Watchmen

Why don't DC just nut up and make Watchmen volume 2?

Because people would complain about it changing, the only person who could make a sequel in the same style and quality would have been Alan Moore, and he doesn't want to write superhero stuff anymore

They're getting to it, user. A pile of shit that large takes time and patience to cultivate.

I think Alan Moore has a contract where they can't make a sequel to the Watchmen or he can sue DC for quite a bit of cash.

No

He has no right to anything

DC could publish a book about Dan fucking a cactus and Moore would be powerless to stop them

Only person who could do watchmen vol 2 justice would have to be Grant Morrison, and he's been quiet as of lately.

Could deal with Doctor Manhattan's return after fucking around outside of space and time, and see the watchmen universe in the 1990's/early 2000s. Could deal with rise of Islamic extremism, secret government spying, and ozymandias' plan coming to fruition.

I hope this is true because the story is complete and there is no need for these characters to come out of retirement. Hero comics have a terrible habit of not leaving well enough alone.

Because Rorschach is dead and he's the most popular character

This, as long as they keep Watchmen published they keep the rights.

And that won't ever happen.

>Only person who could do watchmen vol 2 justice would have to be Grant Morrison

Moore would HEAVILY disagree with you.

Moore can rim my asshole for all I care.

>Chuck Austen
>Dan Slott
>Rob Lifeld
>Scott Lobdell
>Frank Miller
>Cullen Bunn

>Being neutral to getting a rimjob from the creepy snake hobo

Watchmen is perfect and doesn't need a volume 2. Why can't more comics just be finite stories?

This. They will inevitably do it because they're creatively bankrupt.

In 2010 Alan Moore said this in an interview:

>At the end of the day, if they haven’t got any properties that are valuable enough, but they have got these ‘top-flight industry creators’ that are ready to produce these prequels and sequels to Watchmen, well this is probably a radical idea, but could they not get one of the ‘top-flight industry creators’ to come up with an idea of their own? Why are DC Comics trying to exploit a comic book that I wrote 25 years ago if they have got anything? Sure they ought to have had an equivalent idea since?...I mean, surely that would be a much easier solution than all of this clandestine stuff? Just simply get some of your top-flight talent to put out a book that the wider public outside of the comics field find as interesting or as appealing as the stuff that I wrote 25 years ago. It shouldn’t be too big an ask, should it? I wouldn’t have thought so. And it would solve an awful lot of problems. They must have one creator, surely, in the entire American industry that could do equivalent work to something I did 25 years ago. It would be insulting to think that there weren’t.

Of course at the time fans and creators angrily denounced Moore as a bitter old man.

Then Before Watchmen came out in 2012.

Then Rebirth happened in 2016.

At this rate DC is going to relocate their offices to Northampton and just camp out on Moore's lawn.

Oh, and a year before that interview Blackest Night was coming out, about which Moore rightly said:

>And a year before that Blackest Night happened, about which Moore said:

>I was noticing that DC seems to have based one of its latest crossovers [Blackest Night] in Green Lantern based on a couple of eight-page stories that I did 25 or 30 years ago. I would have thought that would seem kind of desperate and humiliating, When I have said in interviews that it doesn’t look like the American comic book industry has had an idea of its own in the past 20 or 30 years, I was just being mean. I didn’t expect the companies concerned to more or less say, “Yeah, he’s right. Let’s see if we can find another one of his stories from 30 years ago to turn into some spectacular saga.” It’s tragic. The comics that I read as a kid that inspired me were full of ideas. They didn’t need some upstart from England to come over there and tell them how to do comics. They’d got plenty of ideas of their own. But these days, I increasingly get a sense of the comics industry going through my trashcan like raccoons in the dead of the night.

>I was noticing that DC seems to have based one of its latest crossovers [Blackest Night] in Green Lantern based on a couple of eight-page stories that I did 25 or 30 years ago. I would have thought that would seem kind of desperate and humiliating, When I have said in interviews that it doesn’t look like the American comic book industry has had an idea of its own in the past 20 or 30 years, I was just being mean. I didn’t expect the companies concerned to more or less say, “Yeah, he’s right. Let’s see if we can find another one of his stories from 30 years ago to turn into some spectacular saga.” It’s tragic. The comics that I read as a kid that inspired me were full of ideas. They didn’t need some upstart from England to come over there and tell them how to do comics. They’d got plenty of ideas of their own. But these days, I increasingly get a sense of the comics industry going through my trashcan like raccoons in the dead of the night.
Moore's being a grumpy old man for this one. Blackest Night shared nothing but the name and idea of the prophecy with Moore's original creation. "Based on" is a little generous for what is more a call-back.

