Why is pic related so edgy? I couldn't even get through half of it

Why is pic related so edgy? I couldn't even get through half of it.

It's Warren Ellis. But despite the edgyness, it's still a solid comic with satirical (borderline prophetic) undertones.

Because you don't know the definiton of edgy. Go, read some Crossed and cry some more.

>tfw live in the timeline where the Smiler won because R63 Beast couldn't manage a campaign to save her life

You idiot, that's where we split from Transmet. We got The Beast and avoided The Smiler.

Transmetropolibabby is mad, eh?

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

It's OK to not like things user. But you read a cyberpunk book and discovered it had punk in it, and took you 6 trades worth to recognize it?

The beast was seeking re-election. Check again in 4 years.

10/10. Would pullitzer again.

am I the only one who hated the president election plot? I mean you have this over the top gonzo cyber punk city were the wildest social satyre can be shown and I loved it but instead of exploring its insanity we are stuck with "muah evil corrupt politic." It was just so generic and out of place for a wolrd where aliens sold their DNA because they are broken as fuck

*lol*

It's okay, Patrick Stewart, you don't need to practice for the role, Ellis already promised you could play Spider Jerusalem if it ever is made.

I was hooked for the first few issues.

Then I just stopped once that president focus kicked in. Hated it.

Sup Forums as a whole is just a den of shit at this point. Everything is either edgy or cute and "le comfy" to modern nu/co/

I come to Sup Forums to shitpost. If I wanted Sup Forums's opinion on anything, I'd kill myself for needing external validation of my tastes in reading material.

pic=Sup Forums

Transmetropolitan was considered for the longest time the best shit ever, old Sup Forums worshipped it's cock.

I think, right now, considering the political climate and the type of person that browses Sup Forums and Sup Forums, it's simply not relevant to the board anymore.
I don't think nu-Sup Forums is compatible with Transmetropolitan at all anymore.
You guys are simply not the target audience for it at this point.

OP here, I love cyberpunk, for example GitS or Deus Ex. I don't dislike Transmetropolitan because it's cyberpunk, but because it's edgy. You know what I mean. The stuff that Spider Jerusalem is saying, for example. It's so cringy and sometimes reminiscent of a teen rebel (especially the "woah bro fuck the government" type).
What the fuck is this, am I on fucking facebook? Get out with these kinds of comments, you fucking retards.

>It's so cringy and sometimes reminiscent of a teen rebel (especially the "woah bro fuck the government" type).
>What the fuck is this, am I on fucking facebook?

See what i mean?
It just can't cater to the current "alt" crowd, mostly because it wasn't a thing back then.

I actually liked the president election plot, even if it's generic. The other kind of format the comic had (one issue arcs) didn't fit the stories most of the time. Also I dislike every single issue in which it's only Spider narrating all throughout, with a "le deep" conclusion on the last page.

What are you talking about? Do you think I'm alt right or something?

Only 1 issue story I liked was the one about cryogenics. The rest I couldn't be bothered to remember.

>It's so cringy and sometimes reminiscent of a teen rebel

t. 21 year old who thinks he's an adult now

Is this bait or are you really this underage?

The cryogenics one was good, I agree, and I like how she appeared near the end with that set of pictures for Spider.

It might be because Brits are the largest fags in existence. I mean nationalist. They will be bigger fags than Americans on America or the Polish on The Witcher.

What OP is not telling you: he thinks everything except MLP is too "edgy"

Did you even read the comic, you cretin?

t. Underage American
Fuck off fatty.

lol wow the other dude called you out.

>pic related
>not edgy
Can't make this shit up

I really fucking hate millennials.

Great argument, retard

While I do like Transmetropolitan I don't agree with one point: That humans always be humans.

Seeing all this transhuman technology I could imagine that atleast one subculture would choose to enhance themselves so far that their thought processes are so utterly diferent from a baseline human. For example a group trying to attain autosentience.

Wasn't an argument, sunshine, was an observation.

>Nationalism
>In any way, shape or form bad.

Nope

Oh boy, here comes the millenials brigade.

Who do you think made the thread.

>Being Nationalist
>Millenial

nice b8

>Still thinking you're entitled to "arguments" when instead people can just laugh at you for being irrationally angry at a 20 year old comic that literally everyone who's not a Sup Forums or Sup Forums crossboarder like you read years ago

>92512806
I've got bad news, YOU are probably a millennial. Unless you're underage or in you mid 30s.

If this is edge then what the hell league are Shadow the Hedgehog and Dante in now?

A good way to spot a millenial is his inability to even use Sup Forums itself propely, for starters.
Another way is his trademark cowardice, where he'll try to cover up his own fuckups hoping no one will notice.

>92512938
Thanks for confirming your underage status.

You motherfuckers need more Hunter S. Thompson in your lives.

