Luke's behaviour in TLJ is a fitting continuation of his arc in the OT. Discuss

Luke's behaviour in TLJ is a fitting continuation of his arc in the OT. Discuss.

Continued from

Hey guys, Mark Hamill here. I just wanted to say I love this back and forth.

>Luke's behaviour in TLJ is a fitting continuation of his arc in the OT.
it's not.

No it wasn't.

maybe if you're really good at mental gymnastics
in which case i recommend r/starwars

Luke resisting the urge to kill Ben, who threatened everything he and his friends have worked for and sacrificed is actually more out-of-character than considering killing him in the first place.

There's no way he wouldn't sacrifice a single life for the rest of the galaxy. Hell, he killed a bunch of innocent dancers and slaves on Jabba's Barge to save just two of his friends.

>Luke's behaviour in TLJ is a fitting continuation of his arc in the OT

Nope

It was his punished arc.
It has nothing to do with his OT arc, but it's a good arc.

It was fitting but I can see why sw nerds are seething. One of the most kino character developments honestly.

>Luke's behaviour in TLJ is a fitting continuation of his arc in the OT

>There's no way he wouldn't sacrifice a single life for the rest of the galaxy.

Not killing Vader already proves this wrong. Stop posting this, you look like a fool

Stop falseflagging Bill. gb2 /mlp/, /x/ or Sup Forums

I could see complaints if they actually understood what really happened. As stated previously:
>tfw rian made kylo so persuasive and believable that people actually conflated his version and luke's and were unable to tell the false narrative from the man who was their hero for 40 years
Jesus Christ, the man is a fucking legend. He made a villain we've only known for 3-4 hours make you doubt a man you've trusted in your entire life. That's unheard of.

fuckkkkkk

That's...actually a fair point. Luke does just leave all those people to die. Fuck. There was a chef on that barge, someone must have been mixing the drinks.

I mean it's not even like the Death Star when it's so big collateral damage was unavoidable. This thing was basically the size of a bar, and we never saw anyone jump off. No lifeboats or anything.

Fuck Luke, at least give them a chance. Jabba got like 3.

Tits or GTFO

If it really is you Mark, I feel bad for you m8. You did a good job in TLJ regardless, my respect for you has increased. But they did you dirty as fuck. They did you dirty.

>JEDI MUST DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>Welcomes you in Jedi robes
What did Jake Skywalker mean by this?

"There's still goodness in him" - OT
"I saw in him Snoke... and something much darker" - ST

Like it or not, Kylo is more evil than Vader, which kind of makes sense because Vader was born of both the light side and the dark side. Kylo doesn't have that benefit, and has more room for the dark side in him.

All of you people trying to go frame by frame and analyze the exact moments of emotion and debating intent to kill verses actually going to kill and trying to empirically prove that Luke was or was not going to murder his father are all missing the point.

Luke is badly written in this movie because he made a single mistake and gave up forever.

Luke did not give up on his father, and in the end he was right.

Still, show us those man titties

>using fucking harry potter and not star wars
unforgivable

Vader actually DID commit those crimes, and Luke didn't kill him, what now?

Look at the average iq of a Sup Forums poster and its easy to see how they would misinterpret it. This movie made me look forward to the next one in the series but then I read that it would be J.J. Oh well.

This, Kylo is 3/4th Dark Side while Anakin was 1/2th, maths don't like, Kylo is more evil.

back to r/starwars you pseud fuck

It's not clear they're supposed to be unreliable narrators because the execution is so bad and the scene is so poorly lit you have no idea what is going on, that's why most people got the first scene stuck in their heads, not that the second scene played that much differently or is less character execution of Luke

That's not how the force works.

Why does everyone hate that Luke went into exile? Yoda and Obi Wan did the exact same thing.

>fitting continuation
This is beyond the desperation point...

You ever heard the expression show don't tell?

"The future always in movement is" Some dude Luke listened to once

>Luke is badly written in this movie because he made a single mistake and gave up forever.
1) He didn't make a single mistake, he's made plenty.
2) This mistake was arguably bigger than any he'd previously made so he realized that he ought to retire while the galaxy still held him in esteem.
3) A myth is much more powerful than a single man. Luke realized this is what made the Jedi so strong for so long, while the men who actually were Jedi just fucked things up for the myth. By the time of the PT, the Jedi's apathy and hurbis were actively dismantling the heroic myth, so much so that Palpatine was able to take control. Luke realized the error and wanted to ensure the myth of the return of the jedi remained a hopeful one.

This. It's not even a complex story, but mouth breathers here still aren't able to comprehend what's going on.

Shut up, Han, you're dead. You fucking amateur.

Because it's not the kind of action that is in character for Luke Skywalker.

>Yoda and Obi Wan did the exact same thing.

What a retarded argument.

Force is midichlorians, so biology, and biology is just science, which is math. So Force is Math, deal with it you racist Maga fag.

Because they are autistic retards that don't understand star wars but still feel the need to complain about it.

>Kylo is more evil than Vader
How is Kylo more evil than a man who choked out his wife causing her to die in child birth, killed children in AoTC and RotS, and helped take down the Republic? Kylo still has the light side of the force in him because both Snoke and Rey comment on it.

