IT'S HAPPENING!!!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Kj3opk1QFTM
vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-backlash-negative-fan-reactions-rotten-tomatoes-score
deadline.com/2017/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-first-week-overseas-international-box-office-results-1202229711/
gizmodo.com.au/2017/12/the-last-jedi-killed-my-childhood-and-thats-exactly-why-its-great/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I wouldn't go that far, but yeah, Kino Ren is pretty good.

its not hard to be a better villian than darth vader.
all he does is breathing really loud

>loses in every appearance

>DUDE I'M GOING TO KILL MY FATHER tO SHOW HOW EVIL I AM
Such a great villain

>wtf someone has a different opinion? HERESY! I NEED TO MAKE A THREAD ON Sup Forums ABOUT THIS SO THAT OTHERS CAN VALIDATE MY BELIEFS!

>Darth Vader is better than Darth Vader

This is what millennials believe.

He's not really a villain though is he. All he did in the last movie is kill the biggest villain

Dumb whoreposter

Shills getting more and more desperate by the day damn

What the fuck is this movie doing to people

Kylo Ren could've been a 10/10 villain but they had to go and make him a joke in TFA. In TLJ he's the best character because all the others are so fucked

People actually believe this
HA!

He's not really a typical "villain" though. If you're going by who is more villainous, then probably Vader but just who is a better character? Probably Kylo.

*cringes*

Almost like this board is for discussion??

>ohhhh yeahh [random news outlet] sure is dumb, fucking disney shills mmmmmhhhh
Great """discussion"""

It's supposed to be, but we both know that's not what people actually do. They shitpost and that title is basically bait to lure out shitposters and fanboys to cry and not actually discuss anything civilly. You knew that too.

It's your job to turn it into something more

Disney should hire better shills if they want us to not make fun of them

>Straight up, Kylo Ren is a better villain than Darth Vader because of his complexity – his flaws, his misgivings, his emotions, and his growth over the course of the films.
So is this bitch just not taking the prequels into perspective at all?

>DUDE I'M GOING TO CHOKE MY WIFE TO SHOW HOW EVIL I AM
Such a great villain

A bald assertion isn't an argument. I've already refuted your representation based arguments. Give me something else.

No, he killed children. Choking his wife was because she liked it rough.

i never saw dark vader throw i temper tantrum
i saw that other guy toss one and hack up billions of dollars worth of equipment. and then guards backed away because they knew interfering with a child tossing a tantrum is not good.

Vader is the better villain, but he really isn't much of a character. Kylo Ren is much more interesting, though in terms of being a threat to the protagonists he is an abysmal failure.

>So is this bitch just not taking the prequels into perspective at all?
For Vader's sake I hope not.

Kylo Ren is the cringiest character Star Wars has made. He's literally worse than Hayden Christianson Aniken, and an even worse actor. He sounds and acts like he has autism. His while character is "I'm going to be an even edgier version of Dart Vader!" He got fucking dunked on by Rey when she used a light saber for the first time

Vader is pretty overrated as a villain, but no way is Faglo Ren better.

Exactly. Kylo is unpredictable. That's far more scary than a well-composed figure who seems little more than an old man's bodyguard.

He's going to end up in a Vader suit.

Just kill me now.

>His while character is "I'm going to be an even edgier version of Dart Vader!"
No?

>He's literally worse than Hayden Christianson Aniken, and an even worse actor.
MMMMMMMMMMMM Hayden please go.

>Lil' Vader is better than Darth Vader
Ftfy

That was his character in the first film, not TLJ. He doesn't care about Vader anymore. He wants to throw away the legacies of the past.

He is a villain, just a complex one. He clearly thinks the dark side is correct or at least better, plus it's hard to know exactly what he wants and what he'll do purely because he's so volatile. However if by 'villain' you mean the one the audience is supposed to root against then yeah, he's not really one whether JJ/Rian intended to or not.

to me it just seemed like someone needed quiet time or a spanking..or both.

