Could we have a thread about dumb 90s comics...

Could we have a thread about dumb 90s comics? I recently have an interest in all the ugly and stupid designs you don't see in today's comics anymore.

Other urls found in this thread:

inkstuds.org/inkstuds-on-the-road-part-12-rob-liefeld/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>ugly and stupid designs
Fuck off numale faggot! Nineties design is top tier.

This thread is off to a good start.

Anyway, Adam X-Treme will always be the best/worst example.

Exactly. I admire the crass and over-the-top feel compared to all the restrained and clean shit you see today even if the art was kinda poopy.

>tfw you'll never party to the extreme with Rob, a case full of cocaine and a life-sized replica of Badrock

This an X-Men, Wildstorm and early Image thread now.

I'll post some of my favorite 90s shit

Is there a more 90s image than this? It's got everything:

>Rob Liefeld art
>Classic characters mutated into impossibly-statured anatomical nightmares
>shitty coloring
>a total lack of self-awareness

Shit, wait. There aren't enough pouches for it to be truly EXTREME

I grew up with 90s comics so it's hard for me to hate them. Death and Return of Superman, Wildcats, Ultra force. Good fucking times

This moron always stands out to me as the most 90s thing ever. I can't put my finger on why he's the MOST 90s out of everybody, but he's always what I think of.

its amazing how bad wildstorm was and when they got iconic writers the reversal was so extreme that they were consistently publishing quality work.

Even managed to make some of the characters iconic which is impressive

What other characters had a fucking baseball cap as part of their costume? Shit is so stupid it's great. All I'm thinking of is Arsenal's trucker cap in the nu52.

I love how much Garth Ennis, in all of his edgy grandeur, hated 90's antiheroes.

This guy just straight up disappeared after the 90's right? It's so weird catching up on back issues of Justice League or Hawkman and seeing this dude randomly show up like he's been around since the Golden Age.

They retconned him away as Martian Manhunter in disguise, I think.

Maybe that's why I associate him with the 90s, though--he left at about the same time the EXTREME trend died

>Implying today's art/designs aren't even uglier and stupider

Incredible.
Also, Kev was good.

He hates all superheroes that are trying to be anything besides toothless pablum for children. That's why he gives Superman a pass. The less of a saturday morning cartoon the superhero is, the more Ennis will hate it.

Good ol' Garth. I can always count on him to bash religion and capes

awwww yeah 90s thread

I can always count on him to blow the military harder than a USO showgirl

90s Batman best Batman.

Oh yeah. Especially if it's WWII, or his second favorite, 'Nam.

I actually think he looks kind of cool.

Image X-books power rankings:

God Tier: Stormwatch
High Tier: Gen13, WildC.A.T.s., Cyberforce
Conflicted feelings tier: Bloodstrike
Low Tier: Youngblood, Brigade
Shit Tier: None

Sounds like you should read Faust and get your mind blown, user

I love the 90s for the saturated colors.

He was Martian Manhunter in disguise except he was also a real guy too.

That sounds like a case of two writers independently trying to do away with Bloodwynd

I unironically love AzBats. He actually feels more like backlash against 90's trends; he was a stated in-universe to be a temporary but necessary solution but starts going so far off the rails that the original has to be brought back to stop him.

And that armor is just gaudy enough to work.

Fuck that guy.

C'mon, Punisher MAX was fun and you know it

Oh yes I know he is a good writer.
I fucking loved Hitman and Kev but I can't stand him for some reason.

/thread

I can understand that. He's kind of euphoric about his atheism, and he's the one to blame for Crossed, even though the first mini was a legitimately great horror comic

I love him to death, but I don't really need to hear his opinions on god, superheroes, or war again

The best part is when he uses a big gun.

I want him to write a cape movie script to be directed by Michael Bay.

Not a fan of Punisher Max

I knew there had to be somebody, but you're the first I've met. What didn't you like? I'm honestly curious.

Campbell's art was just too static for me and the coloring seemed to make it stand out. That with the combination of Ennis going very introspective made it feel like it was dragging pacing-wise meant it couldn't keep my attention for very long.

I know it's not a popular opinion, but that's how I feel about it. I'm not going to shit on people for liking it because objectively it's a very good comic. Just not one for me.

She looks like she has really saggy tits in the thumbnail.

Huh.

The best description I've read of the 90s aesthetic and attitude was that it was a reaction to the ultra-seriousness and realism of the mid-late 80s.

The 90s were a return to trappings of the Silver Age, with of that era's absurdity and weirdness, but angry and cynical instead of upbeat and earnest.

Except he like Spider-Man too, or more accurately he likes Peter Parker trying to be Spider-Man while also struggling with school, work, and relationships.

I don't know if it has to do with Ditko, but Mark Millar, Ennis, Moore, and Pat Mills are all avid early Spider-Man fans.

>Campbell's art was just too static for me
Agreed, I love the Goran Parlov stuff though.

WildC.A.T.S. (WildC.A.T.S.)
WildC.A.T.S.
We're good against evil

WildC.A.T.S.
We've got invincible power

Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

The one and only WildC.A.T.S.

