My girlfriend isn't really a comic book fan, I doubt she's read a single cape comic in her life...

My girlfriend isn't really a comic book fan, I doubt she's read a single cape comic in her life, but she likes cape movies/mythology and started reading Worm on a friend's recommendation and really liked it. She's asked me to recommend her some comic books with similar premise/feel to the series.

Help me out, Sup Forums. Here's what I've got so far:

- Ultimate Spider-Man, with it's confused teenage hero trying to make the right decisions while in a very tough position to be in; it's not as mature as Worm, but it tackles a lot of the same themes, albeit in a more simplistic way.

- Kick-Ass; although needlessly edgy and adolescent, I feel like it takes a similar approach to the whole "realistic" super hero filled world, although not that great at it.

- Invincible; the one that I feel has the most similar setting to Worm's. An original, non Big-2 cape universe, with a very rich backstory and many spin-offs that feed into the overall setting, and it goes about deconstructing many cape tropes in a similar way to Worm.

That's about it so far, what do you guys think?

Other urls found in this thread:

parahumans.wordpress.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This is the third time I've seen Invincible mentioned related to Worm.

Can you explain some of the best parts from it, sell it to me? It must be pretty good.

sorry for asking a basic question, but I saw a big thread yesterday with the same OP image. What is the comic's name? What's the publisher? Writer? Release year? Genre?

Is it just "Worm"?

parahumans.wordpress.com/

Not OP, but it's the best capeshit I've read in my life. It's not a comic yet, it's just an online novel.

Most people who recommend Worm do it because it is basically superheroes done right, a story about hard decisions in a realistic world.

But personally I just fucking love the powers, the author has a talent for making the dumbest powers (like insect control, the power of the main character) cause extremely interesting fights.

I'm glad it's finally become a sensation in Sup Forums, because the poor author really deserves it. He's had to deal with a reddit-exclusive fanbase for a long time.

It's got basically all the cliches you expect from a superhero UNIVERSE, but none of the cliches/tropes you'd expect from a superhero STORY.

It's basically a western manga, if that makes any sense to you: the story has a definite beginning, things happen and the world changes as the story progresses; there's no status quo, so the narrative is ever evolving, old characters go away, new characters show up, the main characters evolve and aren't immune to being severely injured or even killed. It can get pretty edgy some times, but the overall tone is still pretty DC; it's very refreshing to see a superhero comic where consequences can be very real.

Yeah, the name os the series is Worm, but it's not a comic, it's a written serial. The author posted about one to two chapters a week, for three years, from 2011 to 2013. It's a cape story, but more of a deconstruction of the traditional "teenage hero origin" story than anything else; the world-building is fantastic and the writing is pretty decent.

Look up "Worm Web Serial" and it should be the first result.

>It's basically a western manga
I told you to sell it to me, now I'm convinced to never read it. Oh well.

>the overall tone is still pretty DC

IT GETS WORSE

Sandman seems like a good fit if she's into Mythos stuff I guess.

What the fuck is this even about?

I've been seeing threads with this same image about this almost every day now but have never heard of it.

I don't like manga myself either; I meant it in the sense that the narrative is serialized and continuous, written by a single writer with total creative control over where the story goes, so things don't get internally retconed and the story keeps going in a organic way.

I just used manga as an example because it's easier to explain, but it's also just like any Vertigo on-going, Hellboy, The Walking Dead (same author, even), etc.

>IT GETS WORSE

I meant the tone of the setting, not the story, stop whining.

I still think DC's tone is grittiness done wrong, but then again I'm in Sup Forums so I assume liking it is our raison d'etre.

Now that I look it up, it seems it went through a reboot? Which one do I read?

>over 2 million words
curse my short attention span.

It was written by a speedreader and designed to be speedread, and it's still worth reading even if you give up halfway through, it's neatly divided in novel-sized arcs.

It's not over 2 million words either, it's 1.6.

It's not a reboot, that's just the name of the arc.

Start at Invincible #1, of course.

Did Tattletale do anything wrong? Many people say she's a sociopath and that she handled the bank situation poorly.

Depends. Do you consider getting away a success or not .?

bump

in retrospect, bad move to have this thread so early, OP

TO SOON! THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO
BE ON THE WEEKEND REEEEEE!!!!! YOU FUCKED UP THE PSUDO-SCHEDULE OP!!!!

I think we can survive to tonight. Friday night is the weekend isn't it?

Alright thats it. What fuckin plan is going on here? It wasn't till a week ago there was suddenly a big push in Worm threads but not only here. I was at a writer meeting the other day and two guys told me topics about it were popping up on other sites.