>better villain
lol no
>better character
definitely

How is this not emulation of darth vader

I fucking loathe millennials. You’re all a bunch of cocksuckers

Do remember each ST film is it's own continuity (e.g. TLJ Rey grew up on oceanic planet, Luke is suicidal instead of just hiding, etc)

>He's literally worse than Hayden Christianson Aniken, and an even worse actor.
I honestly don't even know who got handed a shittier character to act, Hayden or Driver.

oh my god the media is really shilling for this piece o'crap

Aftera I typed that I thought about it and I agree. I just see so many peopled judging a character's villainy based on how intimidating they come off or as you said how much you hate them, but that's just people being retarded I guess.

He's the most realistic and sympathetic villain and people aren't used to something more complex like that, but I think it's fresh and great.

>A is better than B

who wrote that article ? a 12 years old ?

Vader
>most feared man in the galaxy
>chokes a bitch out to show is dominance
>never loses his composure
>cares about his family
>killed his master to save his son.
>betrays previous master to save his waifu

Kylo
>sperg lord
>daddy issues.
>momma's boy
>gyno
>galaxy doesn't even fear him
>failed to kill his first master in selfish preservation. kills second master because he wants to be a big guy
>never kills his incompetent and or insubordinate underlings.

That's not his character though, only his character design. He's an emotionally unstable teen (?) who was supposed to fill the role of the next vader, but he clearly struggles with himself emotionally and sympathized with Rey

It's clickbait, they knew it would rile people up. Congrats, you got baited. It's an interesting discussion though.

What the fuck is disney pushing? Vader's considered one of the greatest villains of all time. He's menacing, intelligent, intimidating, and instantly recognizable even if you went to darkest Africa bush people. Kylo Ren is a wannabe chump who takes his mask off the second time we see him and spergs out like a retarded teenager, like actual Down's Syndrome. He also can't get any fucking right and lost his fight to an untrained rookie who only just ever held a lightsaber for the first time a few hours earlier.

Vader was a considerable threat through the entire OT.

youtube.com/watch?v=Kj3opk1QFTM

This

How old are you? I'm 23.

>NOOOOOOOOOOOOO, it was Snoke who seduced our son!
This. I can't believe that people think this character is "realistic" or "believable".

People absolutely do fear Kylo in the movies.

>Kylo is unpredictable. That's far more scary than a well-composed figure who seems little more than an old man's bodyguard.
Here's the thing - I'd completely agree and it'd be a great idea for a character, except that that whole concept is completely ruined by making him a nonthreat right off the bat in TFA. He gets beaten by Rey who's never fought with a lightsabre before. It makes it seem like all he can do is wreck equipment.

Exactly. There's NO dramatic tension when we know Rey is as good a duelist as Mace Windu now. How can she possibly lose? She'll win the duel in the third film completely unscathed, and they won't cut off her hand because the MO is "Kill the Past". If the MO isn't Kill the Past, it means Disney wants to bury TLJ and everything it stood for.

revan wants his mask back

I like how you're acting like that's a flaw with Kylo's character and not just a direct result of Mary Sue and how she can only be a stronk wymn even against the villain. Also, it's more complicated than that because their relationship is simply more complicated. It's been discussed over and over again, but Kylo was never trying to kill her, had just gotten shot, was bleeding out and was canonically stated to be made weaker after he killed his dad. Even if you ignore all of this, I think at this point it's clear Kylo isn't exactly supposed to be that big of a threat to Rey herself. He shit on Finn and others but Rey is the only one he's not allowed to hurt. They are probably supposed to work together in the end, so I don't think that is the point of their relationship.

If he's not a threat to Rey, then he can't be a threat in the movie. Maybe he'll be a villain to Poe and Finn, but so what. Vader still tried to kill Luke in Return of the Jedi.

You have a good point. Kylo does constantly fuck up in the films and get beat by people he shouldn't.

I think he's a good character though. We didn't need another stoic, badass villain. We've had several. Out of all the cliches and retreats in nu-Wars, Kylo feels the most unique.

Maybe if paid positive internet articles with comment sections disabled weren't being constantly shoved down our throats, we'd be a little friendlier.