A bald assertion isn't an argument. I've already refuted your representation based arguments. Give me something else.

Christ you are retarded.

>again with the myth shit
Luke didn't realize shit, he went to that planet to die, fucking watch the movie you're defending before coming with this bullshit explanation.

>It's not clear they're supposed to be unreliable narrators
Haha. Holy fuck, look at Luke's face in Kylo's tale and tell me you weren't supposed to understand it was a lie. It just proves you were open to believing Kylo was telling the truth because he was so well-written.

I hope to God you are a bot. This is pathetic.

You are incorrect. Hamill himself has said that Luke would never give up.

Writing a story in which Luke gives up is writing a story in which Luke is out of character.

>Yoda and Obi Wan did the exact same thing.
except that did it to wait for something, Like to grow up, not just to fuck off and die.

>last thread
>350 replies , 69 posters

>this thread heading the same way

What the fuck is with you people, get the fuck back to r/starwars.

This movie has the fandom of Ghostbusters if they somehow treated it like the fandom of Batman Vs Superman, like every scene is artistic genius but it's actually a very constructed poorly written movie by retards that don't even understand the source material

Potential, man. Potential.

I know, I was as surprised as you, Disney would actually allow Rian to reference the PT.

>bald assertion
>What actually happened

You've got nothing

iss becaus looke wa supoed to desthoy the filsth olda wiff his lasel swold

#notmyluke

Your confidence is drastically delusional, and disproportionate. A clear indication of someone lacking self control with neither an accurate sense of self awareness. Someone prone to imitate others, and depend on others to feel gratification no matter how dishonest, or false.

No you I explained to you why. Unreliable narrators is not something in any Star Wars movie so when people saw it the first time it got stuck in their heads.

The second time was also pretty poorly lit and it didn't play out that much differently so most people got the first image stuck in their heads.

It's bad filmmaking, not good writing

His arc mirrors and rhymes with his father's. Started out as a young promising hero destined to defeat evil. Became war hero. A tragic event caused him to question everything he believed and turn into a bitter and jaded old man, who decades later is confronted by another, young hero who pulls him back to light. He defeats evil once more in a final act of heroism before passing on.

Luke didn't strike down one of the biggest villains the galaxy ever faced, one that for 20 years killed, destroyed, decimated and genocided entire planets. Luke not killing Kylo, someone he only sensed bad in him, makes sense, that's not the out of character part.

In your opinion. In Hamill's opinion. Until we hear from Georgie-boy himself, it's all opinion. And not even then because Luke's future is not his property anymore.

That is a lot of words to say nothing.

The prequels are no longer canon

>Unreliable narrators is not something in any Star Wars movie
Jesus christ, neither was spooky force dreams until ESB. Your blind allegiance to the past has clouded your eyes to storytelling potential.

>In your opinion.
It is a fact that Luke did not give up on his father. It is a fact that Luke would not give up on his nephew.

The fact that he did the latter means that he was written out of character.

LMAO a kid having emo thoughts in private is not more evil than fucking Darth Vader.

>Jake's behaviour in TLJ is a fitting continuation of his arc in the OT. Discuss.
It isn't, it's a weird abrogation of his arc in the OT.
He repeats the mistakes he made in the OT despite the experience of what goes wrong and how to resolve it in the first place and ends up dying because of it. Everything that happens involving him is something he's experienced first or second hand but he goes and does it again anyway
It makes acts like the character arc from the OT never happened or at best makes it pointless and irrelevant and I don't know why other than for contrivances of Disney writing to untie the neat bow of the old series and get the new stories and characters in. He learns nothing and ends up becoming a parody of the themes of irreverence for lore-history that Disney are introducing

>Hell, he killed a bunch of innocent dancers and slaves on Jabba's Barge to save just two of his friends.
In open combat.

>Potential, man. Potential.
So Luke is willing to kill a sleeping child who may do something instead of a man who has done tons of wrong? And this is still in character for Luke?

The events of the prequels are referenced in TLJ

>Luke realized the error and wanted to ensure the myth of the return of the jedi remained a hopeful one.
"Why did you think I chose the hardest location to find in the entire galaxy? I came to this island to die!" - Luke Skywalker, 4D Chess Champion

Because the reason behind the exile is completely different. Say a venomous snake bites a girl and somebody chops off her arm to stop the spread and save her life. Then say another guy chops the arm off a girl just for fun. Why would you be mad, they did the same exact thing?

>wait for something
The Jedi train people from a young age, they initially refused to train anakin because he was too old, and look what happened.
So you're saying Yoda and Obi wan decided to hide out and only train Luke once he was twice as old as anakin (again, look how that turned out) and only because Luke randomly stumbled across them?

>It is a fact that Luke did not give up on his father
Because he still had good in him.
>It is a fact that Luke would not give up on his nephew
That's a bold assumption and false in light of recent events. Was Vader reincarnated in Ben?

you got absolutely btfo holy shit hahaha

Didn't expect anything other than dishonesty from you disney shills, but visions you know are visions are very different from unreliable narrators.

