Killing aku means that the people in the future will not exist! Reeeeeeeeee!!!

>killing aku means that the people in the future will not exist! Reeeeeeeeee!!!

It just means that they will be different people, if you pay attention, besides armies of destruction and evil monsters and robots, there is nothing in the future that says that Aku had anything to do with the family of the scottsman existing, or the monkeys that jump good, or the 3000 men, etc.

A lot of characters seemed to live isolated from the things that Aku did

>What is the buttefly effect

a theory

A GAME THEORY

Actually if you take a dimensional view on time travel, even after Aku's death in the past those people we left in Aku Future still exist. Our Aku-Free timeline just continues in another direction.

Those people still exist. You could go back to the Aku Future and visit those people.

Time travel is actually dimensional travel not actual time travel, basically.

Yes smart people with actual PhDs have banted this around. We all get bored I guess.

user did you know that you went back to say 120,000 B.C and stabbed the first human you saw in North Africa, you would actually kill every single human that exists in Eurasia and the Americas throughout all history right?

Yeah aside from things directly created because of Aku like Ashi and her sisters, there's nothing wrong in assuming that everyone else will be born into the future and live together as they had in the Aku timeline minus Aku's tyranny.

I feel like the ending, Ashi and the ladybug symbolize the one thing that Jack, both as as a character and as a series, lacked prior to season 5. That thing is hope. The ladybug gave Ashi hope, Ashi gave Jack hope, and the series finale finally gives the audience hope. Its bittersweet to think about the Scottsman and all the others never knowing Jack, but it is in the end better that way because at least they'll be in a world free from darkness.

I loved the ending. It makes perfect sense to me.

NotOP here,
Negative: Most humans died out 60,000 years ago after a super volcano eruption.

Further: Killing that one person doesn't doom all their descendents because there's a strong chance their would-be partners would've adjusted to breed with someone else.

I dont think you understand the concept of a common ancestor.

Or sexual reproduction, either.

Most of them were aliens who were immigrating to Earth due to Aku's shenanigans.

I those rules were in play then Ashi would not have died. She disappeared because of a time paradox.

You guys realize that almost all of Jack's friends we killed in the battle against Aku, right?

You are one specific sperm and one specific egg, fertilized at one specific time, change the time of fertilization and one of your potential siblings would exist not you.

So this means if you kill an ancient human you also wipe out any human that came from his sperm and since all human races have common ancestors back to 120,000 B.C it means you kill every human in Eurasia and America.

See user humans in your country are 34th cousins to you, humans in your continental region are 42th cousins with you, humans in your face are 51st cousins with you, and humans outside of your race are at the very least 74th cousins with you.

This. The timeline literally loops back on itself but then goes in a new direction with Aku's destruction. Ashi wouldn't have been born without Aku so she doesn't exist anymore.

I did this quick sketch to show how it works. First x is Aku shooting Jack into the future. Second x is Jack going back in time emphasized by the arch. Since he kills Aku, in his second passing through the first x the timeline doesn't go in the same direction anymore.

Yeah, I got that. I'm saying there would just be other humans. She would've fucked Rod had Tod died.

I'm aware the dimensional travel instead of time travel rules were not in play. I was just pointing out we could've had a version of this story that didn't end with Ashi vanishing and the people back in Aku-Future continuing a life. A miserable one since Jack didn't kill future-Aku and he'd be free to continue reigning over Earth and a growing galactic empire.

>A lot of characters seemed to live isolated from the things that Aku did

In terms of his impact over several centuries, Aku was probably the equivalent of an extinction event or a world war unto himself. If you look at far-reaching calamities in our history (the Black Death, for example) even untouched areas were eventually affected by the longterm consequences of their effects.

For argument's sake, let's say the Scotsman's family came from a remote highland village, and that it went largely untouched by outside forces during Aku's rule because conflict in the region made it too dangerous for travellers and merchants to reach. Remove Aku's influence and thus the source of conflict, and the village would have more commerce, different influences, and ultimately a different history. All it would take to prevent the Scotsman's birth in this scenario would be any of his ancestors deciding to leave the village before having children.

But that's stupid.

Have you ever read a book or had a thought in your entire worthless life?

Reddit

>Further: Killing that one person doesn't doom all their descendents because there's a strong chance their would-be partners would've adjusted to breed with someone else.

What in god's name... are you under the impression that you would be the same person if you had a different mother or father?

Okay. That would make you not exist.

