When was the first time you heard of/watched Samurai Jack?

For me it was back when I was a kid in 1999 with Cartoon Network playing in the background, a commercial popped up for CN featuring it's newer and upcoming shows and on the tv was Genndy telling how he story was about a warrior sent a million years into the future by a shapeshifting demon and the cartoon was going to focus on him trying to get back to the past, all this while showing an animation of Jack riding a horse alon a mountainside.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=plhRMBqiW3s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I watched the premiere at my grandparents house and I kept watching it ever since. Jack gives me so much nostalgia because of how ingrained into my childhood it was that I really can't hate on the lackluster finale especially because said grandparents passed away recently. It hit me really hard how both of these staples of my childhood are gone around the same time.

hopes you feel better man

for me, I started watching around 2000 in Taiwan (ESL who lived in Taiwan for 10 years), and my first episode was the first episode of the first season.

Didn't have CN as a kid at the right time, was aware of it and saw parts of it at friends' houses. Wasn't interested.

Heard S5 was good, went and watched some original eps (first 3, mad jack, scotsman, guardian) then watched S5.

Gotta say I hated the fight animation in the early eps, it was fucking amazing in 5.

Watched the three part opening special when it first aired on that friday block CN used to have when I was a kid.

Liked it.

Stopped watching it cuz girl I liked didn't think it was cool.

In retrospect I made the wrong choice.

Uh OP Jack didn't Primere Till August of 2001.

No way it could have been in 1999.

DVD
The ocean episode in the first season
Friends grandparents house

A friend of mine wanted me to watch The Raver episode, I thought it was dogshit never bothered watching any of the show til the new season came out, I both rue and praise the fact that it took me so long to watch Jack

I remember it being an event, a thing on Cartoon Network.
The dogs episode.
The elephant fairy. Those times. Gone like dust in the wind.

Actually on Nickelodeon. It was one of those news segments hosted by the KaBlam hosts where they would talk solely on animation news. They talked about this cartoon that wasn't at all going to be on its channel, which struck me by surprise. They only had one image of it, Jack on a horse behind a rising sun. Looked so different than anything on either channels. Then I watched the premiere and got hooked.

The Industry sure was something back in the day.

Saw the premier as it happened.
Shit was so fucking cash.

Had no cable tv as a kid. Had to walk far to get to aunt's house just to watch cartoons as a kid. We weren't poor, my parents thought that tv makes you stupid. Watched the first episode with my cousins and their cat. It was worth the walk.

I watched it's premiere. As soon as it was shown as a new show coming out I was hype.
My mom and I actually bonded over the show and it was one of the few shows we would actually watch together.

That's actually incredibly interesting.
I doubt it's possible but sauce on this would be lovely.

SJ premiered when I was in high school, and I first heard of it when some guys in one of my classes were talking about it. I couldn't watch it because I had shitty basic cable at that time and didn't get CN.

It wasn't until Fall of 2003 when I finally got to watch an episode for the first time -- it was a rerun of the episode, "Jack Learns to Jump Good". I liked it a lot, and then followed the show as much as I could until it got cancelled in 2004.

Any 20 yr old including me who grew up with cartoon network
would have seen something like this before it aired

It was the first time it was ever announced, still in it's absolute earliest stages with only a single animation to show.

>CN shows used to be so quality that they required a movie for the premiere
fug

My earliest Jack memory is the Scotsman episode, and then drawing fanart of this fucker fighting Jamjars from Banjo-Tooie.

A few weeks before it premiered.

Saw the teasers and watched the premiere.

I really disliked the show because it was slow-paced and rather silent, besides the artstyle was too wacky and most characters looked ugly as hell, didn't sit well with me.

Nowadays it's one of my favorite shows, I enjoy it for what it is. Visual composition and pacing was great,

It's just not something you'd put at 19:00 for kids to watch on their living rooms with their siblings running around. I think it's more of something you have to be in a calm atmosphere/setting to really enjoy.

Watched the first episode and instantly didn't like it because of how Jack was amazing at everything.

Watched the whole series before the latest series and it was ok. Don't see why people went nuts over it.

Probably back in 2003 I think I remember the music from that episode where Jack puts on a princess dress and chases the cockney accent loli who stole his sword and clothes.

I binge Samurai Jack this entire week because season five made me interested in it. I was dissapointed it was just monster of the week shit I would have enjoyed as a kid but now Im too smart for that kind of stuff dudes. Season 5 was kino though and the ending sucked ass.

I remember watching bits and pieces of episodes as a kid. I remember loving Jack going to town on the beetle bots. I can also remember Jack fighting the basket robots with a robot arm and that was metal as fuck. I want to say the first episode I watched of it was the first three but it's possible I saw the Ultrabot episode first or Scotsman or Jack's sandals.Though to be completely honest I think I remember the Duck Dodgers parody more than watching the actual show.

I decided to rewatch a handful of episodes when season 5 was announced. Rewatching the fight with the beetles in episode 3 felt fucking nostalgic as hell along with the sea creatures fighting octopus Aku.

