People seriously try to deny that Shakespeare was the Marvel of his era and his plays were like Marvel blockbusters...

>people seriously try to deny that Shakespeare was the Marvel of his era and his plays were like Marvel blockbusters, with tons of jokes for the unwashed masses
>when his plays literally have lines like "I FUCKED UR MOM"

youtube.com/watch?v=9Tcmb5nLpfM

Guarantee you a thousand years from now people will be analyzing Guardians of the Galaxy the same way we analyze Titus Andronicus.

Other urls found in this thread:

kashgar.com.au/blogs/history/the-bawdy-graffiti-of-pompeii-and-herculaneu
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lokasenna
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm not saving a screencap of your faggot-ass post for a millennium just to prove that you were right, you thunderous queef.

History will save it.

History will shave it, like the ape that you call "mom."

shakespeare was always for plebs, the fact that current day plebs cant even understand his work makes them OMEGA plebs

That isn't what that means in that context you dolt.

Thou art a base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy worsted-stocking knave; a lily-liver’d, action-taking, whoreson, glass-gazing, superserviceable, finical rogue; one-trunk-inheriting slave; one that wouldst be a bawd in way of good service, and art nothing but the composition of a knave, beggar, coward, pandar, and the son and heir of a mongrel bitch; one whom I will beat into clamorous whining if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition.

It is though.

Try reading Norse sagas, they pretty much have standard action movie plots and are full of quips.

This. Furthermore, his plays had jokes for plebs and some deeper philosophical musings for the one or two payricians in the crowd. The MCU just has pillowturds.

This. It's why the queen never saw his plays. She was too patrician

>those people who dont know the difference between a "One Liner" and a "Quip" and "banter"

fucking plebs

I could never fucking understand the dialect of his trash stories. What's the point in forcing kids to read his shit when it's all broken English?

>came here to say Shakespeare was a hack
>beaten to it

what the fuck, I always thought titus was another peplum what's this shit

>shakespeare was a hack
>i could totally do better

Christ I hate the way those people at Tumblr communicate. Everything is always MY OFFICIALLY NEW FAVORITE THING or NUMBER ONE THING FOREVER

Pleb, I only read ancient Roman graffiti.
kashgar.com.au/blogs/history/the-bawdy-graffiti-of-pompeii-and-herculaneu

>its another "i know better than literal experts on the subject and the aggregate opinion of hundreds of years of experts at that because im too many levels deep into misunderstanding post-modern and relativist thought" episode
Tell me all about how powerful your intellect is after you read some shitty opinion article you found through google. I need to know how literally everyone else is just so wrong except you.

>Loki's rap battle with the gods
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lokasenna

I'm surprised they haven't included this in a Marvel movie.

Shakespeare has always been kiddy shit that the english are too proud to admit to. He'd have been forgotten about by history if english hadn't become the new lingua frinca, so Engkand had to prop him as the "definitive playwright".

Racine is a thousand times the writer Shakespare will ever be.

The virgin Shakespeare:
>duuuuuude like what if a guy and girl want to bone, but like their parents don't want them to
>broooooo, wouldn't it be sooo cool to portray a guy who kills his King as morally unhinged, like that's never been done before right?
>whoooooww, like what if I made a play about fairies and shiiiiit, damn....
>brooooooooo old people ne like crazy you know, like and riddles help them see the truth
>uuuuuuh what if I made Brutus the good guy and shit?

The Chad Racine:
>written in superior french
>what is love, what is duty, what is family?
>writes plays about superior greek myths
>acted out by an actual theater troupe, and not just Shakespeare's wannabe writer friends
>Phèdre kino:
>>Ainsi que la vertu, le crime a ses degrés ;
>>Et jamais on n'a vu la timide innocence
>>Passer subitement à l'extrême licence.

Twitter is exactly the same so I'm not sure if that means there are a lot of Twitter people on Tumblr or a lot of Tumblr people on Twitter.

>lingua frinca

Theres a trick.

If you want to know if something is really clever; translate it into modern english.

Most of it sounds like it was written by halfwitted retards when uncovered from its elizabethan english acoutrment

pretentious frog detected

>*kills your husbando*
Heh nothing personal Phèdre

What do you mean?

I thought oedipus had the first YUR MOM joke

And if you want to make something sound classy, translate it into French.

Peter Quill: Vous mettez votre crotte dans mon lit, je vous rase.

Rocket: Oh, ce ne sera pas mon étron. Ce sera à Drax.

Drax: [rires] J'ai des crottes énormes.

I've actually bothered with Julius Caesar, McBeth, King Lear, The Tempest, and Romeo and Juliet so at least I have a vantage point from which to say this. Have you? Go read Racine and you'll imediately notice the difference in mastery of their arts. Racine doesn't pause everything each scene for a poop joke.

The honor actually goes to an ancient Babylonian tablet.

The translation across 35 centuries does the riddle no favors, but to be fair - I can at least see how that has the structure of something we might call a joke, in that it describes the punitive powers of a governor in less than flattering terms. But enough with these warm-up acts - let's get to the headliner, the ancient Babylonian "yo mama" joke. Here it is...or what's left of it, anyway:

>...of your mother is by the one who has intercourse with her. What/who is it?

