Rian Johnson Backtracks on Rey’s Parents days the door is still open

I fuckin told you the big reveal is coming in IX. JJ will save us all.

>Anything’s still open, and I’m not writing the next film. [J.J. Abrams and Chris Terrio] are doing it. With all of these movies, Obi-Wan’s whole speech about a certain point of view always applies, so I think that you have to always think about the context of how information is given. But for me, dramatically, that’s why that reveal at that moment made sense."

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Kj3opk1QFTM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Open-Door
Yeah right. Rian you screwed over anyone who would try to change it. There is no way to change it now because it makes that not reveal utterly pointless. Then again everything in TLJ was pointless so why not add one more thing to the mix

At this point and after episode I I honestly don't care. Even if this was to set it up for episode 9 it honestly feels like they are backtracking and it was just to cover up the fuck ups from 8. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't and at this point after 8 I honestly just don't care anymore.

I can't believe they're giving this joker a trilogy.
What's wrong with Disney?

Not sure why this is news to anyone. Or why it would be considered a bad thing given the history of Star Wars. Anything can be retconned. Remember Darth Vader wasn't originally Luke's father and Leia wasn't his sister.

He willingly fucked Kathleen Kennedy isn’t it obvious.

I’ve been saying this since I got out of TLJ, JJ will pull a “yeah her parents were useless losers but her (((grand)))parents were galactic heroes!!!1!” in IX.

I'll just go ahead and ruin it for you: she's luke's daughter.

She’s ether a sky walker or kenobi. Kenobi would be the interesting route and would give them some material for the kenobi standalone movie. Making her a sky walker is the safe predictable route.

It's easy as shit to retcon this. You just say Rey's real parents gave her to the nobodies that Kylo thinks are her parents.

Then when it turns out she's the artificially combined DNA daughter of Wedge Antilles and Luke then you nerds will cum on command and buy your Star Wars doodads while normal people roll their eyes at the incestuousness of the entire saga.

Orrrr! A Jinn. Having this revealed to her by Neeson as a force ghost would be a great bookend and complete the ring theory with Qui-gon appearing in episode 1 and 9

>make a movie about failure
>the movies fails at everything
sounds about right

I always assumed Kylo simply lied to her

The problem is most people don't care about or even remember him.

chris terrio? Isn't he the genious behind MoS\BvS (please note I'm not being sarcastic). Fucking wasted on the conclusion of this worthless rehash trilogy

youtube.com/watch?v=Kj3opk1QFTM

This is the only part of TLJ I liked, the only thing I don't want a big reveal for. The only interesting thing about her is that she's a dumpster baby, if you just make her Luke or Obi-wan or Sheev or whoevers secret daughter it's just going to be retarded and make her even more of a shitty mary sue while probably fucking up another character in the process.

Fucking called it! Knew they would back tread with this dumb assholes fuck up. What a moron. This is pathetic on Disney’s part and dumb asses are going to eat it up.

Or maybe TFA and TLJ was just a bad dream. Luke wakes up and it's the comfy sequel made by George Lucas?

She's already a Mary Sue the fact that her parents were nobodies only makes it worse.

She's a Kenobi. I'm 100% sure. This Trilogy is about the Kenobi's saving the Skywalkers

Its about the skywalker legacy. Wait and see. You won't be surprised.

I can't wait for SJW babies to cry about how he ruined the strong independent woman narrative m

As opposed to the super secret daughter of another character hidden away until she needed to save the day? Her being abandoned by her asshole parents at least gives her some kind of problem to deal with, it should have been her arc in the first film actually accepting her parents were shithead who abandoned her and moving. Regardless it's still better than being super secret special Kenobi or whatever retarded fan theory you've embraced.

It is only left open now because they realized just how little story is left to tell with these characters and Rey's parents being nobodies is a dead end they can do nothing with.