Well if hes a creepy snake hobo im sure his snake tongue can do wonders

>Grant Morrison
Haha, no.

What a narcasistic cunt

He still has a point though. They're still using his stuff as a hook.
Sure, he's kinda grumpy and sometimes comes off as a vindictive asshole in some of these interviews, but he always says a few things that are right, and should be food for thought for both fans and creators alike, if anything to prove him wrong.
But everybody just goes takes the easy road of calling him a bitter old man, when he moved on from the Big Two a long time ago, and never looked back, yet you still have them (mostly DC) trying to milk every last drop of anything he ever did all those many years ago.

Except he was 100% correct as the proceeding years proved.

I thought so too the first time I read this, but when you see the facts, he's pretty much right. If they would stop sucking his dick, he'd probably stop thinking he's so awesome, but they won't.

I hope so.
I wasn't reading comics when classic lines such as "it's time to shit" or "bitch to be you" came out. I want to see the train wreck happen live this time.

Sure, but Blackest Night definitely wasn't one of them. They never advertised it being connected to Moore at all, and the story shared little except the idea of the Green Lanterns being threatened (an idea that's been used way more than just Moore), so it's disingenuous for Moore to claim the entire crossover was them scavenging through his comics.

How can Azzarello write some great comics and then do shit like that?
The man is a box of chocolates.

What is Morrison even up to nowadays?

Yeah...not quite.

DC CANNOT do a sequel. Thats why they did prequels. Thats why they tried to negotiate that they'd 'give' Watchmen back to Moore if he endorsed the prequels & allowed DC to publish his next Watchmen related project fully under his control. He said piss off & stopped talking to Dave over it.

Alan Moore hate everyone including his readers.
He was offered a good amount of money for writing a sequel but he refused. He is a preachy dick.

>Moore's being a grumpy old man for this one.
I agree. This comment was when he finally lost me.

His DC work was MIRED in obscure continuity & while its ok for HIM to do that nobody else can? I'm no fan of the Cereal Lord but that was an insult he didn't deserve.

They're not even trying to do this, and you know by the end of the watchmen vs dc arc manhattan is going to be gone anyway.

He said Johns was a racoon scavenging on his garbage. He was proven right. He was wrong about Blackest night as it had nothing to do with his short story, but current johns is that racoon, even when it's clear he wasnt the one with the idea and just a hired gun

At one point I would have said its out of respect for Moore.

Then Rebirth happened, so...what respect?

Except this recent obsession with sequels and adaptations has nothing to do with a lack of originality, and everything to do with trying to play it completely safe.

Investors always want proven successful IPs to be continued and are EXTREMELY reluctant to support anything new or different. This is the real problem.

What you faggots aren't realizing is that most of his ideas aren't fully fleshed out, as in the case of blackest night etc. They had to be expounded on. As in the case of Watchmen, Before Watchmen is an entirely different set of circumstances etc. The only similarities are the characters. So essentially what you're saying is the whole industry should cease to exist except new character books.

Rebirth is good and watchmen is garbage?

Money.

>He was offered a good amount of money for writing a sequel but he refused. He is a preachy dick.

Yeah, fuck that guy for sticking to his principles when he should have just sold out.

>principles

Funny way to spell "Angry jaded autist who has a superiority complex."

You're a spineless piece of shit with no convictions so it would seem strange to you, sure. Moore has a set of artistic and personal principles that he feels are more important than money. He could make tons of money if he wanted to but that's not what he values.

What a shitty time we live in when someone valuing principle over money is mocked.

>What is Morrison even up to nowadays?

>quiet as of lately.

He is the EIC of Heavy Metal and contributes the introductory prose and 1-2 stories an issue

Try just a little harder.

Before Watchmen happenned anyways. If Moore contract is currently preventing from doing a sequel, you can be sure that when Moore will die, a sequel WILL be made.

Since it is unavoidable AND since he was offered to participate, he is responsible for whatever shit happen. Unless Moore is as talented as he love to brag about.

As for money, he might not have use for it, but the various cause he support (because he is a lefty), could use the money.

-t. Moore

IIRC for at least some of the adaptations of his work Moore has had the money that would have been his share go to his co-creators instead.

>Since it is unavoidable AND since he was offered to participate, he is responsible for whatever shit happen.

