Three Billboards thread

What did Sup Forums think? I enjoyed it outside of the cop not realizing the police station was burning down for a solid 30 seconds.

I thought that fit with his character up to that point. Made me laugh to beat the band, in any case.

Rockwell’s arc was pretty fuckin’ great.

Shit movie
>lol we didn’t solve anything so we might as well kill some guy lmao

It's kinda shitty

Writing was awful, some of the acting was really shoddy and the plot was nonsensical

Solid movie, good comedy, good character devleopment & I enjoyed all the different characters

definition of a screenplay pandering to an audience. mouth breathing yokel dipshits line up one by one for mcdormand to own them with witty monologues. The retard cops character arc is so jarring its like he's a completely different person overnight.

I HOPE YOU GET RAPED AND MURDERED!!!

damn...and then she did...if that ain't the definition of freaking irony right there, great screenplay!!! This movie was a complete disappointment.

Seems like a really shitty place to live. People can get away with anything they want, burning down police station, it's ok because some random midget claims he was with you. Throw an innocent guy out the window, lose your job but no legal trouble, not even a lawsuit.

But hey, let's go hunt down and murder some random dude for making a rape joke in a bar, even though he has no criminal record and works for the government.

>Throw an innocent guy out the window, lose your job but no legal trouble, not even a lawsuit.

That part was retarded as fuck, nobody fucking cared and even the nigger cop was like “lol, whatevah...”

This movie was shit.

This. In the theater there were literally people going "You go girl, show those rayycis cops who's boss!!" All this move was is pandering, the plot was retarded.

i liked it a lot, ending seemed out of place though. surprised to see it so hated here

Everything is hated here, the more positive reviews it has the more Sup Forums hates it.

I just watched it today in theaters, was a fun movie. Pretty stupid at times but still a good watch.

Good comedy/drama flick. But a tad heavier on comedy due to quips and quirky conversation. Still recommended though

>poor as fuck people
>suing eachother

it was fine but it felt like a few scenes or lines were added to pander to tumblr.
The mother should have been a bitch and abrasive but grieving, and thus relatable, but instead she was just a fucking cunt to literally everyone all the time even the people who were 100% on her side.
Also this film is making sort of a dangerous statement about justice, in that it doesnt seem to value any sort of evidence and thinks that a suspect is guilty by virtue of being a suspect.
This film certainly did not live up to the hype at all, which is a massive dissapointment because all these other award season contenders being released now have all lived up to their reputations to some degree.

The ending was a little disappointing. I would've preferred for the dude to actually be the rapist, or, if it wasn't him, more of a "well, we'll keep trying then". I didn't like the "Meh, guess we'll just go kill him". Also a bit weird for that random guy to come into her store and threaten her for no real reason. What, he was just some dude who raped some other girl and thought he'd go threaten a random woman? That made very little sense to me.
I thought they were going to imply that he did it and that his CO was providing an alibi for him by saying his whereabouts were "classified" but then they didn't really go that route.

I think it salvaged it a bit when they both agree that neither of them know whether or not they'll go through with it and say "we'll decide when we get there". I liked that.
But all in all a weak ending.

The rest of the film was excellent.

>it was fine but it felt like a few lines were added to pander to tumblr.
Yeah, I got that vibe a little when she said something like "yeah, and then it'd be my word against yours, like with rapists. except this time they'll believe the woman. for once".
That felt a little silly.

what is with the oscar bait films this year and bitchy female characters?
>Lady Bird
main character, her mother, and her friends
>I, Tonya
Tonya's mom
>Three Billboards
main character
>Shape of Water
sassy black sidekick
>Get Out
awful SJW but also simultaneously an ultra racist psychopath girlfriend
>Battle of the Sexes
Billie Jean King was kind of a bitch, but at least it made sense in this film since Bobby Riggs was a huge douche

The most satisfying part of Three Billboards was when the boards got burnt down. The son was really the only character worth rooting for and it must have been such a relief for him to see those billboards gone

>The retard cops character arc is so jarring its like he's a completely different person overnight

>One of his closest friends commits suicide
>Gets fired from his job for incompetence and misuse of power
>Almost gets burned alive

If all those things happened to you in the span of a week, chances are that you're going to start looking at everything a little different, user.

It's one of those movies where the performances reign over everything else, but nonetheless I liked it a lot. The few, tiny #woke bits were eye-rolling, the fact that Rockwell beat the absolute shit out of an innocent guy in public with barely a register, and the "let's go kill someone" ending was a little silly (though I feel the film does acknowledge this), but nothing was so annoying it ruined watching it.

Just finished this.