>I was dissapointed it was just monster of the week shit I would have enjoyed as a kid but now Im too smart for that kind of stuff dudes.
It's the exact opposite, you dumbfuck; the more you learn about cinematography and genres, the more you can appreciate Samurai Jack. It's more of an audiovisual statement/homage than a story, really.
A technical show, that's what stands out. World design, visual storytelling and pacing.

>Season 5 was kino though
>kino
How silly of me, assuming memespewing Sup Forumsfags would know anything about the subject.
Read a book or two, might help you with grammar as well.

Is there an upload of this anywhere? Would love to see it.

I rented the Samurai Jack movie on VHS from Blockbuster in 2001. It was really awesome. It also had the episode Jack and the Scotsman on it. I enjoyed that and I continued to watch the show on TV.

Found it. Potato quality.

Some thing on Cartoon Network. Watched the Premier, and every episode after. Though the series did suffer from the "D&D Cartoon Syndrome", where every chance he got to go home was ruined, usually due to his sense of honor/duty to protect others, I still thoroughly enjoyed every one of them. Enjoyed Season Five as well, tho I didn't get the ending I wanted.

Still turning the finale over in my mind.

Premiere. I remember there was a weird ass song for the commercials, not the "Gotta get back, back to the past!" intro, but weird ass drumming that really stuck with me. It was always played to him fighting the robot beetles.

Also, I remember the game where you fight as Jack, killing beetles, the weird ninja overseers from the first episode, and finally Aku himself.

I cant remeber when was the very first time but i remeber it aired after Samurai X, shortly after CN stopped airing X and i blamed jack so i was kinda mad at the serie. I remember watching some episodes here and there but i cant remeber following the series.

>click video
>right looks like this
Remember when the Internet used to be about CREATING content, guys?

Am I the only one who never knew the lyrics of the theme song?

I'm not an English native speaker, I'll give you that, but I've been proficient at it for years already, and I only figured out the Black Eyed Peas guy was not saying "Oh, Jack, Oh, Jack, Samurai Jack!" when this season started and people commented about it.
More than mishearing the lyrics, there didn't even seem to be words in there.

It was "super late at night" at my grandparents' shore house in Ocean City, NJ. I was maybe 6 or 7? We didn't have cable back home, so it was a double privilege of a beach vacation and new TV. It was the "jump good" episode.

Good times. We should really have "your first experience with X shows" thread more often. It's warm and fuzzy and nostalgic.

Happened to me too, all i listened was something like 'watsipu-pah, watsipu-pah, samurai jack!'. It was until i started to read about SJ on Sup Forums that i learned the song had lyrics and not just gibberish

It was heavily advertised on CN when i was a kid the joke comparison between him and Utonium was even a thing back then and i gave the first 3 episodes a chance. first two were kinda meh but third was fantastic i'd say. since then i got hooked but missed out on the ast baby episode

I watched a few episodes as a young kid when I still had cable and didn't enjoy them. I don't remember what episodes I watched, but I thought the show was weird and kind of boring at the time.

Now I'm in the middle of season 1 after finishing season 5 and can't wait to watch more. I'm glad I gave the series a second chance.

I was a tad late to the party, but my first ever full episode was Jack vs Mad Jack.
I was actually a little scared of the freaky visuals of the burning forest when I was younger. Also seeing Jack that angry was surprising scary too. Aku also seemed pretty cool too even though he was in it for like 10 seconds

>tfw your girlfriend doesn't like the show but gave it a decent chance and you feel like a clown for hyping it like you did

not my first, but my most memorable

>be me, 10ish, having fun at a 4th of july event
>shitfuck my collarbone is broke weewooweewoo time for hospital
>man, this shit is boring, i'm in massive pain, and the drugs can't get here fast enough
>turn on tv
>it's the jump good episode

when they said that line last night i felt comfort and warmth wash over me, and it wrapped me in a blanket.

Saw the promo art for it in Animation Magazine back in the day. Then it was hyped at lot at SDCC the year or 2 before it out. Still have the long wall scroll i got from the panel.

>be me
>SJ comes out a few months before my 10th birthday
>follow SJ pretty closely
>don't watch every new episode premiere but goddamn I followed it closer than any other show
>buy all the DVDs
>get hyped and disappointed every time Genndy almost gets a TV/movie deal
>freak out when AS picked up SJ
>watch every episode
>see the ending
>not exactly what I wanted but very happy to see it end with real closure
it's not the end of an era, but it means something to me to see Jack get an ending

It was in 2001 right around the time my family had gotten cable. I watched the movie with my brother at the age of 4. I thought it was the coolest show I had ever seen. At that time I was four and had a lot of medical problems so I was constantly in and out of the hospital. So TV for me was basically whatever was on, so I didn't really watch the show. I grew up considering it to be one of the greatest cartoons ever.

I started rewatching it last summer and I was baffled at how different it was from how I remembered. First of all, I always thought Samurai Jack and Aku faced off at the end of every season, and Aku always flung Jack farther back in time.