Is he planning a sequel and a bunch of you are shilling to get a rise in interest?

its made up user this entire worm thing is just a elaborate things a couple of anons here made up and found some pictures of OCs from deavantart just go along with it and agree its the best superhero thing ever written

Scientists have discovered the existence of a parallel universe and it's earth is ruled by some bug girl.

I really think Worm threads should all have, in the body of the first post, a description of what Worm is.

>What's Worm?
Worm is a web serial, an online piece of literature which is basically a massive E-book.

>What's Worm about?
Worm is about an alternate universe where superheroes exist, and is notable for being in a realistic setting while not being overly edgy or grimdark.

>Is Worm Sup Forums?

Worm is Sup Forums because it relates to capes, and is unironically better than the vast majority of comics, cartoons, or movies about superheroes.

I think this is good. Any more and it becomes an OP for a general, which is the last thing we need.

Thor God of Thunder

this is some fucking conspiracy shit isnt it? I'll never read worms OP, so many people have been shilling it I'm getting suspicious.

YOU'LL NEVER GET ME LOSERS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

gooble gobble gooble gobble
one of us one of us

I'm going to throw my hat into the ring with this user here. OP, if your gf is really into history, lit, and mythology, Sandman is a really perfect fit.

NO. NEVER

worms armageddon was the best spinoff

FUCK OFF SHILLS

It's not a comic or cartoon, or related to a comic or cartoon. It's a long piece of written fiction that only appears on the web and is being shilled mercilessly on this site for some strange reason. It's probably got something to do with fetishes.

despite having so many different powers I don't think there's any good fetishes in worm. There were a couple of giantesses but they leave the story pretty early on.

Worm is bad and people keep shitting up mutants and masterminds threads on /tg/ with it. It's not /tg/ and its not Sup Forums go post it on /lit/.

I mean, it is /tg/, the author of the story made a /tg/ tier boardgame called Weaverdice.

It's just that it's targeted by a crazy shitposter and the janitors allow it.

/lit/ hates it for not being published, there has never been a successful thread there.

You sound like a horrible joyless petty shit.

Chill, I was being snarky while checking it out. Give me a break, DC has been shit lately and always.

It's actually not fetishy at all. My main reason for not having read it earlier was mentally linking it to fanfic and web comics, but it's actually a really solidly written piece of literature, better than most books on the subject being sold right now.

Grant Morrison's and Gerard Way's Doom Patrol runs

SUPERIOR

Foolkiller

Hellboy/BPRD

Runaways

Would we include Irredeemable in that list? Since it's basically the story of 'What if Superman was a mentally ill ass' but I'm not a big fan of it.

Now Incorruptible, the spin off, that was good.

How about

Superfolks

Miracleman

The Bounce

The Sentry/Sentry: Reborn/The Age of the Sentry

Promethea

Astro City

Danger Club

Maybe POWERS if OP is really desperate

OP here, thanks for the recs.

You think The Authority would be a good pick?

Soon I Will Be Invincible

How to Succeed in Evil/Consultation with a Vampire

Planetary more like.

I'm not sure about Astro City for your gf.

If she likes Worm then she's probably into the 'dark hero realistic' factor. Astro City is good, it's considered these days to be one of the few comics that do capes and supers right but it's mostly lighthearted. If you want to recommend it to her then have her read the Dark Ages saga part of it. The best part of Astro City is that it functions like an anthology series, it's all in the same universe but it always follows different stories of heroes, villains or even regular civilians. You can pick up and start almost any story since they're only connected via the fact it's in the same city or just universe overall.

I'd also add The American Way to that list.

The Savage Dragon

New Super-Man

Blue Beetle

The Superior Foes of Spider-Man

Grant Morrison's Seven Soldiers of Victory

Seaguy/The Slaves of Mickey Eye

PKNA/Duck Avenger (seriously, it's insane)

GLORY

Grendel

Don't forget Narwhal and Siberian. There's at least some exhibitionist stuff.
Squealer if you think trashy is a fetish and Bonesaw does some de-aging.

I admit I am reaching pretty hard.

what is this supposed yo be?

Yost's Scarlet Spider

Agents of Atlas

Marvel Boy

Thunderbolts

Iron Fist: The Living Weapon

Warren Ellis' Moon Knight

ZOT!

Zenith

Greyshirt: Indigo Sunset

The Maxx

Top 10

since making that post I remembered Echidna
there's some pretty straightforward vore

Oh yeah, and Heartbreakers mind control rape harem

I've heard rumors of a sequel planned, but not anytime soon. Author still has some other story to finish first.

