In early 2010, Watterson was interviewed by The Plain Dealer on the 15th anniversary of the end of Calvin and Hobbes...

In early 2010, Watterson was interviewed by The Plain Dealer on the 15th anniversary of the end of Calvin and Hobbes. Explaining his decision to discontinue the strip, he said,

"This isn't as hard to understand as people try to make it. By the end of ten years, I'd said pretty much everything I had come there to say. It's always better to leave the party early. If I had rolled along with the strip's popularity and repeated myself for another five, ten, or twenty years, the people now "grieving" for Calvin and Hobbes would be wishing me dead and cursing newspapers for running tedious, ancient strips like mine instead of acquiring fresher, livelier talent. And I'd be agreeing with them. I think some of the reason Calvin and Hobbes still finds an audience today is because I chose not to run the wheels off it. I've never regretted stopping when I did."

Fair enough, I guess.

but haters of the simpsons' longevity are just "angry nerds in their basements" according to their writers

>It's always better to leave the party early.
JUST WHAT ARE YOU IMPLYING??

We're implying he should have kicked the goddam football, Sparky.

Watterson's integrity is something every artist should have.

>tfw you never get invited to parties

This sounds more like Alan Moore would do.

I hope Jim Davis read this.

I doubt he cares. Watterson has some hang-ups about money but Davis doesn't. He wanted to create a money-making franchise and he was successful at it. Good for him.

You should have punched Lucy in the balls

Jim Davis doesn't need to. He's fully aware that he's a corporate sellout, and he's perfectly fine with it because he doesn't give a shit about Garfield. Not everybody who makes comics has to be an artist.

Now where could my pipe be?

He's completely right.

It's an Onion article. I"m not entirely sure why i recognize it , but it is an onion article.

Is this from The Onion?

Sounds like something a pathetic, spitefull person would do.

Yeah, like that Kelly guy. His cartoons are so dumb!

You're not taking that seriously, right? It's just a joke article.

>the Onion tricks another idiot

If only TV series writers knew and understood this...

This man is too good for his industry, holy shit if only more cartoonists got this.

Is there anything good left in the funnies?

1986 Interview, during the first year of Watterson's syndication.

>syndicate wanted Bill to put Robotman in the strip

>What about Jim Davis?
>Uh...

Nope.

Yes, it's from the Onion.

>Do you see yourself doing this forever?
>I'd like to, yeah
How sweet.

I always wonder if at some point I may have come across Bill Watterson. He lives somewhat nearby my house here.

He did those Pearls Before Swine comics for a week which were great. I think if he ever wanted to come back, a art book or something would be great like ideas and things he's thought about since retiring.

There was supposed to be some sort of documentary about him but I haven't heard of anything about it in a while.

>Kafkaesque

he is the only one who gets it
you only make it once, there is no ride it as long as you can nonsense, there is no great comeback nonsense.
This is comic strips, its not long fantasy sagas people wait years for the next book, hell you arent even suppossed to read a ton of them in one sitting but just enjoy a new one here and there.
Making them movies is also a stupid idea, these characters are meant to be featured in three pannels or so strips not a two hour long movie

Honestly people today have this adversion to letting thigs go, that kind of shit gives us episode 7

What is the Cow Tools version of Calvin & Hobbs?

Printed newspapers are dead. The funnies have moved on to the internet and you need to follow or subscribe to specific comics. The good ones don't try to group up because that usually doesn't work.

They're called webcomics.

Episode 7 was good, though.

This. Rosianna Rabbit is the Calvin and Hobbes of the internet age.

Thanks for dumping this user

I wouldn't really call it the new Calvin and Hobbes but it's definitely a good webcomic.

Like he said, something Alan Moore would do do.

Calvin and Hobbes was aimed at the heart. Rosianna Rabbit aims at another part of you.

>a mary sue
>a literal violation of a 'show not tell' rule
>a non-threatening villain
>a fanservice character
say what?

It depends on how you approach them.

Hi Hollywood studio execs
Hello Scott Adams...

Are you reading this?

Yeah, they're really not comparable. Davis always was in it to make something that'd give him bank and he obviously succeeded at that. I think people compare C&H and Garfield a little too much. They both star an orange feline. That's where the similarities end. The authors were in it for completely different things.

Doesn't change that early Garfield is still really, really, really fucking funny, though.

The gut? I mean she DOES make that double mega cheeseburger look mighty tasty.

Haha!
Look at him!
Look at him and laugh at this stupid idiot!

they're not half wrong

It was flawed but I liked it.

Bill then went back to spending 4 hours of every day peeking out his curtain to make sure the crazy stalkers weren't there (they never are).

>a literal violation of a 'show not tell' rule

my favorite Sup Forums meme

>tfw you will never hurl a brick through Watterson's front window with your Calvin x Hobbes slash fic taped to it

I read that he goes out into the woods to paint with his dad

could you show me a moment in FA where Finn's character development happens and out of an inexperienced fighter who's terrifired at the sight of blood he becomes a relatively efficient murder machine with no second thoughts about killing his former comrades?

Probably around the same time a farmboy became a killer of special forces and a princess who went to boot camp once kept her head in a war zone?

>Killing civilians in cold blood
>Fighting for your life against dudes who want to murder you.
I mean, I didn't hear a difference.

Can you be a corporate sellout when the point was to be corporate in the first place? People use that term erroneously far too often

I find your opinion to be very wrong

>being terrified in a battlefield
>then suddenly not being terrified in a battlefield
Yes, you were saying?

Something is far more believable when you see it in action than just having to take someone at their word because they told you so

They didn't even tell it in Finn's case tho. They implied that the change happened automatically.

>a farmboy became a killer of special forces
this was conveyed in a more convincing manner where the murder of the people who raised him motivated him to fight against the people that did it
with Finn, it's basically what, a murder of his stormtrooper friend motivated him to murder more stormtroopers?
>a princess who went to boot camp once kept her head in a war zone?
now imagine if they told you that said princess actually was really bad there and showed considerably worse results than everybody else and then threw her into a battlefield anyway

I guess that's sounds like a good way to spend your life

>and then
and they*

I believe this is the image you're looking for.

In the ham helmet

>conveyed in a more convincing manner
opinions

i can buy an untested recruit freezing up in his first combat deployment, and then eventually falling back on his training under adversity (which he was under a LOT of before facing off against his comrades) over a random fanboy getting mad enough to kill trained soldiers without hesitation

>it's basically what, a murder of his stormtrooper friend motivated him to murder more stormtroopers?

denseness

finn thought killing a helpless village was unethical, which with his friend dying made him desert, he's fighting in self-defense against people he KNOWS wants to kill him, not civilians

it's not very deep

In any case

>making dumb enough arguments that you make me defend TFA, the mediocrity of mediocrities

I am so disgusted

t. butthurt grownup superhero fan.