>people literally making up religions on the spot to blatently further their own agendas
>Spider calling them out on their bullshit
Sooooo edgy.

He didn't actually read any of it, just looked at the pictures.

>20 years old
2/10 made me reply

>Hunter S. Thompson
>"motherfuckers"
Underage faggot, I bet your favorite movie is Fear and Loathing

Transmetropolitan is probably one of my all-time favorite comics.

the satire is that Spider is dressed up like Jesus and this is a direct reference to when Jesus knocked over the tables at temple when they were selling stuff outside

It was in Sup Forums top 5 best comics of all time for years, consistently, in hundreds of personal top 10 lists.
It's unfortunate the userbase changed so much.

Who holds the rights to Transmet? Will we see some horrible reboot with not-trump shoehorned in hard?

Why do Nationalists love Christianity but hate Jews? Jesus was a jew. Half of the bible is strictly about jews.

Problem is, in a social climate where irony and cynicism are law, the satires from old start feeling flat and become irrelevant. Same thing happened to The Simpsons. At this point in history, Spider's complaints are about as obvious, he might as well be complaining that the air contains nitrogen.

That's obvious (I seriously hope there aren't people here that didn't recognize that, because it's one of the most known things from the Bible), but it doesn't change the fact that it's edgy.
What are you talking about? You mean you saw it often in 3x3 threads? As far as I'm aware, Sup Forums didn't have "top 10" threads. No board does, save for Sup Forums occasionally because of the newfag plebs using the shitty "top 10" template instead of making a 3x3.

All things considered, Spider would have hated Trump and it wouldn't be weird to see a notTrump in transmet at all.

>"it was le prophetic bro!"
Stop deluding yourself, the social happenings of the comic are extreme, we're not there yet and we will not be for who knows how long. Even the most down-to-earth plot, the presidental election, is filled with hyperboles.

>Half of the bible is strictly about jews rejecting the Messiah and sending him to the Romans because he won't yield them shekels and take over the land for them.
FTFY

Hey, that's actually pretty neat.

I think his language is the problem. It implies that he's referring to all religions.

Then again, I haven't read the comic and I don't know the context.

You clearly missed the point of Spider's complaints throughout the comic: His biggest gripe is that nobody cares about how bad things are. Each and every of his rants can be summed as "You idiots are getting robbed and exploited by other idiots and you don't even care to notice!!"

In that regard, yes, our society has reached that point and embraces that mentality with ironic gusto. It's how Brexit happened and why Trump was elected over Hillary.

That's the point, yes, and also that Spider searches for truth and wants the other people to do the same. I agree with him, but if we're looking at the specific situations happening in The City, then it's as far from reality now as it was back in its run.
>our society has reached that point
The society was always like that, do you seriously think that the masses cared before?
>It's how Brexit happened and why Trump was elected over Hillary
No, both of these happened because of different reasons. Trump was voted because Hillary was seen as a bigger evil by some, and Brexit was the result of EU being so tolerant with refugees, in a sense that they let them all in and now they're terrorizing the place (not everyone of course, but just look at the news, there's many examples of refugees attacking, raping, stabbing etc. people, and anecdotal evidence too, but I know people take those for granted).

>she appeared near the end with that set of pictures for Spider.

Maybe I didn't understand the timeline, but unless there was some kind of flashback going on she got the camera after the event she was supposed to have taken pictures of.

It didn't ruin Transmet, but it did hurt my affection for it.

Everybody posts this as "edgy" but ignores the fact that like three panels later Spider devolves into a mess crying about how a cult brainwashed his dad and ruined his family.

It's not edge for edge sake, Ellis does provide a solid basis for Spider's actions other than "muh intellectual superiority." He has a vested, emotional stake in this,and it's made clear he's probably overreacting because of very personal reasons.

>autosentience
What's autosentience?

But yeah, the foglets in the far future reservation came close, but when people really start fucking with human nature on a genetic level shit's going to get weird.

>The society was always like that, do you seriously think that the masses cared before?
Compared to the second half of 20th century, which was full of revolutionaries worldwide social upheaval, these past decades reek of defeatism and submission.

Didn't she get the camera before the event? The issue in which her cryogenic revival is shown chronologically happens way before Smiler's campaign. The only plot hole is that she would wait that long to send it to him. Yes, she knew he needs it, but she knew that back when Smiler's campaign was ongoing too. It was obvious that plot thread happened because of a shock value (coming out of the blue), and also it's paying an homage to one of the oldest issues. I didn't mind this though.
>crying about how a cult brainwashed his dad and ruined his family
Can't argue with this. He also mentions his parents one more time, I think. He's really secretive about his family, but his life must have been really bad. I can't help but sympathise with him, although I am annoyed at how many drugs he uses, even if it's understandable from a certain point.

That's because apathy became cool and then once even that wasn't enough anymore it devolved into straight up bootlicking.