That's what I keep saying but everyone ignores it. The only thing left in the future was him and ashi, plus some of the scotmans daughters

I haven't rewatched the original episodes in who knows how many years, but didn't they address this in an episode? Probably pretty early on, right? I'm sure there was a scene where Jack is talking with someone about how he'll go back to the past to defeat Aku, they mention that would mean that the people of the future would never exist, but the person talking to Jack says it would be worth it for a world free from Aku.

Maybe I'm just making this up, but I could swear they addressed it.

It makes sense though. And in the new timeline, though it would be drastically different, we could assume that parallels would exist between the two. Such as the Scotsman and other friends of Jack's still coming into existence, just as slightly altered people livng a more prosperous life now with Aku gone.

A new timeline would mean a different universe. Even if the timeline were to loop back, everyone's lives in the old timeline would instantly end.

Not only that, but say some of Jack's friends were still born (As unlikely as that is) they would be different people. They could act similarly, maybe even look the same and all that, but they wouldn't be the same Scotsman, the same dog guy, the same whoever else. It's like you dying and someone makes a clone of you with your memories. You still died. You don't just get to move over to the clone. You're dead. The clone however, would think otherwise, as they have your memories, and would believe they are you.

Not everyone died. If you look, there were still a good number of peeps still alive. We can infer that some died offscreen, but not all.

>a theory

It's a non-trivial effect observed in the real world.

>Those people still exist.
No they don't. Even if the timeline was preserved (which it wasn't), Aku would have killed them all.

>there are people dumb enough here that they fail to understand why Aku not existing would change the future in such a skewed manner the characters we know would have never existed.

Exactly my point. It sucks but at the same time all the characters we've come to love have just given the ultimate sacrifice in the chances of a new and brighter future without Aku.

Genndy doesn't care about it. Never cared on his previous works.

Anyway, the
>huuur you killed them
Is a stupid concept, considering that for each person, 5 others would have existed in a brighter and more hopeful future.

The only way that they would continue to exist at this point is if souls existed in a cycle of reincarnation or were placed in bodies by the gods, which would mean that they'd be the same in essence but occupying different bodies in different lives. Otherwise they never existed and will never exist.

Samefag, but I want to hear Genndy address this because otherwise the ending is a punch in the gut for essentially no other reason but to be a punch in the gut.

Did you miss sex ed or something?

Wouldn't there be an alternate time split from when the past Jack was sent to the future seconds before future Jack showed up to change the future? Wouldn't that mean then that there's a second Jack of a now alternate timeline without Aku trapped in the future?

They should do a movie about these now Past and Future Jacks trapped in timelines they no longer wish to be in and questioning if he could some how simultaneously save his family and world of the past and Ashi.

we don't know how far into the future Jack is.

Maybe robots and aliens and all that stuff is part of the natural progression of humanity

Spirits and the afterlife exist in Samurai Jack.

By staying in the future, all of those killed by Aku in the past get to "Live on" eternally as spirits.
However, by going back to the past, Jack wiped out 1,000 years worth of people.
People that aren't killed, but ceased to exist.
Meaning they don't get spirits either.

Aku denied people life.
Jack denied them existence.

This is a work of fiction, therefore it works the way the author wrote it. And this was clearly not written this way.

No, all it would take for the Scotsman not to exist is his father fucks his mother 10 seconds early or late. Then a different sperm would win, and the Scotsman's brother/sister who never existed would be born instead.
Literally a difference of a few seconds thanks to Aku's millenia of rule would be enough for every single character not to exist.

Pfft, fuck that. I want my robots and Scotsman and talking dogs.

>string theory

But there's an other problem at play here.
Stick with me for a sec, cause time travel be trippy:
>Ashi is the daughter of Aku, made with his evil essence
>Ashi has her dad's powers
>Ashi uses powers to get Jack and her back to the past
>Jack kills Aku in the past
>Ashi stops existing, since she was born from Aku in the future

The big BIG problem is here:
>Ashi uses powers to get Jack and her back to the past

Is she stopped existing but, by her actions, Jack got back to the past, that means that Jack never got to the past, because Ashi was never born, to inherit her father's powers to open the portal in time.

If anyone BUT Ashi would have made a portal, or Jack would have used anything BUT Ashi's powers to get back, the ending would make sense, but as it stands, it's half butterfly effect and half... I don't even know.

Fuck.

Work of fiction. If Jack ever gets to visit the future in a comic or something it's almost certain he will meet his friends living without aku. Think of the one in a million rule.

Then Ashi shouldn't have died. The exact same reson that she winked out of existence applies to everyone else in that world.

Ashi doesn't dissapear until the marriage ceremony instead of immediately after AKu dies. I don't think butterfly effect would work anyway, unless time had to take time to catch up with time.

