For me it is Hamlet, the worst Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode

For me it is Hamlet, the worst Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode

Worst as in the best?

Night fever
Night fever

I thing the worst are the ones that are most forgettable.

Any episode with this fucker in it is completely unwatchable. His Servo was awful, his Mad character was even worse, and his hardon for adlibbing over scripted jokes was meaningless because he sucked ass at adlibbing.

There is nothing of value in the KTMA season and season 1, mainly due to this shrieking fuckwad.

even the bad MST3k episodes are fun

Honestly, there isn't an episode from the Sci-Fi Channel era I'd consider among the series worst. Barring the KTMA/Season 1 era when they were figuring their shit out, most of the worst episodes are from the Comedy Central years, both when Joel and Mike were starring.

I think it had to do with the selection of films including suspense thrillers, cop dramas and generic action movies. At least the horror/scifi/fantasy films would have special effects or goofy monsters and costumes, but when they did stuff like it was a snooze all the way through. Mitchell is kinda the only exception and that's just because it was fun to see them pick on the lead so much throughout the flick.

I uses to really lile Werewolf until my friends quoted it into oblivion. Now I hate it and refuse to watch it

Replace "Werewolf" with "Manos: The Hands of Fate" and we're on the same page. Though it was the internet in general quoting that episode and hoisting it up on a pedestal that made me sick of it. I know the joke is "this movie is so boring we can't come up with any riffs so we're just gonna say the title over and over for two hours" but holy shit that loses its appeal quickly.

If nothing else, hearing Khan doing the dubbing keeps me entertained during Hamlet. I'd say The Robot vs. The Aztec Mummy is the worst MST3k episode because the film is just too bad to even laugh at.

Anything from the early seasons when they were trying to adlib riffs on the spot instead of writing the jokes in advance. None of them were any good at coming up with jokes on the fly and it ended up with long stretches of silence or them just making really lame puns if for no other reason than to say something over nothing.

Honestly, the show is so bad in the early seasons I don't know how it got off the ground. They really did turn it around when they began scripting the jokes and rehearsing them, but it still took them a season or 2 to start doing that.

It probably has to do with Joel being a prop comic. He's a funny guy but not a witty guy; he's not very sharp. With prop comedy, you have something you made in advance and carefully built your routine around, that sort of thing doesn't translate well to adlibbing and coming up with jokes on the spot. At least Joel recognized that weakness in himself early enough to course correct and save the series.

The film was dreary as fuck but they actually tried to overcome it with some really good riffs. The host segments were good, too.

The really early stuff was probably more appealing at the time because it was a new idea, so the novelty of it helped them get it off the ground.

I'm the only person on the planet who thinks "Pod People" is an overrated episode.

For some reason dubbed Japanese movies are great for MST3K, but dubbed German/Swedish (whatever country Hamlet came from) isn't.

you nerds actually watch this garbage..

that is utterly embarrassing to even consider...

further more how much a megakike is that guy ot get that nonsense produced over n over...

MST3k is a GOAT show you underage faggot.

I love Werewolf. I've only allowed myself to watch it twice.

You're very lucky. I can never watch Werewolf or Hobgoblins ever again because those people

>The really early stuff was probably more appealing at the time because it was a new idea, so the novelty of it helped them get it off the ground.

I think that's about the size of it. It wasn't so much that what Joel had produced was GOOD, but that everyone backing it could see the potential in the novelty to BECOME good. Which it did after they worked out all the kinks. The show rises in quality so much in season 2 when they got rid of Weinstein and moved to scripted humor.

I've tried watching the KTMA stuff and it's the only season I've never been able to finish. I know it's unfair to start with the fine tuned later seasons and THEN try to watch the prototype, but god. The only funny thing about the KTMA episode is when Trace says something really racist during a Japanese movie and doesn't give a shit because who the fuck was supposed to be watching, anyway? Everything else is either boring or cringey.

Pod People was a case where I found the movie itself more interesting than the riffs and kinda tuned Joel and the robots out so I could watch the film.

The only thing I liked about KTMA is how Dr. Forrester kept joking about how the engines are powered by ratings and Joel better start being funny or he's going to crash into the Atlantic Ocean.

>not loving the coleman francis trilogy

now your friends are out there doing THINGS!