Once you start down the dark path forever does it dominate your destiny.
If they want to argue that Luke gave into darkness at times in the OT that's fine. Luke pulling away to the island was not my problem with the movie.
The choice to not have him stand up at the end and look at the twin suns setting ready to go back out bothered me more than his quick decision to kill Kylo Ren, and his choice to pull away.
I can name tons of things in that movie that were stupid choices by the writers. The initial flaws of Luke having to fight the dark side in himself were not one of them as far as I'm concerned.

Not even the person you replied to lol

I don't know much about the old EU but didn't people have similar complaints when the books came out?
That the fact that things went to shit again diminished the happy ending of the OT.

I think george lucas (or someone else) said that if things went well it would make a boring sequel story.

I sometimes wonder if they got rid of the jedi order because they thought it wouldn't work. That having a whole order of jedi would make things difficult to write. That and they wanted it to feel like the OT rather than the prequels.

Out trots the "shill" claim, you know you're out of arguments when that comes up.

one exist in reality, and the other don't?

same lol

kys disney shills

Anakin didn't become an asshole just because he was trained at an older age

Kylo is shown to have good in him countless times. He doesn't kill Leia, kills the TIE fighters that shot at her and he kills Snoke.

There's nothing to discuss as you just made a claim without argument, therefore it is invalid.

My counter-claim is that it NOT a fitting continuation because in the OT Luke acted heroically. In Disney Wars he's a milk-slobbering near-assassin. OF A SLEEPING KID. This is fucking unheroic, you dimwit.

Doubt leads to fear. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. He has done nothing but exemplify the dark side. His lust for power and anger for being underestimated is what killed Snoke.

>instinctually wanting to snuff out an evil that could destroy the galaxy is fucking unheroic

>Ben Solo was a kid when he turned to the dark side

he's also 30 years older

anakin also behaved heroically in the prequels

then suddenly he's darth vader! SAD!

Meanwhile Anaking mercilessly slaughters a room full of cowering Children, children who came out behind the chairs they were hiding because they saw a man they knew and trusted. And he killed them all. This isn't even the first time he killed children either

>I don't know much about the old EU but didn't people have similar complaints when the books came out?
>That the fact that things went to shit again diminished the happy ending of the OT.
No. People complained about some things here and there but fundamentally the Galaxy was not a perfect and happy place after rotj in the EU.

The war to retake the Galaxy from the remnants of the Empire lasted twenty years after Return. Many Imperial Warlords and various generals and Admirals who were now leaderless declared themselves rulers of their own little sections of space. It was a long and grueling battle and they (Luke and the others) had to fight many opponents, like thrawn as well as the occasional alien crisis, difficult diplomatic situation and many other problems along the way. They lost much along the way, including friends and family like Chewbacca, but they never gave up and they were always striving towards a better Galaxy.

In the new Canon, the entire Empire was defeated in a single battle 2 years after rotj, and then exiled into deep space.

>I NEED TO GET A MIDICHLORIAN COUNT

>muh unreliable narrator
Too bad that Luke fucking Skywalker acted unheroically and undignified otherwise in this movie (milk-spilling, hidding away instead of helping his friends). It fits the interpretation that TLJ commits character assassination to make room for the new heroes.

Which, for all of those here who are familiar with /tg/, is nothing new to us. Games Workshop set the precedent with Age of Sigmar shitting on Warhammer Fantasy Battle and its setting to introduce a new game/game world design.
And you assholes try to apologize this kind of shit.

lol

Anakin was born of the light side and the dark side. Kylo was born of a pirate and a diplomat. What you do does not always correlate to what you're capable of.

When did Kylo ever lust for power? He seemed to want guidance more. When his master turned on him he went to Snoke. When he realized Snoke was just using him that's when he killed him.

He was a good friend

>I killed this kid because he might, maybe, become evil and threaten peace
>Hero

>This, Kylo is 3/4th Dark Side while Anakin was 1/2th, maths don't like, Kylo is more evil.
This arguing on a level that is not worth responding too.

oh ok, thanks

It is part of the reason. The train them at a young age because it is easier to get them to let go of their emotions. They couldn't do that with Anakin.

So to say that Yoda and Obi Wan were waiting for Luke to be old enough to train, and then only training him when he is twice as old as Anakin is retarded.

>then suddenly he's darth vader! SAD!

Are you actually retarded? The prequels take their time showing Anakin's fall to the dark side and do a much more convincing job of it than the sequels with Kylo Ren

>milk-spilling
The greatest cowardly act there has ever been.
>hidding away instead of helping his friends
Up until 1 day ago (TFA) his friends were doing pretty good without him.

Anakin was born when Sheev and Plagueis shot their force cum into space. How is that light side?

we don't actually know his age, the artbook states him as teenager

>i'm an almighty jedi but i don't trust the force enough to show me a person's potential for good and evil

>Luke realized this is what made the Jedi so strong for so long, while the men who actually were Jedi just fucked things up for the myth.

I'd say people like Qui-Gon's kept them afloat while the myth kept fucking things up, actually.