Ashi is a special case. And again, you are trying to apply logic to something that never had it to begin with.

This, what a fucking dick move on Genndy's part. There was literally no reason to kill Ashi but to make the ending ~bittersweet~. Cheap emotional trick. I really hope he comes up with some sort of explanation about how billions of people weren't literally erased from existence 'cause that's some bullshit.

Except Ashi.
She won't be a different person.

I don't have a problem with Ashi dying.
I don't have a problem with Jack dying.
Either or both of them sacrificing themselves to destroy Aku would be fine.
But they erased everyone in the future from existence althogheter.
For me the series is dead. It managed to top TTGL and Mass Effect 3 for me, as the most unsatisfying ending ever.

He took TTGL's ending and doubled down on the shit ending by not killing the waifu, but erasing from existence her
and every other character that was born after Aku sent Jack into the future.
The Guardian who so many people were so eager to see again? He never existed.

Yeah...I don't know what the hell Genndy was thinking. The entire series was rendered meaningless, and he dedicated the last season to cultivating a new character and relationship only to have her disappear from existence entirely for absolutely no reason, depriving Jack of happiness. There are numerous avenues he could have taken for the ending, and he chose the only one that managed to be completely unsatisfying. He didn't even leave any non-convoluted way for people to keep the characters alive in headcanon.

The Guardian might be one of the FEW exceptions, as it is implied he and the portal have been around since... A long time.

I was kinda thinking about rewatching the old Season 1-4 episodes. There's some real gems in there. But now, they lost all meaning.
I can pretty safely say that I won't intentionally rewatch any episode of SJ again.

I'm in the same boat; I still needed to catch the last couple episodes of s4 and wanted to rewatch s5, but given the ending, there really doesn't seem to be a point. None of it happened anyway, and it's better not to get emotionally invested in anything that would just cease to exist.

What did you guys think "undo the future that is aku" meant?

I thought he'd realise that was a foolish, naive wish, and grow past it, and work to change the future for the better.
Guess I was the naive one.

That he would realize he shouldn't do that.

That it was a device to drive the story, or that time travel would involve multiple timelines.

At the very least, Genndy didn't have to devote a good portion of the last season to building a relationship only to destroy it for no reason. There's no reason why Ashi had to disappear or why she had to be introduced in the first place if only to disappear in the end. That just pisses off jashifags and anti-jashifags who didn't want the final season to be so romance-heavy.

I am channeling every ounce of my hate into Gennedy for what he has done. Im am so fucking pissed off and THROUGH with Western Cartoons after that embarrassing shitshow of a finale Samurai Jack had last night. Who the fuck thought that was okay to air?????
Completely half-assed and rushed, tons of things left unanswered, and despite Jack finally going back and destroying Aku, it felt so fucking impact less and unfulfilling. It happened so fucking fast. The worse part is, that Russian cuckold probably considers this his master piece. Yeah, its a master piece alright. Master piece of fucking SHIT.
Fuck Ashi. Fuck Samurai Jack and most of all fuck western cartoons. If this fucking medium isn't going to respect its viewers as adults then they can keep their target audience of babies and children.

Farewell Sup Forums, I will not be returning to this board since Western animation is dead as can be. Enjoy getting 3 new shows every 5 years or so that include baby shit or "adult" comedies while I enjoy 50 new anime and live dramas that have come out just this season alone.
Fucking assholes.

>I really hope he comes up with some sort of explanation about how billions of people weren't literally erased from existence 'cause that's some bullshit.
>But they erased everyone in the future from existence altogether.

After thinking it over for a bit, the snap decision to go through the portal bothers me the most. Jack chose to stay in the future because he didn't want to sacrifice others before, so I'm sad he didn't have time to reflect on the consequences of undoing history.

if Genndy really wanted to go the star-crossed lovers route, I would have preferred if Ashi had been unable to travel with Jack through the portal. If I remember right, we never saw Aku use them himself, so I'd buy that as an excuse to separate them. There was no reason Jack had to go back immediately after beating Aku. Not like the past was going anywhere. Instead, they could have said their goodbyes, and it wouldn't feel like a major moral dilemma was glossed over in favour of a seamless action sequence.

I expected that to be subverted, honestly. That he'd realize that the future is more than just Aku's influence, and that there were things and people in it worth preserving.

The entire show is a time paradox from even the beginning.

Haha, see you tomorrow user.