>rumors
He straight up said that his next story will be a sequel and will start right after the story he's currently writing is finished, he also said the current story is about 90% done so the sequel will start soon.

Invincible is NOT like Worm.
Worm is at least somewhat competent.

Not that long. Twig probably only has about a month (or less) before it finishes, and there was absolutely zero downtime between Pact and Twig. It might take a while longer to prepare for Worm 2, but Wildbow doesn't like to do hiatuses.

I'm not a tremendous fan of sociopaths getting off scot-free and getting their way all the time.
Will Worm trigger me, Sup Forums?

Yeah, pretty much. The main character and her friends aren't the biggest ones in the setting but they hold their own

Aww.

Maybe? It's not like Taylor doesn't have to face consequences. She endures a lot of punishment but never so much that she can't keep fighting. It's not exactly a happy ending either. This story is more like "everyone suffers, all the time".

It probably will, assholes getting away with being assholes by abusing (figurative and literal) power is kind of a running theme.

Though there are a few pretty great moments of assholes getting what was coming to them.

You might want to read anyway. People get what they're coming to them for the most part.

>the sequel will probably ruin my headcanons
REEEEEEEEEE

Some of those clones seem to be pretty confortable with their positions.

A little. One of Worm's themes is rationality vs ethics. The question of when it's worth doing the right thing. Villains will get away with things when it's worth letting them.

Why is Regent so based?

Worm's not that great. I didn't feel an emotional connection to any of the characters at all.

He did better with Pact, since at least I gave a shit about Blake and his friends. Evan's cool even if he had a problem writing the tone of a child's dialogue at times. I hated Taylor and didn't really care about any of the struggles of any of the Undersiders. It didn't help that they're mostly not very sympathetic.

Sympathy and likabilty are overrated. At the end of the day having well rounded and fully realized charcters is more important and that's one of Worm's strongest aspects.

Not really. If you don't care about the characters then there's no reason to care about the story. I didn't have anyone to root for.

I really do think he improved with Pact, where the scale was smaller and focused on nicer characters. Blake's likeable and was in a pretty fucked situation, so I had someone to root for and odds to be tense over, since I was mad when he got fucked over and happy at his small successes. When Taylor got fucked over or succeeded at something I felt absolutely nothing, because I didn't care what happened to her.

The only really morally ambiguous character in a protagonist role in Pact was Rose, who I didn't much care for but I could stand it since everyone else was pretty good. I mean there's Maggie I guess, but I don't really blame her for the shit that happened. Everyone else were mostly normal people in a shitty situation trying to make the best of it, which was enjoyable. When you start bringing in people with warped mentalities in a protagonist role in a story I generally lose interest, since I lose the ability to relate to the character's decisions. Same reason I stopped liking Wheel of Time as Rand steadily went crazy for example. Also didn't really like it when Blake came back as a tree thing, but the story was more than halfway done at that point so I could handle it.

I care about the characters when I find them compelling and interesting. I don't necessarily read a story because I want them to win in the end but just because I want to find out what happens to them. Needing to like characters is pretty limiting.

ehhh even though Taylor has a kind of warped sense of morality, I was still able to sympathize with her. Like, she became way too fixated on saving one little girl, but at least that's a mostly noble goal to have.

Caring about characters means you like them, dumbass.

I meant "like" as in "sympathize".

>tfw weekend and barely any posters on now

The Reboot? Is answered with a "not really" there is a brief reality reset but it's undone very quickly and fairly obvious it was never going to be a long term thing.

I am fucking hype.

I want to know what the fuck Sleeper was that Khepri didn't think it was worth the trouble to bring him in.

Fuck you I hope Sleeper's power is never revealed.

He said he might tell us in the sequel. You concerned whatever it is will be dissapointing? It sound like Wild actually knows and just didn't want to tell.

>Worm is Sup Forums
Is it a comic or a cartoon though. Overwise I think it belongs it lit.
Nice choice for Invincible OP

anyone can remember when there is a wonderwoman and superman analogues living an american life with children and the uncle and son gather all the superheros to kill them

and she is fighting all the heros and it turns out to be all an illusion in her mind while they kill her. and the son blasts his own fathers face off

Jupiter's Legacy.

Sleeper has been confirmed to be part of the sequel. His power is unknown but it is apparently absolutely broken (someone described a bunch of capes, several of whom were really powerful, and all of them would die pretty quickly to Sleeper)

thanks man

Read Jupiter's Circle before you read Jupiter's Legacy part 2, good shit.

Brat Pack.

There's no way he's actually going to reveal Sleeper's power. It's too much of a meme at this point.