That's bullshit. A sequel may be inevitable when DC is finally free to do one, but that doesn't mean Moore has to participate or is responsible when it does. He's clearly staked his position on it and is standing firm. Even if the fight is ultimately futile, at least he personally isn't betraying his beliefs.

Also:

>In a 2012, interview with LeftLion magazine, Alan Moore was asked to put a figure on how much money he had turned down by refusing to be associated with these film adaptations. He estimated it to be 'at least a few million dollars' and said: "You can't buy that kind of empowerment. To just know that as far as you are aware, you have not got a price; that there is not an amount of money large enough to make you compromise even a tiny bit of principle that, as it turned out, would make no practical difference anyway. I'd advise everyone to do it, otherwise you're going to end up mastered by money and that's not a thing you want ruling your life."

I don't agree with Moore on everything, but I admire his willingness to back up his words with actions. He's given up a lot for what believes in. I wish I had that kind of personal integrity and strength.

If you think the only person who believes in standing up for your principles even when it means turning down personal gain is Alan Moore, you lead a very sad, small life.

AM dislikes GM withlike a passion, so no,it is very unlikely

Stay mad Moore.

>The cast of a WA-A-A-ACKY new sitcom?

>Only person who could do watchmen vol 2 justice would have to be Grant Morrison

I hate you Grant Morrison faggots so much. Why would you even say that?

You should have said "Be Moore mad."

he is right so and I wouldn't say narcissism its more of a pride or if you prefer arrogance

>Hurr he's a jaded senile man that hates his fans

You idiots are pretty gullible, he obviously resents DC and some industry trends but he makes those comments with levity, he's anything but jaded. The guy worked with some students to rap about brexit's aftermath for crying out loud

you cant put a price on your soul user if he had accepted everyone would be calling him a sell-out or hypocrite

>a sequel WILL be made
Not necessarily. They would need the permission of his estate at that point and I doubt they'd say yes. So luckily a Watchmen sequel will never happen.

Alan Moore doesn't own a computer so I doubt its him unless hes borrowing a laptop or in the library

Grant hates Watchmen you fucking idiot. He shittalked it all throughout the 80's. He's the last person who would want to do it.

And braindead capeshit fans never wanting to leave well enough alone.

>DC could publish a book about Dan fucking a cactus and Moore would be powerless to stop them
Untrue. If he was fucking that cactus post-Watchmen that would count as a sequel and he could sue to get the rights back.

Morrison doesn't hate Watchmen. He's said in subsequent interviews and in Supergods that he was just talking a lot of shit back when he first started out in the 80s to make a name for himself, but that he actually highly respects it. He does have some issues with it, but he's acknowledged it's a masterpiece of the medium.

DC announces a new event, During Watchmen. It will feature stories set during the events of Watchmen, including a Nite Owl mini where he dreams of fucking a cactus while investigating the Comedian's murder.

>Grant hates Watchmen you fucking idiot.

Pax Americana is a lovingly crafted cover of Watchmen, the sort of thing only an artist with great respect for the original could have made

They're actually seem shameless enough to do something like that these days. I wouldn't be surprised it it turns out Manhattan in the Doomsday clock is something that happened during the events of Watchmen or shortly before.

Sounds like a wonderful person and not a complete shithead. I can see why you all idolize him and never shut the fuck up about him.

western comics especially superhero stuff dont tend to have an end point for their characters like other works of fiction like books or manga or films, instead their stories continue and continue, in another work saving the day would be the end of it but with superheroes there is always something else around the corner

Saying "they must have someone who can create something as good as my stuff" isn't very narcissistic.

Was about to say this . Once he said he's just disappointed the book is considered the best the industry can offer, not because it's a bad book but more because of it's pessimistic themes, like how "the smartest man in the world" is a dumb mass murderer.

Basically as any reasonable person would agree his problem is people thinking Watchmen should be used as template for superhero stories in general. Pic totally unrelated

He's also the guy who says he hates Margret Thatcher and everything her government stood for before saying he practices chaos magic for Wealth and Materialism and cant even see the contradiction in his points nor the hypocrisy

If he would've done otherwise, you'd be calling him a hypocrite.
The man kept his word, even though he was tempted with a lot of money (he even made fun of himself for this once, there's a video of it on youtube).
And he doesn't hate his fans at all, watch all the videos of direct interactions with fans and you'll see he's actually a pretty nice and funny guy.

