Give me one good horror movie that can scare you without jump scares, oh wait, you can't

Give me one good horror movie that can scare you without jump scares, oh wait, you can't.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DWi8NDChhIM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

kill list

Fire in the Sky?

The blackcoat's daughter
Killing of a sacred deer
Kill list

Devil's Candy was pretty good.

the only good thing about that shit fest was the fat guy and Sunn 0))). The rest was pure shit.

I don't really care about being scared I just like feel uneasy and being unsettled. For this reason I enjoy both Blair witch project movies.

I tried to watch the ring but man the acting is bad the CGI is dated.
>That face the girl makes at the start

Lel

The Grifter

The Blair Witch Project
The Descent
The VVitch

Really? I don't watch much horror. I agree the fat guy was the best part. What was wrong with the rest? Too cliche?

Does Hellraiser have jump scares?

>The Descent
Being claustrophobic makes that movie so much better

KAIRO.

There are no jump scares AFAIR, and the majority of the horror is shown in the background of scenes, implying terrible things are constantly going on around us and we don't normally notice.

I found that part most horrifying.

Ending one

Too bad the Descent has a couple good Jump scares.

The VVitch is jump scareless though I think.

>those tunnel scenes
>not jump scares

Detroit looks like it might be up your alley

Nah there's that goat scene in the witch isn't there?

>The blackcoat's daughter
shit
>Killing of a sacred deer
great film, but not a horror movie or scary at all
>Kill list
absolute kino for the first two thirds that turns into absolute shit by the end. one of the most frustrating cinema experiences I've ever had due to how much potential it wasted and how lazily it ended.

The last jedi

Explain more please user, genuinely interested,

but those parts aren't scary

It's going to be spoilery:

The first horror scene is a woman looking for an acquaintance that is climbing a silo structure behind her and then commits suicide right as the searcher notices her

Somehow technological advancement has allowed ghosts to communicate with socially isolated people, turning people suicidally nihilistic.

The protagonists have to deal with ever an every increasingly apathetic society as the ghosts let everyone near a screen know how the afterlife is terrible loneliness and emptiness.

People even begin willing themselves out of existence.

wtf. thanks but that movie sounds depressing.

The Witch

Shame about the ending.

Candyman still freaks me out to this day

Hellraiser fucked me up when I was young.

Does The Thing have jump scares? I haven't watched in a while. That movie scared the crap out of me because of the constant sense of danger and the horrific nature of the monster. I don't remember getting spooked by any jump scares.

His autism was what was "wrong" with the rest.

The ending gives you hope that kinda softens the blow of the rest of the movie.

Turns out not being a pussy and having a will to live negates the ghost's message and survivors are banding together.

Now, if you want a really depressing ending, watch Dragonhead.

Maybe the defibrillator scene but that's a bit a stretch.

The Last Jedi

Bumping with a good horror

Aren't horror movies

Honestly it sounds interesting to watch but i'm not in the mood for that kind of thing tonight, sometimes I get in a ''creepy'' mood and like horror stuff or creepy videos/stories but today i'm all floaty you know? I'll keep the name saved for one of those days though, thanks user.

wow I actually heard the guys on prepare to try (the UK version of ign do lets plays of dark souls etc, but they're actually really funny unlike the US ign) and I remember them praising this movie alot during an episode

No, because Hellraiser is already a perfect movie and doesn't require such things.

heard you're looking for candyman bitch

This movie scared the ever loving crap out of me.

I didn't like the ending much but that's not because it was bad.

this
solid horror, much better than most shit released these days

You're welcome user.

I wouldn't suggest watching it in that mood as it won't have the same impact.

First time I watched it was the first time in my life I legit screamed.

Original TV version of Juon/The Grudge.
Something about the cheap way it's shot makes it much creepier to me.
No veneer of stylish filmmaking. Just cunty ghost things being too close to you in boring everyday environments.

>Killing of a sacred deer
kill yourself

That is the worst “horror” movie I have ever seen. That movie is fucking boring as fuck’

It was fucking retarded and was fucking boring.
>rock music
>woahhhh

it has surprises, but not jump scares
i wouldn't call them that

It Follows.
Deadgirl.
Jeepers Creepers.

jesus, kill yourself

I tried twice and I failed. And also fuck you, that movie blew.

Is Happy Death Day fun ? I love the idea of a Ground Hog Day horror movie, but the trailer made it mostly look like 90% of modern boring horror movies, but that's just a trailer. Not related to the question but since we're mostly discussing horror movies, I might as well ask.

third time's the charm
i fully support you

I was really hyped for but it sucked. It’s basically about a girl becoming a better person. It’s almost just a straight comedy.

I’d rather you support me than that movie. Thanks! I’ll keep you in mind if I try again.

>vagina arms

almost every great horror film has featured something that could be broadly described as a "jump scare". you can't only have tension. you need release. imagine a film dealing with a haunted house. in a version of a haunting house film with no jump scares, you would never see the ghost. it would be bumps in the night and nothing more because the mere appearance of a ghost in any capacity would necessitate that the film do something other than build tension with mysterious laughter or balls rolling down the stairs late at night. it would actually have to show you what it's been building up, and how do you show the audience a ghost lurking in their home with the goal of frightening them?

are jump scares overused and done poorly in a lot of shitty modern horror movies? unquestionably. but this can be said for a lot of other cinematic techniques that serve an important function in their respective genres.

expanding on this, i suspect the excessive backlash against jump scares is driven by people who are new to the horror genre and see themselves as more knowledgeable and sophisticated than they actually are. they're people with fairly mainstream taste who got into horror through recent stuff like it follows, the witch, etc. (really good if slightly overrated movies, all of which incidentally feature jump scares btw). the only other horror films they've seen have likely been utter dreck that use jump scares excessively and predictably, so this is their frame of reference. these aren't people who are watching mario bava or giallo films or asian horror, or in the case of a lot of generation z's, even horror classics like the shining, the exorcist, the thing, texas chainsaw massacre, etc. they tend to say things like "the witch isn't really a horror movie" or "I don't like horror but omg i loved get out/it follows/get out/etc.". they're the reason we have to read shit like that shitty uninformed "horror movies are getting deep" cracked article, as if horror movies haven't always dealt with difficult and challenging themes and subject matter since day 1.

>Both
you realize there's 3 blair witch films right?

Also
youtube.com/watch?v=DWi8NDChhIM

As Above, So Below
The Descent
The Witch
The Shining
Rosemary's Baby
Babadook

Its a chick flick Romcom. The trailer makes it look way more interesting than it is.

Little Mary from Kingdom Hospital always scares me... It's a tv show so it doesn't count I guess.

Anybody here seen "Prevenge"? any good?

It was fucking boring though, only slightly scary shit was the knife fight with the 'huncback'.

Were there any jumps in Rec? The final scene scared me poopless and it was all atmosphere.

avoid all these titles at all cost

How is rosemary's baby or the babadook or the fucking shining scary?

The absolute loss of innocence should not be a cause of celebration or braggadocios proclamations.

>As Above, So Below
>No jump scares

Are you retarded?

Everyone grows up bro.

>that turns into absolute shit by the end. one of the most frustrating cinema experiences I've ever had due to how much potential it wasted and how lazily it ended

Jump-scares can be very effective when used sparingly. They are (or were) known in the trade as "a Lewton bus" after a scene in Cat People directed by Val Lewton when a tense, quiet scene is broken by a suddenly braking bus. Highly effective at building then releasing tension and a perfectly legit technique that can contribute to a great movie. When it's overused by lazy directors who can't build tension through atmosphere it gets a bad name.