/who/ - Doctor Who General

The Taking of Planet /who/

Previously on Doctor Who General:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=j8z34lhKWrQ
youtube.com/watch?v=usPOYbM_3Os
youtube.com/watch?v=xpu37ftngH4
theguardian.com/global/2017/apr/09/pearl-mackie-doctor-who-interview-companion-not-many-like-me-on-tv
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/TheThreepennyNovel
youtube.com/watch?v=2l9wy9G08R4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>series 9 isn't fun!

Anything I'm missing?

>/who/ presents:
DOCTOR WHO: SHIT TRIPS Vol. 2.5
- The Anthology -

>Are you a true fan of Doctor Who?
>Have you ever written down a sequence of words?

If the answer is yes or no, then you are ready to contribute a literary masterpiece to the third /who/ collection of original Doctor Who-based short fiction, because following the success of Shit Trips 1 and 2, /who/ has started another anthology of wondrous tales. God help us.

This time, the rules will be a tad different, as in we actually have rules now. The stories must be about:

> alternate Doctors (original Doctors, fanmade Doctors, Unbound Doctors, Doctors of wild divergence from canon)

> spinoff characters from audios, books, comics, etc (Torchwood, Erimem, Faction Paradox, Vienna, Sarah Jane Adventures, Iris Wildthyme, etc)

>companion focused stories (stories with the companion facing a threat, or dealing with life, WITHOUT the Doctor)

Besides that, no limits (and your story can be in more than one category above).

>Can still be in any style, whether it's "legitimate writing", "pisstake", or "shitpost".

>the story must be at least 1 word long, and preferably not in excess of 10,000, it's short fiction you fuck

Anyone can contribute, no signups/pitches required. If you have ideas, feel free to broadcast them.

Rest is self-explanatory. Format for uploading your work is up to you, as long as it can be conveniently copied across (and ideally don't spam long texts in /who/ directly). (Pastebin or google drive works well.) And remember to mention, preferably in your work post, what you want your author moniker to be, which doesn't have to be your real name. Also, if you write in Shit Trips 2.5, Amy Pond will hand you a personal slideshow of pics of Rory.

Remember, it doesn’t matter if it’s shit, just have fun! Deadline is April 2nd

Going from classic Who to series 1 was so fucking hype. And not because I was sick of Classic Who or anything, seasons 25-26 are great, but then in series 1 every episode is a new story and there's so much more continuity between them and it looks fucking amazing. The first episode took all the right lessons from An Unearthly Child, Spearhead from Space, and the TV movie. Introducing the Doctor in the middle of a typical adventure from the pov of an outsider was genius. The Time War stuff and 9's personality in general brought back some edge to the character similar to the 1st Doctor and the development of his relationship with Rose was characterkino. I'm not even mad 9 regenerated at the end of the series, he had such a good, tight run that feels like it has its own identity distinct from the rest of the RTD era.

FINAL RATINGS

What accounts for the huge gain between Runaway Bride and Voyage of the Damned?

what changed between 2006 and 2007? Does kylie minogue have that much pull?

Kylie.

Yes.

>AI: 81
that's pretty low for doctor who isn't it? Was it too cerebral and not lowest common denominator enough?

>tfw never heard of Kylie Minogue outside the context of Doctor Who

>he's never done the locomotion with kylie
So sad desu.

>the ratings are making a comeback, guys!

This link might be helpful for demonstrative purposes.
youtube.com/watch?v=j8z34lhKWrQ

>blocked in australia

this is a fucking joke

Synchronise the mega-wattage!

I love to shit on how RTD instantly dated "Voyage of the Damned" by centering the whole episode around some random singer, but look at that, Kylie brought in a ton of viewers. It probably also helped that series 4 was the strongest of RTD's era!

And damn, the hit from streaming has really been immense. Yay, a 0.09 jump and everything, but it's absolutely crazy that there was such a negligible jump for 12's regeneration -- but then again, 11's bounce was probably aided by 50th anniversary publicity, and we didn't see much of a significant boost with Tennant (though there wasn't really much room to go up). The biggest falls also seem to coincide with big gaps in production (eg the sparsely-populated specials year and a full 1.6 million drop, and the steady decline in Matt's seasons). I really hope that Chibnall is able to return it to a regular airing pattern; it might be flat-out necessary for the show's long-term success.

Next Doctor getting 13M?! What??! I get Voyage having high draws thru kylie but what the hell did Next Doctor have to advertise? David Morrisey isn't a household name.

Too reliant on continuity (1st Doctor) for common audiences.

