I always wonder how different would the Justice League Animated would be if they use Hal Jordan over John Stewart...

I always wonder how different would the Justice League Animated would be if they use Hal Jordan over John Stewart. Was copyright the only reason why Hal appear as a cameo?

Nope, it was Dwayne McDuffie

Pretty sure Hal Jordan was spectre around the time the cartoon was being made and they wanted some diversity so they choose to use John instead of Kyle.

John Stewart is cooler anyway

Or Barry instead of Wally

I always thought how funny it was that because fo this show that Jon Stewart became the most well known GL, in my generation at least.

I remember seeing a poster with DC characters encouraging reading but had Hal Jordan, cue 3rd graders asking why the hell is green lantern white?

Diversity reasons
That's why Hawkgirl got in
They didn't want Wonder Woman to be a token female

We should of got GUY FUCKING GARDNER.

IIRC DC didn't want them to use Hal since he was Parallax/dead/The Spectre while DCAU was happening and not GL

They went with John over Kyle for diversity purposes

Bruce Timm: He’s the most controversial character so far from what we’ve been gathering on the Internet. When the show’s lineup was first announced, there were a lot of people saying, “Why aren’t they using Hal Jordan? No, it’s got to be Guy Gardner. No, it’s got to be Kyle Rayner.” Obviously, we picked the wrong one, but the reason we did choose John Stewart are various—I think they’re all valid. Right off the bat, I’ll just say it: you know we did need ethnic diversity in the Justice League. We felt that the show is going to be seen worldwide and I think having a member of the Justice League who is not just “Mr. White Bread” is a good thing.

>Hal Jordan was spectre
Okay that is a good reason. Thank you for answering that.

John is boring. Any lantern would have been more interesting than him.

Huh. I never took Timm to be the cuck type.

We could have gone with Hal Jordan—and he was a great character in the comics—but, in terms of personalities, we wanted to make sure that we had a really good mix of some characters who were a little bit more jokey and some characters who were a little more, y’know, whatever. And so, we felt that having a Green Lantern with a real good, solid edge to him would be interesting for drama (courtesy of the Justice League: Justice on Trial DVD).”

Bruce Timm on Green Lantern (circa 2004): “The only things that really needed to be settled on were which version of the Green Lantern we were going to use, because there’s so many. We could have used Hal Jordan or Kyle Rayner or Guy Gardner, but for a number of reasons, including ethnic diversity, we chose to go with John Stewart—which has turned out to be probably the single most controversial aspect of the show amongst die-hard comic book fans. John Stewart never really got a whole lot of face time in the comics. There was a small period of time back in the ‘80s when Steve Englehart was writing the comic, when John was the main Green Lantern. […] I’ve always kind of liked him too and, again, aside from the ethnic diversity thing, we were looking at what the group dynamic was going to be.

Well he is not wrong. Superman, Flash, Batman, and to an extend, Hawkgirl, are white breads. Wonder Woman was a Greek, Jon was an alien, and since Kyle is pretty much a "White" Minority, John fit the bill.

Blah blah blah

John was and is great.

The military angle meant he just had no shits to give about every ones bullshit.

And it was great

>Obviously, we picked the wrong one
lel

Ironically, John is the most cucked. Just look at the OP's image.

Yeah but his rebound girl was Vixen so....

>ethnic diversity
> to be seen worldwide
why do people of the US think that the rest of the world will not see their tv shows or movies if there is no diversity? Do you really think that a black character will add more viewers worldwide?
Latin America and Asia do not give shit about a black characters and do you think that Africans will care about a JL cartoon? Only US and maybe Europe care for diversity characters.

>Was copyright the only reason why Hal appear as a cameo?

Yeah. DC just couldn't get the rights from themselves. Paul Dini would write a very angry and well-worded letter to Paul Dini, have it mailed back to DC Comics, read it, and tear it up in frustration for Paul Dini even considering using Hal Jordan for copyright reasons. Dan DiDio described the ordeal as "pretty fucking confusing."

Joking aside, Hal Jordan was off the table completely. When the show started production he was already labeled as an irredeemable piece of shit that tried killing everyone during Zero Hour.

Kyle Rayner would have been a good candidate, but John Stewart had 24 years of publication on him. Guy Gardner was being tossed around between different runs because nobody knew how to write for him.

He was pretty much picked for his popularity (at the time) and because Bruce Timm and friends didn't want to get angry letters about there being no diversity in their cartoon.

Take it for what you will, but I think they did a decent job with his character. Not so much with the constructs he made as they were pretty out-of-character for the first two seasons, but otherwise decent.