Stop with the caps Reddit user, it doesn't make you appear bigger. It's like taking your t-shirt off prior to punching on. It just looks stupid.

No one is a threat to Rey, the writers don't like that.

>then he can't be a threat in the movie

I don't know if that is really the point. They are obviously building him up for redemption and he doesn't want to hurt Rey when he's not throwing a tantrum so again, he's not really a typical "villain" in that sense, but he's still done bad things, is on the bad side threatening the good guys so that basic stuff is there. He's obviously going to team up with Rey again or something so I don't see the issue with the way he's written in that case. He's not a villain that is supposed to be defeated with a saber, she's going to "defeat" him by "saving" him. I figure Rose's words make it obvious the message these movies are pushing.

But these aren't posited as opinions of one, they're saying: "This is how it should be, and if you disagree, you're wrong." They're presenting their view as fact, they use shit it's "it's time", meaning that only their view matters.

Kylo caused that awful tumblr offspring that is /rlg/ to pollute this board, so I'd say he's definitely a better villain than vader.

That's fine, but you can't say he's a better villain than Darth Vader. He's a conflicted antagonist at best.

He went to dark side to protect his wife you moron.

A bald assertion isn't an argument. I've already refuted your representation based arguments. Give me something else.

I told you don't ever reply to me again.

damage control

That depends on your definition of villain. He could almost be protag if you think about it in a certain way, but the fact is that he went down the "evil" path and he does bad things and opposes the heroes so in that sense he is a villain. It's just that they humanized him so much that a lot of people want to see him redeemed and even expect it and it probably will happen so it's hard to hate him as you would a typical villain and you just feel sorry for him or think he's pathetic. In the SW universe, those who don't know his story think he's a monster. Rey even sees him as such until she actually connects with him and is able to see him as real human bean.

Anyway, I'm saying he's a villain in a certain sense and that to the people in-universe that don't know him personally he's pretty initmadating and scary because of his unpredictability and raw power. I just think it's weird, because Vader was redeemed as well but I don't see people saying he wasn't a villain because of that. We're just given a different view of Kylo and actually get into his head.

Hardly. Not factoring in the prequels, Vader is a villain archetype that is partially deconstructed in his third movie by his love for his son, showing he isn't completely a scary dark overlord.
Kylo Ren is what could happen if Star Wars played by Real World rules and shows a young man faced with the burden of knowledge that his grandfather actually was a high ranking officer in a galaxy-wide tyrannical organization. Basically, this identity crisis and his parental abandonment during his late puberty/early adulthood, being carted off to his weird uncle, turned him away from the side of "good", which was shown to be split down the middle (think Leia being ousted from political society for being Vader's daughter) and towards a resurgent Empire that promised the clearly defined order he so desperately craved. So Vader's insecurities and conflict from his third movie are built into Kylo from step one. That doesn't make him better, that makes him a progression from Vader in a continuing franchise viewed from a different focal point than the OT.
He's still the most interesting char in the ST, though.

AHAHAHAHHA DISNEY SHILLS ATTACK ORIGINALS NOW
HOLY SHIT WHATS NEXT? LUCAS IS TO BLAME FOR STAAAHH WAAAHS?

The difference is because Vader is personally a villain to our protagonist, and a credible threat the whole way through. He's fucking around with Luke on Bespin and cuts off his hand, even as we learn the truth, he's still seen as the evil Lord Vader. The Rey and Kylo shit is more complicated, but from her eyes, and our viewpoint, he's just not really a villain anymore.

Yes, but that doesn't necessarily make him a bad villain and I don't know how you can count that as a point against him when him not being a threat to Rey and her sympathizing with him is exactly the point of their relationship and story. I'd say if it's that clear to you, then his character was pretty successful at being a sympathetic villain so far, which is exactly what he is.

He's the new Supreme Leader and killed Snoke, if you can get over that he's not a threat to Rey, which is the point and she's not really a threat to him at this point either seeing as the saber broke in half, then there you have the intimidating unstable monster you seem to want so badly.