It's weird how long it takes for Forrester and Earhardt to show up in the KTMA season, even though they were in the theme song from the beginning. Those early episodes with just Joel and the bots on the SOL are so strange, like they can't make up their minds as to whether Joel is there of his own free will, if he's a prisoner, if he gets to choose the movies, if the audience gets to choose the movies, or wtf is the premise.

born in 91. every joke referencing pre-90s pop culture falls flat with me. these make up between 40-70% of every episode. anyway the weakest one for me was the one where I think this lady hypnotizes teenagers at a carnival and turns them into her mindslaves? i can't remember the name of it

Isn't that 'The incredibly strange creatures who blah blah'? The really weird Italian dub? I liked the kitchyness of that, and the scene where the mics aren't picking up the dialogue is really funny.

And I'm also born in 91 but I'm not American, I had to research a lot of the references, and it's probably why I like Mike more as a host because he doesn't do that so much, more observational humour.

In terms of the riffs getting better and better with each season as the writers improved, I've actually found Rifftrax to be way, way funnier than even the best seasons of MST3K. Mike and the rest just kept going even after the show got cancelled and only got better.

Compare that to the riffs in the new Netflix season of MST3K where Mike isn't involved and it doesn't hold a candle to Rifftrax.

RiffTrax always felt a lot more "honest" than MST3k to me, as if they really have completely dropped the characters and are just some friends watching movies now. Despite being ocasionally wacky, you can really hear the emotions in their voices sometimes, for example the first X-Men film, everyone sounds very resigned and delivers their jokes quite deadpan at the start ("Toothpick-o."), but as the movie gets sillier so do they, and when they start with the

>Magneto?
>Cerebro.
>Not Magneto?
>Cerebro.

Stuff you can feel how much they're holding back the giggles in the studio.

>It probably has to do with Joel being a prop comic. He's a funny guy but not a witty guy; he's not very sharp. With prop comedy, you have something you made in advance and carefully built your routine around, that sort of thing doesn't translate well to adlibbing and coming up with jokes on the spot.

Joel is very.... humorless, which is weird since he's a comic. I've watched a few of those old interviews he did with Jon Stewart (Mtv era) and Space Ghost and when the hosts try to get him to go along with them for a gag, he calls them out and says no. Even when it's something like "So what's outer space like?" he gets real grouchy and explains that he isn't actually from space and it's just a show. His interviews are really dry and awkward.

Joel's good at writing jokes and performing the script, but he has no spontaneous comedic ability at all. And he can hardly seem to find the patience for other people who are kidding around with him in conversation. Honestly, he kinda comes off as a jerk.

Invasion USA was ten times worse.

Now that the dust has settled, Joel or Mike?

>Now that the dust has settled, Joel or Mike?

Mike by a wide margin. Joel's "sleepy dad" relationship with the bots didn't invite much conflict or variety so their host segments were always really wishy washy. Plus half the host segments were dedicated to reading letters and doing invention exchanges that were never, EVER funny.

Mike being a peer of the bots had more opportunities for humor, the host segments got more elaborate and fun once they ditched the inventions and letters, and the writing of the riffs in general just got better and better with each season.

Mike all the way.

Underage faggot alert

Mike.

Some of the earlier ones just have really bad audio issues. But there's a very comfy charm to them that I love.

I'm trying to think of the worst episode and its probably just one of the shitty black and white movies they did that didn't have any sci-fi or fantasy elements at all.

Robot Holocause is unironically one of my favorite episodes. The earlier stuff can be great, its just they had some really fucking dull movies.

Is there an episode out there that is so bad because the movie is so beyond making fun of?

I might be in the minority, but I like the Scifi Channel seasons the best, but I like them for the reasons other people seem to hate them.

I enjoyed the serialized continuity (at least in season 8) and it kept me coming back each week even when the movie didn't sound very interesting; I at least wanted to see what happened to Mike and Pearl. Also, the Pearl/Bobo/Brainguy trio were the BEST set of Mads in the series, fight me.

And I think the show was better for limiting its movies to horror, science fiction and fantasy films. Shit like Red Zone Cuba and Invasion USA and the Skydivers always bored me so much I couldn't finish them no matter the riffing. At least the cheesy B horror movies were a vibrant enough to keep me watching.

>Is there an episode out there that is so bad because the movie is so beyond making fun of?

That's the entire joke behind Manos the Hand of Fate, and its considered a "classic" because of it. The movie is so dull that the characters have literally nothing to work with and just keep saying the title of the film over and over again. It's funny... once.