Dude, almost everyone's unhappy with the ending, but there's no need to get this upset. At the end of the day, it's just a cartoon. And animu has its own problems

>Aku dies
>Technology doesn't evolve at a faster rate from aliens with more advanced tech never being forced onto the planet
>World becomes overpopulated and in a worse situation than when Aku was around to keep it unintentionally balanced
>Other planets in the universe are focused on fighting and enslaving each other instead of working together and focusing on the one thing enslaving them all

Jack fucked up.

>No reason to be upset at what is basically an "it was all a dream" ending.
Ok.

How would only one human reproduce without another of the opposite sex? CHECKMATE ATHEISTS

>ts, there is nothing in the future that says that Aku had anything to do with the family of the scottsman existing, or the monkeys that jump good, or the 3000 men, etc.

I always reasoned that the reason their where Spartans, Celtic warriors, a traditional feudal Japanese family, etc, was because Aku had stunted human culture in a way when he sent Jack into the future and began to take over. Otherwise the Samurai Jack world would've progressed"normally" as our world had. Granted, one could argue that the Samurai Jack world was anachronistic by nature so they could still exist, but I feel like the continued existence of historical warriors was meant to be the influence of Aku.

>THIS upset

Easiest way to tell if someone's a plebiscite is if they can't stand to watch something without a happy ending.

I don't consider him shouting his displeasure on a imageboard dedicated to cartoons to be disproportional.
This is the place to do it. Him going and shouting it on the street, IRL, that would be too much.
Venting here is fine.

>I am channeling every ounce of my hate into Gennedy for what he has done
get laid, id just a cartoon

Read this , moron. We don't have a problem with the ending being bittersweet. We have a problem with it being the shittiest option Genndy could have gone with.

The only person we actually see okay after dying is the Scotsman. For all you know everyone else is suffering endlessly. Take for example Jacks parents and kingdom.

I don't get why it's so hard to just have a sliver of optimism and imagine that in this new timeline, things will go right. The new future won't have the characters we grew with but who's to say that with the way death and spirits may work, and with the influence of the gods now that Aku is no longer in control, that there can't exist an alternate timeline/universe that flows similarly to before, with corrections made due to Aku's absence?

If this were a straight sci-fi story, yeah, Jack just erased all his friends from existence. But who's to say the gods can't make things happen so that these characters don't ever come back again? Hell, even without their influence it could still just be a mirrored reality where alternate versions of the characters come to exist.

I don't know. I liked the ending. I just don't get why you're all digging so deep into this. Ffs if you want to take all this too seriously, Jack cannot ever go into the future if he at some point kills Aku. Since he killed Aku the Aku future never happened so he should have no recollection of it. It literally never came to fruition due to the cycle of travel breaking. I of course ignore the paradox ending the series had because it's a fucking cartoon about a samurai with a magic sword in the future fighting robots and aliens.

Just let it go.

>We have a problem

YOU have a problem, only autist in Sup Forums had problems with the show

Most were dead by the time Ashi and Jack went back.

Because that's going to inane levels of headcannon and wishfull thinking.

>tfw when gotten laid
>with girls I felt nothing towards
>felt more sadness over losing an animated character than when I broke up with a girl in response to her telling me she loved me

To be fair, only the premise that going back would change history is paradoxical:
>Jack lives a normal life until he's removed from the present by Aku
>time progresses linearly
>Jack is re-inserted into the timeline hundreds of years later
>linearity preserved, no wibbly-wobbley time balls
If Jack had been unable to return, everything would have checked out.

Everyone fuck off, this is how it should have ended

Jack stays in the future, defeats future Aku, wanders the world until he's sure everyone is safe, maybe even becoming King Jack. Then after the future is saved, and he says farewell to everyone, he goes through a time portal back in time and saves the past. His actions can either be undone or make a split timeline shown, keeping his character the way it always was, saving others before going back to the past anyway.

Ashi dies when he defeats past Aku, or she doesn't and they get married, whatever.

>there is nothing in the future that says that Aku had anything to do with the family of the scottsman existing
Do you even know what a butterfly effect is? Think about this. Without Gavrilo Princip assasinating Franz Ferdinand, WWI would not have started, without the zimmerman telegram, the US wouldnt have gotten involved, without WWI, Germany wouldnt have been crippled and turned nationalist, without that Germany wouldnt have become a powerful, venegeful Reich aftwerwards, without that there wouldnt be a WWII, without that 70 million people dont die and the US doesnt become THE superpower while Europe rebuilds.

That's all in one century. Now imagine thousands of years like the SJ timeline?

I have gotten laid, ask your mum. Now run along and go start up minecraft or something kid, adults are talking about cartoons.