If anything is clear about these movies it's about the end of Skywalker and the idea of important families and bloodlines in general. Just look at the main cast of heroes, Finn, Rey, Poe, Rose, all of them are nobodies who still apparently are heroes while Luke Kylo and others have failed. The last scene of TLJ with that dumb ass broom bitch just proves it even further.

I know this is hypocritical, since the OT was done this way, but I hate how there isn't a plan for this shit for the whole trilogy and they're making it up as they go along. At least with the OT, it was one guy who determining the plot/relationships.

This was the big thing the movie did that was supposed to be bold and daring and fresh and subversive. A ton of fans hate it and its being backtracked in under 3 weeks.

Boy, somebody really want to save his butt so he can keep his trilogy.

BRB, I gotta go see a 4th week Monday matinee of Star Wars. The energy is just right on a weekday matinee during the 4th week.

Well, we know it was otherwise for the most part, but Lucas always claimed he had the overall arc of the whole thing more or less imagined, from Ep. I to IX.

This. They should have either planned it all out from the beginning or just let the same guys write the whole thing instead of switching midway through.

What kylo said about her parents was probably true from a certain POV. But there’s always more to the story.

I couls see JJ saying that Luke or someone powerful erases all memory of her real parents from her mind so if someone like kylo did look in then they would think she was a nobody it’s erher gonna be a memory wipe or mind altering situation or just a straight up retconn.

Rey is the daughter of Skywalker. Now that both her parents are dead, she has nothing stopping her from following in her grandfather's footsteps.

Especially if she's Kenobi and Mandalorian. Explains a lot of her prowess.

>But there's always more to the story
Literally anything else added on to her parent's backstory takes away from the subversion and the implication critics want to laud the film with.

Here's an idea. It's possible that whoever force-wiped Rey's mind did it with such an effect that Kylo misreads the memory too. So yes he read her mind, but he read the wiped version that was planted there.

Atleast the OT has the excuse of it being the beginning of a franchise and Lucas had no idea if he'd get the chance to make all the rest of the films. Star Wars is an international phenomenon now and Disney knew they were doing a trilogy at the minimum, no excuse for them not to have an overarching plan.

BvS. Goyer did MoS. Terrio also did Argo and won an Oscar for it. I really do think he's a talent to reckon with after BvS.

I don't get how they don't attack these films with a cohesive stratergy. Why would you start writing the second film independent of the first, knowing nothing about it. How, actually.

That is possible but would also be fucking cheap as hell
>He DIED
>Next movie
>He was merely asleep!
You can't have the emotional moment and then remove the actual pay-off/consequences from it later on because you didn't plan anything out and just want to surprise people and be taken seriously

inb4 some brainlet brings up Gandalf

See the ep 9 will be an excellent movie.
I promise.

>Chris Terrio
Chris Terrio will leave due to "creative" differences. Screencap this. It will happen.

It's actually more mind-boggling when you look at how their capeshit universe has it down to a science.

A bald assertion isn't an argument. I've already refuted your representation based arguments. Give me something else.

>Reveal
That only works when it is planned, not pulled out of JJ's asshole.

>after 8 I honestly just don't care anymore.

This 100%. I never really cared about the new characters or settings but was mildly interested to see how things go in the new episode. After this movie, I legitimately don't give a fuck what happens to them next.

And that's something that has never happened to me with Star Wars. Even after AOTC I wanted to see Episode 3. I've given them 5 hours of my life, and they have not given me a single fucking reason to give one tenth of a shit about anything or anybody in this new series.

That's because they have someone who knows what he's doing in charge of the Marvel movies. Kennedy on the other hand is fucking incompetent.

This. Kennedy is using the franchise to push her agenda. She doesn’t give a rats ass about the story and characters as long as ticks her all boxes.

I don't know why people were stupid enough to believe Rey's parents were really no one and not important to the story.

>believing an autistic alt-right edgelord like Kylo

Are you saying Disney won't be ok when he inevitably turns Rey into Hera and Kylo into Zeus as they engage in metaphorical conversations about the state of jedi versus state?