It's been a while since I read Supergods but I remember Morrison genuinely disliking the book. He said the writing was so precise and perfect it made him sick. There was no humanity in it. etc.

Sup Forums sucks Morrison's dick so much that it's surreal. He's done good stuff like Doom Patrol, but he's also done hot garbage like Batman RIP. He's overrated as hell on this site.

No, Grant Morrison couldn't do a good Watchmen Vol. 2, you delusional faggot.

It's funny, considering Moore is much better at writing characters that feel human than Morrison, who can only write cartoons with very little nuance. Look at what he did with Batman,

The ending to the Invisible by god that was the worst thing I ever read.

Don't get me wrong some of it was alright, I liked the Edith -old flapper gone old character a lot but the rest of it....

'The Black Tit that Devours' WTFH is that supposed to mean?

And 'I eat him' what an anti climax, this dangerous, world ending creature is coming in from another dimension and that's what one character, Jack, says - its like he ran out space or took too many drugs and just wrote a stream of consciousness - oh and later they just shot it with a pop gun

Terrible ending to something that had a few interesting bits and good issues.

Who are a bunch of people who suck at their jobs?

They are hit and miss, some good work, some terrible, some so-so

He is willing to spit on money to protect his ego, that doesn't mean his two daughters would do it.

Not everybody is a drug addict hippie who do Chaos Magic.

I personally dislike the guy. I was a dick to Johns one of the nicest people in the industry. Blackest Night is one of my favorite GL book. It conclude a fantastic multiple year run.

>that's not a thing you want ruling your life
I can appreciate Moore's "never compromise, not even in the face of Armageddon" approach, but no one can escape money ruling his life. Money always already rules all lives.

>He is willing to spit on money to protect his ego, that doesn't mean his two daughters would do it.
Hopefully they do though.

Holy fuck you're asshurt is palpable. Eat shit Johnsfag.

He makes money by doing other comics or have you missed the last like 30 years of other stuff he has done.
Watchman isn't the be and or end all.

>He is willing to spit on money to protect his ego
It's called integrity retard. No amount of money is worth shitting all over your most acclaimed and revered work. You'd understand if you had an an ounce of creativity in you.

You know that Watchmen is a prequel to Akira, right?

Esto

>Johns one of the nicest people in the industry. Blackest Night is one of my favorite GL book
Now it all makes sense.

It's not shitting all over anything. The original still exists and is not censored.

Lmao integrity unknown to a johnsfag who would have guessed

Sequels and prequels will always affect the original work, Mr. Roboto.

That doesn't have much to do with my statement. Moore suggests we don't want to let money rule our lives, and I'm saying it's impossible to not let it; we have no agency in the matter.

AM doesn't do chaos that GM

Think hesmore a cerominalmagick kindof guy

the best things in life are free

what does everyone think ofMoores Providence?Any Good?

>grant shitterson

Dropped faster than a bag of shit.

I don't want muh ebin post-mo """metafiction"""

It's the first thing Moore's done in a long time that everyone on Sup Forums (who's read it) agrees is good. You can take that a couple of different ways.

Not really. I hate anarchist hippie in general. But that /pol talking.

His contribution are important but his unwillingness to play with opther and compromise prevent him to achieve anything.

Moore didn't write relevant since a good 20 years. The guy is dead weight now. He was given multiple opportunity to do a comeback back he prefer to swim into obscure indie book.

Sure thing, champ.

I've enjoyed his Lovecraftian books (yes, even the fish rape), but I'd say it's easier to like/digest them if you're knowledgeable of Lovecraft himself. I managed to get a few of them, but more often than not I've found those pages winking at me without fully understanding why. Imagine reading League of the extraordinary gentlemen without knowing any of the characters

Which is funny because I've been told when he started writing them he had only a few tangential notion of who Lovecraft was and his passion for the subject grew only as he was writing and reading the original works

sure alight, kid

>hehe, my cynicism will surely stop me from killing myself in a few short years

The best things in life ARE free, otherwise why do you even still have principles at all?

>Moore didn't write relevant since a good 20 years.
>Newest DC event that's this month's top seller is milking Watchmen
Looks like he doesn't really need to write anything new to remain relevant.
Also
>prevent him to achieve anything
Leaving any artistic merits aside, he has achieved making a decent living doing whatever the fuck he wants, without sucking corporate dick.

>he bullied a nice guy :(
>never mind that he's got the artistic talent of a gaping asshole and has proved multiple times that he doesn't understand the characters he "borrows" from other comics