We're heroes, not zeroes
We got what they fear so
Here's the facts we got the power to the max
You know we're tough as nails
When all else fails call

WildC.A.T.S.
Nerves of steel
WildC.A.T.S.
Here's the deal
WildC.A.T.S.
You better watch out

Yeah

WildC.A.T.S.
We're good against evil

WildC.A.T.S.
We've got invincible power

Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

The one and only WildC.A.T.S.

Same here, though I read more independent stuff or the "bad girl" type comics. People shit on the 90's all the time, but I'll always love the era.

>and Pat Mills are all avid early Spider-Man fans

Wait really? I thought he was kind of indifferent about superheroes at best and hated a lot of them at worst.

That fucking song

i'll preface this by saying i am a child from the 90's but i don't think that design is all that bad
the leg jewels are a bit much but otherwise i think it's ok
making him MM in disguise is stupid, i won't defend that

that man has 35 visible teeth

ded thred?

I can't explain why I have always thought Captain Atom was great.

This is solid af.

I

Because he's fun.

Y'all niggas need Doom Force.

Him constantly berating Americans for funding the fucking IRA until terrorism happened to them is fun though.

I couldn't believe Sabretooth never got a series and still can't. I mean maybe the ship has sailed by this point but it would have sold like hotcakes.

Yeah you would think he would've gotten regular minis like Venom, not as many of course since Venom was probably near as popular as Wolverine.

what the actual fuck

they need to bring back thongs, titties, muscles, those Gambit headpiece things and pouches in funny books

Grant Morrison was mad that Liefeld was outselling him

All corners of the industry were so salty about the Image guys. Literally no one liked them except the fans and Dave Sim

Isn't this gal beautiful? Imagine what her skeleton looks like.

The look of Mcfarlane's Spider-man is to this day what I consider the quintessential Spider-man design

I've been rereading, and I know it goes against the common wisdom, but, Imo, Larson Spidey has aged better.
I just ordered the X-Force omni. I am legit looking forward to a dose of full on liefield.

>I just ordered the X-Force omni.

I was going to get the Epic collection, but it doesn't have the issues of New Mutants so I'll probably grab the omni too

And Moore, although he soured on them except for Lee and Valentino

We need to bring baseball caps back to comics.

Rob actually seems like a total bro to party and hang out with despite being a bit of an ass in every other aspect of his personality. Kinda like Fred Durst.

Does x-treme art like the stuff in this thread work with digital colouring/inking or no?

Well Image was a big adapter in early digital coloring, Steve Oliff and his company OliOptics did a bunch of work for them.

mandatory on every 90's thread

> Platt

Hnnnnngg

listen to this podcast episode featuring Liefeld it's pretty hilarious when he talks about Mcfarlane, Moore, Alex Ross and shit. He seems like a total bro inkstuds.org/inkstuds-on-the-road-part-12-rob-liefeld/

Fury MAX is so much better

Yeah the bit about Todd basically being the devil on his shoulder telling him to always push for a better deal was great.

-and that was when the bad prunes kicked in.

>Very recently, a longtime friend and comic book author called me in a panic. He had enjoyed a nice run of success but his recent projects had been critically lambasted. He was tasting the fanboy wrath and was clearly coming undone. “Rob, how do you cope with it?? Does it affect other areas of your life??” What? This guy had lost his mind. I distinctly remember having to work extra hard to calm him down while I watched the baseball playoffs. He chewed my ear off for an hour. ” They can;t find a single positive review or quote to put on the trade collection” he whined. I stopped it all cold with offered up some blunt talk. ” Your books are top sellers. They chart great and you are moving tons of product. I don’t get your worries here. Welcome to success” And I meant it, I went on to cite many directors and movie stars including Michael Bay and Tom Cruise that the public supposedly loathed but somehow always managed to chart and connect with the masses. Same with pop stars and all other variety of artists. ” Stop worrying. I wish I had your problems” I commented. “This will pass and your next project will be even better.” That’s how I honestly feel and I stand by that sentiment always. Get up, get back at it. That’s how its done. You have to have thick skin in this business. Period. It’s not for the weak or faint of heart. Fan is short for fanatic and we are all very passionate about our favorite characters and story lines.

Dat Archangel though.

I guess Liefeld fucked those critics over, look at how successful Deadpool got to be and still is, him and Cable, aside from Harley Quinn, are easily two of the most popular characters to come out of comics in the past 20-25 or so years, and he made something that people genuinely fucking loved at the time regardless of what they all thought of him. Good for him.

He's said that sometimes people walk up to his booth and ask him to sign or draw on pouches and he gladly does it

Holy mother of fucking salt.

needs some punisher 2099

Monica is THICC

I thought Lee was pretty much the one he was most sour about after selling ABC to DC.

I wonder who the artist was that Todd was telling him to do the same and ended up getting fired

Speedy/Arsenal.

>That's why he gives Superman a pass
He gives Supes a pass because Supes is the original.

>he like Spider-Man too

Says who?

This isn't even poorly drawn, it's the costumes that are shit.

The fans hated them most of all. Image were the biggest snakes EVER. They pulled so much manipulative shit to exploit speculators that it'd make Bobby Kotick disgusted with how low they were. Image basically caused the crash in the mid-90s.