Also AI is a bad measure. Fear Her had a higher AI (83) than Heaven Sent (80)

That's actually the least horrible thing about Voyage desu

Tightening the season to 10 episodes will probably help with viewer fatigue. Let's not also forget that S10 suffered from a gap year and S9 had terrible marketing. I believe S8 was pretty solid in comparison with the Matt Smith era but at least Chibnall has a 5 year plan of continuity.

>Next Doctor getting 13M?! What??! I get Voyage having high draws thru kylie but what the hell did Next Doctor have to advertise? David Morrisey isn't a household name.
The possibility that Morrisey might actually be the next Doctor. RTD rused the world twice, with that and the handy regeneration.

because people thought he was actually the next doctor i imagine

>a multi-doctor episode with the first doctor plus the introduction of the first female doctor
>virtually the same amount of viewers as a campy superhero episode

I wouldn't have minded a Morrissey Doctor, desu.

Hm, I never knew that was her. If she had a hit in 1987 then it's impressive she was still relevant enough 20 years later to be such a draw for Who.

Looks good, mate. When are you starting?

Wasn't Smith announced in January? Would've thought it leaked by then.

Eh...she had a resurgence in popularity like in 99 maybe with Cant get you out of my head, and stayed pretty relevant in pop with a couple of other modest hits.She also was the face of Agent Provacatuer lingerie for awhile too.

RTD may have not always had the best episodes, but he was a wonderful marketer. He know how to get the public riled up, and he often planned it actively. And, for good or bad, it worked extremely well. I'm honestly not sure whether Chibnall's able to do that--I've never gotten that sense of wild enthusiasm from him. When I look at RTD's or Moffat's faces, I get an energized vibe from them. When I see Chibnall's face, even when smiling, I don't get that vibe at all. (This has nothing to do with his actual storytelling vibe, but with his marketing ability.)

For a while I've sort of hoped Big Finish (or even Obverse/Candy Jar/Thebes/Chinbeard/insert small press here) would do more Jackson Lake stories.

who needs that face when you've got this mega qt face all over billboards

>two different socks
>Down Syndrome shirt
Truly /ourgirl/

>ywn hug Jodie
>she will never hug you back with genuine affection
exterminate me

>Candy Jar

Candy Jar is off in its own little Brigadier world, caught between "not being Doctor Who", but "not breaking away too far from the Who mold".

>two different socks

THINN

>Have fun!
>Yes
>No

The answer to this will truly allow us to dive into /who/'s psyche

What, you've never put mismatched stuff on in the morning, noticed too late to change it, and been stuck like that for the rest of the day?

No, never. I can see and match things despite the time of day. I suspect it was a conscious decision on her part anyway. They do that. Possibly to fuck with their respective partners. That's been my experience, at least once weekly.

Cloister

what if I told you I'm wearing mismatched socks right now?

reminder

Somewhere Malcolm Hulke's ghost just threw up

Doctor Who is dead.

???

youtube.com/watch?v=usPOYbM_3Os

That means her feet are small better for licking

I will never understand what about feet is sexually appealing to some people

Was anyone else uncomfortable with the woman driver joke Doctor Who made after introducing the new doctor?

I mean seriously, the first woman doctor and the first thing she does is blow up the Tardis? BBC, your misogyny is showing.

>you will never give the Doctor's soles a tongue bath
Why live?

The fact that they're normally covered (same as more overtly "erotic" areas), the sensitivity, probably pheromones in the sweat

I think it has to do with a feeling of intimacy. You don't normally see people's feet.

During one of my fitness classes our instructor said she forgot her gym shoes and would just do the class barefoot. Then she took off her shoes infront of the whole class. It wasn't a big deal but god help me it was so hot seeing her feet. Did not and do not have a foot fetish but in that moment I was definitely turned on.

Hello how was your day /who/?

youtube.com/watch?v=xpu37ftngH4
LOL

>The Snowmen is by far the Moffat special with the highest AI
Well, color me surprised.

How are AI's calculated? How much demographic scaling is there? Are they skewed by whatever the current test pool is?

It was so shit even Richard E. Grant looked embarrassed to be in it

>doors open the wrong way out

Since 2005 the panel has been recruited and administered online by GfK NOP, for the BBC Audience Research Unit as a daily survey called Pulse, a panel of around 20,000 people (16+) who are invited to complete a survey every day to say what they have watched and listened to, and what they thought of each programme. Pulse measures a wide range of BBC and competitor stations. The daily reporting panel is weighted for age, social grade, sex, presence of children, region and the household digital type on a daily basis to ensure it is representative of the UK as a whole. The main Pulse measure, the AI or Appreciation Index, is obtained by respondents being asked to mark out of 10 each of the programmes they watched or listened to the previous day, where 10 is the highest score and 1 the lowest. The average of all these marks out of 10 for a programme is then multiplied by 10 to give an Appreciation score (AI). For example, when aggregating scores for all programmes together for BBC TV (as of March 2011), the average score is 8.2, which gives an AI of 82.
The panel enables the BBC to collect over 5,000 responses a day on TV and radio programmes. Panelists are encouraged, by means of a prize draw reward scheme, to log in at least ten times in any one month.
At this time only a limited number of TV channels are covered by this rating system, and only broadcasts watched live, or in recorded form the same day, are given AI scores. More extensive surveys, covering more channels and including programmes recorded for viewing within a week of broadcast, are occasionally carried out by smaller panels.