Secondly, I was shocked at how slow paced the show was. I couldn't believe kids could get into this show. Did kids back then really have the patience to get through 19 minutes of slow scenes to get to 2 minutes of sword action? (I guess so)

The first half of the first season was a little jarring due to how different it was from what my memory told me about it, but I came to appreciate it and by the end of the "rewatch" (since I guess I never really watched it at all) I still found it to be one of the greatest modern cartoons I had ever seen.

I didn't have much of an impression of a samurai jack from the show but I played the shit out of the cartoon network games. Way of the Warrior, Rave Slave and Code of the Samurai were some of my faves.

Seems like Jack Learns to Jump Good is a really iconic episode

Despite a lot of people on Sup Forums rambling about the ending I think we all can agree that many of use share the feeling of watching this show as we grew up. It’s quite a cozy feeling to know you share similar experiences with a lot of people you’ve never met.

I watched the seasons beforehand and I am surprised how ahead of its time the show was. I wonder if Genndy will work on more projects in the future.

What do we have here?

Look at that silly samurai icon

That was fun

Pretty useless junk.

Somewhere in 2008. One of our local channels had been replaced by an animation-only channel and Samurai Jack aired there at around 10:00 pm.

Three .mov video files
Genndy
Trailer
Trailertest

The short teaser trailer with the slaves and the whip demons and Jack yelling AKUUU at the end kept airing on CN every commercial break or so. I missed half of the premiere movie because I had to keep switching between channels because my parents had other stuff to watch at the time.

First episode I saw in full was Jack vs. Mad Jack, I think. I loved it but somewhat disliked the slower pace near the end of the episode. I learned to appreciate the slower pace as I kept watching the show though.

Either The Chicken Episode showed up first, or the Sunset Ninjas was first, I was hooked either way.

I only remember being a total CN-fag at the time. I outgrew Nicktoons and settled on the Cartoon Cartoons. it was just really cool to see them do a non-comedy original

I was still a small kid but I think my first view in was during the premiere. I dropped it hard though since I thought nobody talking was kind of boring so I didn't even finish the episode. Later on in the future I would watch it occasionally on boomerang then when I heard about S5 I decided to binge watch it. Jack is too pure of a character for the ending he got. Something about how nice of a guy he is is just really endearing

When it premiered on Toonami a shit ton of years ago. I think I was 10 at the time, and just moved to a new house after spending some 5 years in a shitty apartment right after my parents got divorced.
I remember watching the first two episodes, but my oldest memory about Samurai Jack is when he just got into the future and was tripping balls with the strange landscape. That was also a shock for my excitable young self.

Can't remember the first time I heard of. I saw a picture of him in a magazine for kids when I was young.
I never watched it.

I caught it on Cartoon Network, it was the episode in the gladiator arena, thought it was dope.

Saw a commercial, maybe watched the premiere, was turned away by how ugly it was and the awful reused sound effects.

Somewhere in 2007 when our poorfag family finally got a cable TV.

I can't even remember. Not because I'm young, but just because I was with it from Day One.

And I gotta say, happy it got an ending, and am happy with the ending it got.

Our local network translated SJ when I was twelve or something.

Really liked the artstyle. Cities, monsters, robots... So weird.
For a time took "wacha" as sorta like catchphrase.

The premiere was two days after my birthday so I made it a point to see it and a few episodes after.

Weirdly enough I didn't watch a lot of it till it was after cancelled, cause at that point in my life I was a little past episodic shows.

Jump Good is pretty good, but I think including it in the finale was a mistake, since the episode's joke ending implies Jack kills Aku.

When I was little I watched that one episode where he gets his clothes stolen and thought it was weird that there was so little talking so I stopped watching. I have better taste now I swear

It aired at a time when I wasn't following cartoon stuff, so I didn't find out about the show until later. I first heard about it on Sup Forums in one of those screencaps where people make parodies out of Aku's opening narration. I watched the series maybe two or three years ago.

What's this and where did you get it from?

I watched it before Justice League on Toonami.

Some promotional disc, not sure how exactly I got it.

From the time they began broadcasting it in LatAm. Nostalgia.webm

I saw it the first night it aired on YTV. It would have been shortly after it aired on CN (we always get things a little later in Canada).

It aired on the same night as the first episode of Justice League.

I watched the movie when it premiered and thought it was super adult. I thought it was kind of slow, but I loved it at the same time. The problem was shortly after I didn't have CN anymore, but any time Jack came on I watched it religiously. Then when I found out it was all online I binged like a mofo.

I remember being amazed by the artwork and the silence. While other cartoons just made me laugh this actually made me watch intensely what is about to happen. I remember watching the dog, scotsman, tales, the black ninja and the dragon episodes.
Also at school kids competed who can say the best "whatcha" good times.

>EEnE
>The Official Podcast
Ah I see you are a man of culture

Yeah it's almost like YouTube is suggesting me crap based on what you retards post around, huh?
I have no idea who penguinz0 are, can I please earn back your invaluable respect?

im from eastern european shithole and i saw the fucking premier as a kid and have seen every episode 10 times MINIMUM and i liked this new season, all the last second binge watching "kino" spouting faggots can go fuck themselves