New Dark Crystal Series

nerdist.com/dark-crystal-henson-netflix-tv-series/

youtube.com/watch?v=RudzOqb-fRc

Teaser link: youtube.com/watch?v=OGzVYyV_Jsg

"Now that’s how you bring back a beloved children’s film! This morning, Netflix revealed that they’re bringing back Jim Henson and Frank Oz’s seminal 1982 film, The Dark Crystal, as a television series–puppets and all. The new series, titled The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance will begin shooting this fall, with Louis Leterrier (Now You See Me, The Incredible Hulk) at the helm. According to Deadline, the 10-episode series takes place decades before the original film, and will include brand new, “state-of-the-art creatures” created by Jim Hensons’ Creature Shop and Brian Froud, the conceptual designer behind The Dark Crystal.

And though we’ve still got a ways to go before we see any new footage from the show, Netflix has shared a teaser that explores how these incredible animatronics are brought to life:

For those unfamiliar, The Dark Crystal is a dark children’s fantasy film that is considered a masterpiece by many for its masterful use of puppetry, Brian Froud’s distinctive concept art, and Trevor Jones’ incredible score. Told entirely with animatronic characters, The Dark Crystal tells the story of a dying world called Thra, and all the mysterious creatures that inhabit it. Thousands of years ago, the titular magic crystal cracked, and two new races appeared: the absolutely terrifying Skeksis, who used the remaining power of the Dark Crystal to keep themselves alive, and a group of gentle wizards, the Mystics. In the film, two young Gelflings named Jen and Kira must make their way across the land of Thra with the last remaining shard of the Crystal, the last hope of saving their world from the Skeksis."

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DozfOmJqxHY
youtu.be/RudzOqb-fRc
youtu.be/rPv2I-mArD8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

"Since The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance is set many years before the events of The Dark Crystal, we probably won’t see Jen and Kira, but Netflix might bring back the Emperor Skeksis, who dies in the original film, and other familiar characters like Augra, the shrewd astronomer who guards the crystal shard. Given that the Henson Creature Shop and Brian Froud are back for the sequel, we hope they create new characters that can stand on their own with established favorites like Fizzgig."

>MFW sudden high potential series appears without warning
I had zero idea this was coming. Netflix is the only way this can get out, way easier than getting into theaters I guess, but I really wish this were a movie instead.

I'm interested.

TRIAL BY STONE!!!!!!

The sheer brass balls on Jim Henson when he made the original, man:

youtube.com/watch?v=DozfOmJqxHY

Five Goddamn Years!

Who exactly will be doing the resistance, anyways? The Gelflings? I thought they were actually the lamest part of the Dark Crystal, and I'd rather see more Skeksis and the Mystics, or more original fantasy races.

Awesome. I loved the 3-volume comic that came out a couple years ago, excited and hopeful for this.

Well I'm hyped. I am getting an erection just thinking about the fucking LORE that's going to be present.
Mystics are dope as fuck, and I'm ready for more of the little potato people. I'm sure the Gelflings will be the focus, and I wonder if they will have an established relationship with the Podlings and Mystics.

I'm hyped as fuck for this, I'm gonna have to reread those graphic novels prequels by Boom I wonder if the Netflix show is gonna reference them

I'm looking forward to this. I hope that they don't screw it up.

Shit that no one asked for and was never needed thread?

youtu.be/RudzOqb-fRc

We failed you Jim!

There's only one thing that disappoints me about this.
And that's that Jim won't be present for it.

>Given that the Henson Creature Shop and Brian Froud are back for the sequel
Aight I'm excited

I need to watch the movie again. It's been too long.

It surprisingly still holds up except for the elves, those always look atrocious.

>Get sequel as a comic
>Suddenly prequel

So is it going to go into more detail of the urRu and Skeksis establishing themselves after Creation Myths, or jump right into the Gelfling genocide?

I saw the movie for the first time only recently, it was fantastic. Really happy to see this current trend of revivals brought it back to life

its like every childhood pet I ever loved is being dug up and poorly resurrected, but I'm expected to pay for this poor 'adaptation' like its the real thing.
First Bunnicula, now this.

I'm not so sure about this.

I mean in this age of computer imagery is there still any room for the good old fashioned puppetry that gave the Dark Crystal its unique charm and personality? Laika has been struggling for years and their movies barely manage to break even.

Are they just gona bumrape a classic with CGI?

Del Toro's movies do great visually and they're mostly practical.

I am pumped!

>Stranger Things
>Voltron
>HTTYD
>Now Dark Crystal

Netflix has yet to disappoint me. If this ends up a success then will they do a Labyrinth series?

Watching that scene again.

youtu.be/rPv2I-mArD8

Made me realized how soft kids shows are these days.

Who would replace David Bowie

It doesn't have to take place of the current time of the movie. It could do like what Netflix is doing with the Dark Crystal. Maybe like how a younger Jareth became the goblin king.

It could always be resistance in the form of the Skeksis opposing reunification with the urRu.

>Please show us that thing with the balls again
>OOOOHHH! Amazing
>Please be our king

I...AM...STILL...EMPEROR

I read balls and I thought you were referring to Bowie's crotch bulge.

>Dark Crystal actually gets a new series

Mildly hyped.

ALSO

ELRIC
WHEN?
WHY HAVEN'T WE GOT ONE YET?

Jareth always did had a way with handling magical balls.

This post right here made it real for me. I can't believe this is happening! I'm hyPE!!

I'd die if that was the case.

Goblins aren't really know for being smart after all

The previous Goblin King retained power for millennia through his detachable fingers trick but was upstaged by Jareth's juggling ability.

Timeline suggests possible overlap with the manga.

hMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

and how

Fraggle Rock when?

Well HBO has put some HD restoration of it on their app...

>Linkara was the Chamberlain all along
They even look alike

I hate your whimper

Wonder if we will see Aughra's son and Aughra before she was burned.

Farscape when?