Wait so the AI is just an out-of-ten ranking system? And the average is fucking 8.2?

theguardian.com/global/2017/apr/09/pearl-mackie-doctor-who-interview-companion-not-many-like-me-on-tv

>She questions things that haven’t been questioned in a really long time, which is fun.” Bill will also be openly gay. “It shouldn’t be a big deal in the 21st century. It’s about time, isn’t it?”

>She maintains a vigorous Twitter account which doesn’t shy away from tweets of a political bent, referencing Black Lives Matter and talking about both Trump and Brexit.

>“I just think you can’t not have an opinion about the current state of the world and if I’ve got a slight platform to raise awareness about things, then that’s a great thing to use it for.”

Powerful stuff.

The 10th? Hopefully. There's a whole lotta stories to put in, and I have to set up the spreadsheet too.

Hardmode: standardize the distribution and then see how Who stacks up

Oof, sorry I missed this user. Just answering this from the ground up, assuming no familiarity with the subject ...

One of the things Brecht loved (and "Love and Monsters" did well) was alienating the audience so they reexamine their own interpretations. For instance, Brecht's musical "The Threepenny Opera" deconstructed all kinds of tropes popular in plays at the time, and the main characters would regularly break the fourth wall and talk straight to the audience, usually about Marxism. (Fourth wall break so audience immersion would be ruined and the scene would be obviously fictional. He loved to use exaggeration for the same effect, eg in the parody-of-a-happy-ending ending.)

Anyway the Opera got super famous, so seven years later Brecht released "The Threepenny Novel", which retold the story from new points of view: mainly in-universe newspaper articles and cameras (which all seem objective but ... are you really sure?), and also this one every-day ordinary character who wasn't even mentioned in the original. The whole point is to show how the main story affected the lives of regular people and get the audience to reconsider their interpretation: "Why on Earth was I rooting for Mack during the Opera?!?" There's a pretty good summary of it all over at tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/TheThreepennyNovel

Obviously this all matches strongly with "Love and Monsters":
>emphasis on fictionality via exaggeration (Scooby Doo running bit)
>emphasis on fictionality via fourth wall breaks (Elton talking straight to the audience)
>new perspectives via subjective everyman (Elton and LINDA)
>new perspectives via "objective" media (media snippets and camera recordings)
>bad guy being the Brechtian/Marxist trope of a rich evil gluttonous sleazy capitalist bastard
So that's what I was referring to.

Hey guys, "trip obsessed user" here

Just updating you on my trip OCs. Pic related is a sneak peek. I don't know what her name is yet, but I ship her with Cats. They're both communist SJWs, but unlike him, she is a massive RTDfag. She also hasn't seen a single episode of Classic Who. Can the relationship last?

>she
Make her non-binary. They already look the part with hair like that, plus it's important for diversity.

The concept of a "trip OC" is fucking hilarious. For once i approve of your wacky hijinks

>Trip OC

how many steps left until people create their own trip OCs and trip-post roleplaying as them

That's a great idea, thanks.
Basically I come up with fake trips, and then I ship them with existing trips. The initial set will have 10 trips, all with their own unique personalities. Stay tuned.

face reveal

Disrespect me again and I ship you with someone really ugly.

Trip obsessed user will SAVE /who/. The only way to counter excessive trip hate is excessive trip love. They'll cancel each other out.

Why would I wanna lick her fierce arch game or suck dem long toes?

Please forgive me user

The OC trips will be very diverse. /who/ is a whitewash.

we have a black trip, an asian trip, a female trip and a gay trip
how much more diverse can you get?

/who/ ranks who soon pls

Must allow ample time to make absolute certain all boardies have cleared out. Next weekend should be good.

Instead of getting the wig colour right from the start, they had to go through and painfully edit his hair colour white.

About a year ago, I was posting short reviews of the NAs, but I took a long break and only picked them back up a couple of months ago. I found reviewing them helped me put my thoughts in order, so here I go again with the ones I read recently.