>[No answer]

Yes, tragically, this no doubt devastating takedown of somebody's mother's sexual proclivities has been lost to history. Though I do appreciate Wasserman and Streck leaving it ambiguous whether the word is "who" or "what" the mother is having sex with - even in ancient Babylon, you just can't rule anything out when talking about one's mother. Or perhaps the original answer wasn't lost at all, and maybe the whole point is that nothing human or otherwise would ever deign to have ancient Babylonian sex with this poor unfortunate's mother. We may never know, but I feel confident saying this is the single most important question facing modern archaeology.

Incidentally, the oldest known joke is - and it makes me very proud of humanity to be able to say this - a fart joke. Here's a 3,900 year old zinger from Sumer:

>"Something which has never occurred since time immemorial - a young woman did not fart in her husband's lap."

It's just a throwaway line to demonstrate the fact that the character is a bitter asshole and a tasteless barbarian. Nobody will be quoting Marvel quips 400 years from now

>pretending that plots of Shakespeare are what make his plays good, when everyone knows he ripped them all off from other things and the actual things of value in his plays are the characters and quality of verse/prose

>Nobody will be quoting Edgar Allen Poe 400 years from now
- Rufus Wilmot Griswold

>Guarantee you a thousand years from now people will be analyzing Guardians of the Galaxy the same way we analyze Titus Andronicus
Yeah, probably. Very few people actually care about Titus Andronicus.

People can barely remember most Marvel quips now. You're not gonna have some historian 400 years from now saying "Remember the incredible significance of 'dance off, bro'?"

>Very few people care about a play filled with cuckoldry and rape.
Yeah, I don't think so.

Do you know why I namedropped Rufus Griswold? Because he was a critic from the 1800s who is now only notable for the fact that he insisted that Edgar Allen Poe would not go down in history. Wrongly.

My point is, you speak confidently but you're going to look like an idiot in a few hundred years. And by the way, Shakespeare was "barely remembered" until after his death too.

>people forget about Marvel movies before they get to the car
>i-in a thousand years people w-will be talking about them
lol

>the characters
Not really. Shakespeare is actually thought of so wistfully by theater folk because of the many liberties you can take with his characters, since many things remain extremely vague about them. Want King Lear to be an old mysoginistic asshole? Yeah, congrats play him that way if that suits you. We don't actually know if he is or not. Want him to be a wise hidden-widosm type man that genuinely cares for all his daughter? Sure, have him be that too just by changing how he and other actors act around.

>prose
Meh, at this point it's just Harvard graduates jacking each other off unveiling hidden word puns in his plays, and then worshipping Shakespare as God made incarnate because of them. Some verses can be extremely beautiful, but half of them we think are because they're simply too convoluted for us to grasp now unnecessarily complex he's made them sound. Racine revels in simplicity in the other word, such that modern french people can read him with ease, but it still sounds beautiful.

the first act of othello is iago telling a dude his daughter has been BLACKED and he's a cuck

Shkespeare was truly a genius ahead of his time.

The problem with Marvel isn't humor. It's the awkward quips. Humor is something that is organic and actually expresses characters. Quips is something manufactured and ruins the film.

This is nice and all but people accuse Wonder Woman of having quips when it doesn't.

Wonder Woman's humor works because most of it is the odd contrast between Steve and Diana. Though it does have that stupid scene on the boat with them talking about penises and vaginas.

Justice League is the prime example of a film ruined with inappropriate quips homogenizing characters into the same template of quipster. Batman was so out of character. Behind the quip cancer is Joss Whedon, a stunted autist manchild who has no comprehension of human behavior whatsoever.

This is one of the fallacies but I'm not nearly pretentious enough to remember which one.

Hey, at least it's not Bendis.

Check the Sup Forums sticky, it has a list of fallacies which nobody on that board has ever read. Maybe the image can be put to use for once.

I'm not going to do that because I'm not eating lunch in a college bistro.

I don't understand that response at all. Wouldn't you be LESS likely to do it in a college bistro? Because then a bunch of liberals would see you on Sup Forums.

I am criticizing the crutch of the fallacies. If I wished to rebuke that earlier user, I would have done so in my own words. But it is not worth the time of a busy shitposter. To use another's arguments would be as disingenuous as it would be a mental act of self-cuckoldry.

You do realize that Shakespeare only included low-brow humor in his plays to keep the scum entertained so they wouldn't start rioting and ruin the show for everyone

I never get tired of reading these.

>Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men's behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!

Women utterly BTFO

This, Shakespeare is overrated shit.

Yeah? Who do you recommend, then?

God

Marvel is literal garbage for machildren.

First off, that's not the Holy Bible.

Second, I read it.

I find it amusing that you know more about both old english and old french literature than I ever will and you're still really really dumb

This.
>spend all that time learning about so-called "highbrow literature"
>still speak like a complete memer who can do nothing but regurgitate buzzwords