Jump to conclusions much? This would be up to JJ to retcon anyway and you won't know that until 2019 unless he answers in an interview or something. It's an innocuous comment people are jumping on because it fits into their OMG DURR LAST JEDI SUCKS GUYS narrative

What if Anakin had a side thot?

>She doesn’t give a rats ass about the story and characters as long as ticks her all boxes.
But this is a good thing? This means just pass the SJW test and you can have a director tell the story and characters he want to? Is that not preferrable over Feige's "my way or no way" bullshit?

a lot of things are going to be backtracked on 9 they are playing bad cop good cop at this point.

>from a certain POV
Fuck off, Rian.

She is noone and its better for the story anyway

The problem is that they're doing a Star Wars movie every year now. You have to have some kind of overarching plan if you want all of it to work.

>masks are dumb and childish
>Kylo destroys his mask

>nose scars are dumb and childish
>Kylo now has a badass eye scar

>archetypal heroes are dumb and childish
>Luke is irresponsible and a coward

>lore is dumb and childish
>Snoke is no one and dies immediately

>"chosen ones" are dumb and childish
>Rey isn't special

>good magic knights are dumb and childish
>Yoda burns the Jedi scriptures

>bad magic knights are dumb and childish
>Knights of Ren don't exist

>aliens are dumb and childish
>Ackbar dies offscreen and only humans get screentime

>dashing pilots are dumb and childish
>Poe is a buffoon who gets his friends killed

Literally a normie director, who thought giving him control over THE space fantasy story was a good idea?

lol
>Liberal hollywood director of Disney films cannot commit to his own BS when pressed in an interview

JJ needs to make IX 3 hours. He needs to twist Lucasfilm's arm since TLJ and Solo: A Star Wars Story have damaged the franchise and people's pocketbooks. There needs to be no faggy shit either. Maybe then IX could be good. Of course JJ is a vampire that doesn't care about Star Wars or simply making an interesting film, so expect another SW turd.

...and Leia's.

Will he sabotage for Disney like Whedon sabotaged DC?

>Zack Snyder sends his regards

I love random plot contrivances and reading into lines that have literally nothing to them. Kys.

Go back to arguing with your audience on social media, Rian

>It's easy as shit to retcon this. You just say Rey's real parents gave her to the nobodies that Kylo thinks are her parents.
Even easier: Kylo was lying.

Star Wars was always supposed to be about the Skywalker lineage. Making her one would just slightly improve the nu-trilogy and give a believable reason for why she's so overpowered.

too late now

your only lore is milk

>Star Wars was always supposed to be about the Skywalker lineage.
It still is. In case you missed it, the big villain is a Skywalker.

Having Rey's parents being nobodies is an important reminder to the audience that the story is not restricted to Skywalkers and Solos. There is more out there than just these families. The Force works in mysterious ways.

They're gonna do this to LoTR. I'm trying to raise the alarm here, they're coming for the Silmarillion.

She is Anakin reincarnated. Anakin's mother was a nobody. :^)

lol. That would make this story awesome. Its a different universe after all, and a long, long time ago.

>Zack Snyder directs a Star Wars movie

What's the plot?

I just watched the film today and literally the only person whomst says Rey's parents were nobody was Kylo who is trying to manipulate her to join him anyway

Nobody even asks the question about who Snoke really is, its not that the big reveal was that they were nothing its that Rian chose not to do the revealing probably because he was too afraid to do so

In feiges defence his way he’s never made a bad movie it always seems to work and when it works the critics and fans love it.

>>Zack Snyder sends his regards
I bet he's furious about all the hypocrisies CRITICS are using to defend The Last Jedi after attacking his DC movies the way they did

Literally a sperg

The Hosnian System was not New York City full, of New Yorkers, on Earth, part of the Sol System.

He said he wanted to make one like Seven Samurai with a band of jedi protecting a small village (or maybe planet) against some threat. I think LucasArts rejected it.