So, Tragedy Day: *yawn*.
I can understand the idea to have a more lightweight novel after the big five-book arc, but this was a bit too lightweight. In fact, it was utterly pointless.
On the surface, it's got a lot of stuff going on. Robot duplicates, alien bounty hunters, a teenage dictator, interdimensional friars, and a deadly dancefloor that might be a reference to "Death to the Daleks". Unfortunately, it doesn't make anything interesting out of all that stuff. The plot is your basic "run away from the bad guys, get captured and outwit them" yarn. Characters get introduced and thrown away willy-nilly when they are no longer needed. None of the good ideas are developed enough to make them interesting. I want to stress that there's nothing wrong with it on the surface: the story keeps moving fairly quickly, the writing style is fine, the characterization is acceptable. It just never seems to take itself seriously and never tries to be anything more than disposable fun, which I guess would be fine if it was fun, but I never laughed.
In some ways, it's similar to "The Highest Science", except messier and with a weaker plot. "Conundrum" was the right way to do a fun book full of odd characters. This was the wrong way. 4/10

What were your prior ratings of the NA novels you read a year ago?

Legacy: poor.
This had the same problem as other Gary Russell books I've read: characters that never once feel like anything more than puppets of the author and a story that takes a very long time to get moving.
First of all there's a long ang completely unnecessary prologue about Peladon's first king. Then we get to the Doctor and Benny, who take a long while to get to Peladon themselves. When the action finally starts, it's a passable murder mystery. Probably the best part of the book is Benny getting to talk to some Ice Warriors and showing off her knowledge of Martian history. Ace, on the other hand, is sidelined for the entirety of the book, chasing an intelligent diadem that should be the main villain, but once it shows up its contribution to the plot is minimal. There's also a subplot about Peladon's new king learning how to reign, but as I said all the characters are flat at best and irritating at worst, so it was impossible for me to care.
I'm struggling to find something else to say about Legacy but it's just that uninteresting.Overall, another boring book. 3/10
Thankfully the next two are better, I'll probably write something about them tomorrow.

You have a foot fetish, dude.

>Captcha: overton crescent
Indeed, captcha. Well played.

Some of these have changed and might change again, but...
Genesys 5/10
Exodus 7/10
Apocalypse 3/10
Revelation 7/10
Time's Crucible 6/10
Warhead 7/10
Witch Mark 1/10
Nightshade 6/10
Love and War 8/10
Transit 10/10 (not a popular opinion, I've discovered)
The Highest Science 5/10
The Pit 2/10
Deceit 4/10
Lucifer Rising 9/10
White Darkness 5/10
Shadowmind 6/10
Birthright 7/10
Iceberg 4/10
Blood Heat 8/10
The Dimension Riders 7/10
The Left-Handed Hummingbird 7/10
Conundrum 9/10
No Future 6/10
Tragedy Day 4/10
Legacy 3/10
And the next two should be:
Theatre of War 7/10
All-Consuming Fire 8/10

Whoops, I deleted a bit of your post number

>Justin Richards will never convince the BBC or Chibnall to bring back monthly Doctor Who novels

Finally got back to the War Master audios. Skyman is great so far, loving The Master's fatherly yet mocking aura towards Cole

Do you think we could have The Five Masters on Big Finish now that Briggs says they have rights to 12th Doctor era?
Gomez
Simm
Jacobi
Macqueen
Roberts

The Seven Masters

Briggs as Delgado Master
Briggs as Ainley Master

I'd pay to see that shitshow.
But no Gatiss Master

It's sad how BF can't have Roberts back as the Master because of rights issues about the TV movie. He'll take just about any job, he'd be all over BF.

>Eric Roberts, of all people, voiced the kitty, and recorded his lines in 15 minutes. “I just called him up and said, ‘Hey Eric, can you do the voice in my talking cat movie?’ He said, ‘Sure, when do you want to do it?’ I said, ‘How about now?’”

Amazing. Well, they got the actor for Grace, and I think the Asian Child in two audios as different characters. Maybe one day...

did you know that the writer/director/producer of A Talking Cat (David Decoteau) has done a shitton of softcore gay porn using that same house?
youtube.com/watch?v=2l9wy9G08R4

Did you know:
Originally, there was supposed to be a regeneration scene in Scream of the Shalka. The scene was in fact drawn and animated, and all ready to go. However it was canceled when Richard E Grant refused to work with Paul McGann, who kept running up behind Richard E Grant in the vocal recording booth and screaming "And I..." for over two and a half minutes at a time from Whitney Houston's popular hit song at the top of his lungs behind Richard E Grant and ruining every single take.

who are you?

He's Nacho

6 out of 10 trip OCs have been designed

why are you stopping at monogamous relationships?

Who said I am?