What the fuck fell from Bespin at the end of The Empire Strikes Back? I've probably seen this movie a hundred times...

What the fuck fell from Bespin at the end of The Empire Strikes Back? I've probably seen this movie a hundred times, and I've never understood what this was supposed to be. It's really starting to bother me. They made a special point to show something falling, but it was never clear to me. Is it supposed to be Luke's severed hand still holding his lightsaber? Surely it didn't happen to get sucked into the same tube thing that Luke got sucked into? He was even standing on a different part of the bridge when it got cut off, and we don't see it rolling down the tube thing when we see Luke sliding down it. What was that?

Around 00:05 in the video.
youtu.be/NottMSxCPHg

Luke's hand (and lightsaber) fall from the left side of the bridge when Vader cuts it off, and Luke falls from the ride side when he jumps. It can't be his hand. There's no way they ended up in the same tube. Also, the EU (Yeah, I know its not canon anymore) states that the Emperor recovered Luke's hand and lightsaber. Surely this wouldn't be possible if it fell into a gas giant like Bespin?

Is this the right time for a Jar-Jar joke?

I always assumed it was his hand but after reading this, I feel pretty dumb.

curious bump

It was his penis, he accidentally severed it on a rogue outcrop of metal framing as he fell.

A good question, for another time.

Something in Luke's pouch. Its identity isn't important. Only that it conveys how far that drop is.

I thought that was his jacket and lightsaber

Just imagine it's some junk that was caught on the thing he was hanging onto that got knocked loose and be done with it. It doesn't look like anything special, just a blob

It's some trash to make you understand Luke just went through an elaborate waste chute. Also so the movie can show you how far below that drop is if Luke lets go of the antenna.

I always thought it was the blaster that he had in his holster, and it came loose when he hit the antenna.

This scene always made me tense up as a kid. Imagine holding on to that tiny little antenna when you know how far that drop is.

Then it achieved its purpose. The music is also really selling the urgency.

>"Ben... Beeeeeen..."
>no answer from Ben
>"Leia... hear me..."
>"...Luke."
>"We have to go back. I know where Luke is."
Absolute fucking kino. I miss when Star Wars was good. They probably would have ruined this scene with a fucking quip if it came out today.

how did the imperial fleet suddenly get from the hoth asteroid field to anoat system while the falcon was attached?

this but ironically

Because the expanded universe didn't really exist at this point, and fans weren't autistic. Put yourself in 1980. It wasn't some huge mapped out universe at the time. For all you know, Hoth and Bespin were right next to each other.

>HAN: Whoa.... women's intuition is a FORCE

m8 the movie clearly states they're in DIFFERENT SYSTEMS

the expanded universe has nothing to do with anything

It's visible at 3 seconds before the obvious shot.

>while
The imperial fleet had lightspeed, the falcon ddnt

a)they don't use it though
b)even if they didn't, they don't dump garbage like when they do later

I dont understand what you are seeing
The movie makes it clear, the millenium falcon doesnt have lightspeed, boba tracks them and when they enter bespin the imperials are already there

m8 the issue isn't them getting from where they detach to Bespin. The issue is them getting from the asteroid field to where they detach. The asteroid field is in the Hoth system. The point where they detach is in the Anoat system. Both systems are identified by name in the dialogue. The star destroyer fleet suddenly goes from Hoth (system) to Anoat with no lightspeed inbetween. No hyperspace travel is shown and the star destroyer still has garbage to dump before they go into the lightspeed jump we do see.