No looked seriously at the content he was creating, so no one stopped him because they don't know what they're doing.

Kathleen Kennedy doesn't understand Star Wars, she saw all the female empowerment and thought it was great
Jar Jar is a jew, he only pretends to understand Star Wars but he pretends well, he just ripped-off A new hope

Rogue one was a mess but at least it had people working on it who understood star wars.

wewlad

In the context of that interview, he's clearly not backtracking. He says that, as far as he's concerned, Rey's parents really were nobodies and Kylo wasn't lying. But he's also being diplomatic about that fact that he's not writing the next movie, so has no say over whether someone retcons it or not.

nobody cares anymore

people are more interested in rewatching 1- 6, reading old EU books or playing their favourite old Star Wars vidya than next episodes

the magics gone

I think he's known for some time that the critics are out for him. He said prior to BvS he prefers not to get too obsessed over critics. That man made fucking Watchmen and had it score less than Thor 2 what the fuck.

this, inbreeding made Rey look like a Brit

>>>nose scars are dumb and childish
>>Kylo now has a badass eye scar
That was really fucking autistic on Rian's part. It was weird seeing so many people defend his reasoning.

>Zod's invasion is treated as the equivalent of 9/11 and people are still discussing it in the sequel
>we are shown many scenes where people react and talk about the ramifications of someone like Superman existing
>the Republic's downfall is brushed off and never mentioned again
>we have no idea how the people of the galaxy are reacting

I wonder what they meant by this.

The Clone Wars already did that too. Seven Samurai is good, but that whole setup is played the fuck out. Pick another fucking Kurosawa for a change.

So, Snoke's death could be fake, too? What was even the point of your shitty movie, Rian?

>mfw nobody even mentions that the entire republic got wiped out five minutes after it happened

>Maybe then IX could be good.
Nope. There will never be another good Star Wars movie as long as Disney holds the rights.

The best we can hope for is Marv Wars, where they apply the Marvel formula to Star Wars. And the Marvel formula is already getting tedious.

>The best we can hope for is Marv Wars, where they apply the Marvel formula to Star Wars.
This sounds fucking awful though.

Thank God they invented some bullshit planets and didn't touch Coruscant.

>pre-Last Jedi
>FUCK YOU JJ, RIAN IS GOING TO SAVE STAR WARS
>post-Last Jedi
>PLS SAVE US JJ, I'LL SUCK YOUR JEW DICK

I’m honestly surprised they didn’t crossover marvel and starwars for infinity war. It would be March made in heaven m. Imagine seeing Rey fight thanos.

>She’s ether a sky walker or kenobi.
>Kenobi

And thus fucking over Obi-Wans legacy as one of the most pure hearted and honest Jedi.
Yeah, I can see it happen.

It will be.

It. Will. Be.

The whole cave sequence where she wanted to know who her parents are would be even more stupid then.

I'd love to see Thanos tear Rey a new asshole

Disney's goal is to make as much money as possible. TLJ is underperforming and no one gives a shit about Solo. There has to be a point where they realize the only way to reach their desired profits is to do it the same way the most beloved part of the franchise was done, the OT. Don't make a movie every year. Get some guys with passion and a vision for these movies to write and direct them. That's how you get people to care about Star Wars, by making good movies.

>Having Rey's parents being nobodies is an important reminder to the audience that the story is not restricted to Skywalkers and Solos

That's the point, it SHOULD be restricted to the Skywalkers. They want to turn a generational epic into something akin to Marvel Capeshit Universe so they can shit out yearly movies until the end of time, and for that they need to open the position of hero to any nobodies because it's easier than coming up with new Skywalker stories. TLJ was about "killing the past" in the mouse's words because they're paving the way for what I said.

>i-it's just Coruscant you guys no big deal
There's thinking the prequels were bad movies and then there's JJ Abrams who shows absolute contempt towards the franchise