventures did have neat choreography on the rare, rare occasion that it had the budget.

Because western action animators are in a different clique then the one currently gate keeping the industry.

Spectacular Spider-Man had some top-tier fight scenes.

>RWBY

I really liked that fight, specially since its rhythmically, even that electricity sphere in the background was on beat too, this was the peak in quality of SU, everything else went downhill from there, excluding singing episodes.

You got some thing youbwanna say nigga

this OP is cherry picking like a mother fucker

SU is bottom of the barrel no matter what cardinal direction you perfer.

Mate, you're the one cherrypicking here.

There are scant few good fight scenes in western animation. Genndy can do good stuff, but that doesn't mean there's many other great examples.

>NO U
Great argument there, champ.

Here's hoping OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes can make up for its incredibly simplistic character designs with well-choreographed action sequences.

I believe in you, Ian JQ.

>Tons of posts deriding the OP for picking SU over some other, presumably better animation
>maybe one or two posts where anyone actually gives examples

All those kinds of fights do indeed exist in anime. They exist in western animation, too, though they're rarer and generally less well-choreographed.

Not every show is... I dunno, man, I can't think of any examples but I know what kind of show you're referencing.

That's what comes when you imply that everything is as bad as the absolute worst.

People see you for the exaggerating retard you are and consider it beneath themselves to give you the response due a fully functional person.

>you're cherrypicking by showing what most fights in TV animation look like!
>here, have an incredibly rare type of scene from a master animator and director as proof

Hurr.

I don't tend to watch post monty RWBY. And Mounty as animator was the epitome of weightless overly complicated fight scenes. Its weeb shit for weebs that only watch anime that air on toonami.

Plebs

youtube.com/watch?v=qyM7LsOXQDk

>>>you're cherrypicking by showing what most fights in TV animation look like!

That IS cherrypicking you dumbfuck.

This is such a weak fucking excuse.

>oh dude it would be so easy to prove you wrong that I'm not even gonna do it

If it's so easy, spend the 10 seconds writing a response of "NUH UH U FUCKING IDIOT" answering the SUPER EASY question instead.

That's entirely the opposite of cherrypicking.

Cherrypicking is choosing sources that are way out of the norm and trying to present them as examples of that norm. If you show what most fights in TV animation are like to show what most fights in TV animation are like, you are not cherrypicking at all.

Jesus Christ man, I thought you were being intellectually dishonest, not that you literally didn't know what cherrypicking means.

There have been at least 8 separate examples given. A baker's dozen if you could each of Genddy's works separately.

see

This

Korea, pretty much
If Jeff/ Joe animated the scene themselves, it'd look a lot better and even then there's still the middleman of Korea inking and painting and possibly fucking up the timing

Why'd you make my thread again
I got u senpai

>b8
>it's bait because I don't like it

Fucking newfaggots

Korea animated pretty much every animated show across the world, not an excuse

Not every studio is the same

And the fights looking like shot has nothing to do with the Koreans

The people who worked on the scene in the OP are perfectly competent animators

But Garnet vs Jasper was a really shitty fight

Is this supposed to be superior to the original or is it an example of bad fight choreography?

Except that doesn't look very good

>a single fan of the show animates better than half of the actual staff
embarrassing

I think it looks good.
I can't think of a similar scene to compare it to though.

>Amethyst just bounces off of Pearls foot
>Pearl's kick looks like it barely connects
>good

What's the issue people seem to have with the original fight?
I don't know anything about choreography, but from my plebeian point of view the only glaring flaw in that fight was when Jasper turned into Sonic.

a lot of that looks like camera shaking

>I think it looks good.

I think Johnny Test looks good

Unnatural and stiff choreography

this was the only scene of anything on this level and the actual finished product of this scene is shit also

None of those are good either.

Fine, what do you think is good?

I had to watch this a couple dozen times just to see if she was floating in the air or landing on Jasper's arm.

Its very stiff and retarded choreography. Has no sense of weight.
The garnet vs Jasper fight looked like they weren't even fighting, just bouncing around without hitting each other.

Every time someone mentions the bad fights in SU it's always the Smokey Quarts vs Jasper, does anyone remember the god awful fight animation from Crack the Whip? Specifically when Jasper fights Amethyst?

It is. Probably to conceal the low fps. But the flow and viewing angles still look like a massive improvement over stuff like to me.

Every time someone mentions the bad fights in SU it's always the Smokey Quarts vs Jasper, does anyone remember the fight in Crack the Whip? Specifically the god awfully animated Jasper vs Amethyst fight?

I have other easily-accessible gifs from the same episode and others
If you knew anything about animation, it'd actually better to not draw the moment of impact on punches and kicks. Makes the impact snappier.
I can't slow it down at the moment to see if that's what's going on.

Except it looks like there's no impact at all

Why is only one of them moving in slow-mo?

That gif is slowed down.

Is this unedited? I don't remember this scene looking so bad.
Or Jasper so cute

It's supposed to look otherwordly like how Galactus is CG in Silver Surfer TAS

youtube.com/watch?v=duEOJV78TXA

You mean a show made by SJWs has bad fight choreography? Colour me shocked!

That looks bad though

>show made by SJWs

youtube.com/watch?v=ecZo2tSP83w

Yeah, that moment especially was absolutely terrible. The fight wasn't good in general, but I would have taken the second half of the episode more seriously if they didn't have that shitty jojo reference.

How does it look bad? It's not amazing, but it is certainly better than the majority of fight scenes in the show.

What Jojo reference? If you mean the rapid punching, that's just standard lazy fight stuff.

Why does every "SU fights are bad" thread predominantly feature a clip of one second of an intentionally goofy character fighting?

They are super-strong you know.

You gotta stop cherry picking the steven universe shit, it's getting real old.

Yeah, I meant the rapid punching.

Because fuck context, fuck you, you expect me to actually WATCH shows before making fifty threads about them? Fuck you.

Can you point us to some really good Western animated fight scenes?

The "goofiness" isn't the problem. The shitty animation is the problem.

Then there are worse examples.

That's not even the actual JoJo reference from SU.

You're not looking at the right cartoons.

Why doesnt Jasper just grab her limbs?