If Aku didn't exist, things would be slightly off which means that various certain sperm wouldn't meet various certain eggs and thus change everything.

The ending is such a damn cliffhanger it is up to YOU to imagine what happens next. The battle is won. The future is bright. The ladybug at the end should have clued you in that what Jack did was for the better. He's spent the whole season thinking "all hope is lost". Well now he and we finally have it. I say it's better he go back to the past and the future is up for us to decide than he stay in the future and let his family and friends from the past suffer unavenged deaths for all eternity. Think of all the teachers and friends we saw when he went back. They'd be dust if he stayed in the future. Their lives permaturely snuffed out because he didn't go back. The fate of the future is an if. The fate of everyone else from the past has always been a terrible fate the moment the show started. Have some hope and things will look bright. Have some hope and the ending is bright.

Kinda like that Astro City story where the Hangman helps people get over the latest CoIE/Tme line fuckaroo

>Copy and pasting this from anoyher thread since it's semi-relevant:

Are you guys forgetting that Aku's earth was largely uninhabitable hellscape or overgrown ruins, with only pockets of civilization here and there?

There's also the fact that Aku attacked other planets, forcing their people to come to Earth and worship him.

Jack's actions ultimately have saved more than what was erased.
Also to the people saying the characters from the future still exist, you're all dumbasses. If your great grandad didn't exist, you wouldn't either. How is that so hard to comprehend?

People live and die and suffer and enjoy life endlessly.
The fact is that the characters in the series that we liked, the ones who we have rapport with would never have existed with the ending we had.
That's the problem.
The number of people that Jack "saved" is the same as the one he destoyed: infinite. Because different people would be born from the fork point until the end of time, in both timelines.
But we care more about the people in the destroyed timeline, because we know them.

This is the same reason why going back in time to kill Hitler (or whoever) would be a bad ideea. You'd destroy the present as it is now, with no guarantee of a better outcome.
Maybe the people that Jack "saved" all die in a war that would not happen with Aku there, or nuclear war happens and everyone dies, or an asteroid hits the planet, one that Aku had just swatted aside in the original timeline.
There is NO GUARANTEE that the future is better without Aku.

Really makes you think

I waited so many years for this. I don't care they are all dead or never existed.

All is well.

>the whole story is a time paradox that can't exist should Jack kill Aku in the past because then he would never send him into the future/future would never happen

>magic sword that disappears and reappears whenever gods see fit

>the fact that there are gods, magic, and ghosts

>the fact thst there are aliens, multiple time portals that anyone could use, and every other thing that is total fiction in the show

You're trying to make total sense out of an extremely fictitious story with so many things in it that aren't real or would never happen, that the idea of some magic mumbo jumbo giving us the same characters in a new future is not that far fetched. The entire way the time travel even works in this story contradicts itself, let alone how the gods can influence shit and how the afterlife and spirits/reincarnation work.

I'm not a dumbass for thinking in this magical world that the gods or time itself realigns itself in Aku's abcense (since he was an unnatural entity fucking with the flow of everying anyways) and things are set to a different but similar path and the characters we know are born back anew in the good future. The possiblities are endless. Literally anything could happen now. You fucking choose how it ends. If you wanna dwell on the butterfly effect shit then fine. I don't care because just as Genndy doesn't give us the good ending with a screenshot of said reborn Scotsman and co., he also doesn't show us them being shat out of existence. Make of it what you want but it's not impossible given the nature of the cartoon.

>read this

No

Holy fuck, this is a new level of bio-ignorance.

A CARTOON THEORY

THANKS FOR WATCHING

And this is why abortion is wrong

This is why network heads need to watch things before they air, Lasso said he wasn't even going to watch it until it aired so he didn't spoil himself. Great job fago

I find it interesting that despite the move to [as], the prior death seen of non robotic creatures, and even this season having such die, the finale only had the robots in the robot "die" and of course Aku.

I'm fine with it, just something I noticed. Despite being more out in the open the sea aliens just seemed to have gotten knocked off their jellyfish, and the woolies weren't shown during the hail either. The only bad end for one of them was the Yakko dog whose name I can't remember, because his ship was fucked and he was falling, but even inside it was just a few pricks barley coming in, he easily could've survived through convenient tech.

Also every line/noise Ashi made in this finale seemed fucking grating, example being the UAAGHHU stressing sounds in the Aku suit and the way she says her final lines, especially "existed". It's just sharp or something.

also was her fading in 0.30 seconds and her dress falling even quicker supposed to be sad because it's timing seemed comical