Autosentience is total self-awareness. That means that you don't have an unconsciousness because you can you are aware of all of your internal processes.
The reservation issue was great. I specially liked how they mentioned in the far-future park that a lot of them did die because of all these experimentations
What issue was it again?

>apathy became cool
Can you elaborate?
>revolutionaries
They were present in most time periods, and they're in the minority. The masses don't give a fuck and are ordered around by the status quo of their time, which I guess is set by the revolutionaries mostly, or slow but sure changes in the societal norms.

>What issue was it again?
Issue 9, and I agree with you.
I wish the series was longer.

Woah, what's that pic from?
Aside the edit, i mean, it looks interesting.

Yaknow for as much as I like Transmetn I think Global Frequency might be my favorite Ellis.

That tells a lot more about you than about the comic.

And it's all bad.

>That's obvious (I seriously hope there aren't people here that didn't recognize that, because it's one of the most known things from the Bible), but it doesn't change the fact that it's edgy.

:/

>:/
Come on now.

see

My favorite Warren Ellis is still City of Silence, although Lazarus Churchyard is pretty good too.

It's very interesting how he went from City of Silence's "the future is terrible and will fuck you with knives" to Transmetropolitan's "Every new year is a little better".

Nice, i'll check it out right now.

It's funny that most edgelords are pissy atheists when a close reading of the Bible reveals Jesus as a pretty edgy guy himself. What can ya do.

I want triggered christfags to leave

>Jesus
>edgy
user...

Haven't gotten to either of those yet I'm ashamed to say. Does Desolation Jones get any better? I've read the first trade and found it to be remarkably dull.

>expected something over-the-top and lolsorandum
>reference to the Cleansing of the Temple
At least people are pushing your shit in for it

>Didn't she get the camera before the event?

Pulling up someone's comments on this:
"In Transmetropolitan #22, Spider gives Mary a camera. In issue #57, she tells him she used the camera to take pictures of Vita Severn's assassin being recruited. Her taking the picture presumably took place during or before issue #18, where Vita is killed. Issue #22, where Spider gave her the camera, therefore had to take place before #18, but Spider seems to be telling Mary in this issue that he is seeking revenge against the Smiler for arranging Vita's death in issue #18, which would imply it takes place after issue #18."

Not really, and then he stopped writing it when he lost the laptop with all his notes.
>tfw STEALTH TRIBES will never ever ever be released

You're right, I thought she gets the camera in her first issue, that's issue 7 I think.

Take note, this is minimalist bat.
7.5/10

Ah, hadn't realized that was part of the hard drive death. Fell and Doktor Sleepless were big losses man.

I want to live in the timeline where he didn't lose that hard drive.

Spider Jerusalem is one part Hunter S. Thompson and two parts Warren Ellis' wish fulfillment.

Warren Ellis originally wanted to be a journalist, but ended up writing comics instead. Transmetropolitan is Ellis living vicariously through the filter of Hunter S. Thompson in a dystopian cyberpunk future of fuckery and filth.

At some points you can clearly read some of Spider's rants as Warren Ellis giving a lecture to readers about his own existential crises and colorful venting on politics.

Whoever made this wallpaper encapsulated Transmetropolitian and Warren Ellis perfectly.

>all these triggered bitches

>edgy
Unless it's from Avatar Press or some underground comic seeing people on Sup Forums use this word is a joke.

Go read JSA or something equally bland

>references biblical Jesus throwing over tables in cleansing of the temple
>self-reflectively parodies the fact that Spider-Jerusalem himself acts as a sort of modern messiah for his in-universe fans (even if he doesn't want it)

Not gonna lie, Fell was a big loss for me.

Hard drive...right.

Because Trees and Injection haven't been dragging its feet...

Have a pity (you).

Warren Ellis' Avatar Press work is criminally underrated. That was what really made me an Ellis fan.

Ignition City
FreakAngels
Black Summer
No Hero
Supergod
Anna Mercury
Gravel
Doktor Sleepless

Man, those were great.

Pic is edgier than anything you'll find in Transmetropolitan.

>>apathy became cool
A lot of last the 20 or 30 years of culture has been around not caring, where have you been.

I know what you wanted to say, but where are your arguments for that?

I liked Supergod most.

I don't know dude, I'm replying on Sup Forums, not writing a academic paper, but just look at 90s slacker culture, 00s hipsterism and 10s "meme culture" (if you get what I mean) and you'll see how existence itself has become ironic and detached.

Just because we've gone into a heavy post-irony and whatnot with the memes doesn't mean existence itself has become ironic and detached. I can see what you mean, though, as I consider social networks to be the main reason for the state of things. They do propagate apathy because people just share images for validation, and don't want to do anything else (except their duties like studying or working).

Sup Forums is now for manchildren, they don't want adult focused comics, anything like this is edgy. That's how shitty this board has become.