>Vader is the better villain, but he really isn't much of a character.

Even before any internal conflict was introduced, Vader definitely had character. He was sarcastic, just enough in control to keep a veneer of ruthless pragmatism over his cruelty and short temper, with propensity for grandstanding and pitch-black humor. I'd take that over Kylo's autistic rage, even besides the fact that as a threat he's an utter joke.

what the fuck

kylo ren isnt much of a villain

hes not very smart i mean lmao his follower knights of ren seem to have abandoned him and he doesnt even care when everything is getting btfo left and right

where are his boys to back him up? kylo ren is so dumb he doesnt even have any friends anymore haahhaahhaahahahaha what a retard

he doesnt even have an apprentice

kylon ren is a RETARD

>a complex one.

The propane of truth

>Movie critics will end up dying faster than video game journalists

No one actually believes that. It's pure marketing shilling.

Its legit, I've seen it in other threads as well. Guy must have dropped down a fucking k-hole or something.

>it's time to admit
why do these cunts always spout this self-congratulatory bullshit

Based bald assertion poster.

>giving a fuck about star wars after they tlj
I think it's time to move on, friends. Give it up star wars is dead.

>He is a villain, just a complex one

It's getting sad

He got his shit kicked in a lightsaber fight by some hobo girl who never touched a lightsaber before.

>an edgy cunt who is obsessed with the past
I suppose he's an interesting "take that" at the core audience but other than that Ren seems pretty mediocre.

I'm going to assume the article goes on to say it's because he captures the entitlement of angry white males

Shouldn't villains be wrong?

>Straight up, Kylo Ren is a better villain than Darth Vader because of his complexity – his flaws, his misgivings, his emotions, and his growth over the course of the films. Kylo is constantly evolving and grappling with his relationships with Luke, Han, Snoke, and Rey.
Nope, it's because they assume more complexity = better. Which is retarded.
Star Wars OT has become so popular because it wasn't super-complex. It was a space fairy tale that was simple enough for kids to grasp and complex enough for adults to enjoy.
Sure you can change the success formula. Just don't complain about decline in interest.

Kylo may be a better character than Vader thanks to Driver, but he is definitely not a good villain. How could he be nearly as imposing as the unstoppable Darth Vader when he fails repeatedly, and gets destroyed by an untrained girl with a lightsaber in the first movie?
I would imagine JJ will have to focus on the knights of ren in IX, maybe returning from a mission to retrieve the Sith equivalent of the Jedi books, and with their secrets ascending into proper Sith Lords.
Although, since the resistance consists of about 15 people now, they might not need such powerful opposition.

I would love to see Disney stop making Vader toys, putting Vader in movies, and putting him on any merchandise. Have it all replaced with Kylo Ren and see which one is better and what people prefer.

Based bald assertion poster.

Buddy, the number of times, people have provided evidence to back things up here must number in the hundreds.

Just google Star Wars TLJ and start going through the most recent articles; they all follow the pattern I mention, praising the movie with no available comments section. Here's the current top 3. You can google the phrase I mentioned above yourself.

Vanity Fair - Praises TLJ - No comments section

vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-backlash-negative-fan-reactions-rotten-tomatoes-score

Deadline - All praise - No comments section.

deadline.com/2017/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-first-week-overseas-international-box-office-results-1202229711/

Gizmodo - 'The last Jedi killed my childhood and that's exactly why it's great' - Would you look at that..... No comments section.

gizmodo.com.au/2017/12/the-last-jedi-killed-my-childhood-and-thats-exactly-why-its-great/

This is just surface level PR bs.

Don't answer. It is a meme.

>Star Wars: Then Next Generation
When?

His whole character rides off the coattails of Vader

End of TFA should've been Kylo super smacking Finn and Rey around in anger and disgust, and then when he's about to kill them, Luke shows up and smacks him into a corner like the frustrated fucker he is. Then they can still be separated, Kylo can run away or something while Luke is more concerned with saving Finn, Rey and Chewie.

There, much better.