Would it have really killed Mildred to admit that she was wrong even once? That maybe it wasnt right to burn the fucking police station down on a hunch? A hunch that wasnt even right?
Would it have killed her to tell her son she was sorry for basically ruining his life and traumatizing him every single day she left those billboards up? or to apologize to the two people assaulted by Sam Rockwell over keeping the boards up, or two the police chiefs wife for being a massive source of stress?
Because she could do literally all of that without abandoning her convictions and it would have done her so much in terms of making her even a little likeable, or at least understandable.
LIke holy fucking shit what an absolute bitch. Sure her life was ruined by her daughters murder but she basically went out of her way to make life as hard as possible for every single person who knew her. except of course for the only black woman in the movie.

I wanted to reach into the screen and choke her out when she was being a standoffish cunt when the black guy who put up the billboards originally wanted to help her, and she was just adressing him the same way she did everyone else. Like you'd think a grieving mother of a raped and murdered daughter would be one of the easiest people to empathize with but my fucking god did this film fuck it up.

Was it ever explained where Mildred even got those Molotov cocktails that she burned the police station down with? Seems like they were just already there in a neat row on a desk at a crime scene. Did I miss a shot where she pulls them out of her bag or something?

it's called cuntkino. women really like bitchy cunts as characters.

They aren't very hard to make ya know

with how many characters they had and how developed they all were, i gotta hand it to them.

but god damn the humor was fucking dreadful.

Yeah, she was definitely a bitch. The police station and throwing a guy out the window were the parts that were just unrealistically over the top. Luckily the movie had a comedic tone so it's easy to laugh at how stupid it was at times.

oh and on top of that, she is so unwilling to even consider the emotions of anyone else that she appears visibly uninterested and frustrated, and actually fucking angry at the idea that she goes out to dinner with the guy who is literally keeping her out of prison.

The daughter was such a cunt in the flashback they showed it's hard to even show sympathy for her dying. The fight with the mom yelling how she hopes she gets raped because she can't borrow the car, then ends up getting raped was pure cringe.

Pic related was completely dogshit too. This guy seems like a one note hack who peaked with In Bruges and is spiralling downwards while trying to virtue signal harder and harder about how #woke he is to women's issues along the way.

She was put in her place plenty of times, it wasn't necessary for her to say anything.

>Throw an innocent guy out the window, lose your job but no legal trouble, not even a lawsuit.
>The retard cops character arc is so jarring its like he's a completely different person overnight.
>The ending was a little disappointing.

My only complains, loved the film otherwise.

I think Three billboards is probably his best. Definitely his most honest film, probably funniest aswell.

Kind of annoyed how everyone so easily forgave each other in the end.

>you threw me out the window but it's ok because you're with me in the hospital, have some OJ
>You burned me alive but it's ok because you were mad, lets go on a killing spree together
>you put up billboards blaming me for your daughter's murder and causing my to kill myself, but it's ok, here more money to keep slandering my name after I die.

I agree that Three Billboards is his weakest but I actually liked Seven Psychopaths more than In Bruges and don't really think he was doing any women's issues shit in it.
My only issue with Psychopaths is that I find it a little self-fellating to have a writer as your protagonist.

I still like the movie, but the more I think about it the more ridiculous it all seems.

this. His shit has been stale as fuck since in Bruge. He keeps attenuating the humor with each film

He scared McDormand's character though so he probably was a rapist.

>rapist
>some guy
i hope they cut his dick off
i liked the movie over all, but i dont like the ending.

What happened to the dude who threatened her in the store? Was that the same dude they went after in the end? I think I missed something because I forgot who he was.

i think a lot of what the screenplay did remained fairly grounded in the focus of the movie. it's fairly hard material to deal with but then to turn it into a comedy is completely psycho but they did it and tackled it head first. sometimes this would cause over the top dialogue and unrealistic circumstances but it felt so sensible and appropriate for the film.

>don't really think he was doing any women's issues shit in it
It wasn't as in your face as it was in Three Billboards, but there was that thing where he kept harping on how sexist it was that women die in movies sometimes.

I hope your not a shill and actually liked the movie. I think Mcdonagh has has really grown as a writer, In Bruges and Seven psychopaths were incredibly hateful but with Billboards a lot of the content of the film itself was hateful but the tone was far more emphatic and human, the way the audience gets the aesop and the characters seem to get it just enough to grow but not change completely showed lot of adult restraint that wasn't preset in his last reddit outings.

One-style pony. You've seen one McDonagh film, you've seen them all.

I've never seen the director's other movies, are they worth watching?

No they are both a great deal more ineptly written and edgy..

>his last reddit outings

What a way to ruin an otherwise well worded opinion on this film and McDonagh's filmography.

My vocabulary skills failed me at the end there. Can't think of a more succinct way to describe the feel of his older films